As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Brutal Legend: Buy it, it's awesome.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It makes me sad for EA. After years of throwing crap out just to make a buck, they decide to repair their image and take on several new IPs and really throw good quality at these releases. Right after they do that, none of it sells well, and now they are faced with some hard choices.

I hope this works out well for them, and it sells well. I would hate for them to revert to how they were before. (Aka, basically how Activision is now.)

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ok, now I'm starting to wonder if they were planning to pick it up all this time, but they wanted to let it hang out there to let a "Brutal Legend is in danger" narrative form so they can look like they're coming in to save the day. I don't care either way, I'm not under the delusion that companies can profit from good intentions.

Hoz on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Evil EA may have done that. This is the newer, nicer EA.

Fawst on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fawst wrote: »

Riccitiello personally riding up on mighty steed, flames blasting from its nostrils, to deliver the contract to Tim Schafer.

The contract is inscribed on the body of a guitar made of stone and iron.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    See, that's the kind of verbal imagery I need more of in life. Good on you, sir.

Fawst on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    See, I do struggle with EA a bit still.

I keep expecting them to go "Aha! You all fell for our wicked scheme", and it will turn out Sigma is behind it or something.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    See, I do struggle with EA a bit still.

I keep expecting them to go "Aha! You all fell for our wicked scheme", and it will turn out Sigma is behind it or something.

Haha, I actually choose to believe that EA's CEO is actually Dr. Wily. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    guitar_solo.jpg

YEEEEAAAHHHH

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Be sure to add this to the OP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojhlfEa3aBQ

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »

Riccitiello personally riding up on mighty steed, flames blasting from its nostrils, to deliver the contract to Tim Schafer.

The contract is inscribed on the body of a guitar made of stone and iron.

You might be joking but I think the truth is actually not that far detracted from this.

Double Fine are community favourites, and EA has shown it is desperately trying to win back support from the core gamers. It's a business move. Their recent financial trouble has proven that they could not sustain their model from the 90s. So they changed it. which meant a lot of new titles, new studios and the EA partners program. whether EA approached them or the other way around is irrelevant. It is of low financial risk for EA, with the game having already been in development a while, but offers a lot of profits, both from sales and from community support.

I mean this is the same EA that Valve fucking Software have said to be excellent in providing support and facilities to help publish games. That carries a lot of clout in the industry, because they know what the fuck theyre talking about.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hell, id signed up under that recommendation, too. EA must be doing something right.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just to pop in in its own thread:
    L&#252 wrote: »

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'll watch and OP that sucker later on.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There can be only one response to that trailer: smiley_rock.gif

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    That's what I'm saying!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    ELECTRIC EYE

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Also, I'm not sure if half of this info is still accurate (the trailer doesn't really jive with what they originally had planned for Brütal Legend), but this 2007 IGN interview from when the game was announced is awesome. If only for:
    IGN AU: Are you worried about the ESRB at all?

Tim Schafer:
    Oh I'm not worried about them at all. They're going to hate it. I mean, mostly we're just making it to our own personal tastes. I mean, I feel, personally, that you can't make a game with a broad axe in it and not have a decapitation. I feel almost like, that would be a bug. Technically speaking.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Also is anyone getting a 'Giants:Citizen kabuto' vibe from this?

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So excited, I mean, words can't express it.

All of the "Jack Black" hoots, hollers, and yells might get a little old, but I can imagine that the "scripted" parts may be pitch perfect.

Spicy_Rev on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    DOUBLE FIIIIIIIIIIIINE

I'm suddenly imagining Eddie as a panda though :P

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Especially because EA is now publishing this ... I really, really hope there's some Rock Band/Guitar Hero controller tie-in somewhere in the game. Even if it's something ludicrous like wailing on guitar during the end credits or something.

Lunker on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lunker wrote: »
    Especially because EA is now publishing this ... I really, really hope there's some Rock Band/Guitar Hero controller tie-in somewhere in the game. Even if it's something ludicrous like wailing on guitar during the end credits or something.

Quick.

Someone email these guys. Best idea ever.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I am very relieved that most of the good games dumped by activision have found a home now. After watching the trailer for this I am optimistic that it will be damn fun to play.

corin7 on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Was pretty unsure about this. But the trailer was awesome. I've never actually played Psychonauts, but i've heard only good things. Also, i'm a fan of Jack Black in general. So yeah, i'll check it out.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It looks fantastic, as expected.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Haikira wrote: »
    Was pretty unsure about this. But the trailer was awesome. I've never actually played Psychonauts, but i've heard only good things. Also, i'm a fan of Jack Black in general. So yeah, i'll check it out.

I missed Psychonauts when it came out and picked it up maybe a year ago ... the game itself is a pretty standard third-person platformer, but the writing and characterization (Tim Schafer's strong suits) are stunningly hilarious and fun. The only other Schafer game I've played is Grim Fandango, which also is widely known for its dialogue; I'm inclined to project forward from those two data points and say that Brütal Legend will have me laughing the entire way through.

Lunker on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Aumni wrote: »

Quick.

Nooooooooo there are no email address on their website! I can't be bothered to register for their forums :P

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Airan wrote: »
    Aumni wrote: »

Quick.

Nooooooooo there are no email address on their website! I can't be bothered to register for their forums :P

Send them a letter with rock related doodles around the margins. That'll get their attention!

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Haikira wrote: »

I missed Psychonauts when it came out and picked it up maybe a year ago ... the game itself is a pretty standard third-person platformer, but the writing and characterization (Tim Schafer's strong suits) are stunningly hilarious and fun. The only other Schafer game I've played is Grim Fandango, which also is widely known for its dialogue; I'm inclined to project forward from those two data points and say that Brütal Legend will have me laughing the entire way through.

It's funny, I actually didn't like Psychonauts the game very much. I enjoyed getting new psychic powers and the puzzly-ness of some of the bosses, but at more than a couple of points it became a tedious collect-a-thon.

However, Psychonauts the hilarious comedy movie is amazing! The characters were endearing, and the dialogue was all delivered very well. Seriously, if somebody could turn that into a Pixar animated film and cut out all of the figment collection nonsense, I would buy three copies.

Edit:
    To be more on topic, I like everything about Tim Schaefer's games except the game parts. Yet, there's so much entertainment packed into each one, that I will be buying Brutal Legend no matter what.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Fiziks wrote: »
    Someone finally made a Heavy Metal game. Yes.

1112.jpeg

Brutal Legend is easily a homage to the movie. That load of crap was not.
    Case in point

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    guarguar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Great news and everything, but chances of me getting to play this are slim to nonexistent.

guar on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Okay, I had to bump this because I just saw pictures from the VGA Awards, where the teaser came from:

vga-halford-schafer-black.jpg

vga-black-fire.jpg

If that's not fucking metal, I don't know what is.

Lunker on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yes.

LewieP on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Also, I'm not sure if half of this info is still accurate (the trailer doesn't really jive with what they originally had planned for Brütal Legend), but this 2007 IGN interview from when the game was announced is awesome. If only for:
    IGN AU: Are you worried about the ESRB at all?

Tim Schafer:
    Oh I'm not worried about them at all. They're going to hate it. I mean, mostly we're just making it to our own personal tastes. I mean, I feel, personally, that you can't make a game with a broad axe in it and not have a decapitation. I feel almost like, that would be a bug. Technically speaking.
    Oh man, as if I wasn't gay enough for Tim Schaefer as it is. As long as they cut out that retarded "collectathon" that plagued Psychonauts this will be a day one purchase for me.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I was originally not really interested in this game. I was wrong.

Jack Black may get on my nerves, but what the hell. I think I can get over that to kill people with guitar lightning and ride sort of carnivorous fire-breathing lion-buffalo and drive a heavy-metal death-mobile. Plus, the VA work and writing looks like it might be good. Incredibly good.

Activision, what they hell were you thinking? Dropping this and Ghostbusters? Obviously you hate money. And awesome.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    guarguar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You're looking at this the wrong way. Forget Jack Black. Tim Schafer is making this.

Tim Schafer.

guar on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    guar wrote: »
    You're looking at this the wrong way. Forget Jack Black. Tim Schafer is making this.

Tim Schafer.

I like Jack Black and Tim Schaefer. What do I win?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Avril Lavigne doing Fuel is the worst thing in the history of anything ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqRsSOvQhkI

I am so excited for this game that it hurts.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tim Schafer is pure awesome. If you haven't read his blog on doublefine.com, you should.

He announced the new publisher by saying the old Brutal Legend press release had some minor spelling errors. Specifically, spelling EA as A-C-T-I-V-I-S-I-O-N.

Also, you should read about his recent quest to train his cat to poop in a robotic cat poop machine by purchasing a Big Mouth Billy Bass. I'm not kidding.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh god I am so happy about this. Psychonauts is one of my favorite games ever, I love rocking out, and I am part of the crowd who loves Jack Black.

This game is for me.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg