As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The House of Commons - Brit Politics

APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Or can we solve anything by shouting and jeering at each other?

I'm quite a firm follower of politics here in the UK - more than the average citizen, I should imagine. I take the time to watch Prime Ministers Questions every week on BBC Parliament rather than picking up the best bits from newspapers and such, and I read a lot of political commentary too.

For anybody not from the UK, Prime Ministers Questions is a half an hour segment every Wednesday where MPs - members of parliament - can question the Prime Minister in the house of commons. The questions are pre-selected by the speaker of the house, but the PM isn't aware of what the questions coming at him will be. In addition to MPs, the leaders of the two biggest opposing parties from the last election (always the same two, mind) get questions - the larger party gets 6, and the smaller gets 2.

It's worth noting there's smaller sections too in the same day for questioning individual ministers onmatters they control. It's somewhat like having one of the US presidential debates every single week... and interestingly, for US people, John McCain had pledged to set up a US question time equivalent if he got elected.

The advantage of PMQs is that you can direct questions to your MP and your MP can attempt to get it asked in Question Time, direct to the Prime Minister. Indeed, often Question Time is taken up with small questions like "there isn't enough public transport in city x", and by bringing it direct to the PM's attention, things tend to happen.

Part of the reason I enjoy watching PMQs is because of the reactions. There's a wonderfully cruel, cold and rather British attitude in the house where people aren't afraid to call each other out in no uncertain terms and it means you get to see your leaders at their best and worst. While some political systems mean you only see politicans at their most prepared and best, in PMQs you can often see all the party leaders at their worst, too, unprepared, week-in, week-out.

However some people don't like PMQs. They feel the yobbish attitude in the house with lots of jeering, paper jiggling and whatnot (as parodied in Ali G the movie) sets a bad example, and the vision of all our leaders laughing, jeering and cheering at each other is one of the contributing factors to things like football hooliganism and gang violence because indeed in the house the three parties do look and act like three gangs.

What prompted me to create this thread was this: This week in PMQs Gordon Brown got annihilated for a slip of the tongue. Instead of saying "We not only saved the world's banking system," he said "We not only saved the world..." You have to watch this, because it's pretty funny:

Brown's Epic Slip Up
BBC Story here.

The response was epic, even by commons standards. Every major news agency picked up on it, and the man got picked apart for what was basically a slip of the tongue. While I think PMQs is great for weeding out the people without the brains or the backbone to lead (can you imagine Bush withstanding an onslaught like that?) I think sometimes.. it goes too far and becomes really just unsettling and childish. Sometimes, it perhaps even hinders our political process.

So... Discuss. Because I'm totally unsure.

APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
APZonerunner on

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I watched that clip last night on either Olbermann or Maddow on MSNBC.

I personally think it's a fantastic idea, and I would kinda like to see something like that over here in the States. It helps keep the leader humble. I mean, what else could possibly be more humbling than having your peers point and laugh at you while on television for the whole nation (and now internet) to see?

Makes you think twice about doing something stupid or saying something you might later come to regret.

That said, the jeering might be a bit much in that particular clip, but at least there are some grown adults having a good time, right?

lonelyahava on
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think the whole thing comes across as a ridiculous pantomime

Mr Bubbles on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    For a moment I wondered if it was a Monty Python skit.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Willy-Bob GracchusWilly-Bob Gracchus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's government by gotcha. It originated in a time where there was a degree of genuine debate and oratory, and it's descended into self-caricture. We have the same deal in Ireland, but without anything like the wit or eloquence.

The whole fused legislature-executive thing is a fucking bust, imo.

Willy-Bob Gracchus on
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like it.
    It is better for the people to think to little of their leaders than to think too much of them. The UK is lucky that they have the former problem.

Picardathon on
  • DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, it's always funny even if it is childish.

It doesn't replace real debate, but y'know.

Duki on
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It is worth noting that it isn't all like that. A great deal of real, solid debating goes on in the house and during PMQs, and even though exchanges between party leaders are always full of cheap shots and sarcastic comments they dig deep into each other and pull out a lot of information that would otherwise never appear.

It does away with 'talking point politics' and makes them speak like humans, which is nice. But on the other hand the jeering and such - sometimes it goes so far that I wonder if it should be allowed at all.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd say that PMQ is possibly the highlight of world politics in terms of quality of debate and content. A period every week set aside for any member to challenge policy and ask probing questions of the government? Sounds like a good idea, and is a good idea.

True its not as great as it could be thanks to the jeering, but thats just the way we operate in the UK. Does any other country have something similar I wonder? Perhaps the UK derived democracies.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • WaldoWaldo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Maybe this did evolve from some tradition of witty parliamentary debates, but that's ridiculous. But highly entertaining, beats the hell out of anything on C-SPAN. Sadly, having that in the USA wouldn't make much sense, seeing as how the speaker of the house/senate majority leader is picked by the party and has little more power than any other legislator.

Anyone remember that SNL sketch with PMQ, where Will Ferrell keeps asking "Whab about Oasis?"

Waldo on
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    when I was younger I had a drinking problem

now I just have drinking solutions
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/weeman3
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    APZ has it about right: the parliamentary produces real debate and infantile hooting.

Bogart on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've been to the equivalent in NZ a few times and while it does occasionally make one groan I generally like it and think it useful. Besides, if I must be ruled by a bunch of jerks I'd rather they be skilled sophists

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The New Zealand one sometimes does useful things, but usually makes them look like a bunch of kids in a playground.

Except when that guy that looks like an imp pulled the fingers at someone.

L|ama on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Bogart wrote: »
    APZ has it about right: the parliamentary produces real debate and infantile hooting.

I really wish they'd stop all the jeering. I mean the debates can be pretty good and they make our politicians thinks a bit, but seriously, the jeering is ridiculous.

BobCesca on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What I want for Christmas is to see George W Bush give a speech in a room with those people

override367 on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't mind the jeering. In the video above, it stems from the fact that the Conservatives have been making a lot of noise about Brown being more concerned with appearing as the world's financial messiah rather than protecting British interests. That's a legitimate concern, even if it's espoused in combatitive terms.

So, for Brown to slip up and talk about saving the world is funny as hell.

I'd honestly rather keep the jeering, because it makes it impossible (or at least difficult) for politicians to stand up and make meaningless noises instead of answering questions, which seems to be a consistent problem in US politics (I'm not basing this on anything concrete, it's just a vague impression that I have). The jeering allows opposition to call out people who have talked themselves into a corner, or been caught in a lie, and I think that serves a useful purpose.

japan on
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Does any other country have something similar I wonder? Perhaps the UK derived democracies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Question_time

Mostly commonwealth countries, but Japan has one too, bizzarely

Mr Bubbles on
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Prime Minister's Questions and Question Time are Britain's gift to the world. Politics and politicians should be accessable, honest and open to scrutiny... and mockery.

The jeering is fantastic; it's not only consistently entertaining, it also keeps the lies and bullshitting at a tolerable level. Though the attached video does not show this, when the opposition starts to get rowdy the truth tends to come out, free of spin and easily understood by dumb proles like myself.

Mumblyfish on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Question: How accurate is my impression that Britain effectively no longer has a bicameral legislature due to the waning influence of the House of Lords?

Neaden on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    They should have slapped the shit out of everyone in the room.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    The jeering is fantastic; it's not only consistently entertaining, it also keeps the lies and bullshitting at a tolerable level. Though the attached video does not show this, when the opposition starts to get rowdy the truth tends to come out, free of spin and easily understood by dumb proles like myself.

Aridhol on
    edited December 2008
    Neaden wrote: »
    Question: How accurate is my impression that Britain effectively no longer has a bicameral legislature due to the waning influence of the House of Lords?

Blair has managed to pretty much completely neuter the House of Lords.

It can delay, or send back legislation to the Commons, but the Commons can now override that if it so chooses. The argument is basically that the Lords are unelected, so the Commons more accurately represents the will of the people, but personally I think that we could really use a second house with more teeth.

japan on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The problem is, that given the way in which the laws have been changed, even if we did start to get a higher proportion of the House of Lords as elected, the government still wouldn't have to listen to them unless they got rid of the law, which no government is likely to do.

I find it extremely annoying, but there is really very little can be done. There are few politicians and political parties who would willingly get rid of a law which ensures that they can get the bills they wish to pass into law.

BobCesca on
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like the Westminster system for that reason. Question Period here in Canada can be very interesting sometimes. And the jeering is always amusing.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You act like Gordon Brown hasn't already helped saved the world.

article-0-0174B26A00000578-866_468x749.jpg

article-0-0174B26D00000578-780_468x740.jpg

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    japan wrote: »

It can delay, or send back legislation to the Commons, but the Commons can now override that if it so chooses. The argument is basically that the Lords are unelected, so the Commons more accurately represents the will of the people, but personally I think that we could really use a second house with more teeth.

Unfortunately at the moment the teeth are growing back into the skulls of the owners due to decades on inbreeding.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Unfortunately at the moment the teeth are growing back into the skulls of the owners due to centuries and centuries on inbreeding.

fixed.

Picardathon on
  • FendallFendall Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I agree. The Lords are pretty ineffectual now. They been castrated before any alternative has been put in place to take over the role they play.

Personally I see the Lords as being grumpy old men afraid of change, but we need that to counter the plays of MPs who can't see further than the next election. An example being ID cards, which the Lords hate. Compulsory ID is generally a big nono but happens to have support for the moment. We need a bunch of senile old men telling us not to be so reactionary.

If you take the view that politics is the battle between progressive change and traditional conservatism, the balance has shifted to far towards the Commons for my likeing, and I'm not even conservative.

Fendall on
    edited December 2008
    Fendall wrote: »
    Personally I see the Lords as being grumpy old men afraid of change, but we need that to counter the plays of MPs who can't see further than the next election. An example being ID cards, which the Lords hate. Compulsory ID is generally a big nono but happens to have support for the moment. We need a bunch of senile old men telling us not to be so reactionary.

If you take the view that politics is the battle between progressive change and traditional conservatism, the balance has shifted to far towards the Commons for my likeing, and I'm not even conservative.

I'd agree with this. I remember that when the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act was being debated -for those unfamiliar with it, this is the wikipedia summary:
    The RIPA allows the government to access a person's electronic communications. The Act:
    enables the government to demand that an ISP provides access to a customer's communications in secret;
    enables mass surveillance of communications in transit;
    enables the government to demand ISPs fit equipment to facilitate surveillance;
    enables the government to demand that someone hands over keys to protected information;
    allows the government to monitor people's internet activities;
    prevents the existence of interception warrants and any data collected with them from being revealed in court.

-it was the Lords in which there was actually some debate of substance on the matter. In the commons anyone who voiced concerns was basically shouted down with "You're not on the side of the paedophiles and the terrorists are you?".

I think that the neutering of the Lords is one of the most significant factors in how much Orwellian crap Blunkett and now Jacqui Smith have managed to get passed.

japan on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Lords are being reformed, albeit slowly. I think currently there are only slightly under 100 hereditary Lords, down from a much higher number pre 1997 (or so, I forget the exact year), with the rest being appointed as Life Peers. Which is still not ideal in my mind, but it is an improvement. I have no idea when the next stage of reform will occur, or what form it will take, but hopefully it will be more democratic than the current system. How exactly this would be done I think is still to be decided, but the government has had an ongoing consultation project, some of the results are linked here.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!