As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TMNT Smash Up: A ha ha ha (A ha ha ha) Hey heyo (hey heyo)

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nope. I can tell you his voice doesn't really fit for that guy, but that's probably because I'm used to him playing villain roles nowadays.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • RestartRestart Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    He would be the best to get back so they could have Leonardo AND Rocksteady in one fell swoop.

But after hearing April and Bebop not having their original VAs for sure, I'm just hoping for anybody :lol:D:

Restart on
    spritesWalk.gif
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    I think Mikey says it ironically in the new series a couple of times. Then they tell him to shut up because it sounds dumb. Also cloudeagle (I think?) I saw that post before it got deleted. You got me worried like hell and I had to look it up. Barry Gordon (Donny) ain't dead, don't scare me like that! Unless there was another VA for Don, but Barry is the one I always associate Don with.

I got him confused with Don Messick. :P

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I got to try out Smash Up today. The game was quite fun. It plays pretty much like Smash Brothers, as it has rolling and edges and things that feel like smash moves, but it feels more.... tactical. It feels more like a fighting game than SSB. You have a life bar and the goal is to deplete that, not knock anyone off the stage. You need to actually beat the other person, although there are some stage hazards like pits and those goddamn crocodiles that will kill you. There's also no items or anything that I could see. There were powerups, but I think they were just for upped stats and healing. No hammers or guns.

I played as Splinter, Leonardo, April, and Shredder. I thought Shredder looked awesome as he was based off 2k3, but the others looked a bit odd to me due to the CG style from the movie. Control wise, the game seems pretty solid. I did have issues getting up sometimes, but I blame that on my lack of control knowledge.

In the end, I think I shall be purchasing the game. We only had 2 people at a time, but it was really fun. Since everyone is pretty much a fighter and there's no bullcrap like laser guns or radishes to pick up and throw, every fight felt like a duel. You really have to rush in and start fighting. I like that a lot.

Gilder on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Awesome, thanks Gilder. :^:

I was watching the guys at 1up play the game, and in motion it is much more fast paced than the trailers show, which means they must slow it down a bunch for the trailer so as to not confuse people...I guess.

It looks like it'll be a blast though, as far as party fighting games go. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I doubt Slash will be in it, since Slash was created for the 80s cartoon and the production company for that show holds the rights.

Then again, the production team behind the current cartoon are making a special where the current turtles meet the 80s turtles and their associated characters for some unfathomable reason, so there's that.

You will stop shattering my dreams right now. Slash must be in it. He's perfect for a fighting game. Also he was kind of in a comic so maybe he could work. He was in TMNT Adventures according to wikipedia.

Also that special will be the greatest thing ever produced. Have they revealed the voices of the 80's turtles yet? I can't find the blog anymore with the audio clips, but I really hope they bring back at least Cam Clarke and Rob Paulsen.

Slash was indeed in TMNT Adventures.

The rights thing is kind of weird. Fred Wolf and Lionsgate own the rights to the old show, and I think any art that was originally associated with it. However, the characters I believe now belong to Mirage, and they can create new art and such with the designs, which is what they're doing for a lot of that "retro" merchandise, like the t-shirts and such.

In any case, I have some good news for you guys. It's right at the 3:24 mark:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/53018.html

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited July 2009
    I literally cheered out loud at that 3:24 moment. I was not expecting that in the slightest. I am so hoping for some nostalgia outfits now.

Also, fuck those alligators/crocodiles/Leatherhead. I'm sure they're timed like 10 seconds after the pop-up, but they're hard as hell to dodge. Even when I knew they were coming, I'd still get eaten. Also, they wait for you. They don't have the warning show up and then leave after 20 seconds, oh no. That warning sticks around for like a minute.

Gilder on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, they have the technodrome in the background of that one level.
    I'm disappointed the utrominator is their Krang character. I would have loved to have straight up Krang or the new Exo-Shredder. If the rabbids are in, I hope they have room for one more bunny.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    agoaj wrote: »
    I'm disappointed the utrominator is their Krang character. I would have loved to have straight up Krang or the new Exo-Shredder.

I believe that classic Krang will be there too, but they are saving cartoon versions last. Here are the characters I would like to see:

- Rocksteady
    - Bebop
    - Leatherhead (cartoon)
    - Rat King
    - Tokka
    - Rahzar
    - Baxter Stockman (fly)
    - Krang
    - Shredder (84 version)
    - Rock Soldier

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Goddamn I hate trailers that don't show ANY gameplay. It's such a tease.

Snare on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, that Dev vid from last page did show gameplay, and it looks much more fast-paced than the horrible video shown during E3. I was getting a little scared that the game might suck, but now I'm back on the hype train.

Djiem on
    edited July 2009
    New cartoon Leatherhead, or old?

Either way, I prefer the good guy Leatherhead of the comics and newer cartoon.

Don't see the point on 84 Shredder, unless it's a costume change.

Rocksteady seems like he'd be interesting. I expect him to bring a machine gun to a knife fight.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited July 2009
    New cartoon Leatherhead, or old?

Old. Of course, I haven't even seen the modern one.
    Don't see the point on 84 Shredder, unless it's a costume change.

For me, 2003 Shredder looks rather goofy, and I would prefer to have older Shredder. I just like the '84 model more than the cartoon one.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
    edited July 2009
    Hay gaiz...
    59007492.png

More fun at the Smash Boards and official site, courtesy of GoNintendo.

Interesting thing on the official site... a PS2 logo.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    PS2 eh? I have a friend who's into TMNT without a Wii that'll be happy to hear that.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited July 2009
    Apparently there will be five characters more, seven if the teaser picture doesn't count rabbids as standard characters.

65926667.png

Should be pretty good roster in the end.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
    edited July 2009
    I dunno, four of 'em just look like palette swaps of one-another. ;P

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I've decided that I must buy this game. I sorta skimmed over the thread but they haven't set the number of fighters yet have they?

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    my facebook photo is my slash figure. Want this game so bad.

4568_571261770099_42808976_33501091_8119676_n.jpg

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A kitbash(never heard this term until now) some dude made years back:
    slash1z.jpg
    slash2z.jpg

You can find'em if you look around. His Leatherhead one was a massive reconstruction.

Monsty on
    edited July 2009
    Man my recollection of Slash was never like that . Like ever. Him not being purple is weird as shit.

Is that off model or something?

King Riptor on
    edited July 2009
    Monsty wrote: »
    A kitbash(never heard this term until now) some dude made years back:
    slash1z.jpg
    slash2z.jpg

You can find'em if you look around. His Leatherhead one was a massive reconstruction.

That poor Slash figure...

Sorry, I just really, really don't like what the cartoon did to him. Comic version, all the way, as seen here:

teenagemutantninjaturtllh0.jpg

I prefer this custom by far:

1z3ntc5.jpg

Comic scans from here.

The cartoon literally threw garbage on him.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What, is that an evil ninja turtle or something?

I know nothing about the series.

Godfather on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I know nothing either. But he looks awesome.

Rizzi on
    edited July 2009
    He's Slash, the "evil" mutant turtle from Dimension-X and all-around fan-favorite badass.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like him already.

Rizzi on
    edited July 2009
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I like him already.

He's cool in that as a character he really only does one thing and that's kick ass.

Seriously though I do not remember my favorite villain looking like that though. He lacks proportions completely.

King Riptor on
    edited July 2009
    You're probably remembering him from Turtles in Time, which is where I remember him. He's based off the comic design there, so he doesn't look stupid.

Gilder on
    edited July 2009
    You're probably remembering him from Turtles in Time, which is where I remember him. He's based off the comic design there, so he doesn't look stupid.

That has to be it. I recall the slash episodes vividly though. Perhaps my tortured mind blocked him out?

You know who should be in this? Metalhead. Dude was awesome. IIRC like Slash he only got two episodes.

King Riptor on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm still hoping we get the comic version of Leatherhead, or the comic version of a Triceraton...both would be awesome for the game.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited July 2009
    I always found it interesting that Shredder and Krang would give their robots names that sound more like something the Turtles would call them, i.e. "Metalhead" and "Chromedome."

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I always found it interesting that Shredder and Krang would give their robots names that sound more like something the Turtles would call them, i.e. "Metalhead" and "Chromedome."

Flunkie: "So now that Metalhead defeated the turtles we can-"
    Shredder: "Wait, why did you call my destructive powerful robot Metalhead?"
    F: "Well one of the ninja turtles called it that right before he had a sewer cover thrown at his head and I thought that's what you named him."
    S: "Idiot, I haven't named the robot yet."
    F: "Well whatcha gonna call it?"
    S: "It shall be named... Um..."
    F: "Metalhead?"
    S: "Fine whatever."

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Relevant to everyone's interests, I'm sure.
    tmntforever.jpg

See it in full-resolution here.

Wasn't sure whether I should post it in the other thread or not, since this seems to be the more relevant thread now.

Oh, and I almost forgot: the DS is getting a new Turtles game in November, called TMNT: Arcade Attack.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nice, but I'm still so very confused as to why this exists.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fan service.

Total and completely awesome fan service.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
    edited August 2009
    For those wondering what the new voices for the "old" Turtles sound like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5iy1CMr--Q

Pretty good, I'd say.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

1z3ntc5.jpg

That looks like Slash's lanky and possibly retarded cousin put on his gear in an attempt to look cool. :P

HappylilElf on
    edited August 2009
    For those wondering what the new voices for the "old" Turtles sound like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5iy1CMr--Q

Pretty good, I'd say.

They're okay, but I refuse to believe legal issues complicated them getting Cam Clarke. The guy does everything, union or non-union. He's gone uncredited so many times. That was a pretty good Raphael at any rate. I kind of thought it was Paulsen for a moment.

Gilder on
    edited August 2009

1z3ntc5.jpg

That looks like Slash's lanky and possibly retarded cousin put on his gear in an attempt to look cool. :P

It's based on a Turtle figure from NECA, who has created toys based on the original comic book versions of the Turtles which looked more like this than the He-Man sculpts Playmates released.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So this is out now, probably. Best Buy's have been stocking them early.
    Character list:
    Leo
    Raph
    Don
    Mikey
    Splinter
    April
    Casey
    Night Watcher
    Shredder
    Karai
    Utrominator
    Foot Soldier
    Fugitoid
    Splinter Rabbid
    Raving Rabbid
    Turtle Rabbid
    But that doesn't match the 20 slots listed on the site...

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png