As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RPG For the Break

NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
Hey guys,

I'm new around these parts and from what I've read this looks to be a pretty damn decent community. I've read penny arcade off and on for a few years, but finally checked out the topic on Mirror's Edge and decided to register.

Now I've got a very big decision to make and I haven't the first clue on how to go about it. Generally speaking I avoid RPGs and haven't played one ever since I bought a 360. With a nice holiday break approaching I'm debating between picking up Mass Effect or Fallout 3.

The last RPG I enjoyed was KOTOR, but I played the second one and found it be a glitchy substitute for the original. I've heard Mass Effect is both the greatest thing ever(!) and a glitchy pile of suck so I'm not sure whether it'd be my cup o tea or not.

Likewise, I'm not a fan of Bethesda and found Oblivion to be horribly trite. I like my RPGs with a strong central story and couldn't really care less about the myriad of side quests that most RPGs are known for.

Any advice/suggestions/mockery?

I looked through both the mass effect and fallout threads but couldn't make a decision. Any other RPGs worth a play through?

NaturalNarcissist on

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I personally had more fun with mass effect (fallouts lack of difficulty, even on very hard, for a combat based game really killed it for me) but I expect i'll be in the minority with that. Really I guess it depends on if you want an open world or story driven rpg. Sure you can technically go anywhere in Mass Effect, but it's really only fun when your following the story along. fallout 3 on the other hand is more fun when you say screw the main story and wander around killing things and finding side quests. But since you say you don't like oblivion, there's a pretty good chance you won't like Fallout 3 either, its basically a much improved oblivion.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fallout doesn't sound like what you're looking for. I think it's thoroughly enjoyable, but the main plot is admittedly short and weak and the meat of the game lies in sidequests and exploration. It doesn't sound like you'd dig that.

freakish light on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, if you didn't like Oblivion, you probably won't like Fallout 3.

Mass Effect is a pretty strong RPG though. It has its flaws but they're forgivable, and the story is strong (if you're into space operas).

zilo on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mass Effect is an RPG classic. It has a good storyline, incredible graphics, good voice work and awesome music and to any 80's sci-fi nerd it's a dream come true. If you like science fiction, especially KoTOR, ME is probably going to be a hit with you. I loved it to death all the way through.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mass Effect would be more to your tastes. I liked it better than FO3 as well.

The Witcher is also a good option, as is NWN2 : Mask of the Betrayer.

JohnDoe on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Click my sig. Click it.

Or if you want a traditional(ish) JRPG, Persona 4 is due out any day now.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    Click my sig. Click it.

Or if you want a traditional(ish) JRPG, Persona 4 is due out any day now.

Thought the OP specified 360.

freakish light on
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mass Effect is an RPG classic. It has a good storyline, incredible graphics, good voice work and awesome music and to any 80's sci-fi nerd it's a dream come true. If you like science fiction, especially KoTOR, ME is probably going to be a hit with you. I loved it to death all the way through.

Just don't touch all the planets outside of the main story. The side quests are worse than most, with horribly generic planets where you can only explore a single square segment of their surface. Also, you will learn to hate the Mako with a passion. I don't know who decided it would be a good idea to construct an APC out of papier-mâché.

Though I have to warn you, both games are fairly short if you're doing only the main quest line.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fallout 3 is pretty fucking great, but so is Mass Effect. Honestly, if I wasn't already such a giant Fallout fanboy, I'd have a hard time choosing between the two.

But Mass Effect is definitely, 1000x more story-driven and focused than Fallout 3. It's the closest thing to playing a movie you'll probably get on the 360, and it's fucking great. That's not to say they take you out of the gameplay a lot, though, so maybe I should scratch the movie comment, only I'm too lazy.

But yeah, judging from your post, I'm going to 100% recommend Mass Effect for you. Ignore the people who say it's buggy and shit. The only "big" problem it has is pop-in textures, and that's not even a huge deal really.

The dialogue is great - especially if you choose to be an asshole - and the story is pretty good too, if a bit derivative. I'll repeat what others have said and tell you that if you're into Sci-Fi, you'll like it. For me, Mass Effect felt a bit like Kotor 2.0, except a lot better and without all the Star Wars crap.

Also, you will learn to hate the Mako with a passion

I hear everyone saying this, so I'm not going to bother arguing the point... though I will toss in for the OP's sake that the Mako has never bothered me at all. Seriously, I honest to god don't understand all the griping. But again, I'm in the severe minority here.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Only that he hasn't played an RPG since he got his 360. It's perhaps likely that he's got a PS2, and possible (but less likely) he's got a PS3.

I myself don't have the Xbox, but If we're talkin' reviews of RPGs on the 360 (for '08), Fallout 3 is leading the pack with 90+, and Tales of Vesperia (which looks sweet) has a very-decent 82ish I think. It's a very pretty action/rpg.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Voro wrote: »

Just don't touch all the planets outside of the main story. The side quests are worse than most, with horribly generic planets where you can only explore a single square segment of their surface. Also, you will learn to hate the Mako with a passion. I don't know who decided it would be a good idea to construct an APC out of papier-mâché.

Though I have to warn you, both games are fairly short if you're doing only the main quest line.

There are a few sidequests that are pretty interesting though, especially a lot of the ones you first get at the Citadel.

TheSuperWoot on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I found that although some side quests are kind of interesting in Mass Effect, most land-on-this-planet based ones are pretty dull and actually detract from the flow of the main quest, which has an amazing pace and story arch.

I think you do the main story more justice by just focusing on that, its a really movie-like experience with an ending that ranks as my all time favourite in a video game. I think the game would've benefited from a removal of superfluous side quests in favor of enhancing the already great main campaign.

Based on your OP i recommend Mass Effect. Fallout 3 is a better game in my opinion, but im a sucker for "this is how detailed and open a game can be with the current technology." Its much better than Oblivion, and there arent really 'sidequests' so much as there are 5-10 hour missions that you can do. The main campaign is excellent, but not nearly fleshed out enough.

At least rent it or something, but yeah I think you'd enjoy Mass Effect more, its a fantastic game.

And also put me in the camp that didnt see what the big deal about the Mako was. I mean, yes, it wasnt the best handled vehicle in a video game, but for christ sake it wasnt like it raped children or something.

Prohass on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I liked the Mako. I put something like 30+ hours into Mass Effect, mostly running around random planets shootin' mans and making wicked awesome jumps.

zilo on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Voro wrote: »

I think the little planets provided a distraction from the main storyline. I found a few cool planets with self-contained stories that I enjoyed. The new expansions add some content, as well. But all-in-all, regardless of what optional content you explore, the main storyline is rewarding.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Do you have a DS?

jothki on
  • DragonflameDragonflame Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    mass effect sounds like what you are going for. Like what most people said the side quests aren't anything to write home about but the main quest is fantastic. However I would also check out Fallout some time. I also hated Oblivion but I'm really enjoying fallout right now.

Dragonflame on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Judging from your KOTOR background and Oblivion avoidance, Mass Effect is probably the best choice for you. Just a warning, the game is incredibly talky, to the tune that you may fall asleep during the first real area, The Citadel. Much like KOTOR and the incredibly mundane opening city in that, if you can last long enough to leave, the game becomes much better.

Also, Mass Effect is a far better all-round RPG. There's some difference in your play type, especially if you go biotic (think force powers). Fallout 3, which is currently consuming my life, breaks down one of the following: Run and Gun, Sneak and Snipe, or MELEE SMASH! You're not going to be chucking people or things across the room with your mind.

As an Aside: Hey guys! I have a 360 and want RPG suggestions! Result: Some illiterates are suggesting PS3, PC and DS games. It's like they're just replying to see themselves in the thread.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    As an Aside: Hey guys! I have a 360 and want RPG suggestions! Result: Some illiterates are suggesting PS3, PC and DS games. It's like they're just replying to see themselves in the thread.

Hear hear!

err...

Lly on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I haven't played it myself, but I've heard some good things about fable 2

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tales of Vesperia?
    Eternal Sonata?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I love Fallout 3. Mass Effect is ok I guess, it just doesn't hold my attention for some reason. I think it's a problem I have with Bioware games in general, great ideas, but clunky implementation. That's probably true of Fallout as well though, gah I've confused myself.

Diarmuid on
  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I hated Oblivion but love Fallout. It's the same engine, but the world is interesting and doesn't have the same flat feeling that Oblivion did.

That said, if I had to pick one, Mass Effect is a must play. Stick to the main story planets and it's awesome. Great story, solid mechanics, interesting side characters, and by far the best dialogue system of any game I've played.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fallout 3 is much better than Oblivion, but...

Mass Effect is still my favorite game on the system, and I think you'd really enjoy it as well.

Go with Mass Effect first (which you can pick up at half.com for like $15 or something) and then check out Fallout 3 the next break you get.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I've got mass effect on my gamefly queue next to Prince of Persia.

I'll also probably give Fallout a try later, but all this talk of RPGs reminded me that i picked up a copy of Jade Empire a few months ago and have yet to even play it. Looks like I've got a nice break coming up.

NaturalNarcissist on