As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Funky phone wiring, or I don't know what I'm looking at?

FFFF Once Upon a TimeIn OaklandRegistered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So here's what I've got. I have two phone jacks. The first one is rather old looking. The second one is a later install, and looks like it branches off the line from the first jack.

The first (main) phone jack works perfectly when I plug my DSL modem into it.

The second phone jack does not. I get two out of three green lights. (Power and SYS lights, no DSL light) I take that to mean that the modem is fine (obviously since I can connect with the one phone jack), but when in the second phone jack it can't seem to connect my ISP.

I opened up the main jack to take a look at the wiring and found this:
phone_jack_sm.jpg

It looks to me like the second jack (white cable, w/4 pair wires) was only wired to the main phone line (brown cable w/4 solid wires) with 1 pair. Would that be all that was necessary for a regular phone, but not a data connection? And, if so, how would I connect the other 3 pairs of wires from the white cable to be able to get a DSL connection? If absolutely necessary I'll call the phone company, but it doesn't seem like it should be something I couldn't do myself.

Huh...
FF on

• Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A home phone line only requires 2 wires. I don't know why they'd use cat5 for the 2nd jack.

Easiest way from the image would be to make 2 more of the cat5 wires the additional 2 from the main jack. Just make sure that the wires are setup to go in the same order on the jack, and it should work fine.

Phone lines carry very low voltage, but if you're unsure at all, just call a pro.

oh, and just foundthis guide on how to properly wire for cat5 as a phone wire.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thanks for the link. Apparently, the second phone jack was wired to be a separate line. Once I spliced the blue pair into the first jack I was able to get a proper internet connection.

FF on
    Huh...