As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Biochemistry Question

borzou99borzou99 Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
When making phosphatidyl serine via condensation reaction, does the serine lose its -OH or the phosphate?

ssba.gif
borzou99 on

• RookRook Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Probably depends on how you make it, but going from first principles. What do you think is more likely to exist as an R-OH, the phosphate or the alcohol? (there might be a slight clue in the name).

Rook on
  • borzou99borzou99 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    My friend and I were debating this point, but unfortunately I don't have my science texts on me. I thought it would be serine that loses it's hydroxyl.

borzou99 on
    ssba.gif
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So... phosphate doesn't have a hydroxide group while serine does, right?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Phosphates dont normally have protonated edges, do they?

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Phosphates dont normally have protonated edges, do they?

Not unless you're in a really acidic environment, and certainly not when compared to alcohol side chains.

I mean my straight up answer is I don't know, and I thought generally phosphatidyl serine was made from converting other phospholipids or through CDP-diglyceride. But if you just had a vat of serine and phosphatic acid and mixing them together, then that's probably what happens.

Rook on