As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LET'S PLAY...soon] Iji: An indie RPG sidescroller (NSF56K!)

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
iji_screen4.gif
iji_screen1.gif

Iji!

A description from the creator's website that I just linked to:

Iji is an action-packed strategic platform shooter with a detailed story, large levels with multiple paths, powerful bosses and lots of secrets. There are alternate gameplay events, dialogues and scenes depending on what you do, a wealth of extras and bonus features, and seven stats to upgrade through a leveling system. Iji herself has superhuman strength and abilities, and can crack Nanotechnology, use her enemies' most devastating weapons against them, and be a pacifist or a killer which changes her mood and the fate of those around her. Soundtrack by Chris Geehan and Dan Byrne McCullhough, songs also by Tom Mauritzon and Captain Goodnight (and LifeForce, but their song was not originally recorded for Iji).

This game is pretty sweet. It's a little flawed in some ways which I'll save for mention in the Let's Play I plan on doing, but when fun is your measuring unit you'll need a tape measure (I just now made that up, how did I do?). It is basically a cross between a Metroidvania and Blackthorne with the graphic style of Out of This World.

The coolest part of the game is how your decisions have a noticeable effect. You can play through the game killing as few enemies as possible and if you accidentally are responsible for the death of an alien, Iji will say something along the lines of "I'm so sorry!" Play the game as an engine of death and destruction (which is my Let's Play plan) and she'll scream "DIE!" at her enemies.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's not possible to max out your character unless you are on the easiest difficulty.

Multiple narrative paths, multiple ways to complete the level, multiple ways to upgrade your nanotechnology. What more could you ask for?

This will soon become my second Let's Play ever. I'm creating this thread in advance so that those of you who desire to play along can sort of get acquainted with the game first. I plan on taking on the hardest difficulty, Ultimortal, with no prior experience at this level. Feel free to support me with words of encouragement or call me a complete dumbass, both are appropriate.

The Let's Play will begin as soon as I finish my Extreme playthrough (I'm on the final level right now).

Discuss!

joshofalltrades on

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This game crash on me like none other.

A shame, cause I remember the music being catchy.

Casually Hardcore on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh yes, I forgot to mention. The music is pretty amazing.

joshofalltrades on
  • DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Seven Four is my favorite song. It makes kicking a guy through a window into a rocket all the more badass.

DualEdge on
  • Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Edit: I need to pay more attention.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Edit: Quite all right, chum.

joshofalltrades on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is this game hard?

Will there be cursing involved?

Thetheroo on
  • FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Is this game hard?

There will be cursing. Things like "FUCK YEAH!" when you kick an enemy off a platform and down through a pile of boxes, then leap down and shoot him in the face and reflect a rocket at his friend, blowing another two enemies up.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Looks damn good. Shame that vsync doesn't work on modern cards, but at least the tearing is minimal.

Marty81 on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I can't stand the character designs.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Faffel wrote: »
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Is this game hard?

There will be cursing. Things like "FUCK YEAH!" when you kick an enemy off a platform and down through a pile of boxes, then leap down and shoot him in the face and reflect a rocket at his friend, blowing another two enemies up.

There will be no kicking done on Ultimortal. You're not even allowed to upgrade anything besides Health.

jothki on
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This game has some frustratingly hard-to-reach secret areas. <3

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
    edited December 2008
    Hm, now I'm not so sure I want to LP an Ultimortal run. Kinda boring watching me run past almost everything.

joshofalltrades on
  • PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sweet! I'd say go for a good mix of entertainment and difficulty.

Pemulis on
    edited December 2008
    Well, that'll be Extreme, then. Looks like it might start even sooner.

joshofalltrades on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I had a problem where I couldn't jump while running left, making it impossible for me to reach a certain ledge in Zone...2? Zone 2, I think
    Is this normal?

Rent on
    edited December 2008
    Absolutely not!

joshofalltrades on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man just yesterday I was thinking "we need another Out of This World" this should do :P

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I love this game. The maker should charge 5 or ten bucks for it, or put it on XBLA. Dude deserves it.

Clevinger on
    edited December 2008
    I downloaded it for a different computer than mine and it worked okay
    Weird :|
    Great game though

Rent on
    edited December 2008
    Clevinger wrote: »
    I love this game. The maker should charge 5 or ten bucks for it, or put it on XBLA. Dude deserves it.

Dude, yes. I would love achievements for this game. It would inspire me to actually play through as a pacifist. Every time I start a no-kill run I get trigger happy.

In other news, I will start recording this sometime this week. It's hard to be uninterrupted with a wife and two little kids around, so I'll kick them out at some point.

joshofalltrades on
    edited December 2008

Dude, yes. I would love achievements for this game. It would inspire me to actually play through as a pacifist. Every time I start a no-kill run I get trigger happy.

In other news, I will start recording this sometime this week. It's hard to be uninterrupted with a wife and two little kids around, so I'll kick them out at some point.
    You'll never be The Guy with that
    Er..
    Wrong thread :P

Rent on
    edited December 2008
    Good news, I just finished my Extreme run. I also started an Ultimortal run, but there's no way I'm doing a LP of that -- not because it's tough, because it's boring. There are no health powerups, no shield powerups (except those nanofields) and there's a time limit on every level, which means I'd have to run past every juicy story tidbit.

So, Extreme it is.

joshofalltrades on
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    with Extreme, do you get all the awesome things people have mentioned so far, e.g. "FUCK YEAH"-awesome?

Because that'd be awesome.

Senshi on
  • FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

He told one of my internet acquaintances that he doesn't believe it's worth paying for.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2008
    Sector 6 boss: You a bitch

Rent on
    edited December 2008
    Senshi wrote: »
    with Extreme, do you get all the awesome things people have mentioned so far, e.g. "FUCK YEAH"-awesome?

Because that'd be awesome.

Yep, only problem is it's kinda easy until Sector 7, when the difficulty curve rises sharply.

joshofalltrades on
  • CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You'd better start this soon so I can hear the game's music. It just won't play for me. I've done what the readme and website says (which isn't exactly helpful) but the music doesn't seem to feel like working for me.

Craigopogo on
    edited December 2008
    ASSFUCKMOTHERFUCKINGPIECEOFSHIT AAASSSSSSSSSS!!!

I would like to apologize for that little outburst, but Vista has decided all on its own that I don't need a Stereo Mix for recording. It's not hidden there, it's just gone.

So now I get to scour the internet hoping something can tell me why my Stereo Mix is gone out of the blue. This was my only time today to record, too.

Unnecessary Edit:

I'm reading all kinds of posts saying that Microsoft was worried people might be using their Stereo Mix to pirate music off of Myspace or whatever, so they disabled the functionality in newer drivers.

What a crock of genital wax! Is there anybody who knows a workaround?

joshofalltrades on
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    only microsoft would disable something because it "might be a pirating issue"

fuck microsoft.

that said, I think I'll enjoy watching you play iji more than I'll like playing it--gave it a download last night and promptly fell asleep playing it (not because it was boring, but I was really fucking tired). I didn't like how the controls worked.

Senshi on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ASSFUCKMOTHERFUCKINGPIECEOFSHIT AAASSSSSSSSSS!!!

I would like to apologize for that little outburst, but Vista has decided all on its own that I don't need a Stereo Mix for recording. It's not hidden there, it's just gone.

So now I get to scour the internet hoping something can tell me why my Stereo Mix is gone out of the blue. This was my only time today to record, too.

Unnecessary Edit:

I'm reading all kinds of posts saying that Microsoft was worried people might be using their Stereo Mix to pirate music off of Myspace or whatever, so they disabled the functionality in newer drivers.

What a crock of genital wax! Is there anybody who knows a workaround?

Use old drivers?

Zek on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    See now, this kind of crap is why I hate Vista and never want to have to use it.

That and the fact that at least two relatives' computers who have had it have gotten the same horrible virus and spyware problems, although that may have more to do with shitastic virus protection programs than anything. Although from trying to fix those problems and dealing with Vista, my hatred for it has thus grown a hundredfold.

Anyway. I've never actually heard about this game before and look forward to watching you play it. You know, if it ever let's you.

Schide on
    edited December 2008
    I can play the game just fine, the problem is that I can't record both the game and my mic simultaneously. Actually, I can't even record the game audio since that is part of the stereo mix. Another problem is that even though I can record with my mic, I can't hear it in my headphones as it's recording. It's a giant hairy ball of ass and it wouldn't be a big deal if they hadn't shut off the capability for a stereo mix!

Zek, thanks for your input. I actually tried locating older drivers but I don't even know what my onboard sound is -- all it says is "High Definition Audio Device". The driver is by Microsoft, which is probably more than a small part of the problem, but I do not know where else I would look. Any insight?

joshofalltrades on
    edited December 2008
    Can't you look up your motherboard to find what the onboard sound is? I'm assuming it's onboard.

edit:

You probably already tried this, but apparently it works for some people:
    Right click on the speaker icon in the tray.

Select "Recording Devices"

In the resulting dialog, make sure you have the "Recording" tab selected and in the middle of the empty area, right click and select "Show Disabled Devices".

Pemulis on
    edited December 2008
    You could also always do the "blast the game audio so your mic picks it up" thing. As a last resort I guess.

Edit:

One more possibility:

Some of the forums are saying something about a program called "Virtual Audio Cable", which apparently works in much the same way as this program (which claims to be free): http://applian.com/sound-recorder/

I have no idea how or if this will work, might be worth a shot though.

Good luck!

Pemulis on
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I needed to say this, but because of your mention of this game in the IWBTG post, I DLed and played it one weekend and it was awesome. I personally was driven by the plot, but it was damned fun too.

Kai_San on
  • KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yay new Josh let's play! wooo. totally gonna watch this one.

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you just want to listen to the music, you could just grab the files from the download, in the music folder. The boss music and credits music are fantastic.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ooh, Iji. Loved that game. Looking forward to watching this.

Lly on
    edited December 2008
    Well a potential solution has arisen, but I'm not sure how practical it is.

Some say that a simple cable extending from the Line Out jack to the Microphone jack should allow sound. I'm pretty sure I still wouldn't be able to monitor my mic volume.

Or, and here's an idea, why doesn't Vista just give me back the #$%@ing functionality I already had not 4 months ago?

joshofalltrades on
    edited December 2008
    All whining about my Stereo Mix functionality shall henceforth go here in order to restore actual talking about Iji in here.

So, right now my plan is to release the first part along with a little mini-review of the game. If I have time before Christmas, the second video will be a Xmas special.

I'm also independently playing a pacifist run on Ultimortal. Hooooly shit son. It's not easy.

Oh, and I unlocked a hidden costume when I finished my prior Extreme run. Any votes on whether I play with the standard "lab rat" costume or the hidden one?

joshofalltrades on