As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trine [PSN/PC]

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'll give it a go both ways, I need a good excuse to pick up a second 360 controller.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I'll give it a go both ways, I need a good excuse to pick up a second 360 controller.

:winky:

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I tried with the Xbox 360 controller, but even though the color coding of the menus are designed for an Xbox 360 controller, it just doesn't work once you get to aiming, the moving and whatnot are great, but you have to use the Right-Stick for aiming or secondary attack and it's just really slow. I didn't adjust it, but after that I went back to Mouse & Keyboard where it felt more natural and I got a lot better.

This game is just truly stunning.

Hawk on
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Works pretty well with a PS3 controller as well, and it took about two minutes to configure to work with Vista.

W2 on
  • Options
    ElosElos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Holy fuck the last level is hard.

Elos on
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Elos wrote: »
    It's pretty much the definition of unfun. I honestly don't even want to bother with it.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Elos wrote: »
    It's pretty much the definition of unfun. I honestly don't even want to bother with it.

Took me about five or six tries, it was probably easier than the last level of Braid.

W2 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm taking my time with this game.

I love the ability to replay levels, I also LIKE how Checkpoints aren't permanent Save Points.

Hawk on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How well does it control on the 360? Is it easy to levitate stuff and draw boxes fo the wizard?

tofu on
  • Options
    F-Zero_RacerF-Zero_Racer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, where is my Trine PS3?

I really want to play it on my TV.

F-Zero_Racer on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    How well does it control on the 360? Is it easy to levitate stuff and draw boxes fo the wizard?

It's not on the 360. It does however control pretty good with a 360 controller. Drawing shapes is a little wonky and you don't seem to have quite as much control over your grappling hook jumps, but overall it works fine.

Drool on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    Game is one of the best this year. Only two issues:

1. Most of the challenge is in finding the hidden chests and exp, but I guess the game would eventually get much harder if I skipped it all.

2. Enemy spawns are annoying. Stop spawning one skeleton every minute and let me do this platforming already!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm ok with the enemies, they seem pretty well spaced to break up the pace a bit. Also shooting them with a flaming arrow with damage boost item is fun times.

Drool on
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just finished my first playthrough on hard in six and a half hours.

On the whole a solid game. It's got solid gameplay quite varied with the three characters and never got repetitive for me; new abilities (if you can find them) and experience keep the game feeling fresh. The atmosphere of the game is quite good; graphics, music, sound effects are all very good.

Last level is mixed bag. It seems to let go of some of the pacing of the previous levels as you are constantly in a rush, and it is a bit jarring as you shift away from taking your time to solve puzzles how you want and at your own pace. Once you finish the level though it's a pretty satisfying feeling.

For me I think its got some decent replay value. Each level gets listed with the amount of experience and secrets you missed. Not sure what difficulty settings do yet though. Multiplayer is a bit of a mixed bag as it is nice it's there, but it's only local; still solidly fun as it opens up more creative ways to get through levels.

Two minor peeves is pretty much all I have for the game:
    1) While you can save custom control options in a control config, every time you start the game, it'll set you back to the default control option. Is it too much to ask for the game to remember your last config option and keep it there?
    2) Customizing your controls has no effect on the in-game button prompts. They always display whatever the default control configuration is.

I don't regret purchasing the game, but $30 is a bit pricey since the game is fairly short. Unless you've got to have it, I would recommend waiting for a price drop. After finishing, I was left wanting more which is a good thing I think.

Cobell on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I bought it at €30 'cause I just wanted to play it. Little good all my bitching did.

The little water-filled crevices in the background of the second stage are some of the prettiest fucking things I've ever seen in a game.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's really fun to go back to levels you beat with new abilities and items. I missed a bunch of stuff so I need to go back and go over a few levels.

Also what level do you find the wizards third ability? I'm on level 12 and still haven't found it. Did I miss it somewhere? Those are usually pretty obvious.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Drool wrote: »
    It's really fun to go back to levels you beat with new abilities and items. I missed a bunch of stuff so I need to go back and go over a few levels.

Also what level do you find the wizards third ability? I'm on level 12 and still haven't found it. Did I miss it somewhere? Those are usually pretty obvious.

Yeah I can't wait to do that once I beat the game.

Hawk on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    The Wizard's third ability is making hovering pyramids. They're very hard to stand on for long, but they are the only object he can move while standing on it. You can also upgrade it so the Thief can grapple it which is so useful.

It's pretty incredible how much they screwed the pooch on the last level. Lots of precision, timed platforming that is harder on a PC, no checkpoints and you instantly die on the lava. And you're pretty much fucked if you lose a character. This wouldn't be so bad if shit wasn't randomly conjured in your path. It's like one of the torture platformers that plays off your expectations. So it falls to trial-and-error gameplay, which is pretty much the lamest of challenges.

It's also a very sudden change of gameplay. The levels almost blend into each other since gameplay slowly evolves rather than feature a lot of gimmicks. It's that typical desire to have a different last level to punctuate the game, and ends up being hastily done.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Flareslove wrote: »
    i wouldnt play this without a mouse though. you would be missing out on so much acrobatic awesomeness.

i just dont see being able to hot-switch to thief and jump off falling items conjured by the wizard possible with a pad.

Does anyone know if the PS3 version will support a mouse? UT III is the only other PS3 title I've ever heard of that does this, but Trine sounds like a fine candidate for it (also justifying its absence on the 360).

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    FlaresloveFlareslove Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    oh man, just got the upgrades for knights third weapon. soooo badass.

Flareslove on
    MKDS: 335.066 948.141
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    The Wizard's third ability is making hovering pyramids. They're very hard to stand on for long, but they are the only object he can move while standing on it. You can also upgrade it so the Thief can grapple it which is so useful.

It's pretty incredible how much they screwed the pooch on the last level. Lots of precision, timed platforming that is harder on a PC, no checkpoints and you instantly die on the lava. And you're pretty much fucked if you lose a character. This wouldn't be so bad if shit wasn't randomly conjured in your path. It's like one of the torture platformers that plays off your expectations. So it falls to trial-and-error gameplay, which is pretty much the lamest of challenges.

It's also a very sudden change of gameplay. The levels almost blend into each other since gameplay slowly evolves rather than feature a lot of gimmicks. It's that typical desire to have a different last level to punctuate the game, and ends up being hastily done.
    The pyramids are infinitely useful, though they eat up quite a bit of mana.
    They are not, however, the only item the wizard can move while standing on. Conjure a plank and place a box on top of it. Stand on box, and levitate the plank. You can easily lose balance, and it takes a ton of adjusting mid-air, so it might take a few tries to get it right, but it can be done. I've also tried double plank, but the upper plank just seems to slide right off.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah but when do you get it? I'm on level 12 and I still haven't got it, but I missed a few secrets in previous levels. I'm guessing I missed it?

Drool on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Any of the skill upgrades usually have chests next to a checkpoint or directly in the line of where you have to go.

This is because those upgrades are deemed essential to getting through some of the puzzles, save for the Thief's quiver and the Knight's pick-up/charge.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Yeah after many unsuccessful attempts I had to quit out of the game. I couldn't take it.

Thief is my #1 character, then once she dies. I moved onto the Wizard to move stuff out of the way. Then used the Knight last, as he can break stuff, he has nothing that can help with platforming.

I'll eventually get it, but yeah it's a radical shift in gameplay for that level. I wish I knew where I was in relation to beating that section...

EDIT: Just beat the game, Thief is the best way to go. I got past a certain point I was stuck at. Then I lost the Wizard and got to the final checkpoint with the Knight, then from there finally got it.

Hawk on
  • Options
    MaskirovkaMaskirovka Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pro tip for last level:
    The thief's fire arrows break conjured objects. One of those things you never think to try until you see it happen by accident. Makes the last level a LOT easier.

Even doing that, the last level is indeed a huge shift in gameplay. Think battletoads jetbike level shift...

Personally, I think they should've had a bunch of bosses. The mini boss type things were pretty lame and could usually be cheesed in some way. I can think of tons of ideas for bosses that would require using all 3 characters too.

All that said, I still really like this game and would recommend it to anyone.

Maskirovka on
  • Options
    KlaymenKlaymen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I love this game. I've finished it so now I'm going back to get all the XP/secrets I missed.

Playing back through the levels, you notice so many clever things they have added to the levels - every situation/scenario seems to have an elegant solution:
    Conviently placed spikes for impaling boxes or platforms to create platforms or to block fireball shooters
    Wooden poles in the perfect places for speeding through sections as thief
    Conveniently placed spiders which you can shoot from a distance, causing them to fall on buttons, allowing you to bypass detous - actually I'm not 100% sure this one isn't a coincidence

I'd love it if there was achievements for finishing the whole game as Wizard or Thief only. Knight isn't mobile enough to do this, but thief may have a shot

Klaymen on
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Klaymen wrote: »
    I love this game. I've finished it so now I'm going back to get all the XP/secrets I missed.

Playing back through the levels, you notice so many clever things they have added to the levels - every situation/scenario seems to have an elegant solution:
    Conviently placed spikes for impaling boxes or platforms to create platforms or to block fireball shooters
    Wooden poles in the perfect places for speeding through sections as thief
    Conveniently placed spiders which you can shoot from a distance, causing them to fall on buttons, allowing you to bypass detous - actually I'm not 100% sure this one isn't a coincidence

I'd love it if there was achievements for finishing the whole game as Wizard or Thief only. Knight isn't mobile enough to do this, but thief may have a shot
    I've already went through several levels playing purely thief. I'm not sure you can do a full run, as you'll probably need the wizard in a section or two. I could be wrong, though. I hope I am.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Once you get the wizard's pyramid upgrade basically every platforming situation can be solved by making one and swinging over whatever is in the way.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah I'm going back level to level getting all experience. Then I'll play with the difficulty on "Very Hard' and see how hard that actually is.

Most challenging achievement (I think):
    Better Than the Developers!
    Complete Tower of Sarek without any deaths on Very Hard difficulty

Hawk on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I actually didn't think the last level was as bullshit as alot of your guys seem to think of it. Different sure, but not terribly difficult for the last level in the game. Although maybe I didn't find it so bad because I was expecting it from reading this thread.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    jahsoldierjahsoldier Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just finished it; I agreed about the last level to begin with, but it's mercifully short and once you reach the checkpoint it's a piece of piss to finish. Great game, but could have done with some trickier puzzles - as someone noted, once you get the wizard's pyramids a lot of the 'puzzles' are obsolete

jahsoldier on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I hate bats as much as this game loves bats.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    RAAAAAAAARRRRRRR!!!!

What the fuck were they thinking?!

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Neva wrote: »
    I hate these bats so much.

Also what the fuck, the game suddenly turned into toxic tower from DKC2 D:

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Bats weren't that bothersome jump swipe with the Knight or arrows with the Thief did okay. I never died from bats at least.

I liked the last level, I wish there were some more forced use all 3 characters type gameplay in a "rush" scenario.

Hawk on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I think a long final level with a few taxing puzzles putting all my tools and knowledge to use ending in an interesting boss fight would have been a better way to end it, but whatever. It was a great game overall and at least the final level was short.

Drool on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Damn, I never knew about all of these hidden treasure chests in all of the levels till I started collecting all of the experience. Even opens up some dialog between characters once and awhile, it seems.

Also the steam achievement for getting all exp in the dragon graveyards seems to be borked. I was wandering it for like a half hour, just trying to find whatever exp I was missing, waiting for that achievement to pop up. But low and behold, on the stats page I had everything, just didn't get the achievement.

Not a huge deal, just annoying.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Neva wrote: »
    I hate these bats so much.

Also what the fuck, the game suddenly turned into toxic tower from DKC2 D:

i've beaten that game thousands of times. i can do screech's sprint without dying. i can do animal antics without getting touched.

let me just say this:

fuck toxic tower

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's a pain people, but wouldn't we all be complaining if it was too easy?

Hawk on
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hawk wrote: »
    It's a pain people, but wouldn't we all be complaining if it was too easy?

I don't think the general complaint is that it's too hard (hell, I thought the previous Mine level was harder than the last but I still liked it more). I think the complaint is that it goes against the style of the rest of the game. The tower climb sequence (and, in my opinion, the previous couple levels got more and more guilty of this) became less about methodical and clever use of the abilities and more about timing and speed. It was a huge change from the type of platforming you were doing in the early levels and I for one didn't like it.

The game was still fantastic and I'd recommend it to anyone. But if I replay it, I'll probably stop about 3/4 through.

Vi Monks on