As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Brutal Legend: Buy it, it's awesome.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The sky will rain beer and fire.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Helloween wrote: »
    Faffel wrote: »
    Helloween wrote: »
    Holy fucking shit! How the hell did I miss this game?

I must now go and rock out.

Also...METAL:

judaspriestpainkillercowy6.jpg
    leprosy.jpg

\m/

A stong case sir. I present you with:
    helloweenthetimeoftheoaaa4.jpg

This game needs to emit a death scream when you turn it on. It HAS to.

Well sirs, I provide yet more inspiration!
    ldb0770.jpg

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh almost forgot about EA's responce to Activision:
    We doubt that Activision would try to sue. That would be like a husband abandoning his family and then suing after his wife meets a better looking guy.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Really, this lawsuit boils down to "Activision can't be arsed to put forth the effort to help finish develop/publish/market the thing, but they want to make money from it anyway."

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Activision is the new EA by taking the game rights from EA? There are at least two levels of irony here.

Also, a special message from Lemmy and Tim:
    lemmy_and_me.jpg

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    IGN's got a new update on this with loads of nice details. They call it a "heavy metal Fable."
    The Separator is your primary means for dealing hand-to-hand damage, but Eddie can also quickly switch to Clementine for mystical damage. In the "real world" Clementine is just a normal guitar, but in the world of Brutal Legend playing chords is like casting spells. There are simple implementations of this, such as tapping a button to fire an electrical charge at enemies or holding down a button for a pyrotechnic assault that launches enemies in the air or hitting the axe and guitar buttons at the same time for the Earthshaker, a power chord that knocks down parts of the environment.

There are also guitar solos you can learn to cast more significant spells. Double Fine didn't want to show off the implementation of this (no, it doesn't use a guitar peripheral), but they did reveal the first solo you learn in the game. The Relic Raiser can be played whenever you spot "heavy metal vines." The vines react to the notes you play and rise up, revealing hidden artifacts.

In the first showing of the Relic Raiser, you uncover the various parts needed to create your own bad ass hot rod, known as The Deuce. Later on, you'll be able to explore the world and use the Relic Raiser to uncover new songs to play in the Deuce, other solos to play and even more goodies.

Apparently while you're riding in The Deuce, you can use the radio to play all kinds of metal, from classic to obscure.
    Ophelia is part of a resistance movement, determined to free the human populace from the evil Doviculus' rule. She's Eddie's first ally, one of some 12-15 that you'll assemble as you work your way across the world. With Ophelia fighting at your side, you can perform team-up moves which do extra damage (and have added flair). Each ally has a different way to team-up with Eddie, adding some strategy into whom you pick for certain missions.
    You'll also want to do some exploration in an effort to earn Lighter Tributes, which are basically lighters from the metal gods. These are earned from completing sidequests or doing a variety of seemingly heroic acts, like pulling off cool jumps in the Deuce.

You can then take your Lighter Tributes to the Motorforge, where you can upgrade the Deuce, Clementine and the Separator. Schafer promised you'd meet a "special person" who would provide the upgrades. I'm guessing this would be Lemmy of Motorhead, as Schafer confirmed he provided VO for Brutal Legend.
    The rock quarry is the work of General Lionwhyte, who betrayed humanity and was put in charge of the subjugated humans by Doviculus. You'll see a lot of Lionwhyte across the landscape. Like in the ominous Mr. Rockmore in the distance, which features four faces--all of them Gen. Lionwhyte's.

The scene at the rock quarry is quite horrific. Hundreds of able-bodied men are banging their heads against the walls. That's because Lionwhyte didn't give them any tools. Lars, proving why he's not the star of Brutal Legend, asks Eddie: "What do you do with a bunch of kids who only know how to bang their heads?"

"You start a revolution," Eddie replies.

And then a choice appears on the screen."Start Revolution Now or Later?" This is how you accept your first mission.

The slaves in the rock quarry aren't chained up or driven by the whip. They just don't know what else to do but submit, bang their heads, and mine rocks. They mindlessly chant, "Rock of Ages" as an orchestral version of Def Leppard's song plays in the background. Statues honoring Lionwhyte can be found all over the mines. Each sings a motivational statement. Lionwhyte is voiced by Judas Priest's Rob Halford. If you don't know Judas Priest, let's just say that Halford is famed for his high-pitched vocals. "Punctualiiiiiiity!!!!" One totem sings out. Another screams, "Teeeeamwooooork!!"

And who will oppose you in the mines? Why, hair metal fans, of course. You'll also be commanding troops, and it's said battles will get as big as 40 vs. 40.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/969/969334p1.html

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    And who will oppose you in the mines? Why, hair metal fans, of course. You'll also be commanding troops, and it's said battles will get as big as 40 vs. 40.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/969/969334p1.html

Whoa, 40 vs. 40? That's news to me. I thought it was going to be more like "generic platformer with metal motif".

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ah, nope. It's more like a hack n' slash open-world strategy music game of utter awesomeness.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This is shaping up to be everything I ever hoped for and more.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man I had been sorta intrigued by this game when it was on the cover of Game Informer sometime last year, but when I'd heard it got drop-kicked after the Activition-Blizzard merger, I couldn't bring myself to be all that disappointed. I mean, the concept is pretty out there.

I read that IGN profile this morning though, and it was the first I'd heard that EA had picked up the game. The more I read about this game, the harder it is to be sceptical, it sounds so metal. I came to Penny Arcade and sure enough, everyone's already way ahead of me. :D

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    Lionhart617Lionhart617 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jack Black being in it completely killed it for me.

Lionhart617 on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    By "heavy metal Fable", they'd better mean interesting artistic design choices and not a buggy game with a stupid (as in actually stupid, not just stupid to those without a sense of humor or ability to suspend disbelief) story and truly asinine design choices and shortcuts.

Because this game is looking to be so metal that I honestly wish I was more familiar with heavy metal so as to fully appreciate the hinted in-jokes. I had no idea how awesomely big the overworld was going to be, which is nice. Even if there isn't a whole lot to do in it, at least you have an awesome, metal-summoned, fire-spewing deathride to tool around in.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Also, I want his fucking car.

It is so badass. Also his guitar.

...and maybe his axe...

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

This does make me kinda wary as well. Not that I don't like some of Jack Black's work, it's just...

Well, when I see pics of the main character, I just can not picture that badass dude with Jack Black's voice.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    How? He basically looks like Jack Black if he lost some weight and got buff.

It's also worth mentioning that I am in love with Jack Black, so the fact that he is the main VA goes on my bullet-point list of awesome things in this.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Jack Black is pretty much THE definition of over-the-top metal, so he's perfect for this role.

Anyone who says otherwise hasn't heard much of Tenacious D.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    he is seriously perfect for the role.

i hope he sings.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    he is seriously perfect for the role.

i hope he sings.

I will be honestly suprised that there isn't a part where you become some 20 story tall metal monster to rape and pillage while

The Metal

...is playing.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Yeah, I don't think Tenacious D is appropriate for fun-ectomy patients.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    New sexy pics up at gamersyde;

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_7681_en.html

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Foefaller wrote: »
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/blogs/sidebar/909182374/26779993/report-activision-ea-feuding-over-brutal-legend.html

Looks like Activision figured out how much they screwed up not publishing Brutal Legend...

Also, if that is not irony, I don't know what the fuck is...

Wow, I'm so late on this. This is comedy gold. I wonder why gabe and tycho haven't covered this one.

He is kind of the right choice if your going to do a game about metal and being crazy and insane at the same time. All the other metal guys are too old at this point or don't really care.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Death_ClawDeath_Claw Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just need to post this here since it was one of the best flash based waste of time thingy I found in a long time.

Tim Schafer hosted the GDC awards this year again and so they made a game in the likes of the old Lucas Arts games, and it is awesome.

Host Master and the Conquest of Humor

Death_Claw on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Short and cool, like Gary Coleman...if he were cool.

Hey, this aint Candyman!

I could only find 10 out off 22! What the hell am I supposed to do with this ancient artifact?!

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Glad to hear it's in financially good hands.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Death_Claw wrote: »
    I just need to post this here since it was one of the best flash based waste of time thingy I found in a long time.

Tim Schafer hosted the GDC awards this year again and so they made a game in the likes of the old Lucas Arts games, and it is awesome.

Host Master and the Conquest of Humor

Make sure to "Pick up..." on Tim.

EDIT: Holy shit I decided to end the game with 6 jokes. I do not believe the total number they gave could be accurate.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I couldn't figure out how to expose the chicken artifact to sunlight. Hrm...

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I can't wait for this game. It's going to be incredible.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I found 11 jokes.

I was pretty proud until they said it was out of 22. :(

tofu on
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There is an item you find that has like 10 jokes on it. They all count toward the total so keep that in mind.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This game seems like it was made for me.
    Heavy metal: Check
    Hot rods: Check
    Hot chicks: Check

I can't wait :D

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I found the book with 5 jokes in it.

I couldn't figure out what to do with the rubber chicken though.

tofu on
  • Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    I found the book with 5 jokes in it.

I couldn't figure out what to do with the rubber chicken though.
    turn off the light, then press it's eye

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I turned off the light and hit "look at" but it didn't do anything!

Graaaah, this really is like the old games!

tofu on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    I turned off the light and hit "look at" but it didn't do anything!

Graaaah, this really is like the old games!
    While looking at it, assuming you put both parts together, click on the eye

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Metal?

Metal.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh god.

Is that from the second season?

I totally forgot that there is a second season.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That's the second to last episode in Season 2. It's out on DVD and Brendon Small is now working on Season 3, and the second Dethklok album.

My favorite episodes in this season are when Nathan becomes the governor of Florida, because that's where I live and they portray Florida as the redneck shit hole that it is.

Then there's when Pickles brother get's his arm twisted into attending his criminal brother's wedding and Pickles loses his mind, clawing at a chain fence trying to escape while his bandmates laugh. :D

Nathan delivers the most perfect line to Pickles.
    I know Pickles, I know! But you can't leave. Not yet.... It's just too funny!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The third season is already being planned?

Goddamn I have some catching up to do.

The first season was some of the greatest stuff I have ever watched.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    Metal?
    This totally needs the bit with Toki that comes right after that, but the only clip of that scene I could find is kind of shitty.

Audio Engineers Go Nutshit.

And why hasn't the thread title been updated to include the word nutshit? I'm disappointed in whoever is responsible and also everyone else.

Monger on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wait, the same Brendon Small that did Home Movies? Why didn't anybody tell me this when they recommended Metalocalypse? I'm all over this now.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]