As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trine [PSN/PC]

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Okay, one thing I hate more than bats? The invisible fucking spiders in the forsaken dungeon. Anyone else have this problem? Some spiders are literally just INVISIBLE. Also immortal or something, as my arrows do nothing.

I see the little squirt it does, I get hurt, yet shooting/swinging in that direction does nothing.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    MaskirovkaMaskirovka Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I never saw any invisible spiders. (AN INTERESTING STATEMENT) Er...I never encountered any.

I liked the last level, but I would've preferred having seen smaller versions of it earlier on. As is, the experience was really jarring and seemed strange. I can see why people would hate it, but I really liked the variety and difficulty change.

I hope they come up with some DLC or an SDK or something.

Maskirovka on
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Okay, one thing I hate more than bats? The invisible fucking spiders in the forsaken dungeon. Anyone else have this problem? Some spiders are literally just INVISIBLE. Also immortal or something, as my arrows do nothing.

I see the little squirt it does, I get hurt, yet shooting/swinging in that direction does nothing.
    They're not invisible. It's a bug where they're placed wrong on spawn.
    They're in the walls.

Holy shit man, first horror game to come out featuring spiders inside the goddamn walls will give me a fatal heart attack.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    After hearing them talk about it on the Giant Bombcast today, I am super-excited to get this.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Picked up PC version but, shockingly, may resort to playing it on a pad. I'm such a "casual" console gamer now (for want of a better phrase) and using the keyboard and mouse feels awkward and alien to me. It's having a separate UP and JUMP button that flumoxes me and my hands don't feel comfy on the keys.

That said I've run through the first ten minutes and I'm loving it. My poor PC could only manage it on medium detail but it still looks gorgeous.

Fantastic game. I'm tempted to pick it up on the PS3 too, because I'm a consumer whore and insist on owning all good PSN games.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Fantastic game. I'm tempted to pick it up on the PS3 too, because I'm a consumer whore and insist on owning all good PSN games.

Do it

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Is it out today in Europe? If so it's being bought as soon as I get in tonight.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    KlaymenKlaymen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    AkimboEG wrote: »

They're not invisible. It's a bug where they're placed wrong on spawn.
    They're in the walls.

Holy shit man, first horror game to come out featuring spiders inside the goddamn walls will give me a fatal heart attack.

Yeah I got spiders embedded in the walls once too, it was fucking annoying until the thing climbed into one of the fireball launchers and got toasted. VICTORY.

On the last level: the first time I played it I thought it was amazing, the boss drawing boxes etc. came off as really clever - however I think it is let down by a lot of the deaths feeling undeserved. I think they should have put more wooden planks in the level so the thief can really ninja around any threats instead of just having to memorise where certain stuff will appear.

Klaymen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh, it's not out yet on PSN. I'll stick to pc for now then.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The last level was just a terrible choice all around. At least it was short, but I would have much prefered a longer tower climb that I could do at my own pace. My guess is they got crunched for time and felt the end needed to be harder so naturally -- LAVA LEVEL.

Maybe they will release a better final level or a director's cut or something if it sells enough.

Drool on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just hope for more levels with DLC or something. I would like more "Challenge Rooms" per se.

Hawk on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The demo was really great. How long is the full game? Worth 30 bucks?

Food on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Out on PSN yet? :(

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This was advertised as being out today. It is not. :(

Samphis on
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bought it, played it, beat it. I'm really happy I did, and if anyone was looking for something a little diablo-esque with compact talent trees and Lost Vikings richness, this is your game.

I'm really surprised there's not much heat on this game. It's great. Leveling, item gaining, compact talent trees, and very beautiful environments. Sound and physics are very practical, even if there are levels where it could take five attempts at the same jump.

The beauty is that this game is really user-friendly, and if you do get all your characters killed it's not a game over screen, you just reload to the last checkpoint. Or if you wanted, you can manually go back to the last checkpoint so you can have all your characters back.

You won't see many different enemies, and it's a scarce selection of skeletons, cavern dwellers and annoying and small bats/birds. Yes, this game has annoying pests that'll peck away your health.

I don't see myself replaying it in the future, but it was definitely worth the money. The story is sincere and it feels like a folklore fairy tale, I just wish it had brighter environments.

Any questions feel free to ask, it's been a refreshing experience to beat a game like this, even if it was around 5-6 hours. It has shown a lot of potential and should be under your radar, PC Gamers. Oh, and PS whatevs.

McAllen on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Still waiting on the PSN version, as I am cheap and will play the demo to tide myself over and save $10.

Plus I just read that it has trophies as well.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hmmm. I was thinking of buying this soon. I saw a video on it and it just looked badass.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's a crying shame that it has been a week since anybody discussed this game.

I just got to the
    Dragon Graveyard

and I'm having the time of my life.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Any word if the PSN version is coming out this week? (please say yes)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Supposedly the 30th.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's a crying shame that it has been a week since anybody discussed this game.
    This is one of those games where I just don't think there's all that much to discuss. About all I can contribute is to say "it's great!" and then go back to quietly enjoying it by myself.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Supposedly the 30th.

Where did you get this?

All I've heard was "by the end of July". So that could mean this week...

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    This game is totally worth it. I started going back and picking up remaining secrets and experience, gonna probably continue that soon.

Hawk on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Supposedly the 30th.

Where did you get this?

All I've heard was "by the end of July". So that could mean this week...

Well hell, he's got a 50/50 shot at being right.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    They really, really need to release a level editor for this.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Please please please.

If you could, please contact Atlus and Frozenbyte in support of Trine on the Xbox 360. From what I've gathered, the Xbox 360 version is pending, but without any confirmation. So if we could get some people to voice support, I hope that would help get the game published.

joel@frozenbyte.com
    info@frozenbyte.com

http://www.atlus.com/contactus.php

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I seriously doubt a letter writing campaign will do any good. If they're having trouble working out the kinks of getting on the 360 than that's just how it is. It's obvious they want to have it there. I don't think they hate money.

But business isn't always as simple as that. The dude said "Trine as a project is a mess," so I'm sure they're trying to work it out and it will probably get put out eventually. Really you should just get it for the PC if you want to support Frozenbyte. It's an excellent game and controls beautifully with mouse and keyboard.

Drool on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    PC was stolen, else I would have.

Can you tell me where you got that Quote?

Sheep on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Or you can just plug your 360 controller into your PC and get the same 360 experience ;-)

Though I'll agree that having the game on a console is much more conducive to local co-op. Which is why I'm waiting for Trine on the PS3.

Edit: Ooooh, stolen PC....bad times :(

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    PC was stolen, else I would have.

Can you tell me where you got that Quote?

Here

"Trine as a project is a big mess," Kinnunen said, "as opposed to Trine as a game, which is pretty sweet. Ultimately it's the game part that really matters and helps us sleep at night, though."

Drool on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Agreed!

Hawk on
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So there's an even easier way to create your own hoverboard.
    Create a horizontal plank on even ground; stand on it; switch to either thief or knight; jump, switch back to wizard and right click (levitate) the plank midair. Kinda cheap, but fun as hell.

Also, I'm missing one single experience potion, in Fangle Forest, and I'll be damned if I can find it. I've gone through the level about seven times by now, scrutinizing it in the last few.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hawk wrote: »

Agreed!

It would be an a very complex and time consuming thing to put together. As it is they're currently struggling just to get the 360 port out. I wouldn't hold out hope for something like that.

subedii on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I feel so torn. This was a really fun demo, but it felt like the spiritual successor to Lost Vikings in a way that really made me want to go find a copy of Lost Vikings instead of play this!

For those of you that have picked it up so far, would you say it's something that strikes you as having replay value and multiple ways to go through platforms and puzzles? I wasn't quite sure from the demo, and if it's more of a "play once, then play again in a year or two when you remember it was fun and want to do it again" rather than "play every few months just because you can learn something new every time" I might wait for the first price drop.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    jahsoldierjahsoldier Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I feel so torn. This was a really fun demo, but it felt like the spiritual successor to Lost Vikings in a way that really made me want to go find a copy of Lost Vikings instead of play this!

For those of you that have picked it up so far, would you say it's something that strikes you as having replay value and multiple ways to go through platforms and puzzles? I wasn't quite sure from the demo, and if it's more of a "play once, then play again in a year or two when you remember it was fun and want to do it again" rather than "play every few months just because you can learn something new every time" I might wait for the first price drop.

Here's a link to my review of Trine. Hope that helps.

jahsoldier on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So wtf - we got Fat Princess instead of this? I'm pissed.

edit: found the answer :(

http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1857#p9222

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Beat it. It was a lot of fun the whole way through, and I can definitely say the journey was more fun than the destination.

As for everybody complaining about the final level... I died twice and beat it on my third try. Seriously, it wasn't that difficult.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    STEAM SALE

Trine is 25% off until August 19th. $22.49 in the US.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Must get it on Steam now if you haven't already

Hawk on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hawk wrote: »
    Must get it on Steam now if you haven't already

I think I'll wait for the PSN version. Isn't that only $20?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)