As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Time Magazine's Top 10 Games of the Year

Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
Lev Grossman has written a pretty interesting list of the "Top 10 Games of 2008" for Time Magazine.

It's got games like Braid, LBP and GTA IV up there, but some of the choices just leave me puzzled. Here they are, if you don't want to bother with clicking 'next' 10 times:
1. GTA4
2. Braid
3. Little Big Planet
4. Rock Band 2
5. Gears of War 2
6. Dead Space
7. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (WTF?)
8. Hunted Forever
9.Field Runners
10. Spore

I'm not going to rag on Spore (everyone's already admitted that it sucks), but what the heck are the games in 7-9? I could think of a number of games that could fit that list, like Fallout 3, L4D, King's Bounty or some console games, like MGS4 or Valkyrie Chronicles or some other gem from Japan.

The pick for Star Wars: Force Unleashed is just terrible. There's no way to argue against that.

Their Top 10 movies list is arguably just as bad (Speed Racer is #9). It also looks like they're pandering to the lowest common denominator with their instructions on how to play a Youtube video on their Top 10 Viral Videos list. "Click center arrow to play". Yeah.

Sol Invictus on

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Lost interest the moment I saw GTA4 at the top.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That is an interesting list. looks like GTAIV will be a pretty common list topper.
    Here's IGN AU's top 10...

1. GTA 4
    2. Fallout 3
    3. Left 4 Dead
    4. Dead Space
    5. Mirrors Edge
    6. Fable 2
    7. LittlebigPlanet
    8. Braid
    9. MGS4
    10. Resistance 2

With the except of Mirrors Edge I think its pretty decent.
    I think Fallout 3 should be on that Time list :(

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    I am suprised to see Dead Space on two lists already, the game was okay but I can't see it being on a GOTY list.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gears of War 2?

Really?

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I liked TFU.... of course I didn't play it until after the patch.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    No Twilight of the Arnor = M M M M EEEEEGAFAIL

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008

It's a horrible thing when me and DarkWarrior both agree that it sucks.

Sheep on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I love how, every year, these lists (polls) make the people here die a little bit more inside.

I both loathe and enjoy it.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I liked TFU.... of course I didn't play it until after the patch.

There was a patch? Son of a bitch. Never have I beaten a game so quickly yet with so much frustration ...

Pro tip: A lot of the times, frustrating fights can be avoided by, you know, running away to the next check point.

Edit: 8. Hunted Forever
    9.Field Runners ... I've never heard of these and I follow games pretty much religiously. What the fuck?

Edit 2: Oh flash game and iPhone. Fuck that, those aren't games.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sheep wrote: »

It's a horrible thing when me and DarkWarrior both agree that it sucks.

I don't think "sucks" is the right word, but it sure as fuck isn't the best game to come out this year.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Only game on that list that I've played is GTA4, and its a rather lame game.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You don't play a lot of video games do you?

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hearthjaw wrote: »
    That is an interesting list. looks like GTAIV will be a pretty common list topper.
    Here's IGN AU's top 10...

1. GTA 4
    2. Fallout 3
    3. Left 4 Dead
    4. Dead Space
    5. Mirrors Edge
    6. Fable 2
    7. LittlebigPlanet
    8. Braid
    9. MGS4
    10. Resistance 2

With the except of Mirrors Edge I think its pretty decent.
    I think Fallout 3 should be on that Time list :(

I didn't really enjoy Mirror's Edge, but the innovation alone makes it worth a mention, and I think that it did a lot of things that future games should incorporate.

The time list was just objectively bad. Hunted Forever looks like a slower, duller Mirror's Edge. GTAIV, while a decent game, doesn't tie story with gameplay at all (there was a discussion about this in the last GTA thread, about how you can be filthy rich yet Nico is still willing to do anything for cash, and how
    the final deal, which is supposed to make you, can be insignificant compared to the cash you have at that point.
    He doesn't even mention that Braid is a puzzle game as much as, if not more than, a platformer. GoW2 gets in the list for being the same as before but with prettier backgrounds. I haven't played it, maybe it deserves to be in the list, but not on those grounds.

All in all, I get the feeling that these are not the ten best games of the year, but the only ten games he's played this year. There's no other excuse.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Fizban140 wrote: »

Only the good ones.

though to be fair, Dead Space is supposedly really good, but I haven't gotten around to trying it.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Left 4 Dead should be on that list and GTA IV definitely not #1. The hype was ridiculous. It's fun but at the end of the day it's pretty much just the same old GTA with a new coat of paint.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Cohsae wrote: »
    Left 4 Dead should be on that list and GTA IV definitely not #1. The hype was ridiculous. It's fun but at the end of the day it's pretty much just the same old GTA with a new coat of paint.

A very dull coat of paint. Vice City and San Andreas were better.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Only the good ones.

though to be fair, Dead Space is supposedly really good, but I haven't gotten around to trying it.

Braid and Dead Space are good games. The rest... aren't my genre, so I won't comment.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's impossible to have a list that doesn't have a lot of people saying "God that's so dumb," especially in a community like this.

That said, it is too bad Fallout 3 didn't make it--I think such deep, involving tpyes of games are better to get the non-gamer, Time magazine kind of crowd interested in games rather than this lowest-common-denominator crap like Rock Band, Guitar Hero, and Wii Sports. That kind of stuff just reinforces their opinion that there's not a lot to this hobby.

Also, interesting quote from IGN's runner up section for Brawl:

It wasn't a great year for Wii. Brawl is a great game, and undoubtedly the best Wii release of the year but it just didn't have the oomph needed to break into the year's top ten. We had a great time hammering away at each other with Nintendo (and Sega's) legendary icons, and it sure brought back plenty of fond memories. Brawl is arguably the best four-player, single-console release of the year but despite offering a fighting engine that's polished to a blinding sheen, Brawl just didn't do anything new or exciting enough to push it above the year's best.

Come to think of it, this was a godawful year for Wii games, wasn't it? I wonder how a company goes from having Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 all in a few months to...this.

Darlan on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hunted Forever? As in the fucking Flash game?

Nice list, Time.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    GTA4 is pretty much the #1 most overrated game this year. It's decent, but I wouldn't put it on any Top 10 Best Games list. Spore is like 2008's Black & White.

I don't know if I'd even write a "top 10 best" games list. There were a lot of mediocre games and none of them deserve any sort of inclusion into the list just because there's nothing better to fill the slots.

My own list would read as follows (PC only):
    1. Left 4 Dead
    2. Fallout 3
    3. Dead Space

That's pretty much it. There's no reason to throw some mediocre title like Spore, Mercenaries 2, Far Cry 2 or Mirror's Edge in there just because there's nothing better, y'know? That's what bugs me about these lists. It's as if anything above 5 is filler.

Were I to write my own list, on my blog or whatever, it'd probably be something more interesting than "Best" or "Worst". Most influential to the development of future games, perhaps? Games which raised the standard? Something like that.

The inclusion of Gears of War 2 makes me just go, "Really? Really, really? You have two lifelines remaining, would you like to use one of those instead?". It's the pinnacle of big-budget mediocrity, right next to Too Human and Resistance 2, of course.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cardinal Rule of these kinds of list threads
    TheDude.jpg
    "That's, like, your opinion man."

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Darlan wrote: »
    It's impossible to have a list that doesn't have a lot of people saying "God that's so dumb," especially in a community like this.

I dunno, I think it's very possible to have a top ten list with the 'that's so dumb' being centered around ranking as opposed to inclusion/exclusions.

The IGN AU list for instance. I disagree with placement and grumble a bit at some of the inclusions, but I can see why someone would choose that list. The Time list really makes me wonder what intern came up with it.

They can't even claim the horrible bias that Spike's VGA's have.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    vrstvrst Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I haven't played any of those.

Then again, I only own a gamecube and a shitty laptop...

vrst on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Only the good ones.

Braid is incredible, GoW2 is great too if that is your thing.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hunted Forever was fun, but I can't think of any criteria that you would make a general list of best games of 2008 that it would be in the top ten of.

It would probably be in my top ten flash games of the year, but not even definitely.

My list would probably have World of Goo, Space Invaders Extreme, Mirror's Edge and Fallout 3 on it too.

LewieP on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ?Since when does the times do video game top tens? Is this new?

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    On one hand everyone is entitled to their own opinion

On the other hand Left 4 Dead not being in the top 5 is complete bullshit

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm gonna stick my head out and say that GTA IV deserves a place in the top 10, not 1st place but hell I really enjoyed it and I'm still getting a lot out of it. Its not GOTY though.

Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead are definitely my favourite 2 releases of the year and not putting them in the top 10 ain't right, even with L4D shitty lobby system and Fallout 3's GOD FREAKING SHIT POOP crashes.

The wii unfortunately is still gathering dust, it was over taken by GH/Rock Band as the party game/thing of choice months and months ago. But my mum does want to get wii fit maybe it'll get some action soon..

The thing I like about the IGN list is that 5 out of 10 of the games are new franchises, its irrational but it makes me happy.

Hearthjaw on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    On one hand everyone is entitled to their own opinion

On the other hand Left 4 Dead not being in the top 5 is complete bullshit
    Eh, I wouldn't put it in the top 5 either. Opinions opinions etc

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    seabass wrote: »

They've even got a Top 10 Viral Videos list, one of which is an update to one that was made in 2005 (Guy who dances a jig across the world.). I can't be bothered to keep clicking 'next' to find out what the others are, but I bet it has Chocolate Rain, Sneezing Panda, Laughing Baby, Talking Cats, and What What In The Butt.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

They've even got a Top 10 Viral Videos list, one of which is an update to one that was made in 2005 (Guy who dances a jig across the world.). I can't be bothered to keep clicking 'next' to find out what the others are, but I bet it has Chocolate Rain, Sneezing Panda, Laughing Baby, Talking Cats, and What What In The Butt.

Christ, did all that shit happen this year? Fucking internet.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The lack of NHL09 mentioned anywhere in this thread makes me sad.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Needs more beached kiwi whales.

Hearthjaw on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Wait a minute didn't TWEWY come out this year?
    Where the fuck is TWEWY on these lists!?
    That game is awesome.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Cohsae wrote: »
    Wait a minute didn't TWEWY come out this year?
    Where the fuck is TWEWY on these lists!?
    That game is awesome.
    Not exactly Time Magazine audience material, though.

Darlan on
  • Options
    bigtunabigtuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Time is such a shitrag, they started doing video game stuff somewhat recently, but like with everything else they write about it's written for the lowest common denominator.

bigtuna on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As cohsae has astutely pointed out, I should put this thread in context more.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    What the fuck is this? Fucking poll threads.

Well it's that time of the year.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Christ, did all that shit happen this year? Fucking internet.

Yeah. You know how the more information there is out there for us to process, the more compressed time seems to become? Like, a year becomes the equivalent of a decade in terms of the amount of stuff that happens. It's the same way with evolution and technological advancement, with increasing complexities and what.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Did you guys consider that Time doesn't list things by how fun they are, but maybe their impact? Like when George W. Bush was Person of the Year?

The only game on that list that doesn't fit that mold is maybe Dead Space, but GTA4 had a stupidly huge launch and backlash, Braid was innovative, likewise with LBP, Rock Band was Wii-Sports-big, and so on.

p.s. You would be a piss poor magazine if you mentioned game progress throughout the year and you neglected to mention any iphone games. That was a huge explosion in the industry, like it or not.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png