As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40k: We don't need no guardsmen, let the M'Fers burn

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    News from the Apoc game. No time for full report right now but here are the two greatest moments in the game.

Turn 5. The Warhound Titan Fruitus Raptus finally sucums to fire from two Stompas and a Necron Pylon. It's reactor overloads and everything within 24 inches dies in a horrible searing death. All of it friendly targets.

Turn 3. Stormtrooper Hicks, one of Schaeffer's 'Last Chancers,' deep strikes behind a mob of 15 lootas. Doing his duty to the Emperor to absolve him of his past wrong doings Hicks calls the awaiting cruiser in orbit. After the smoke of the orbital bombardment clears all the Orks are dead and Hicks survives unharmed. He then proceeds to charge within and inch of an Ork Stompa and call in another orbital strike. While not harming the huge construction, Hicks again survives the ordeal. Hicks manages to survive the battle. As the only surviving 'Last Chancer,' Hicks is returned to his original unit with a citation for bravery.

As an aside, I'll be painting two mushroom clouds on Hicks's shoulder armor to memorialize his surviving two orbital bombardments centered on himself.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That's awesome, tim.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    And this is why I want to play IG. Thanks, Tim :P

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    everyone should play IG

seriously!

it is immensely satisfying to face down superevil sadistic space elves, green fungal soccer hooligans, Lovecraftian robot monstrosities from beyond time, and endless hordes of chittering insectoid horrors and defeat them, knowing that your army is made of nothing more than normal dudes with some neat guns.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    But then if everyone's playing IG, who will be left to play the superevil sadistic space elves, green fungal soccer hooligans, Lovecraftian robot monstrosities from beyond time, and endless hordes of chittering insectoid horrors?

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ianator wrote: »
    But then if everyone's playing IG, who will be left to play the superevil sadistic space elves, green fungal soccer hooligans, Lovecraftian robot monstrosities from beyond time, and endless hordes of chittering insectoid horrors?

Wussies.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    well it's not like everyone exclusively plays IG. You can take turns being the coolest army ever

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    well it's not like everyone exclusively plays IG. You can take turns being the coolest army ever

Quotin' dis

I lol'd

SJ on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That should be the title for the new 40k thread

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Well I do, so there.:P

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Warhammer 40k: Drawing Straws for IG

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    If anything I've learned some good lessons from this apoc game.

1: Whenever fielding a Warhound Titan, ALWAYS run it as fast as possible into the enemy units. It will do far more damage when it blows up than it did shooting. Even if it doesn't, the enemy wasted tons of shooting and assaults to try and take it down.

2: Stormtroopers are awesome. Technically Hicks wasn't a Stormie but I doubt any other model would have survived. The knowledge that he was a better model allowed him to live.

3: All of my stormies now need "inspirational" text on their armor. Examples like Death from Above, Open head, insert fist , and This end towards enemy crudely applied to various areas of their armor will do wonders for their morale.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I vaguely remember a IG which comprised of Orkz in too-small guard armor, little hats and everything.

Truly, the bestest army ever.

Verr on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, let me know if you guys think this would be appropriate:

Ork boys pained in human flesh color, with top hats and monocle's. They would be used as kommando's(I have way more regular boys than I need, so I want to convert some).

Would this be good enough to call them kommando's, basically?

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I played my combined SoB/IG 4k army today - in one game against orks, out of 23 possible kill points, I gave up 3. The ork player just could not kill my squads down to the last model, and it didn't help that I the final lists I used were took full advantage of each army. The sisters were geared up with flamers, and everything else that would make them burny stabby rippy death at close range, while my IG were a metric butt-tonne of tanks, with the infantry manning lascannons and mortars set themselves up in fortified firing positions in my back field.

The penitent engines were just nasty. They got stuck in with kans, and boys and just kept tying up units and blocking LoS.

The first game was against teamed up Khorne and Nurgle CSM. Highpoint of that game was after a turn of heavy fire, I'd managed to put one wound on a daemon prince. Outflanking Hardened Vets rode on in a Chimera from the side, and targeted the Prince with the multi-laser. Three hits, three wounds, one dead daemon prince. It was glorious. The Khorne player had his own daemon prince in cover next to the recently deceased one, and he booked it across the board to go ripshit on my Demolisher, rather than risk the wrath of the vets. ^_^ I ended up losing that game 6 KP to 7, but only because I screwed up in the last turn, allowing Chaos to get 3 kp off me in the final assault phase. It would've been tied too, if only my ratlings had rolled 1 higher on their break test, and escaped the wrath of the Raptors.

So, I'm sorry I'm not getting to take part in Ein's paintathon, but I did have a darn good weekend anyways.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Raslin wrote: »
    So, let me know if you guys think this would be appropriate:

Ork boys pained in human flesh color, with top hats and monocle's. They would be used as kommando's(I have way more regular boys than I need, so I want to convert some).

Would this be good enough to call them kommando's, basically?

I'm surprised you didn't break the internet with how awesome this idea is.

EDIT: But I would paint them normal ork color first, then crappily apply flesh toned paint like a sneaky ork would.

Verr on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Killpoints and horde armies don't mix well.. my poor nids.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's a glaring flaw in the new rules. They must've been high.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Horde armies don't have a problem with killpoints, only if you take lots and lots of really small squads do you have problems

SJ on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Query regarding Dicehammer.

Tim: How did it work for you / did it work for you?

Second: This was my initial menu mockup

http://fusedcreations.com/adam/mockup2.jpg

Given what the 'GENERAL DICE' thing can already do, is 'shooting' and 'close combat' redundant? I'm trying to figure out what I might put in there. The problem I'm having is that while I can set it up to take the firer's BS and target's toughness, for example, in Shooting, all that effectively does is select the filter (4+) for you, and including that sort of thing might be trouble as far as GW's IP goes. (Terms like BS in a gaming situation, and also the necessary inclusion of the stats off their chart as to what BS and what T produces what necessary filter). The same pretty much goes for Close Combat.

Vehicles may be different, in that you are able to implement vehicle damage rolls and that sort of thing.

'Deployment' is easy enough - scatter dice, and a way of generating mission and deployment types.

Basically I'm just trying to discover what else is desired with this.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ein wrote: »
    Query regarding Dicehammer.

Tim: How did it work for you / did it work for you?

Second: This was my initial menu mockup

http://fusedcreations.com/adam/mockup2.jpg

Given what the 'GENERAL DICE' thing can already do, is 'shooting' and 'close combat' redundant? I'm trying to figure out what I might put in there. The problem I'm having is that while I can set it up to take the firer's BS and target's toughness, for example, in Shooting, all that effectively does is select the filter (4+) for you, and including that sort of thing might be trouble as far as GW's IP goes. (Terms like BS in a gaming situation, and also the necessary inclusion of the stats off their chart as to what BS and what T produces what necessary filter). The same pretty much goes for Close Combat.

Vehicles may be different, in that you are able to implement vehicle damage rolls and that sort of thing.

'Deployment' is easy enough - scatter dice, and a way of generating mission and deployment types.

Basically I'm just trying to discover what else is desired with this.

I'll tell you what, everything was so completely chaotic that I totally forgot to use it. D:

You can ask SJ. It was a madhouse. People yelling, bottles of glue flying through the air, rules being disputed, cats and dogs living together, I actually think one part of the table was two turns ahead at one point...

Warhammer 40k is serious business.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    killpoints are absolutely retarded and considering how well the rest of 5th edition works I have no idea where the hell the idea came from

sure is great that two squads of 32 hormagaunts have the same value as a single five-man command squad!

incidentally, what was wrong with victory points?

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    WARHAMS WARHAMS WARHAMS WARHAMS WARHAMS

This shit is SERIOUS BZN GYS

I also think it's hilarious that no one argues more than the father and son.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    killpoints are absolutely retarded and considering how well the rest of 5th edition works I have no idea where the hell the idea came from

sure is great that two squads of 32 hormagaunts have the same value as a single five-man command squad!

incidentally, what was wrong with victory points?

The problem isn't killpoints really, the problem is the 3rd/4th ed codexes that aren't updated yet.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    SJ wrote: »
    WARHAMS WARHAMS WARHAMS WARHAMS WARHAMS

This shit is SERIOUS BZN GYS

I also think it's hilarious that no one argues more than the father and son.

Oh god, that was hilarious. I though fists were going to fly. Do you know what was going on in the last turn down around my Baneblade? I was all the way on the other side of the room doing the assaults of my Vets on that last objective. I heard lots of raised voices arguing something about how my Baneblade cannon was destroyed even though I rolled a 4+ because it was a primary weapon and that is should have been a structure point or something. ect. ect. Roland was down there sorting my end out against Mark so I think it was ok.

New slogan for Apoc.

"Apocolypse! Rolling saves when people tell you to because you have no idea what's going on."

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited January 2009
    would someone bust a nut if I gave a model two bolters in each hand?

I mean I don't expect to get any benefit out of it, and space wolves can hold a bolter one-handed anyways, so I figured "Why not? it's cool!"

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm not sure about two bolters in each hand

space marines have big hands, but they aren't that big.

but no, I don't think anyone would care

the model may have two bolters, but it only has ammo for one / can only fire one a turn anyways

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    would someone bust a nut if I gave a model two bolters in each hand?

I mean I don't expect to get any benefit out of it, and space wolves can hold a bolter one-handed anyways, so I figured "Why not? it's cool!"

ITS TWIN LINKED YOU CANT USE IT LOLOL

I personally would just think that its awesome, and since there arn't actually any rules (as far as I know?) regarding two bolters, I don't think anyone could really do anything if they really wanted to criticize it.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I have a really cool model that is dual wielding plasma pistols just because I thought it would be awesome...

Just tell people its your cooler version of double tapping :P

Nax on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited January 2009
    yeah, I never expected it to derive any benefit from it, just wanted to make a cooler mode. I was worried I was committing some Warhammer faux pa or something.

thanks guys.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The general rule is that if you're playing someone who is going to give you a hard time about it, then stop playing that person :P

Nax on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I would really love to make a bunch of dudes dressed like Neophytes-- more armored looking Scouts-- and be all "these guys are wearing force fields which have the same values as regular marine armor" just because I like that look so much.

Have them be a renegade Chapter on the run for dealing with Xenos or something. Maybe they use Xeno tech aside from their force-field armor, but hate the Inquisition. Use some kind of memory archive tech and cloning tech to have a kind of immortality or something.

That's really cheesy, isn't it?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Maybe a little cheesy. But 100% badass.

Edit: But who is Xenos? Just curious.

another e: And example of being ultra cheesy yet still awesome:

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The xenos are the aliens. Eldar, Orkz, Nids, Necrons-- everyone that is not human. Possibly everyone that is not part of the Imperium. I think there were some human, non-imperial aliens around, but they were destroyed during the Great Crusade.

The Deathwatch is the fighting part of the Ordo Xenos.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OK first things first- Whoever said that horde armies suck for Kill Points; bear in mind that you should be rolling for Mission Type, and 2 out of those 3 Missions are Objective Based-a game type at which horde armies featuring a larger number of squads stocked with smaller numbers of models will excel. More units = more objectives held.

EDIT: In fact at Gamesday in Baltimore over the summer, I remember Phil Kelly himself talking about how during the early Mission testing he kept taking Nid lists with a larger number of swarms stocked with fewer bugs. He assumed that 2/3 games would be objective based which his list was well suited for. But, then they ended up rolling Kill Points for the mission 8 games in a row. So he was like "To remedy this, I could either take a more balanced list, OR cross my fingers and hope the mission/ deployment type supports my lists." It's a balance mechanism which forces you to put more thought into your list.

For example, on the flip-side of that coin, my Thousand Sons are well suited to Kill Point games given that I have a lesser number of units (that are harder to take down) for you to kill. However, I don't perform as well in Objective games considering I usually only have 4 scoring units even in 2.5k. They're well protected with invulns (the Rubrics have a 4+ and the Tzeentchian CSM squads have a 5+) but I don't possess many actual units to take and contest objectives the way Orks or bugs would. Food for thought my brothers. :winky:

ANYWAY I played two 2.5k games today. I'll post more about them tomorrow, because it's 3am, but here's some tidbits.

The first game was the 2 Objective game type (One in mine Deploy Zone, one in his) against Black Templars in which I was resoundly beaten. The second was a Kill Point game against Ultramarines (including Marneus Calgar and a Termie Libby screwing up my psychic rolls with his Hood). I wont 10 KPs to 4. Yeah, I hosed him, had the game gone another turned I might have scored 3 more KPs.

8-)

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've been assembling my space marines with no idea about how I'll make them into an actual army, I think I need some help figuring out a list as I'm really lost here. I'm used to making Ork and Tau lists which let me actually take more than 5 units at 1500 points :P

I'm going for a list with some static elements to hold objectives and the rest mostly mounted on bikes. Sort of White Scarish as I don't want to use terminators, land raiders and most likely no dreadnoughts. I was going for a 1500 points list and just added what I have and what I would like to assemble/paint and suddenly I'm at 1750 points D:

I'd love some comments on this since I'm really in the dark here, having not actually played with marines yet.

HQ - Captain (Relic Blade, Bike) - 165

Troop - 10 Tactical (Plasma, Lascannon, Powerfist, Razorback) - 250

Troop - 10 Tactical (Plasma, Multi-melta, Powerfist, Drop pod) - 215

Troop - 10 Scouts (Telion, Snipers, Heavy Bolter, Camo cloaks) - 227

Troop - 6 Bikes (Power Weapon, 2 Plasmagun) - 210

Troop - 6 Bikes (Power Weapon, 2 Meltagun) - 200

Fast - 1 Land Speeder (Heavy Bolter, Typhoon missile launchers) - 90

Fast - 2 Attack bike (Multi-melta) - 100

Fast - 4 Scout bikes (1 Grenade Launcher, Cluster mines, Combi-melta, Meltabombs) - 125

Heavy - Predator (Autocannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons) - 85

Heavy - Predator (Autocannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons) - 85

Total: 1750pts

Think I should make space to replace the cpatain with the White Scars special character? would be cool to have a bunch of outflanking stuff.

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I would really love to make a bunch of dudes dressed like Neophytes-- more armored looking Scouts-- and be all "these guys are wearing force fields which have the same values as regular marine armor" just because I like that look so much.

Have them be a renegade Chapter on the run for dealing with Xenos or something. Maybe they use Xeno tech aside from their force-field armor, but hate the Inquisition. Use some kind of memory archive tech and cloning tech to have a kind of immortality or something.

That's really cheesy, isn't it?

It was pretty cheesy even before the 'memory archive' bit. Xenos-dealing Renegade Chatpers/Companies are one thing, but I've heard 'they have their own unique tech but they hate the Inquisition' fan chatpers about two dozen times now. If you're looking for a progressive, politically-conscious army, Space Marines are rather far from the best fit. :P

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well, the Space Wolves do things differently and hate the Inquisition, and I think the Iron Hands are kind of in the same boat.

I read about other Xenos somewhere, probably on Lexicanum about a human society whose technology was greater than the imperium. It was less devoted to ass-kicking galactic megolomania though, so I think the Imperium genocide'd them. The Interex.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ah, but that was all a big misunderstanding!

I.e.
    bloody Word Bearers.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, there's a lot of advanced alien/offshoot human empires in the background, they're either dead, too regional or don't field armies big enough to show up in the TT game.

Those Chapters don't exactly 'hate' the Inquisition, the SW just don't get along with them or many other organizations. But that's common of a lot of Chapters (and a given if they're Renegades), so it's not much of a defining characteristic unless you cheese it out. Just saying.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif