As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TMNT Smash Up: A ha ha ha (A ha ha ha) Hey heyo (hey heyo)

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Krang was a cartoon-only character. Originally there was a whole race of guys like him.

As an in-joke though, one of the Ultroms from the 2003 cartoon was named Krang.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kor wrote: »
    A question for those of you who are faithful to the old comic.

where does Krang come in? or whats his relation to the original comic, if any?

Does not exist in the comic. There is a race of aliens that are similar to him, but they aren't evil. They're the ones that created the ooze.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So the Utrom's in the 2003 series are based off a similar species in the comic?

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
    edited December 2008
    They're pretty much the exact same creatures. The 2003 series adapted the original comics almost word for word. Which was good for me having never read the old comics (parents didn't allow it, too violent).

edited December 2008
    One more clarification question. in the old 80's series... wasn't there a race of teenage kid aliens called utroms that had flying cars?

(They were also in the background of one of the stages in Turtles: Tournament Fights if I recall)

Kor on
    edited December 2008
    Yeah. Nutrinos.

The old cartoon has not aged well. Nostalgia is one thing, but claiming it was better than the 2003 series is just ignorant.

I mean sure, it had a hotter April, but I prefer the one that doesn't get kidnapped and tied up in seductive poses every five minutes per episode.

edited December 2008
    Man, you know what was great thought?

That episode of the old TMNT cartoon that guest star'd the fucking Battle Toads.

It was like a whole different version of premature ejaculation.

Kor on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

That episode of the old TMNT cartoon that guest star'd the fucking Battle Toads.

Wait, WHAT?

I mean, I'm pretty sure they featured some mutant frogs at some point, but I'm pretty sure they weren't Rare's Battletoads.

Battletoads actually had a cartoon pilot, I think.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    The fourth is not a blockbuster and is kind of a kid movie, but still, any self-respecting TMNT fan needs to see it at least once. I don't think you'll love it, but I'll bet anything you'll like it. I thought it was pretty cool, and I'm certainly picking up the DVD or Blu-Ray if they ever reach those bargain prices.

As far as TMNT '07 goes, I've always said it like this:

"It could have been so much worse."

Considering how easily they could have fucked up a TMNT film, I'm glad we got what we did.

The storyline was a bit weak, but I really felt that was the only issue. The visuals were fantastic, especially considering the studio was so new to TMNT and CGI films in general. The music, while forgettable, was good, and finally the vocals & characterizations were spot on.

Now only if we could get an awesome storyline to stack all of that on top of.

Yeah, I think TMNT doesn't need a "vortex with aliens or magic guys from another planet or era" to be good, and that was the weaker part of the movie for me (I'd rather see them fight Foot Soldiers and the Shredder, really), but I loved the characters and the eternal Leo VS Raph conflict was just perfect.

My god. The fight scene in the rain is still some of the most amazing CGI animation put to film.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited December 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Wait, WHAT?

I mean, I'm pretty sure they featured some mutant frogs at some point, but I'm pretty sure they weren't Rare's Battletoads.

You might be right. I'm not really sure since It was almost 20 years ago. D:

I'm getting some results in google, but I can't click on shit due to my Location.

Kor on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Wait, WHAT?

You might be right. I'm not really sure since It was almost 20 years ago. D:

I'm getting some results in google, but I can't click on shit due to my Location.

The problem with Googling TMNT and Battletoads together is that nearly every page with Battletoads on it describes them as a TMNT imitator, and TMNT pages mention Battletoads as an imitator.

Wikipedia's pages for the two each mention the other, but say nothing about guest-starring in the other show, so there's that.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited December 2008
    It wasn't the Battletoads, it was these cajun frogs that helped them fight Leatherhead. They only showed up about 2 or 3 times, tops.

Also I'm pretty sure they predate the Battletoads, so one way or another Rare plagiarized the Turtles series. :/

• SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It wasn't the Battletoads, it was these cajun frogs that helped them fight Leatherhead. They only showed up about 2 or 3 times, tops.

Also I'm pretty sure they predate the Battletoads, so one way or another Rare plagiarized the Turtles series. :/

Yeah, they were four other mutant frogs kind of like counterparts to the turtles in that (had to look it up from here) Shredder created them to fight the turtles and named them after famous evil dudes (Attila, Genghis, Napoleon (Bonafrog), and Rasputin) but the turtles convinced them to become good. They fought Leatherhead a few times.

The Battletoads had one pilot cartoon and it was one of the worst things ever. Good to make fun of though.

Schide on
  • AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I mean sure, it had a hotter April, but I prefer the one that doesn't get kidnapped and tied up in seductive poses every five minutes per episode.

Really? Think about it. :winky:
    Gilder wrote: »
    Do they seriously bring back the Shredder in yet another form though? Good lord, the Shredder died about 4 times in the newest series. How can they keep bringing him back?

My favorite was the first time. The turtles battle to the top of Shredder's tower for the ultimate confrontation and Leo cuts his freaking head off.

That was the first episode of the 2003 series that I happened to come across.

"Hey Ninja Turtles is back. I remember that show."

"The animation's a lot spiffier."

"...... whoa."

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ha, I remember that ending. I was all OHHH MY GAAWD that just happened

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
    edited December 2008
    The best thing about Shredder being an Utrom is that they could give him a badass backstory about him being this tyrant across the planet for hundreds of years.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Finally, Leo uses his sword not for knocking someone out.

Djiem on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Do they seriously bring back the Shredder in yet another form though? Good lord, the Shredder died about 4 times in the newest series. How can they keep bringing him back?

My favorite was the first time. The turtles battle to the top of Shredder's tower for the ultimate confrontation and Leo cuts his freaking head off.

That was the first episode of the 2003 series that I happened to come across.

"Hey Ninja Turtles is back. I remember that show."

"The animation's a lot spiffier."

"...... whoa."

Holy shit does anyone have a link to this?

Arch on
    edited December 2008

20060802bsandp.png

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Bishop's stage better have poorly placed dangling hooks!

Furu on
    edited December 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6az1nyM-Bjo

Start at about 3:30.

I have the first two seasons or so of this on DVD, but I was a young foolish individual and bought them when they were being released on "five episodes per disc" sets. Now they have actual "season" sets.

Grr.

I might end up picking up the new sets and sell my individual discs.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I have the first two seasons or so of this on DVD, but I was a young foolish individual and bought them when they were being released on "five episodes per disc" sets. Now they have actual "season" sets.

Grr.

Yesssss!

But who are those Matrix throwbacks?

Arch on
    edited December 2008
    Arch wrote: »

Grr.

Yesssss!

Alien brains hiding in the chests of humanoid robot bodies.

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Another great moment was that in the Ninja Tribunal, the enemy is trying to collect the 3 or 5 pieces of the original demon Shredder or something. Well they show how they divided him into those pieces, which was by placing Shredder in a coffin type thing with some "dividers" on the inside of the lid and then closing it. They're quite obviously blades. They show the lid coming down from Shredder's point of view and Shredder is also still alive during this.

Gilder on
    edited December 2008

I.....uh....I....

My claim still stands. On the record.

Grr.

That two parter was basically Splinter and the Turtles saying "Fuck this Shredder bullshit, let's knock down his door and cut his fool head off." What resulted was two episodes of nonstop fighting from Floor 1 to Floor 100, resulting in a final head slicing finale.

I can't believe 4Kids produced this show. Also, is the consensus to skip the Flash Forward season and jump ahead to the new Back From The Sewer season?

• SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think the consensus might be to just skip Fast Forward and then not watch Back to the Sewer, except the only opinions I've heard are mine based on watching one horrible episode of Back to the Sewer, and Gilder, who presumably watched at least some of both.

Schide on
    edited December 2008
    No I've never seen Back to the Sewer but I did watch an episode or two of Flash Forward. It's just for the kids who don't get the "seriousness" of the series because it's full of lame jokes, throwaway villains, no real overarching storyline, and in the end I think they get warped back to before it happened and none of the stuff is mentioned again. Bishop is supposed to be in it because I heard them mention him but I never saw him show up. He was probably pretty cool though. They also got super lazy on the animation for FF. No detail or anything.

The biggest problem with FF was it took the place of the Ninja Tribunal when we all wanted that story to continue and FF does not fit in that timeline. The season leading up to the tribunal leaves on a cliffhanger and FF takes place in some odd time because I don't even think Leo's shell is messed up. So yeah, I'd suggest skipping both FF and BttS. The 2k3 series is fantastic otherwise and the only time I felt it dragged was the "Emo Leo" season. That got really old really fast.

Gilder on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Probably because it isn't Konami, who has traditionally done most of the TMNT games. Ubisoft I'm pretty sure did the terrible games based off the new movie, the exception being the GBA game which was really good.

This could be interesting though. I love TMNT and if they make Super Shredder a boss of SNK boss standards, like he deserves to be, I will be one happy person. However Team Ninja better not even think about giving Karai and April double D's. I will wish them into the cornfield so hard if they do.

Yeah, but even the terrible game based off the movie was better than the shit Konami's been pumping out under the franchise these past few years.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Will April's double D's float around non-stop, everywhere and independently like they're in outer space?
    Because that's the Team Ninja way.

Djiem on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just got the new Nintendo Power the other day that had a six page article on this and let me tell you, the screen shots look nice. With the development being early like it is, and the game already looks nice, the final graphical build will be phenominal and may actually surpass Smash Bros.

The stages are all very detailed and have a fun amount of interactivity, just like many of the Smash bros levels did. They only mentioned so far the four turtles and Splinter as playable fighters but they said fans of the TMNT universe will not be dissapointed.

As long as I have Casey Jones to play, I'm happy.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited December 2008
    Anyone posted scans yet?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'll try to get the scans up tonight.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I just got the new Nintendo Power the other day that had a six page article on this and let me tell you, the screen shots look nice. With the development being early like it is, and the game already looks nice, the final graphical build will be phenominal and may actually surpass Smash Bros.

The stages are all very detailed and have a fun amount of interactivity, just like many of the Smash bros levels did. They only mentioned so far the four turtles and Splinter as playable fighters but they said fans of the TMNT universe will not be dissapointed.

As long as I have Casey Jones to play, I'm happy.

This is sounding better and better! Can't wait to see the scans, and thanks for doing them!

IdolNinja on
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I hope the level interactivity is toned a bit down from Brawl levels. Hate to see development time go to gimmick stages.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
    edited December 2008
    I will love Ubisoft so much if one of the stages has Alleycat Blues as the BGM.

Gilder on
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thank you, Brainiac 8! Can't wait to see those scans.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
    edited December 2008
    It looks like Doomsday got him.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Arch wrote: »

Grr.

Yesssss!

For some reason they remind me of ouendan and elite beat agents.

Stregone on
  • VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    And now I have an image of Vanilla Ice's "Ninja Rap!" in the next EBA game.

Vray on
  • TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Thats why I liked it way more when the foot soldiers were robots. Leo would cut them in half down the middle.

TVs_Frank on