As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PHOTO] Bells! Batman Smells!

1252627282931»

• ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Six wrote: »
    So I've devoured Understanding Exposure and Ansel Adams' The Camera, as well as Scott Kelby's first book, which is really more of a "handy tips" guide. I imagine I'll be going back to all three of these books often, but I'm looking for more reading to do that has less to do with the technical side of photography and more with the art. I've already added "Learning to See Creatively" to my shopping cart, but does anyone have any other recommendations?

I recently picked up Kevin Meredith's Hot Shots and I was really impressed. It focuses more on the application of technical stuff to create interesting images. Plus it's fairly inexpensive and it's nice to support a little guy.

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Shots-Kevin-Meredith/dp/0811866408/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234927449&sr=8-2

you can get an idea of what the book is like here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lomokev/3267257810/

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    anable wrote: »
    This is another reason why I tell people things look like snapshots or look boring...because ignoring things you don't like does not end up helping that person. *glares at everyone else*

That doesn't mean helpful criticism has to be harsh. I've asked plenty of posters here what they were trying to tell me or why they chose a particular type of framing, dof, etc. Saying "this is boring" is just as unhelpful as "A+++".

Indeed a positive critique of the negative aspects of someones work goes a LOT farther than a (even unintentionally) one-off of someones work.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Finally did some serious shooting with the new camera.

rings.jpg

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ED! wrote: »
    anable wrote: »
    This is another reason why I tell people things look like snapshots or look boring...because ignoring things you don't like does not end up helping that person. *glares at everyone else*

That doesn't mean helpful criticism has to be harsh. I've asked plenty of posters here what they were trying to tell me or why they chose a particular type of framing, dof, etc. Saying "this is boring" is just as unhelpful as "A+++".

Indeed a positive critique of the negative aspects of someones work goes a LOT farther than a (even unintentionally) one-off of someones work.

Ya know what, we have been over this before just go read my last post on the subject.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ...anyway, I was going to say I agree with CC, join some flickr groups. At the same time though, I'd definitely keep reading. You'll learn more from the work of others, but you'll learn that stuff quicker by reading up on the technical side as much as possible.

Jake! on
  • FlyingmanFlyingman Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I haven't posted in a long time.

Goshinga: Those shots are excellent, the light was really working for you that day.

Here are some riding shots.

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

An old shot I re-hashed.

DSC_0013-1.jpg

Some shots from the brisbane "underground"

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Flyingman wrote: »
    I haven't posted in a long time.

Goshinga: Those shots are excellent, the light was really working for you that day.

DSC_0007-1.jpg

I love this one. However, it should be rotated slightly CW, in my opinion. I see it's currently aligned with the stuff on the right, but to look "straight," it'd be better to split the difference between the right references and the left references. That sounds pretty unclear, but hopefully you know what I mean. Love this shot, though. It does the ever-popular "lonesome, urban grittiness" a lot better than most. I am a sucker for good lonesome, urban grittiness.

The color accents of the yellowish light and the greenish glass really sell it, along with the oddly-soft gritty texture of the concrete. Visceral.

Edit: I got left and right mixed up. :P

gilrain on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I completely agree, I was just about to pick out that picture and say how good he was but he pipped me to the post :P

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited February 2009
    Some shots from the brisbane "underground"

DSC_0003-1.jpg

Personally I like this one because of the symmetry but I would crop it to be more square so the leading lines of the walls meeting the floor and ceiling are coming out of the corners of the frame.

CommunistCow on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I live in a strange town.

vdayrunners.jpg

projectmayhem on
    edited February 2009
    DSC_0107.jpg

This is a great shot, nice atmosphere. Makes me miss mountain biking a lot.

saltiness on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Hey Canon flash dudes, what would you suggest for something with manual power settings? I have a 420ex right now but can maybe sell it for $150.

bombardier on
    edited February 2009
    I think the 430ex II has everything you would want. It is about 250$ I think.

projectmayhem on
    edited February 2009
    saltiness wrote: »

..the horizon really bugs me though

Jake! on
    edited February 2009
    Jake! wrote: »
    saltiness wrote: »

..the horizon really bugs me though

Yeah, I think that could be cropped out.

saltiness on
  • erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bombsie - I use a Promaster 7500edf . I once saw a chart that shows what Canon models these Promasters were equivalent to, and I think this is supposed to compare to a Canon 550 or maybe even a 580 but I cannot find the chart now or remember. I have never used a flash before this, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I like it. I use it standalone with its diffuser; I use it in a homemade ringflash setup; I use it direct and also bounced. Since I am still learning flash use, it's tough to say that I am getting from it everything that I should from a flash in general, but for now it seems fine. Here are some sample shots I did with the flash:

Direct flash (on camera) w/ diffuser:
    http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i105/e--p/Portraits/IMG_8505.jpg
    http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i105/e--p/Portraits/IMG_8506.jpg
    http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i105/e--p/Portraits/IMG_8508.jpg

Flash off-camera in ringflash setup:
    http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i105/e--p/Portraits/IMG_7872.jpg
    http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i105/e--p/Portraits/IMG_7869.jpg

Flash in ringflash with camera in ringflash (lens through center of ring)
    :
    http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i105/e--p/IMG_7935.jpg
    http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i105/e--p/IMG_7833.jpg
    http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i105/e--p/Pets/IMG_1898.jpg
    http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i105/e--p/IMG_7928.jpg

I don't think I have any shots with the flash bounced hosted online right now.

Anyway, hope this helps some. Oh! I spend $250 on the flash itself and another $60 for the off-camera cable attachment.

EDIT:

Saltiness - I really want to like that log/ivy picture. The colors totally draw me in. But my eyes keep sliding off the log due to the narrow DOF. It's a little disconcerting. It's interesting in that the focal plane is in such an angle that the upper (not quite top) of the log is in focus while the ivy at the bottom of the frame is, too.

erisian pope on
    edited February 2009
    bombardier wrote: »
    Hey Canon flash dudes, what would you suggest for something with manual power settings? I have a 420ex right now but can maybe sell it for $150.

I'm a cheap bitch and use a nikon sb-24 on my canon but most of that use is off camera with a wireless remote. It still works on camera if you need it to. Also, it has manual power settings but you won't be able to do any TTL stuff. The lower end / older canon flashes are kind of suck since they don't have pc-sync connections and such.
    pope wrote:
    another $60 for the off-camera cable attachment.
    Jesus you can make your own 20-30ft pc sync cable for $20 or so. Strobist has a little write up on how to make it.

CommunistCow on
    edited February 2009

I'm a cheap bitch and use a nikon sb-24 on my canon but most of that use is off camera with a wireless remote but it still works on camera if you need it to. It has manual power settings but you won't be able to do any TTL stuff. The lower end / older canon flashes are kind of suck since they don't have pc-sync connections and such.
    pope wrote:
    Jesus you can make your own 20-30ft pc sync cable for $20 or so. Strobist has a little write up on how to make it.

Well it was Xmas moneys and I was lazy. :oops:

erisian pope on
    edited February 2009
    Took this just because I wanted to try photomerge

WorkPanaWeb.jpg

projectmayhem on
    edited February 2009

WorkPanaWeb.jpg[IMG][/img]

Yes it works. Now go try it on something other than an office. :P

CommunistCow on
    edited February 2009

WorkPanaWeb.jpg[IMG][/img]

Yes it works. Now go try it on something other than an office. :P

Get off me dawg! :)

Hopefully this weekend I can get out and shoot. I got a new computer and it's insane how much better cs4 runs. INSANE. I can have bridge and cs4 open at the same time. It makes me happy.

projectmayhem on
    edited February 2009

I'm a cheap bitch and use a nikon sb-24 on my canon but most of that use is off camera with a wireless remote. It still works on camera if you need it to. Also, it has manual power settings but you won't be able to do any TTL stuff. The lower end / older canon flashes are kind of suck since they don't have pc-sync connections and such.
    pope wrote:

So I checked out his (strobist) howto, and it's actually ~$30 for the sync cord (2 PC-HH cords at $10 each, plus the other bits) and then my flash doesn't have a PC port on it, so I need the hotshoe adapter. To keep TTL functionality it looks like it would cost ~$80 for the adapter. Otherwise I can lose the TTL and get one from Adorama (very generic adapter) for $12 plus shipping.

So my $60 really isn't too too much.

Of course, I am now limited to the 2-3 feet that I can stretch my current cord. I may do this eventually to get the flash some distance from the camera in the future.

Bombadier!! A good thing to note about the flash I mentioned is that it doesn't have the PC port.

erisian pope on
    edited February 2009
    So I checked out his (strobist) howto, and it's actually ~$30 for the sync cord (2 PC-HH cords at $10 each, plus the other bits) and then my flash doesn't have a PC port on it, so I need the hotshoe adapter. To keep TTL functionality it looks like it would cost ~$80 for the adapter. Otherwise I can lose the TTL and get one from Adorama (very generic adapter) for $12 plus shipping.

So my $60 really isn't too too much.

Of course, I am now limited to the 2-3 feet that I can stretch my current cord. I may do this eventually to get the flash some distance from the camera in the future.

Bombadier!! A good thing to note about the flash I mentioned is that it doesn't have the PC port.

Ok so I was a little off:
    2 pc to HH cords = $20
    female hh adapters = $6
    20ft of HH eletrical wire =$5
    Total of = $31

Also this is why I refuse to buy flashes that don't have pc-sync ports on them. It just makes things more of a hassle and more expensive.

Edit: Incase anyone else plans on making their own PC sync cord this way just be sure you plug the pc to HH into the female part of the cord the same way on both sides or you'll end up just causing error 99s (at least on canons) until you correct it.

CommunistCow on
  • Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    salti - Mmm, buttery. I have no suggestions, though I’m slightly puzzled about how you got what’s in focus in focus - the stuff doesn’t seem to be on the same plane.

Flyingman - 1 is good, but consider dropping your black clipping point a bit. As it is the bushes on the left and the front of the rider are pretty unnecessarily dark. The really heavy contrast is doing funny things to the bushes on the right too (which could do with some CA cleanup). 2 is lovely and I like it very much. Remove the overexposed sky and I like it 3x more. 3 just has too much of that sky. A CP or GND might’ve saved it, but as it is it’s just too overexposed. I really, really like the old rehashed shot. What is that beam of which running through the middle of the frame? I agree with gil regarding the underground shots. Make the most obvious vertical line straight, which is the one currently 3° CCW from vertical.

project, your red saturation is pretty ridiculously high there. The shirts are just exploding out the frame, in a bad way.

I finally got around to processing some shots of a concert I did last weekend. I was at ISO1600, f/2.8 and 1/90” for almost the entire thing. Noise reduction after the fact was difficult - the K10D is not renown for having good high ISO noise control. Shots are bassist heavy as it was his show, he's my cousin and he's the one who requested I shoot the show. Thoughts/Suggestions?

3289611084_d89e5412a4.jpg

3289587346_8a27570423.jpg

3289564470_75952121dd.jpg

3288737337_4591ab6d09.jpg

3289545638_5d6edd53b5.jpg

3288709011_ce8f3326ab.jpg

3288703237_ca4d5bc609.jpg

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    3289587346_8a27570423.jpg

This photo is quite awesome with the color saturation, tilt, and composition. It would have been awesome if you could have gotten something like this with people on the stage. The rest are pretty meh IMO. Sadly most concert photography you are at the mercy of the venue's light setup.

This is my friend's concert photography which I think is pretty darn good to give you some ideas:
    http://www.craigchapman.ca/galleries/portfolio/

here is another good link:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/top50music/pool/

Edit: fine its just link dump time:
    http://livebabylive.com/
    http://richardgin.org/portfolio/?id=101

CommunistCow on
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Alright, I'm putting these up partly just to keep things photo-oriented, partly because they were among the last pictures (and only ones in non-RAW format) I took with the Canon 20D my school's photo services group had, and partly for general critique; the model one is an exception, being from a lighting workshop I went to on a whim a few months ago, and taken with a Nikon (sadly, that's the best one of the lot). The two garden-planting ones was for an article on the rain gardens they were building, and the ones of the dog were pictures of my mom's dog a few months before she died; I really wish the first one were actually in focus, because I like that one better, and I do apologize for the lack of artistic consideration in the both of them, but if there might be anything in general terms (to the extent that you might be able to extrapolate generalities from so few photos) that might help me, especially with composition, I honestly would appreciate it.

rain1.jpg
    rain2.jpg
    model.JPG
    image007.jpg
    image008.jpg

Anyway, the other main reason I'm posting is for a question; I remember when I posted some of the pictures that I took here in Spain, there was some mention of the limitation of point-and-shoot cameras. I definitely realize that they are limited in their capabilities, but I was kind of wondering; what would be the best way of dealing with those limitations, seeing as I can't really get my hands on a DSLR here, and it doesn't seem to be very easy to accomodate the old SLR I did bring with me (a Canon TX from the 70s)? I'll keep trying to find both film and a decent means of developing photos from said camera, but until then, it seems like the p&s is the best I've got, and I'd like to get better at using it (and at photography in general). Spoilered is one of the exceedingly few "decent" pictures from that camera I've got (scanned from the film).
    image027.png

crawdaddio on
    edited February 2009
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    ...photos...

The first one is meh they are doing something but they are not interacting it might be better if you caught the point when they were handing the plant from one person to the other or putting it in the hole but still it wouldn't be that exciting IMO. The best thing to do with journalism type stuff is keep the camera glued to your face until people forget you are there or ignore you and then snap photos when they are doing something interesting or gesturing or laughing.

2nd one is decent with the low DOF and the lines of the shovles.

3rd one the studio portrait looks like a senior portrait with that background. Please god move the model away from that hideous thing and use a lower fstop.

4th and 5th Never take pictures of your pets. Ever. Unless they have a pancake on their head and look friggen hilarious. like:
    bunny-pancake.jpg

CommunistCow on
    edited February 2009
    My cats are my only models available when playing with learning to use my flash. Even my nephew is less cooperative than them.

IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_7920.jpg

erisian pope on
    edited February 2009
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    ...photos...
    4th and 5th Never post pictures of your pets. Ever.

Fixed that quote for you (at least, my mom seemed to appreciate the pictures, as moms generally do, but especially since she had that dog for 10 years, and was very glad to have had those last photos of her); I do, in retrospect, agree with the edited quote, though; I was kind of on the fence to begin with, but there you are.

Anyway, I greatly appreciate the crits for the other photos as well, especially the first and third ones; I don't really see myself continuing down the photojournalism path, at least in any remotely professional sense, but I think that building the skills that come with it certainly help in drawing composition, at the very least, and I would like to build my aptitude in that style of photography in general, because I'm fond of it. The model one...yeah, the most important thing that workshop taught me is that I have a lot to learn about studio photography, though as before, I think skills I could develop in that area would also help me greatly in many others.

Any thoughts on the post-photos quesiton?

crawdaddio on
    edited February 2009
    P&S are severely limited in terms of DOF, ability to change lenses, and obviously aperture/shutter speed settings. The best you can really practice with them is composition and taking shots from odd angles.

..and yes I agree taking pictures of your pets is fine for yourself and your family but posting them here is usually going to be really boring to everyone else since they don't know the pet and have no emotional connection that really makes the photo interesting to them.

pope: I don't see why you would ever use a ring flash off camera other than making a flash light source a little bit bigger and slightly more diffused. Ring flashes are pretty much meant to be shot through. The first picture looks technically interesting because of the ring the second looks like a generic off camera flash.

CommunistCow on
    edited February 2009
    Fair enough; on the bright side, I think both of those are areas in which I need particular work, anyway.

crawdaddio on
  • dagookfatherdagookfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    An oldie I came across. Hoho, I like posting pics I'm on the fence about at the end of the thread, I'm gonna start making this habitual.
    February_Strobist_Meet_237_Web.jpg

dagookfather on
    edited February 2009
    I like it. I do think I would like it better though if her hand was at her side holding the cigarette instead of at her mouth.

Also, got this in the mail! (and yet for some reason I took the shot with my blackberry)

NOMLENS.jpg

projectmayhem on
  • dagookfatherdagookfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That was my favorite lens when I was shooting Canon (I didn't have very many...). She was actually smoking it when I took the picture, but looking at it now, it does look staged. I think it's because I cloned/patched the wrinkles it was giving her...Sometimes you gotta leave those breadcrumbs of reality huh.

dagookfather on
    edited February 2009
    That was my favorite lens when I was shooting Canon (I didn't have very many...). She was actually smoking it when I took the picture, but looking at it now, it does look staged. I think it's because I cloned/patched the wrinkles it was giving her...Sometimes you gotta leave those breadcrumbs of reality huh.

Yeah, it looks to me like she is holding it up there because it's whats expected of her instead of it being what she is actually doing. If that makes sense.

projectmayhem on
    edited February 2009

WorkPanaWeb.jpg

ahh, photomerge.
    glacier.jpg

Jake! on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That should be hung in a gallery somewhere.

MKR on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dag, that's a great shot. I like how the lines of the billboard cut through the frame and divide it. The left side is much more neutral than the high contrast of the girl on the right. I find the whole thing really interesting.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Hey commie, make a new thread.

bombardier on
This discussion has been closed.