As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm starting to get really fucking angry (9/11 Truthers).

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I had an instructor who informed me that 9/11 was staged and you can tell because the anti-air guns on "every roof in washington" would have shot down the plane that hit the pentagon

this is in addition to the "auto industry purposefully builds cars to fail" and "the transportation department doesn't build permanent roads that don't need repair because then they'd run out of money and I know the technology exists because people have really nice driveways"

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2008
    he actually got backup from people in the class and I'm pretty sure I started laughing but I hid it as a cough

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    Probably severely depressed, Pony.

This is what I am thinking, yes.

I mean, I try to see it from their end. I try to consider the possibility that the greatest conspiracy in the history of government conspiracies was committed, that evil secret societies like the Bilderberg Group are trying to take over the world, and all I can think of is how I would mouth a Glock 9mm as soon as possible.

How does a person fight that level of cognitive dissonance and personal failure? Dang, that'd be depressing.
    I think you're looking at it all wrong. It's probably empowering to them to imaging that they're one of the few people that are smart enough to see the "truth" for what it is. It's a twist on the childhood fantasy that one is actually someone very important (like a prince) secreted away as a child to hide them from enemies.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I had an instructor who informed me that 9/11 was staged and you can tell because the anti-air guns on "every roof in washington" would have shot down the plane that hit the pentagon

this is in addition to the "auto industry purposefully builds cars to fail" and "the transportation department doesn't build permanent roads that don't need repair because then they'd run out of money and I know the technology exists because people have really nice driveways"

I avoid talking to people like that.

They... they hurt my brain to talk to.

It causes frustration because I feel an urge to correct them but I also know how futile those attempts will be.

Pony on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    planned obsolescence isn't that silly though

i would posit that it is not silly at all

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    BusterK wrote: »
    ok guys, I take back everything I said earlier
    break out the hammers
    it's time to get cathartic on LightRider's ass

Not so easy when their actually present and annoying you is it?
    or I'm joking
    yeah, he's a retard but he doesn't really bother me
    he's just fun to poke

Oh, come down to earth and admit he's annoying
    Not like, questioning your beliefs annoying
    More annoying like a smelly fart
    It's like he's farting on your common sense

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nice driveways, eh?

What's that you say? Your driveway doesn't see near the amount of traffic as a road does?

Huh.

That's false.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited December 2008

wow
    what does he teach?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Koshian wrote: »
    I wonder how the current state of the economy figures into the whole global lizard-jew banker conspiracy theory

is bankrupting themselves all part of the plan

Oh they go inside the earth when things go bad, it's like how the nazis do the same when climate change rolls around.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Koshian wrote: »
    I wonder how the current state of the economy figures into the whole global lizard-jew banker conspiracy theory

is bankrupting themselves all part of the plan

no man it shows we are winning the good fight man please leave a comment on my blog

oh jesus christ

Pony on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    ok guys, I take back everything I said earlier
    break out the hammers
    it's time to get cathartic on LightRider's ass

Not so easy when their actually present and annoying you is it?
    or I'm joking
    yeah, he's a retard but he doesn't really bother me
    he's just fun to poke

Oh, come down to earth and admit he's annoying
    Not like, questioning your beliefs annoying
    More annoying like a smelly fart
    It's like he's farting on your common sense
    oh goddammit I hate it when my common sense smells like farts!

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    he actually got backup from people in the class and I'm pretty sure I started laughing but I hid it as a cough

My cousin has his own theory of 9/11.

"Okay ya, you see that helicopter, okay, it's in the cloud of black smoke, an-THERE! See that flame?"

"What flame, it was a glare of light."

"No it's the flame from the RPGs that they used. The plane was supposed to make it crash but it didn't so they sent the helicopter to do more damage in the breach until it collap- SEE THERE IT IS AGAIN! Now you know it's true."

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

wow
    what does he teach?

digital electronics

he knows a lot about those and when he's talking about that, it's like "okay this is cool I am learning"

but then he follows it up with "seriously driveways never crack or anything! why don't they use this on the interstate???"

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

wow
    what does he teach?

digital electronics

he knows a lot about those and when he's talking about that, it's like "okay this is cool I am learning"

but then he follows it up with "seriously driveways never crack or anything! why don't they use this on the interstate???"
    man I've seen plenty of badly cracked driveways

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Probably severely depressed, Pony.

This is what I am thinking, yes.

I mean, I try to see it from their end. I try to consider the possibility that the greatest conspiracy in the history of government conspiracies was committed, that evil secret societies like the Bilderberg Group are trying to take over the world, and all I can think of is how I would mouth a Glock 9mm as soon as possible.

How does a person fight that level of cognitive dissonance and personal failure? Dang, that'd be depressing.
    I think you're looking at it all wrong. It's probably empowering to them to imaging that they're one of the few people that are smart enough to see the "truth" for what it is. It's a twist on the childhood fantasy that one is actually someone very important (like a prince) secreted away as a child to hide them from enemies.

interesting

so you are suggesting these people are just emotionally and psychologically stunted in some way?

i can accept that

never really saw it like that before, thanks dru!

Pony on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Has anyone tried saying that driveways get nowhere near the amount of traffic that roads do?

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Nice driveways, eh?

What's that you say? Your driveway doesn't see near the amount of traffic as a road does?

Huh.

That's false.

Hey man, back off alright?

He's a college professor, not a driving instructor.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

wow
    what does he teach?

digital electronics

man I've seen plenty of badly cracked driveways

well man I know that but the less I argued with him about this stuff the earlier I got to leave

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    don't forget mental illness, pony

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

My cousin has his own theory of 9/11.

"Okay ya, you see that helicopter, okay, it's in the cloud of black smoke, an-THERE! See that flame?"

"What flame, it was a glare of light."

"No it's the flame from the RPGs that they used. The plane was supposed to make it crash but it didn't so they sent the helicopter to do more damage in the breach until it collap- SEE THERE IT IS AGAIN! Now you know it's true."

aaaaaaartugghhhh

aaarcchcha

this is like moon landing disbelievers who try to point out how fake the moon landing is by watching slow motion videos from film that is decades old

Pony on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Yeah but there's the perfectly reasonable way of looking at it from a cost/benefit analysis standpoint
    And then there's secret cover-ups of engines that run on water and all that jazz

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You guys know what the best conspiracy theories are?

Right wing conspiracy theories. Like how 9/11 was plotted by angry gays.

Or how 9/11 was punishment for tolerating gays. Pretty much they blame it all on gays.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Yeah but there's the perfectly reasonable way of looking at it from a cost/benefit analysis standpoint
    And then there's secret cover-ups of engines that run on water and all that jazz

oh, yeah, good point

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    LightRider wrote: »
    I didn't write something stupid and full of fail. Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?

Here then: olol BEAT THEM WITH AIRPLANE HAMMERS!!! LOLZ

Let me ask you a serious question, to which I expect a serious answer:

How do you get up in the morning, believing what you believe?

How do you get up, look yourself in the mirror, and go about your day living in a world where the United States government killed hundreds of people just to make up a ridiculous excuse to engage in wars it has yet to actually profit from?

This is the world you believe you live in. You believe that what would have to be, logistically, the greatest conspiracy ever committed by any government against its own citizens needs to be exposed, despite the fact that any group or organization with the ability to pull a con-job like this would have people like you and Alex Jones black-bagged and Gitmo'd at the snap of a finger.

How do you live with that kind of self-deception and cognitive dissonance? It's both fascinating and troubling to see the pervasiveness of this sort of thinking, regardless of the facts involved.

I mean, what compels you to live in a world where you believe this is the truth, and that websites are actually the way you will fight against these perceived villains?

I'm not trying to argue with what you believe are facts. What I am trying to understand is how you live with yourself and go about your daily life when you are living under the New World Order's thumb?
    In all honesty, I avoid mirrors as much as possible.

It is difficult to live with the information I have learned, being that it conflicts with everything I was taught as a child. Every day becomes harder to continue on in this world, and the solace of death grows more tempting every day. I can't say that I'm depressed though. But there are fewer and fewer things that motivate me to get up and do "normal" things.

I must disagree with some of your premises though. The point of the attacks were not simply to invade a middle eastern country, but to serve several overlapping goals. The first and foremost is to heighten a sense of fear from a percieved external and internal threat. This allows the government to do many other things it couldn't do normally. The perpetual state of war is another, and I'm certain that the nation will continue to see terrorists everywhere we look and invade anywhere we see fit.

Also, this is not tied to any one person or administration or goverment, this is a global effort by people who are private and not highlighted by the media. Bush didn't plan these attacks, but his administration is certainly a useful tool for the people pulling the strings.

To answer your other question, esp. the highly visible media people, are not being disappeared because it is not advantageous to do so. They are seen as wackos and misfits, and the normal people dismiss them as such. Also, if they were disappeared, it would lend credence to their claims.

Finally, as long as I am alive, the least I can do is try to inform my family and friends about these issues. Frankly it is hard to do so because of the associated stigma of being considered a conspiracy theorist, but I try to get over that by thinking not of myself but of them. These are the people I love and I want them to be informed and ready.

LightRider on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    also a good portion of the rest of the instructors believe that barack obama is actually a secret muslim from another country

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    don't forget mental illness, pony

yeah, there's always that

but you know what, i think for the majority of 9/11 truthers, moon landing deniers, and other conspiracy theorists it's simply like dru said

a defense mechanism of the psychologically stunted and powerless who feel a world they can't understand is happening around them.

you know what it reminds me of?

the idea that the most vocal anarchists you will ever meet are usually the people least capable of surviving or prospering in a state of anarchy.

it's a defense mechanism of the powerless and ignorant to feel less powerless and ignorant.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    okay that last lightrider post has almost convinced me that he's not real

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My current conspiracy theory: There is a hole in my beer that is causing it to disappear and I am not quite sure where it went because I don't remember drinking it.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    also a good portion of the rest of the instructors believe that barack obama is actually a secret muslim from another country

But did they vote for him?

(In all seriousness, I know of a real hardcore racist who voted for obama.)

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You're batshit crazy, LightRider. I just thought I'd tell you that.

Christ, if there's some kind of shadow conspiracy behind the scenes, do you think you, of all people, would be the one to catch them out?

I guarantee you that if there's some sort of organization with the resources to pull off something like 9/11 you'd either A) never even think of them or B) they'd have killed everyone who came close to figuring out what happened.

Even if there -was- a 9/11 conspiracy (and I think that's a pretty ridiculous premise), I pretty much guarantee it's not anything like what people suggest it is.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    anarchists make me laugh

my friend's boyfriend is an anarchist

i asked her, 'do they have meetings'

she said yes, and didn't understand why i found it so funny

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    see, look at lightrider go

is he a schizoprenic? don't think so

seems to me like he's just a sad little man who can't understand the world around him and feels the need to framework that feeling of powerlessness in a way that he can put his hands around and say "I've got you!"

Pony on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    anarchists make me laugh

ahahahahaha

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008

most of them didn't vote at all, because they also hate john mccain for not being conservative

seriously I'm like at a bizarro version of berkley

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hahahaha, orik that's some good shit.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    anarchists make me laugh

it's like the apathetic party from futurama

Pony on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

most of them didn't vote at all, because they also hate john mccain for not being conservative

seriously I'm like at a bizarro version of berkley

Who's Berkley?

Ba dum pssh!

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    anarchists make me laugh

now I need to watch stranger than fiction, thanks orik

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Anarchy is so stupid

I mean, I thought it sounded cool when I was in high school

and then I realized I'd probably die fast in an anarchist state

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    God, his post makes me feel bad for him more than anything else
    The bad grammar, the paranoia, the thoughts of suicide
    That's definately mental illness
    This game has become no fun

BusterK on
This discussion has been closed.