As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ghostbusters - Out NOW! - Bustin' makes us feel good.

1454647484951»

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think this game got very, very unfairly panned. Was it perfect? No. Did it have some great Ghostbusters stuff? Yes, yes it did. And this being the first game of its type, bad reviews hurt it tremendously. They managed to get almost the entire original cast (and all of the actual Ghostbusters) together for the game, and then reviewers bitched about stupid crap like the perfectly good controls. Not to mention labeling Bill Murray's stuff as second-rate when that's how he always is. I mean, if you can't find Bill Murray funny as-is, there's a serious mental malfunction there.

Of course, it didn't really help that there was online coop but only for very tiny "missions" rather than the actual game. But if this game is what helps bring about a 3rd movie, I think the actors involved will agree it was worth it. Did you know Bill Murray absolutely refused for years to do a Ghostbusters sequel unless he was a CG ghost? But he ended up liking making the game so much that he changed his mind and decided he'd be okay with a sequel.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lars wrote: »
    Only real complaints I had were that if you couldn't get Sigourney Weaver you should have just left the love interest plot out of the game (or at the very least given it to a different character instead of Peter, especially since I don't think they ever say why he's not with Dana), and that if they must have us play as a new silent rookie character he should have at least been customizable (I understand the Wii version apparently let you pick male or female versions but that was it).

Oh, and screw them for having in-game preorder bonuses spread across multiple stores and never releasing them as DLC. I lucked out and ended up with the GB2 suit, but never got the extra characters for multiplayer (don't really care about the golden proton pack). I would have gladly dropped a few bucks for DLC to play as Brian Doyle Murphy and the zombie in the GB suit. But nope, had to preorder at Best Buy or whatever if you wanted that.

Aside from that I thoroughly enjoyed the game. Sure, the plot got a little too video game-y at points but I forgive them for that, and a lot of it was great.
    Plus we get new bits of lore, like the fact that Gozor only gets one destructor form per dimension and so it is stuck as the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man anytime it manages to manifest in our world. And we got a bunch of background on Ivo Shandor (who was not played by Peewee Herman like they had originally intended when he was going to appear in the first movie) and we got to see what the infant version of a slor looked like ("Many slubs and zuuls knew what it was to roast in the belly of the slor that day, I can tell you.").

Also, didn't they tie Vigo's slime into it all somehow? It's been a while and my memory is fuzzy but I think at some point on Shandor Isle they link all the slime there to the slime running through the sewers that Vigo was using.

Uh, to be fair, all of that "lore" was just a way to work in fan-service. I didn't complain one bit because it gave me an excuse to shoot a proton pack at Stay-Puft, but, you know, if you're thinking it's anything besides a hand-waved explanation for doing shit you wanted to do since you were a kid....

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Personally I loved the way this game acts as more of a direct sequel to the first film while remaining true to both films (and, occasionally, The Real Ghostbusters). I haven't finished it yet, though - I'm on the final boss, which is an absolute bitch, but my dad has my PS3 and has had it for the last few months, so I won't be finishing it any time soon.

Although I did pick it up in the Steam sale for $6 a couple of months ago and have been slowly picking at it from the beginning again. You know it's a good game when you're happy to re-purchase it for another format (case in point: I think I own almost every version of Worms game ever made, including the crappy GameBoy Color version of Worms Armageddon).

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Gibbs wrote: »
    I am still extremely disappointed it didn't sell well.

In a perfect world, we'd be playing Ghostbusters: The Second Game by now.

Well, I think the game at least sparked interest in a new movie. I have heard murmurs.

The murmurs might have just been the Denver Ghostbusters being in Times Square not too long ago. :P

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ooooh 350 points on goozex. Time to start watching it. Want to play the game, sounds fun. Whats the best version though? 360 or Wii? I remember hearing they're completely different.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I actually enjoyed this game quite a bit. I ended up getting it for cheap on PC, with a free tshirt.

Having a computer that could run it at maxed out settings, it was quite the experience.

I really wish it had done better critically and sales wise. I would love for a sequel.

Talkc on
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    While I agree that you should've been able to design the Rookie, I think the silent protagonist aspect worked out pretty well. It was a good way to not mess with the original four's dynamic.
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Ooooh 350 points on goozex. Time to start watching it. Want to play the game, sounds fun. Whats the best version though? 360 or Wii? I remember hearing they're completely different.

I'd say the 360 version is the best version in general, superior to both the Wii and PS3 versions (though only graphically in the latter case). I'll admit I've never played the Wii version, though, so I can't speak as an authority.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I got stuck at the cherubs and the gate. Never got past it, either.

Renzo on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Wii version fit my taste of both co-op and graphics.

Though I may just try to pick up the PS3 version thanks to this thread.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The problem with Ghostbusters is that

a) there is no co-op
    b) there is no multiplayer on the PC version for no reason
    c) it's short as fuck
    d) the only guy turning in a truly great performance is Dan Akroyd

Other than that though, this game is totally awesome

I love the music at the title screen, especially

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Growing up, Ghostbusters (both the movies and the cartoons) was my favorite franchise from the 80's. While most of my friends were more interested in Thundercats, TMNT, etc etc, I was diligently watching Ghostbusters.

This game was, in a lot of ways, everything I ever wanted out of a ghostbusters game. I wanted to bust ghosts with the original cast. I didn't want to talk, I just wanted to be a part of it.

I was very disappointed to discover that my PC version didn't have any multiplayer.

Honestly, the one thing I really would have liked would have been some kind of free roam game. You get a bunch of random missions to bust ghosts for money to buy upgrades. Maybe it all culminates in a fight with Gozer.

Heck...a complete recreation of the first two movies would have been fun.

Overally this game was a ton of fun. I've played through it several times (especially the first sections, I liked it better when I didn't have too many weapons).

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Also, the sheer destructability of the game is still really impressive

Looking around after you've busted the last ghost and seeing that you have severely fucked up the place is totally awesome

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

Looking around after you've busted the last ghost and seeing that you have severely fucked up the place is totally awesome

That is what impressed me the most. In the hotel especially. There were a couple of times i decided to just go apeshit and destroy everything.

Talkc on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Talkc wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »

That is what impressed me the most. In the hotel especially. There were a couple of times i decided to just go apeshit and destroy everything.

And then Peter congratulates you for causing so much destruction in less than three hours.

I'll agree, the destructibility is a good chunk of the fun. I just finished the library, and I loved seeing books and pages go flying around all over the place, and the Collector tearing up every scrap of furniture in the room simultaneously to form his body.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, this game made me really appreciate a highly destructible environment. I say this as someone who has rarely given a crap about (or even noticed) this sort of stuff.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    Jolt ColaJolt Cola Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I kept getting hung up in geometry or having ghosts get stuck behind walls and not being able to continue. I really wanted to like this game, maybe I'll try it again sometime and pray I don't get caught by crippling bugs again.

Jolt Cola on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Renzo wrote: »
    I got stuck at the cherubs and the gate. Never got past it, either.

Ditto. I was reading this thread thinking, "Man...I should go back to that game", but I just rememebred those FUCKING CHERUBS I NEVER FUCKING BEAT.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Good game.

Great experience.

Kinda cruddy gameplay, especially that part.

It all added up to being the ultimate rental. I'm glad I played it and got a good laugh from the old cast members, but I'm also glad I didn't drop 60 bucks on it, nor do I have any desire to ever play it again.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just press yourself right up against the gate, they will eventually crash into it own their own. Easy and doesn't take long. No need for tethering.

Ceno on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Cherubs kind of drove me up the wall, but overall I felt it was a great experience. I even played it on my old computer, which meant that the final boss encounter was literally a slideshow unless I lowered the graphics and resolution to the point that it looked like Quake. The original one. I guess I'd milked that PC for all it was worth, but I snagged a new one in March that made short work of that same area, so now that this thread has popped back up I'm tempted to give it a second runthrough.

I loved the ghostbusters movies and cartoons (the one related to this series; I always felt annoyed when I stumbled across the other, like I'd been misled somehow) so the nostalgia factor was strong, but I thought they did the atmosphere quite well overall. The gameplay was a bit frustrating at times, but I only got hung up two or three times and now that I know what the score is I don't think they'd slow me down much now.

The Cherub gate I had to redo a few times, the first Gargoyle encounter got me initially as well, and the architecture room with the flaming marshmellow dogs wrecked my shit once or twice, but beyond that it was good times.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    See, here's the problem with the cherubs.

The goal is to slime them to the gate, yeah? You also need to be watching for the cherubs, who will divebomb you and kill you in one or two hits. This means you need to be looking up to do it.

At the same time, you have these suicide bomb things running on the ground that will kill you in one or two hits. So you need to be looking down.

These two situations completely contradict each other and make for shitty gameplay. I have to look up to complete my objective and avoid death from the air, but that means I die from below. I look down to deal with the bombs, I die from above. Then, add in a useless AI partner, and a mechanic that has you stopping in place for a good 3 seconds to revive him, which means he doesn't help at all and you can never revive him to at least be a decoy.

If they had removed the ground bombs, then it would have been perfect. Instead, they put two diametrically opposed events into one area, and the gameplay took a shit because of it.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    GibbsGibbs Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I played through Ghostbusters and beat it on the hard difficulty without ever getting stuck on anything. (I also avoided all online talk of the game to avoid spoilers.)

I had no idea the gate thing was stopping people so badly. It's like the Water temple in Zelda: OoT, I had no problems with it whatsoever, even though everyone else did.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got a bad case of lovin' you.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That gate was easy. I had no idea everyone had problems with it.

The part i had problems with was the final boss.

Talkc on
  • Options
    Jolt ColaJolt Cola Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ^^Cool story bro? I mean awesome! I'll give this another shot once I finish Lords of Shadow probably.

Jolt Cola on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I played it no normal and yeah, I don't recall that gate giving me that much trouble. The final boss was just a timing thing. I loved it tho. I might replay it again sometime. There's a bunch of single player achievements I wasn't able to get the first time.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    GibbsGibbs Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I played it no normal and yeah, I don't recall that gate giving me that much trouble. The final boss was just a timing thing. I loved it tho. I might replay it again sometime. There's a bunch of single player achievements I wasn't able to get the first time.

Isn't there one achievement for causing less than a certain amount of property damage and then an achievement for causing more than like 3 million?

I tend to not check achievements until it's too late to do a few of them. I was far enough in the game that I was over the minimum for one achievement and no where close to the 3 million dollar one.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got a bad case of lovin' you.
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Isn't there one achievement for causing less than a certain amount of property damage and then an achievement for causing more than like 3 million?

I tend to not check achievements until it's too late to do a few of them. I was far enough in the game that I was over the minimum for one achievement and no where close to the 3 million dollar one.

I believe you can replay sections and the damage you do there ups you total for that playthrough. I finished the game the first time through well short of 3 million and just reloaded the street level, where I blew up buses for tons of damage and eventually got the Achievement.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Capturing ghosts in this game was so fun

Lesser enemies that you didn't capture were stupid and lame and had no place in a Ghostbusters game

It lost all its charm about halfway through and I never finished it and never looked back. A big disappointment overall.

I was surprised to see this thread revived

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gyral wrote: »

I believe you can replay sections and the damage you do there ups you total for that playthrough. I finished the game the first time through well short of 3 million and just reloaded the street level, where I blew up buses for tons of damage and eventually got the Achievement.

I tried to do this but then ended up not getting the achievement even though I should have. I think it's sort of glitchy if you do this.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't think the PC lacking multiplayer missed out on much. Last time I took the PS3 version of the game online there was like 3 people playing total. Too bad, the multiplayer seemed decent.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I never played multiplayer on the PS3 version, so discovering it was missing from the PC version was no real disappointment.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think this is the most recent Ghostbusters thread, so here goes:

A new Ghostbusters game is coming out. With four player co-op. Next week.

Unfortunately it's just an XBLA/PSN title and apparently you play as a team of rookies instead of the originals, but it's supposed to only cost $10. Today's the first I ever heard of it.

It's a top-down twin stick shooter (think the Hunter: the Reckoning games).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcTVBsQagrM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2DxBeJYK4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17gQYZjiR1E

Lars on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Threads 2 years old, it's better to make a new one.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Last post was only a couple of months ago and I figured this was better than creating a pitiful op for an arcade title that uses a bunch of assets from this game.

Lars on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Really need to break this sucker out and wrap up my hard/expert/whatever the hell it was difficulty playthrough to get that achievement. I think I was on the second-to-last stage/mission/bust?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop