As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe + Gameswipe starting now!

2»

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I've just noticed Gameswipe is on BBC 4 today, I'm pretty sure it's the first episode. It starts in a few minutes but I'm sure someone will have it up on youtube by tomorrow.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think Gameswipe might just be a one-off special. It was still very good, although those two guys talking about English retro seemed pretty obnoxious.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's almost certainly a thinly disguised pilot. One which apparently rated much better then screen or news wipe.

Leitner on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    I think Gameswipe might just be a one-off special. It was still very good, although those two guys talking about English retro seemed pretty obnoxious.

Man, I loved those guys. Hearing a couple of hipsters with barely-comprehensible brogues holding forth on the virtues of a game where you mow a lawn was a pretty amazing novelty for me at least.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    Those two guys are the pair behind Consolevania and Videogaiden, episodes of which can be grabbed off youtube. They went a bit wonky near the end, but in the main their shows were funny, accurate, original and honest. And also rude.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    For those that don't kno, Brooker hosted a panel quiz show on Channel 4 called "you have been watching"

Funny stuff

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bogart wrote: »
    Those two guys are the pair behind Consolevania and Videogaiden, episodes of which can be grabbed off youtube. They went a bit wonky near the end, but in the main their shows were funny, accurate, original and honest. And also rude.

Wonky? They went beyond post-modernism and beyond, they deconstructed the very idea of web-epsiode delivered television constructing a antediluvian meta-space in which only there logic made sense.

Wonky indeed!

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That's one way of putting it. Another way is to say the started banging up three minute shots of nothing much with fuzzy noise in the background and then bragging about how great it was. I just think they got bored in the end.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Pfft, philistine.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2009
    Sounds like bollocks to me.

Tube on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Wonky? They went beyond post-modernism and beyond, they deconstructed the very idea of web-epsiode delivered television constructing a antediluvian meta-space in which only there logic made sense.

Wonky indeed!

Thank you for that Nathan Barley.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I don't even know what antediluvian means, it just felt right as I was typing.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    edited October 2009
    History before the biblical flood, I believe.

Wikipedia says I'm right.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I never thought I would see Dara O' Brien talking about Gears of War

As for the rest of the show, its like Brooker is trying to be ZeroPunctuation, in a slightly awkward television version.

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Interesting that at the end he chose Klyka's Lets play of fear 2 I thought. did no one else notice this?

pabh on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    As for the rest of the show, its like Brooker is trying to be ZeroPunctuation, in a slightly awkward television version.

I'm sure there's a face palm gif around here somewhere.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    edited October 2009

I've been reading Brooker since he still wrote for PCZone and I know that ZeroPunctuation is basically Yatzee impersonating him, but in the show it just seemed the other way around and awkward

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, i've seen that sentiment on other forums as well, it's always makes me a little sad inside when people seem to think that yahtzee was the first person to ever be sarky about games.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    pabh wrote: »
    Interesting that at the end he chose Klyka's Lets play of fear 2 I thought. did no one else notice this?

Wait, seriously? Does Klyka know of this?

Son of a bitch, I have to watch this tonight.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I've been reading Brooker since he still wrote for PCZone and I know that ZeroPunctuation is basically Yatzee impersonating him, but in the show it just seemed the other way around and awkward

Really? Gameswipe struck me as being pretty similar to his other shows, Newswipe and Screenwipe, and pretty much nothing like ZeroPunctuation.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Was that really Klyka?

If it was, he can officially say Charlie Brooker didn't call him mental

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Comparisons to zeropunctuation are stupid. The two shows are nothing alike.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Comparisons to zeropunctuation are stupid. The two shows are nothing alike.

Except when showing zeropunctuation to people for the first thing 80% of those people have said (not a made up stat, I've shown it to 5 people) is "This is ver similar to Charlie Brooker isn't it?" or variations there of.
    So there's naturally going to be comparisons even f the actual formats are totally different. They are henw from the same literate criticism DNA.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Was that really Klyka?

If it was, he can officially say Charlie Brooker didn't call him mental

It was definitely his playthrough of FEAR 2, I know this as I had just watched it.

pabh on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I think the similarities go as far as 'very sarcastic' and 'inventive swearing'.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Just watched it, and thought it was really good. Same format and style as Newswipe and Screenwipe, except obviously about games. Hope there's more.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I think the similarities go as far as 'very sarcastic' and 'inventive swearing'.

also 'british'

pabh on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Klyka says it's not him. I wasn't sure it sounded like his voice, but it's been a long time since I've heard it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Guys, you are talking about that FEAR 2 segment where the LPer goes all "OMG AWESOME!!!" right?

Cause that is NOT me. OMG that is not my beautiful German voice. How can you do this to me? :cry:

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    oh hell yes.
    anyway, did newswipe die off or something? it was pretty interesting.
    heh, i discovered newswipe when someone compared it to zero punctuation, when i was still into it.

Fuga on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like this. I don't see it as serving the same need as a review, really, but I appreciate the way he is a person on television talking about video games and yet I don't feel the need to punch through the screen.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    oh nooo cod4 spoiled

Fuga on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fuga wrote: »
    oh hell yes.
    heh, i discovered newswipe when someone compared it to zero punctuation, when i was still into it.

Newswipe's not dead as such - just ran for its 6-episode series and hasn't been renewed as yet. Like Brasseye, Nathan Barley, Dead Set, You Have Been Watching - in fact, pretty much everything he's ever done apart from Screenwipe (which had the advantage of an existing viewerbase from his Guardian column). Hopefully this one's viewing figures will justify it, however - at least with the BBC you don't have to worry about demographics or whatever.

I hope they indulge some of Brooker's more insane tendencies if this goes any further. When he wrote for PC Zone he pulled stuff like graphically eating his own arse, calling up tech support lines for publishers with irritating personas to test their dedication, and even getting the magazine pulled at one point for a particularly tasteless cartoon. Sample: kid beating a baboon into a fleshy pulp with a claw hammer.

I agree that there needs to be more of Gameswipe, if only for the previously-stated reason that it's the first games-related program I've seen that I could stand to have somebody else in the room at the same time with (sorry VideoGaiden!).

Bioptic on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bioptic wrote: »
    Fuga wrote: »
    oh hell yes.

Newswipe's not dead as such - just ran for its 6-episode series and hasn't been renewed as yet. Like Brasseye, Nathan Barley, Dead Set, You Have Been Watching - in fact, pretty much everything he's ever done apart from Screenwipe (which had the advantage of an existing viewerbase from his Guardian column). Hopefully this one's viewing figures will justify it, however - at least with the BBC you don't have to worry about demographics or whatever.

I hope they indulge some of Brooker's more insane tendencies if this goes any further. When he wrote for PC Zone he pulled stuff like graphically eating his own arse, calling up tech support lines for publishers with irritating personas to test their dedication, and even getting the magazine pulled at one point for a particularly tasteless cartoon. Sample: kid beating a baboon into a fleshy pulp with a claw hammer.

I agree that there needs to be more of Gameswipe, if only for the previously-stated reason that it's the first games-related program I've seen that I could stand to have somebody else in the room at the same time with (sorry VideoGaiden!).

gamesmaster.jpg

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The only crime in the entire show was failing to mention Bad Influence, which was a brilliant games show on ITV.

As for indulging Brooker, I get the feeling that he probably wouldn't do the kind of stuff you're on about there. He seems to have mellowed a lot since the PC Zone days. Although the complaints letters at the end were the best bit about the magazine.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I remember Bad Influence. It was that and Gamesmaster where I got all of my gaming information.

Ahhh such primitive days.

Glad that he mentioned that VR show with Craig Charles. Man that was awesome to me as a ten year old.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Clearly a pilot, but apparently more popular than the ratings for screenwipe OR newswipe, so we'll surely be seeing more.

A friend of mine and I have been on a Brooker binge lately, and capped it off with watching Dead Set tonight. All the 'housemates' are so perfectly cast, and Davina is utterly fantastic. Also I have no doubts that the insults 'you foetus' and 'you specimen' will soon enter our local parlance.

EddieDean on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "do you know how air works, or is the world just colours and shapes to you?"

Tube on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I thought it was ok, but I think I prefer newswipe or screenwipe.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    almighty_monkeyalmighty_monkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If I saw 'Push Myleen Class into a canal' as a feature on a game, I'd buy it. No question.

Screenwipe I find to tend to be a bit hit-and-miss, but the gameswipe pilot/test/whatever was defenitely more in the hit list for me.

almighty_monkey on
    Guitar!