As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mo Money Mo Problems

sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I had a job interview today as a 3d animator for a marketing / advertising company. They want a part time freelancer to help with a prototype of a large scale 3d project. Turns out they like my stuff, and my experience with the company I'm working for right now is perfect.

The issue is pay. Currently I'm an intern at some other company, doing way more than my share of the 3d workload. I've been interning there since September, and starting January they agreed to start paying me-- but the amount is not decided yet, as they have to hold a meeting with their investors and such (it's a relatively new venture-backed startup). So.. I don't know how much they'd be offering me.

When I mentioned that I was to start getting paid in January, the guy I was interviewing with immediately said "Oh, we'll beat them." I don't have any doubt that his company has plenty more money, as they've been around for much longer and have had big big clients. However, how much I ask for will be a major consideration in deciding whether or not I am hired-- he told me that there were other applicants far more experienced than I am (I'm still a student actually) BUT they are apparently asking for lots/too much.

So to play this situation right, I need to ask for the right amount of money. What's a good way to decide on that?

I am:
2nd semester senior full time student (graduating May 2009)
Unable to make a commitment to work for anyone after graduation yet
Working 3 full days/week technically as contracted freelance

Info about them:
Seems like their current 3d team is actually only 1 3d guy and 1 engineer.
They need animation, but definitely want someone adept in other disciplines to help out

I'm not exactly asking for a number, but what other things should I find out about that would drive my price up or down?

http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
sabyul on

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Use salary.com to find out what the median salary is for somebody with your skills in the position you're applying for.

Take that number, divide it by (52*40) to find out how much you'd be worth hourly. That should give you a ballpark.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There is a website called glassdoor.com that lets you see what the average salary is for a certain position at a certain company. The catch is you have to tell them what you make, which might not help you. Also, you're relying on people from that company reporting their own salaries. In a big company that's no problem, but I dont know how big these companies are.

Smurph on
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    IS it unreasonable to ask company B to wait until after company A makes you an offer?

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It isn't. However, I do know that these other guys gunning for the same spot are coming in on Tuesday, which gives me more than a little motivation to put my offer on the table.

I've talked to a lot of people since. One of my professors at school does a lot of 3d freelancing, and he gave me some great information.

Now, when negotiating monies, how do you guys suggest going about it? Let HR say their figure first, or be forward about how much I want, or what?

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Generally, you should let them make an offer first. However, if they insist on getting some kind of a number from you, give them a range of wages that you'd be interested in (i.e. "I'm looking in the range of $15-$25/hour" or whatever your range is). Keep in mind though that this will probably lead to an offer at the lower end of your range, so make sure your lower limit really is your lower limit.

See if you can get "company A" to hurry up with their offer so you have a reference point for your offer from "company B". If one is higher than the other, but the company with the lower offer is more desirable, it's not unreasonable to ask them to match the higher offer. They still might not match it, but at least you tried :P

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Options
    b0bd0db0bd0d Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    sabyul wrote: »
    It isn't. However, I do know that these other guys gunning for the same spot are coming in on Tuesday, which gives me more than a little motivation to put my offer on the table.

I've talked to a lot of people since. One of my professors at school does a lot of 3d freelancing, and he gave me some great information.

Now, when negotiating monies, how do you guys suggest going about it? Let HR say their figure first, or be forward about how much I want, or what?

I read some tips about this exact thing in a career book. Apparently, you can apply math to this whole thing. Interesting.

http://randommanager.blogspot.com/2008/06/negotiating-salary.htm
    lhttp://www.romanadvice.com/2008/03/16/applying-game-theory-to-negotiation-can-you-can-you-want-a-raise/

b0bd0d on