As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Do you want to be spoiled?

FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Graphic Violence
This is really just more of a curiosity thing for me, and I thought it should go in a new thread since I didn't know where else I could put it.

In pretty much every comic book writer interview ever, they always say "You know the fans say they want to be spoiled, but they don't!" Do you read spoilers, or do you try and avoid them at all costs? Would you really want to know what's going to happen, or do you enjoy being surprised?

I'd say myself, I love the surprise and the oh my gosh moments, but if they asked me if I wanted to know what happens next right at the end of the issue, I'd probably not be able to resist.

do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
Faynor on

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't want to be spoiled and I hate that every comic Q&A panel is fans asking creators what's going to happen in current/future stories

"oh sure let's just tell you right now, I'm sure you'll still buy it"

Garlic Bread on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have no self-control. Thank god this problem most commonly manifests in the form of clicking spoilers as opposed to, I don't know, gambling or alcoholism.

Robos A Go Go on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I much prefer going in blind, but thats kind of hard these days what with the internet and such. In the old days I never even new how many issues a particular arc was going to be, let alone had any clue what might happen in a story.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have no self-control. Thank god this problem most commonly manifests in the form of clicking spoilers as opposed to, I don't know, gambling or alcoholism.

I know the feeling. A heavy case of WoW Addiction makes me glad I never got hooked into hard drugs. I'd be dead within hours.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i don't like being spoiled, but it happens to me all the time, and there's usually nothing i can do about it because it just pops up in conversation.

the things people have blurt out, seriously, you don't wanna know.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2008
    It was worse when 52 was coming out and people would put spoilers in tags in the 52 thread. Which would be fine except I have to read those

DJ Eebs on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    It was worse when 52 was coming out and people would put spoilers in tags in the 52 thread. Which would be fine except I have to read those

yeah, i was going to say kind of the same thing. i don't think i'd read spoilers by choice normally, but since i mod this place i feel kind of obligated to be at least a little familar with what's happening in books i don't read or am planning on picking up in trade down the line. if it's something i pick up in singles or as it comes out, though, i'll avoid spoilers as much as possible since i'll be reading it pretty soon after it's available anyway.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Almost noone reads the books I do, and the books I read come out pretty irregularly, so I don't have this problem very often. I don't usually read the big events either.

If I ever run into a spoiler that actually has something to do with what I am reading, I have a hell of time resisting though.

DouglasDanger on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't really care one way or the other. For me, there's a big difference between reading, "Okay so in this issue Ralph Dibny comes back to life, Beppo the Supermonkey rapes Comet the Superhorse, and Aquaman hoists Atlantis on his back and pushes it to the ocean's surface," and actually reading those events in the context of the larger story, with the art, dialogue, and plot all meshing together.

Munch on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    How else will we complain about books we haven't read?

deadonthestreet on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I mostly just buy trades so I'll read some spoilers and what not of big events as I wait for the books to be released. And if the writing is truely good the great spoilers will still seem bad ass even if I'm aware of what happens by the end of the arc.

Psychotic One on
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't particularly like spoilers, and on balance I'd have to say they make me significantly more likely to not buy a product than they would make me get it.

eg. when you're halfway through Secret Invasion or other big event (or the friggin Matrix trilogy), you see enough that you start thinking of your own cool endings - then you're just set up for disappointment when it turns out to be another metaphor for Jesus (frigging Matrix trilogy)

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't mind spoilers because, for the most part, knowing the outcome doesn't ruin my enjoyment of a book. I generally don't read spoilers for books that I buy unless there is a lot of buzz about what's happened and I haven't gotten my books yet.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm not really concerned about spoilers for books in a continuous series, however I avoid spoilers to stand alone stories when I can.

Like I wouldn't want to know what happened in Watchmen before I read, but I could care less whether I know what's happening in the latest issue of MegaBoner monthly or whatever.

The only exceptions for me are books that I buy each trade as it comes out, like I doubt like spoiling Ultimate Spider-Man or Invincible. It can be hard considering I don't read the books for months after they come out. (Fuck you, Ultimatum preview...)
    The temptation on reading the Ultimatum preview was like walking over to check out a car wreck and finding the corpse of my hypothetical significant other that was clearly partaking in adulterous activity at the time of the wreck.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited December 2008
    I hate being spoiled but I can't resist spoilers.

Dareth Ram on
    edited December 2008

... we just found a new way to harrass mods.

Now, to see if I can find a way to justify spoilering Citizen Kane and The Crying Game in a thread....

please don't hurt me

Forar on
    edited December 2008
    yes, because those are exactly the two movies i've been waiting on tenterhooks to finally see.

i've managed to avoid details on citizen kane for twenty-five years now, the time must at last be right for me to see it...unspoiled

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Seriously though, the MOTW threads must be a real mixed bag for you guys.

Forar on
  • Dr. JeebusDr. Jeebus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I hate being spoiled, but I work in a comic book store so there's no avoiding it.

Dr. Jeebus on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2008
    Forar wrote: »

well, it doesn't bother me now because I've got a ways to go before I can buy comics again

and most of the time I'd just avoid logging on until I'd gotten through my stack, or rely on the report function

DJ Eebs on
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I seek out spoilers because i only buy comics in TPB format, and usually only after i've been told what's happened. I don't enjoy it any less.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
    edited December 2008
    Forar wrote: »

well, it doesn't bother me now because I've got a ways to go before I can buy comics again

and most of the time I'd just avoid logging on until I'd gotten through my stack, or rely on the report function

and i just don't give a shit, so i read 'em all

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • watchman_1985watchman_1985 Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    I only tend to read spoilers for comics I have no intention of reading but am curious as to what's happening in the book for other reasons. For example, I have no interest whatsoever in Final Crisis, but I've been keeping up with what's happening in it cos I know it could affect other books I do read such as GL

watchman_1985 on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    I don't really care one way or the other. For me, there's a big difference between reading, "Okay so in this issue Ralph Dibny comes back to life, Beppo the Supermonkey rapes Comet the Superhorse, and Aquaman hoists Atlantis on his back and pushes it to the ocean's surface," and actually reading those events in the context of the larger story, with the art, dialogue, and plot all meshing together.

Yeah, I usually agree, but it's burned me a few times before though, like when I read spoilers regarding Lone Wolf and Cub when I was 3 or 4 volumes away from the end; finding out what happened to the main characters in the final conflict was a pain before reading it.

ManonvonSuperock on