As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rod Blagojevich: in ur senate, sellin ur seats

• EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    Emanon wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Illinois, what is wrong with you??

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=6559104

Also, where is the media in all this? Is it because Blago is a Democrat and gets a free pass?
    Did you just link to a news story on Blago to chide the press about not talking enough about Blago?

Not just the media but general public outrage as well. I know it's cold in Chicago this time of year but I hadn't seen much on protests against this slime.

Wow, to think Mos Eisley was bad...

Protest what? Madigan is going to the Supreme Court to get him ousted ASAP, and the legislature voted unanimously to start impeachment when they convened on Monday. Am I supposed to go put him under citizen's arrest while he's out on bail?

Can you? That'd be great.

Did you see that? I answered your sarcasm with my sarcasm.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Illinois, what is wrong with you??

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=6559104

Also, where is the media in all this? Is it because Blago is a Democrat and gets a free pass?
    Did you just link to a news story on Blago to chide the press about not talking enough about Blago?

Not just the media but general public outrage as well. I know it's cold in Chicago this time of year but I hadn't seen much on protests against this slime.

Wow, to think Mos Eisley was bad...

Protest what? Madigan is going to the Supreme Court to get him ousted ASAP, and the legislature voted unanimously to start impeachment when they convened on Monday. Am I supposed to go put him under citizen's arrest while he's out on bail?

Can you? That'd be great.

Did you see that? I answered your sarcasm with my sarcasm.

Very clever.

Now tell me what I'm supposed to be protesting. Because I'm rather happy with the unanimous vote to begin impeachment. Quite happy indeed.

moniker on
  • Ghandi 2Ghandi 2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So the Lt Gov is going to appoint the successor because they are afraid that the people might elect a Republican? What the fuck, Illinois, did somebody actually say this out loud? Does nobody realize how bad this looks?

Ghandi 2 on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What is there to protest? He's not getting away with anything.

Scooter on
    edited December 2008
    Scooter wrote: »

Blago is still in office.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ghandi 2 wrote: »
    So the Lt Gov is going to appoint the successor because they are afraid that the people might elect a Republican? What the fuck, Illinois, did somebody actually say this out loud? Does nobody realize how bad this looks?
    I don't understand the rush for a special election anyways.

The governor gets to pick a replacement. If the governor is stripped of his duties (as this asshat should be) the lt. gov takes over. So, logically, the lt. gov should get to pick the person for the chair. Where's the problem here? Why go through the time, and more importantly, the money for a special election?

Tach on
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ghandi 2 wrote: »

Well, it is sort of an odd case because they don't have special elections laws yet, and I'm not sure about Illinois but I think in some places it is somewhat expected that you replace a midterm empty seat with someone of the same party. If there wasn't any scandal around this appointment then it would have surely gone to a democrat, so at that baseline it doesn't look quite so bad as it would in a vacuum.

Savant on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Due process is a bitch sometimes.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Right, if only someone would go and shoot politicians the moment they were charged with something.

Where's my rolleyes

Scooter on
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

So what do you want, us to drag him out into the street so we can stone the fucker? He hasn't even been indicted yet, much less convicted. There's a little thing called the rule of law, and while it might not be moving quite as fast as you want it to it does seem to be moving quite in the right direction in this case. And it is moving far faster than it has been for a ton of other cases of political scandal.

For somewhat analogous cases, are you mad that Karl Rove hasn't been locked up in the Capitol basement yet? Or that Sarah Palin stonewalled endlessly on Troopergate?

Savant on
    edited December 2008

So is resigning...

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Legally he has the right to still be in office

morally he's a fuckwit for not having the decency to step down

nexuscrawler on
    edited December 2008

Thank you!

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Thank you!

The fact that the former case is quickly being remedied has something to do with the lack of mass rebellion in Chicagoland.

That and the fact the current POTUS has done more corrupt things. Most people achieved outrage exhaustion years ago.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited December 2008

So is resigning...
    And who has any say over this but Blagojevich?

Yeah, the guy who just got caught selling a senate seat is going to step down out of a sense of duty to his constituents.

They've got ramrod impeachment papers drawn up already. He's boned. I think the people of Illinois are pretty much outraged-out at this point and just ready to get it over with.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited December 2008

So is resigning...

I can't resign the office of Governor for someone else. My forgery skills are -5 and I suck at saving throws.

moniker on
    edited December 2008
    Bassically he just doesn't care anymore. his offenses were so cartoonishly corrupt he's not going to be able to do anything else once he's booted.

Compare that to someone like Spitzer who destroyed his public image but resigned gracefully who could still have a future somewhere other than government.

nexuscrawler on
    edited December 2008
    Bassically he just doesn't care anymore. his offenses were so cartoonishly corrupt he's not going to be able to do anything else once he's booted.

Compare that to someone like Spitzer who destroyed his public image but resigned gracefully who could still have a future somewhere other than government.
    Yeah, this and the Spitzer situation are vastly different, for a lot of reasons. Spitzer had every reason to leave quickly and on as high a note as he could muster. Blagojevich really only has one thing standing between him and a lot of fines and jail time, and it's something the legislature is slated to take away in a week or so. He's going to milk it for bargaining position as long as he's got it.

OptimusZed on

• RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Seeing how the state supreme court threw out the attempts to get him to step down, without any comment or explanation, this could drag on for awhile :|

I honestly don't get that decision. I mean the guy is red-handed, on tape. Even if its a leave of absence until the 'investigation' is complete, the guy shouldn't be around.

Raynaga on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Seeing how the state supreme court threw out the attempts to get him to step down, without any comment or explanation, this could drag on for awhile :|

I honestly don't get that decision. I mean the guy is red-handed, on tape. Even if its a leave of absence until the 'investigation' is complete, the guy shouldn't be around.
    What? No, they just threw out a complaint that Blagojevich should be stripped of powers essentially because he's being investigated. Basically, they didn't want to create a precedent that could override impeachment proceedings.

Fencingsax on
    edited December 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »

What? No, they just threw out a complaint that Blagojevich should be stripped of powers essentially because he's being investigated. Basically, they didn't want to create a precedent that could override impeachment proceedings.
    Yep. They didn't want to let him off without the proper proceedings. I don't blame them, though there are certainly those who would rather see him gone now than wait another week for the impeachment.

OptimusZed on

edited December 2008
    Perhaps I misread the article earlier today then. My understanding was that the state Attorney General petitioned the Supreme Court to have him at least step aside until this is all concluded based on the amount of evidence against him and the frenzy of attention its caused; the rational being that the guy isn't doing his job right now, he's just being a media magnet. Which, honestly, seems pretty accurate.

I'm not saying they should have summarily stripped him of his position permanently, but if for instance a cop is involved in the shooting death of a suspect they are put on leave until the investigation is concluded. Applying a similar process to a governor, particularly one against whom the evidence is mounting and blatant, doesn't seem like a bad thing.

Raynaga on
    edited December 2008
    Perhaps I misread the article earlier today then. My understanding was that the state Attorney General petitioned the Supreme Court to have him at least step aside until this is all concluded based on the amount of evidence against him and the frenzy of attention its caused; the rational being that the guy isn't doing his job right now, he's just being a media magnet. Which, honestly, seems pretty accurate.

I'm not saying they should have summarily stripped him of his position permanently, but if for instance a cop is involved in the shooting death of a suspect they are put on leave until the investigation is concluded. Applying a similar process to a governor, particularly one against whom the evidence is mounting and blatant, doesn't seem like a bad thing.

It would have been ruling him unfit to serve. Which is fine if the governor falls into a coma or something and you need an acting governor, but not when he is still fully in his capacities. The legislature is impeaching him. That may take longer than the drive Lisa Madigan made over the weekend, but it is the right way to do it. SCOTSOIL(?) recognized this, and I'm actually a bit perturbed that she felt that the AG should draft that sort of petition. Yeah, it sucks, but due process is important.

moniker on
    edited December 2008

As soon as he's out of office, even on an interim basis, Blagojevich is going to be remanded to custody. Once that happens, all impeachment proceedings will be moot. Skipping that process sets a precedent that allows for future "non-impeachments" in less decisively over circumstances.

OptimusZed on

edited December 2008
    Makes sense. Sucks giant donkey dick, but makes sense. I misunderstood the intent of the action.

Raynaga on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Makes sense. Sucks giant donkey dick, but makes sense. I misunderstood the intent of the action.

It's okay. In situations like this, I try to think of the "cutting down all the laws in England" scene in A Man For All Seasons.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    In a move that didn't surprise me at all, Blaggy is claiming he is completely innocent and won't resign.

Wonder how long until he gets impeached anyway?

Clint Eastwood on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    In a move that didn't surprise me at all, Blaggy is claiming he is completely innocent and won't resign.

He's claiming the wiretaps are "taken out of context".

I can't think of any context that would include them that would be even halfway good.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited December 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »

From what I understand the article they tried to use is primarily intended to remove an incapacitated or otherwise unable governor. it was a long shot to start with.

nexuscrawler on
  • Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Maybe Blag (Blech?) didn't quite realize the hierarchy of Chicago politics these days.

Zombie Nirvana on
    edited December 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »

They already did on Monday, unanimously. Now it's just a matter for the proceedings to move forward. Hopefully by the new year.

moniker on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have to admit, this guy sounds like a 1920's caricature more than an actual human being.

I don't think he should go to prison. I think he needs to go to a mental ward and be observed closely, so that we can learn more about the telltale symptoms of his unique mental illness.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited December 2008
    I have to admit, this guy sounds like a 1920's caricature more than an actual human being.

I don't think he should go to prison. I think he needs to go to a mental ward and be observed closely, so that we can learn more about the telltale symptoms of his unique mental illness.

Actually, the thing he sounds the most like is a modern day Balkan politician.

And he is. Just in America.

OptimusZed on

• VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    lol! Remind me to never go to the Balkans.

Ever.

E v e r.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    At this point, I'm somewhat convinced that Blago will, at some point, use the appointment. Either in a sale or as a weapon.

*If he gets off, he'll sell it or take it himself.
    *If it becomes obvious to him that he's going down, he will appoint his biggest enemy (Madigan) on the theory that she won't be able to keep it.
    *If he just can't be sure in the middle of the trial, he might use it on the leader of the opposition (probably Fitzgerald) and try and get that person taken out, on the theory that the appointee now has a conflict of interest and can't be trusted to lead the prosecution.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited December 2008
    My question is what dumbfuck would accept that seat now

nexuscrawler on
    edited December 2008

No one, and if he pretends that you don't need their approval in order to get appointed they'll immediately resign the office anyway.

moniker on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Right. The problem with Gosling's scenario is that if Blago tries to appoint someone else the appointee could just decline the appointment. It might hurt them if they were actually seeking it (declining it from Blago but accepting it elsewhere may raise an eyebrow or two) but otherwise is a nonissue.

Now, the other scenario - Blago appoints himself - is an interesting option, and one he could use if his trial starts to go south. Would the trial continue, since he would no longer be governor? It would be a short-lived reprieve, though, since I cannot see any way that the US Senate would accept the appointment (i.e., they immediately vote to throw him out, like what they were planning to do with Ted Stevens).

Tomanta on
    edited December 2008
    Tomanta wrote: »

Right. The problem with Gosling's scenario is that if Blago tries to appoint someone else the appointee could just decline the appointment. It might hurt them if they were actually seeking it (declining it from Blago but accepting it elsewhere may raise an eyebrow or two) but otherwise is a nonissue.

Now, the other scenario - Blago appoints himself - is an interesting option, and one he could use if his trial starts to go south. Would the trial continue, since he would no longer be governor? It would be a short-lived reprieve, though, since I cannot see any way that the US Senate would accept the appointment (i.e., they immediately vote to throw him out, like what they were planning to do with Ted Stevens).

It's a criminal trial. The impeachment would be halted, but that's the least of his worries.

moniker on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tomanta wrote: »

It's a criminal trial. The impeachment would be halted, but that's the least of his worries.

I was actually referring to the impeachment proceedings, not the federal ones. But I didn't word it clearly, so my fault :).

Tomanta on