As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Roguelikes for pussies?

DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
Hi, Penny-Arcade. I know a lot of you are into Roguelikes. I do like the random-dungeon concept and the get better 'till you die gameplay, but I just can't bear ASCII screens with no GUI or the ultra-hard permadeath system of most of Roguelikes.
A while ago, in another Roguelike thread, someone mentionned Lost Labyrith, which I really liked a lot. Somewhat graphical, a clear enough interface, and the possibility to save. Plus, it had a lot of customization and it was pretty fun.
I'm wondering, are there more games in this vein? Are there more Roguelikes that aren't pure hardcore Roguelikes but more like a randomly-generated RPG with no real end?

Djiem on

• Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You're looking for Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. There's a thread on it around here somewhere that deserves resurrecting, too.

zilo on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Elona. Let me find the thread.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
  • Options
    SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    http://homepage3.nifty.com/rfish/index_e.html

Seconding playing Elona. The game has no permadeath, so it should be just right for you.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be checking those games out.

Djiem on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Stone Soup is a fantastic entry to Roguelikes. I've tried Elona, but the gameplay seemed really unintuitive even for a Roguelike. Maybe I should give it another shot. There's also Shiren the Wanderer for the DS. I've heard good things about it and plan to buy it soon.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You can also "pussyify" (to use the terms of the thread title =) ) most games by creating a script or program that'll backup the save games between saves. That way you can revert to last save if you die.

I have a quick one I whipped up in like 3 minutes for ADOM when I started playing it. I can dig it up if you want it and don't have access to a compiler to make your own. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    To add to this: how about all of the above but on the DS?

takyris on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Nice, Stone Soup doesn't seem to have a water/food meter. That's the only thing that pissed me off in Lost Labyrinth.

EDIT: Oops, loaf of bread. Is there a hunger and thirst death in Stone Soup or is it a curative item?

Djiem on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    takyris wrote: »

The only DS RL I know of is Shiren The Wanderer, and it's anything but easy.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Izuna 1 or 2. They're lighter themed, and you only lose your equipment. Experience carries over when you die.

Both are also $20 or less now.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    NetHack could work (hear me out) if you get a version with the tileset graphics and turn on explore mode (no death). It doesn't sound ideal for what you're looking for (it may not be ASCII but there's still no clear GUI, not at all easier than without explore mode), but those tweaks might push it into the realm of the playable for you.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    Nice, Stone Soup doesn't seem to have a water/food meter. That's the only thing that pissed me off in Lost Labyrinth.

EDIT: Oops, loaf of bread. Is there a hunger and thirst death in Stone Soup or is it a curative item?

There's hunger, but its pretty fair about it IMO. I've had a lot of characters and I don't think I've lost a single one to hunger. I've been close though. There's items you can find that let you eat raw meat. Corpses = Infinite food. There's also a few classes that don't have hunger I think. There's at least one.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Shiren the Wanderer gets tough, but it's not as crazy difficult/unfair as a lot of roguelikes. It's also completely fucking awesome, especially if you love SNES graphics. Aaand, if you do fuck up, you can get a few online rescues before you have to completely start over.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=52525

It's apparently $15 new now, so there's really no excuse for any gamer with a DS to not have it.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ah, I didn't see that you didn't like hunger mechanics before... nevermind my ADOM suggestion... He's merciless with it. Probably 3/4 of the characters I've ever made for it ended up dying of hunger. Fun game once you find yourself a good source of food, but at the start it's almost like a race against time to get to a certain location (that you have to find out on your own =) ) that sells massive quantities of lightweight sources of food.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    TVs_Frank wrote: »

There's hunger, but its pretty fair about it IMO. I've had a lot of characters and I don't think I've lost a single one to hunger. I've been close though. There's items you can find that let you eat raw meat. Corpses = Infinite food. There's also a few classes that don't have hunger I think. There's at least one.

Ghoul. Ghouls are awesome. They prefer rotted corpse meat.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Yeah, I've tried a game of Stone Soup, and the hunger's not too bad, they're not being cocks about it.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Frozen Depths is a Rogue-lite that features a heat meter. In order to stay warm you have to find warm clothes and make fires. It's not hard to find things to stay warm but breaks up the repetition in dungeon crawling.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

The DS port of nethack is ok too.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2008
    I don't think I ever starved in ADOM. You can eat most corpses as most races, and sometimes you even get bonuses from it!

Other times you get sick and die. Que sera, sera.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Yeah, I've tried a game of Stone Soup, and the hunger's not too bad, they're not being cocks about it.

They find plenty of other things to be cocks about, I warn you. For extra fun, start a character who worships the Chaos God (X-something, it's been awhile). :)

zilo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    A duck! wrote: »
    I don't think I ever starved in ADOM. You can eat most corpses as most races, and sometimes you even get bonuses from it!

Other times you get sick and die. Que sera, sera.

lol =) Oh yeah, there was that too =);)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2008
    Most of the time it's a bad idea to eat Kobolds, but sometimes those Shamans give you magic powers. If you survive. Which you probably won't. The two best to eat were blink dogs for the random teleportation and giants, because those suckers gave stat bonuses like crazy.

A duck! on
  • Options
    tgbobtgbob Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Castle of the Winds is roguelike lite with random dungeons, graphical interface with tiles, no food, save/load on death and a it even lacks a few things that'll kill you outright if you're not properly geared. Clicky!

tgbob on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Apparantly the Pokemon and Chocobo mystery dungeon games are fairly easy, though I've yet to try them.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    zilo wrote: »

Ghoul. Ghouls are awesome. They prefer rotted corpse meat.

I think Mummies don't need to eat - at the cost of not being able to drink potions.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    True... but even then, you needed enough... what was it? It was either Survival or Food Preservation, I can't remember... one of those attributes made corpses drop more than rarely.

So many times I remember wandering in a dungeon, hoping someone would drop something until I finally starved. =)

But it is a GREAT game once you find a way to manage hunger. I can't diss ADoM too much, I love it to death. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's ASCII, but DoomRL is pretty simple to play, and individual games usually don't last very long.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Running an Angband Borg is my favorite thing to do because it's pretty much like getting all the same results of a roguelike with zero effort!

Looks like he's been putting a lot of work into it lately too.

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Powder is pretty simple, still fairly hard and pretty fun.

solsovly on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    solsovly wrote: »
    Powder is pretty simple, still fairly hard and pretty fun.

Seconded -- Crawl Stone Soup usurped its place in my heart, but it is damn good and a damn good introduction to roguelikes, too. Plus, it's got a great interface and has a port for DS homebrew.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well, that's a lot of great suggestions, now, let's shift the thread a little; Do you guys know any good CCGs (or just CGs maybe) that are kind of like Roguelikes, for one person? I have a game called Dungeoneer, which is 2-4 players, where the players go around in a randomly generated dungeon built with cards, they fight monsters, level up, etc. I want a game in that vein, but where you'd play by yourself. Does that even exist? If not, it should be made. That sounds better to me than Solitaire.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well, that's a lot of great suggestions, now, let's shift the thread a little; Do you guys know any good CCGs (or just CGs maybe) that are kind of like Roguelikes, for one person? I have a game called Dungeoneer, which is 2-4 players, where the players go around in a randomly generated dungeon built with cards, they fight monsters, level up, etc. I want a game in that vein, but where you'd play by yourself. Does that even exist? If not, it should be made. That sounds better to me than Solitaire.

Well if it doesn't exist you should write something up and sell it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Well if it doesn't exist you should write something up and sell it.

I was thinking of making one if I can't find one.

Djiem on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Zombies In My Pocket is pretty good for a free download-and-print-yourself game, and it looks like that link has a whole bunch of free variations as well.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    DWARF FORTRESS

wavecutter on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    wavecutter wrote: »
    DWARF FORTRESS

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Dwarf Fortress the complete opposite of what I'm looking for?

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    That depends. Are you open to the idea of a game that will cut you while you're sleeping?

zilo on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    DF is the only Roguelike I could get my mind around. Until I stopped using the guide, at least.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A duck! wrote: »
    Most of the time it's a bad idea to eat Kobolds, but sometimes those Shamans give you magic powers. If you survive. Which you probably won't. The two best to eat were blink dogs for the random teleportation and giants, because those suckers gave stat bonuses like crazy.

Eating blink dogs gives you teleportitis, which sucks ass unless you have the teleport control trait

Then it makes a complete 180 and becomes one of the most useful abilities in the game

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut