As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hair Falls Off My Body, and Sometimes There is [Chat]

1444546474850»

• ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    Derivative works, even by different authors, reflect upon the source material. They probably shouldn't, and in an ideal world with perfectly rational human beings they probably wouldn't, but unfortunately they kinda do. People's enjoyment of Dune is diminished knowing that there are crappy sequels written by the author's son, for instance.

So it is an irrational device designed to accommodate irrational behavior? That is the first explanation I've seen that's made sense.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    gnight folks

Goodnight.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    gah, my throat is killing me. to hell with this sinus infection

Dynagrip on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Res wrote: »
    Derivative works, even by different authors, reflect upon the source material. They probably shouldn't, and in an ideal world with perfectly rational human beings they probably wouldn't, but unfortunately they kinda do. People's enjoyment of Dune is diminished knowing that there are crappy sequels written by the author's son, for instance.

So it is an irrational device designed to accommodate irrational behavior? That is the first explanation I've seen that's made sense.

I hate you. I hate you and I want you to stop typing.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited December 2008

No, it is a word authors use to describe the scope of their work.

^ that is the simplest way to explain "canon." If you really don't get it, go away and think about it. If you're playing devil's advocate, I swear to God I will slap you so hard across the face if I ever meet you.

Drez on
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008

Then you should have thought of that explanation earlier.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You know, all this talk about canon has me interested in seeing a series of books (preferably science fiction or fantasy) that's written for the explicit purpose of having a story that diverges into two separate series, perhaps in parallel universes or what have you if the author so wishes to explain it as such.

Like, what if (spoiler) never happened to (you know who) in A Game of Thrones? How would the events have played out in the latter books?
    Eddard D:

Yeaaaaaaaah.

I really wish Martin were a more prolific writer. I don't see why Erikson can churn out a thick, wonderful book on a regular 9-month schedule (plus smaller, wonderful books in the time in-between) but Martin takes at least five years to come out with a book, the latest of which is a totally disappointing read. He must be losing his touch.

At his age the concern is that he dies before its completion. Honestly, I'm not beyond the idea of tracking him down, trapping him in a room and forcing him to finish the series at gun point but we have all those laaaaaws and stuff.

Yeah, and now he's spending all of his time doing book tours (instead of writing) and holidaying in Scottish castles and such. Plus he's investing a whole lot of time into that new HBO series, A Game of Thrones.

He sounds increasingly cranky whenever he talks about the books on his blog, too. His last explicit update on the development of the series was in January 2008, but he has mentioned that he's got his manuscript for the upcoming book on backup hard drives and the like. I've no doubt that he'll release the next book, but beyond that, it's anyone's call. It may well be the last book he'll ever write for the series, despite non-completion.

As such, I'm no longer interested in A Game of Thrones. It's sad to say that, but I'd much rather follow a series to completion, like Alistair Reynolds' and Steven Erikson's works. They know how to finish their books and release them on a regular schedule.

Sol Invictus on
    edited December 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Sorry man.

Whenever I get that feeling, I eat these:

http://www.medshopexpress.com/367701.html

If you can find them near you, all the better. They are "extra strength" (Ice Blue) and they have an astonishingly powerful anesthetizing effect for over-the-counter Halls cough drops.

Trust me. Get them if you can.

Drez on
    edited December 2008

I've decided I no longer care if you are actually just stupid. If I ever meet you, I'm going to slap you. It'll go like this "Hi Drez, this is Res" *SLAP* right across your mouth.

Drez on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You know, all this talk about canon has me interested in seeing a series of books (preferably science fiction or fantasy) that's written for the explicit purpose of having a story that diverges into two separate series, perhaps in parallel universes or what have you if the author so wishes to explain it as such.

Like, what if (spoiler) never happened to (you know who) in A Game of Thrones? How would the events have played out in the latter books?
    Eddard D:

Yeaaaaaaaah.

I really wish Martin were a more prolific writer. I don't see why Erikson can churn out a thick, wonderful book on a regular 9-month schedule (plus smaller, wonderful books in the time in-between) but Martin takes at least five years to come out with a book, the latest of which is a totally disappointing read. He must be losing his touch.

At his age the concern is that he dies before its completion. Honestly, I'm not beyond the idea of tracking him down, trapping him in a room and forcing him to finish the series at gun point but we have all those laaaaaws and stuff.

Yeah, and now he's spending all of his time doing book tours (instead of writing) and holidaying in Scottish castles and such. Plus he's investing a whole lot of time into that new HBO series, A Game of Thrones.

He sounds increasingly cranky whenever he talks about the books on his blog, too. His last explicit update on the development of the series was in January 2008, but he has mentioned that he's got his manuscript for the upcoming book on backup hard drives and the like. I've no doubt that he'll release the next book, but beyond that, it's anyone's call. It may well be the last book he'll ever write for the series, despite non-completion.

As such, I'm no longer interested in A Game of Thrones. It's sad to say that, but I'd much rather follow a series to completion, like Alistair Reynolds' and Steven Erikson's works. They know how to finish their books and release them on a regular schedule.

I don't follow the series, but I can see how that'd get insanely frustrating.

yalborap on
    edited December 2008
    I'll probably buy you a drink or something afterward but you deserve to be smacked. It's 4AM and I spent the last hour and a half trying to explain to you what fucking "canon" means for fuck's sake.

Drez on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Elldren wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I take what has happened in the Forgotten Realms as the spellplague as canon.

Note: Not everyone does.

True, but they are irrelevant and nobody cares about them. Though they like to pretend that trolling the official wizards boards endlessly makes them important.

Edit:
    Metaplot? White Wolf games don't have a metaplot. They tried that with Sam Haight, it failed, and they got on with just creating a dark, detailed setting for players to tell their own stories in (as opposed to watching NP Cs do all the cool stuff).

What? Obviously whoever wrote that never fucking played in the oWoD, which is ENTIRELY metaplot based. New supplements and books would permanently modify the setting. In fact, the new setting is static canon wise, while the old setting was always moving towards a final goal, which did happen. They had a huge overall story arch of the world ending and then they went and did it. Part of the problem with the oWoD, especially Vampire, was keeping up with the increasingly complex metaplot that was being put into the game.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I HAVE RETURNED FROM THE AUSSIE BBQ.

It was raining a lot. I got drenched. Good fun had by me at least! It turns out wearing complete beach gear when it's pouring is the most sensible option.

Hot co-worker update: nothing happening so far. I think I need to act soon otherwise I'm going to fall into the creepy friend gap by leaving it too long,

electricitylikesme on
    edited December 2008
    Did Drop Bear assault you?

Aegeri on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Drez wrote: »

Sorry man.

If you can find them near you, all the better. They are "extra strength" (Ice Blue) and they have an astonishingly powerful anesthetizing effect for over-the-counter Halls cough drops.

This reminded me that I have some halls cough drops under my bathroom sink. Thanks! Hopefully the ones I got do the trick. If not I guess I can pick the ice blue ones up tomorrow uh today?

Dynagrip on
    edited December 2008
    No! In fact he wasn't present for a bunch of time because he was trying to find the place and then cake and everything. Also is more bearable in small, group oriented doses.

electricitylikesme on
    edited December 2008

That's not it, you're still not really getting it, and as a writer I am frustrated with you and your inability to grasp that ideas, while not tangible, belong to people, and when you craft something that isn't canon - something that is based on someone else's work and would not exist if not for that work - it should be acknowledged, and is important if only for that. Canon is important in the sense that one idea basically fathered a series of other ideas, and as such the canonical books should be acknowledged as the most accurate interpretation of the idea as it was crafted by the person who came up with it.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited December 2008

Sorry man.

This reminded me that I have some halls cough drops under my bathroom sink. Thanks! Hopefully the ones I got do the trick. If not I guess I can pick the ice blue ones up tomorrow uh today?

Yep, go for it.

If your throat is really bad and you find them, stock up. Get at least three of the square packs.

Drez on
    edited December 2008
    I'm going to bed. I can't deal with this canon shit anymore.

Drez on
    edited December 2008
    Also Aegeri please note how I have sigged you.

Also what uni do you work at?

electricitylikesme on
    edited December 2008

G'night.

In fact, I will do the same.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited December 2008

You can help me shoot my cannon if you like.

And I think you know what I mean.

Aegeri on
    edited December 2008
    Also Aegeri please note how I have sigged you.

Also what uni do you work at?

One in New Zealand (Otago).

I have noticed I assure you.

Aegeri on
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    James wrote: »
    Blue Album is the best Weezer album.

Fuckin' Elldren's post made me pop it in my stereo.

Now I have Holiday stuck in my head.

Haphazard on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    1984, the novel by George Orwell.

Thanatos on
This discussion has been closed.