As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[360 On!] The Left 4 Dead Thread - Now with 100% less TF2

Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
This is the 360 L4D Thread, since the old one was predominantly PC users and then got sucked into some sort of mindfuck black hole. So here we are. Original OP credit goes to... I have no idea. Someone. Not me.
Basics:
Left 4 Dead is a multiplayer cooperative survival horror shooter in development by Valve, based on the Source engine. There are two sides, the Survivors and Infected. Four players control the four Survivors, working their way through campaigns in rural and urban areas, fighting off dozens of the AI-controlled "infected" (fast, 28 Days Later style zombies). On top of the regular zombies, there are four player-controlled "boss zombies" all with unique powers for causing chaos. This mix of the dozens of AI-controlled infected zombies and the boss zombies makes for an entirely fresh co-op experience. - Left4Dead411
Xbox Live Gamertag Group -A PA L4D Group

Send a friend invite to "A PA L4D Group" to be entered into this group. We'll use this gamertag as a central hub for the 360. I doubt we'll exceed 100, but if we do we'll figure that out when we get there.

Kris_xK is handling invites for the 360 "A PA L4D Group" friend list. PM him about the 360 version ONLY please if there is any trouble with your friend invitation to PA L4D.

Stuff

Information Compendium by Sol Invictus

Valve Merch
Zoom_L4DFrancis-Shirt.jpg

Zoom_L4DIHateVansShirt.jpg

l4d_posters.jpg
(These are 18" by 24" wall posters)

Meet The Boss Infected
l4dzombie.png

The Tank :
This guy is a powerhouse. When he appears his own music plays and it is very distinctive. Don't be fooled by his size, anything you can climb onto he can climb on to too. He likes to rip chunks of the ground out from under him and throw them in your general direction. Concentrate your fire and whatever you do.. don't stop moving if you are the same level as him. Molotovs are an effective strategy as the Tank will burn until he dies.

The Boomer :
This fat fuck likes nothing more than to waddle up to you and vomit all over you. Now you may think that is disgusting by itself, but this bile that now covers you attracts the horde of infected. So if you are vomited on try and get to a semi defendable position. This can be easier said than done as the bile impairs your vision. He also like to explode when shot, showering people nearby with the same bile. If you find yourself in close proximity to one then first bash him away, retreat and then shoot.

The Hunter :
I hate these guys. They emit a scream when near so you can tell when they are close. These chaps like to jump incredible distances onto survivors, pinning them and then proceeding to rape their face ( not literally ). When pinned a survivor can only be saved by another survivor removing the Hunter. He can also climb and jump onto walls so if you hear one be aware he may not be on ground level. Shooting or meleeing the Hunter during his "animation" will free the survivor. You can't hurt the victim with gunfire but don't go all rambo because you may end up hitting them after the Hunter is gone.

The Smoker :
If you offered this guy an ice cream from 50 feet away then he would have no problem taking the first lick right then and there. For you see, this guy has a massive tongue. One that he uses to ensnare survivors and drag them in. The only way to free the survivor is kill the smoker or shoot his tongue. This one also likes to spawn on rooftops and drag you upwards, so be aware. On death he emits a cloud of noxious smoke that impairs vision as you pass through it, giving him his name. Shooting or meleeing the victim will free him from the tongue without hurting them. If you are close enough save your ammo, if you aren't then shoot.

The Witch :
Oh boy. The first time you encounter one of these it can be truly chilling. Even subsequent encounters can do so. First you hear crying. Then her oh so creepy music plays. Then you see her. Oh, she doesn't look that bad, just sitting there, crying her eyes out. Don't be fooled, for this lady absolutely hates noise, lights and touching. The best idea is to avoid her completely, flashlights off and trying to be as quiet as possible. When disturbed she homes in on the one who disturbed her and rips them a new one. Coordinated players can take her down before she harms anyone, but at times this can be risky.

Basic Survival Suggestions
  • Friendly fire is ON at all times. Please try to remember this when moving around other survivors. Accidents are bound to happen but most can be avoided by hugging walls and crouching if you decide to take the lead.
  • Melee is your friend. This can give you some much needed breathing room and also seperates nearby infected from you so fellow survivors can shoot them easier. You can also melee in the middle of reloading, so when in doubt, melee.
  • You can heal other survivors with med kits. Simply stand next to them with the medkit equipped and use your secondary function key, whatever that may be. This also applies to pain pills, which you hand to them. Be aware that doing so will switch whatever that survivor is holding for the pills. So try to hand them over when the survivor isn't in a combat situation. For some reason infected don't die if you point a pot of pills at them.
  • More info on each boss zombie is above if you haven't read it already.
  • Hunters should use their right click attack unless they want to distract or pin, as it does more damage, hits multiple targets, and you stay completely silent when standing.
  • Melee will free a smoker-constricted team member.
  • Team members cannot take friendly fire damage when pinned or constricted.
The Achievements
For those who care about achievements, here they are for your viewing pleasure.

calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
Kris_xK on

• Options
    edited December 2008
    And... go.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So is it cool if we talk about the PC version in here?

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    darklite_x wrote: »

:arrow: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=74641

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    MrDelish wrote: »
    darklite_x wrote: »

:arrow: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=74641

Personally I dont care, as long as it isnt TF2 or someshit.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have a 360!

Heres a fun question. If i were to buy this and play it offline for a week, would i be having fun by the end or would i not be?

I like bots, we get along ok.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    WootloopsWootloops Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Witchsight wrote: »
    I have a 360!

Heres a fun question. If i were to buy this and play it offline for a week, would i be having fun by the end or would i not be?

I like bots, we get along ok.

The real fun is playing it online with real people. Single-player just doesn't capture interest for very long. I'd compare it to drinking alone - it can be fun, but it's kind of sad and not really ideal or recommended.

Wootloops on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I got bored of the single player before I even finished it (which is like, three or four hours or so). It's great if you have real-life friends who want to play split-screen and online with you, but otherwise I don's see it having long legs except for the "STILL playing Counter Strike online" kind of crowd.

Of course, I can see them leaving L4D for more Counter Strike in a year or so too.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Wow.

Thanks for putting the link to the handy how to video in there Ars.

Kris_xK on