As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What to wear under the robes.

GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm graduating on Friday and with exams wrapping up I'm just starting to think about commencement. I notice that the standard for a black robe and cap is blacks pants and black shoes. Unfortunately my university offers zero information about this. Right now I only have khakis and brown shoes in my wardrobe.

Will I be able to get away with that underneath my robes or will I look silly with the contrast between the robe and the khakis and brown shoes? I suppose I could go out and buy some dress pants, but it's simply impossible to find some black shoes in my size at this late notice. What do you recommend?

sierracrest.jpg
Gafoto on

• Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Go Commando IMO.

Really I don't think anyone is gonna notice some brown shoe tips sticking out. Or care for that matter.

Out of curiosity, why can't you go to a like payless and get some black shoes? Do you wear like size 18's and they simply don't have them?

rfalias on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It just depends on the circumstances of the graduation. If it's a graduate or other smaller, more intimate graduation then you'll be more at the mercy of decor, but at a large undergraduate ceremony you can wear sweats and sneakers under your robe and no one will give a fuck. I wore a pair of soft soles and loose slacks to my undergrad, but only because I was going to dinner afterward. Plenty of folks I knew just went in standard street clothes, then peeled off the robe and hit the bar when it was over.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    for highschool or undergrad graduation you can generally get away with anything 'nice' the only stipulation is not to wear sneakers and jeans even if they are 'nice' sneakers and jeans

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    rfalias wrote: »
    Go Commando IMO.

Really I don't think anyone is gonna notice some brown shoe tips sticking out. Or care for that matter.

Out of curiosity, why can't you go to a like payless and get some black shoes? Do you wear like size 18's and they simply don't have them?
    I wear size 16s, generally in an extra wide size.

I go to Virginia Tech so the spring graduation is quite large but I'm not sure how large the fall ceremony is.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    MalyonsusMalyonsus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    For my graduation (class of ~650 plus graduates plus like 4 PhDs, outdoors, summertime), I wore vaguely dressy clothing (black pants, dress shoes, button up shirt), but the robe was opaque and long enough that the only thing that really mattered was the shoes (and I guess the top of the shirt), and then it really only mattered that they were dark. If your shoes are darkish brown, I'd say you're more than okay.

Congratulations on graduating, by the way.

Malyonsus on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My undergraduate graduation consisted of two parts:

1. Friday night we had the guest speaker and doctoral candidate hoodings. I wore slacks and a button down shirt for this one.
    2. Saturday afternoon we had school specific graduations (Like A&S, Journalism, Business, etc) where you actually walk and get your empty degree holder. I wore a black suit for this one.

Really, no one is going to care. The graduation picture they take of you (in front of the flags) won't show your legs at all, so it's not going to be a big deal if you wear khakis.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I still say go commando

rfalias on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is it a long ceremony? They usually are. If so, whatever you'll be comfortable in. Nobody will really be paying enough attention to your feet for it to matter.

I had an outdoor graduation in May. It was hot as balls. I wore a polo shirt and shorts as did several of my friends. Many other people wore suits or got dressed up under their gowns. They ended up roasting while I was just fine.

oldsak on
  • Options
    OhioOhio Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I promise, nobody cares what you wear underneath. You're graduating. You won't see 99% of those people ever again. Plus, your clothes are going to be covered by the robe!

Ohio on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ohio wrote: »
    I promise, nobody cares what you wear underneath. You're graduating. You won't see 99% of those people ever again. Plus, your clothes are going to be covered by the robe!

Pretty much.

I graduated this Saturday, and although I dressed nice (Button up shirt, slacks, nice dress shoes) there where plenty of people who just wore what made them comfortable. And no one cared.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ok, I'll stick with the khakis and the nice leather shoes. Hopefully I won't get any complaints from the family.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wore shorts, a t-shirt, and Birkenstocks.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wore shorts and a T-shirt with sandals to my high school graduation.

It snowed for my college graduation, though, so that involved being a bit more bundled up (yes, I graduated in May).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    NandajiNandaji Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    oh hey, i went to tech too.. graduated last spring... at tech u could get away with wearing jeans n sneakers if u wanted to, no one will say anything. but most likely ull be posing for pictures n stuff after so wear slacks, nice shoes and a shirt/tie under the robe. it doesn't matter if its brown/black so khakis are fine.
    Mind you, it gets HOT in cassell as your waiting for ur diploma, and the polyester robes dont help a bit, so make sure ur shirt is light, and tie is slightly loose.. altho u might not have that much of a problem since is balls cold in blacksburg rite now. The ceremony is still pretty big since they lump all the colleges together for the fall ceromony rather than split them up like in the spring.

Nandaji on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gafoto wrote: »
    Ok, I'll stick with the khakis and the nice leather shoes. Hopefully I won't get any complaints from the family.

if your family complains about what you wore under your gown to your own graduation, tell them to shut the hell up you're a college grad now.

the wook on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ok. I'm guessing things are a lot more slack in the States.

In the UK, graduation wear is semi formal (Uni only 'cos we've got better things to do than prance about just 'cos we finished our A-Levels). Generally most unis go for black and white (black trousers, black dress shoes, white shirt) and a tie of some sort (for the guys, no comedy ties). It always looks pretty smart.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    BobCesca wrote: »

In the UK, graduation wear is semi formal (Uni only 'cos we've got better things to do than prance about just 'cos we finished our A-Levels). Generally most unis go for black and white (black trousers, black dress shoes, white shirt) and a tie of some sort (for the guys, no comedy ties). It always looks pretty smart.
    Our robes aren't open like yours. You could be naked under the robes we wear for graduation, and odds are, no one would notice.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm sure you'll be fine with the khakis/brown shoes, Gafo. Congratulations!

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    BobCesca wrote: »

Our robes aren't open like yours. You could be naked under the robes we wear for graduation, and odds are, no one would notice.

that makes more sense.

silly Americans with your non-proper robes.

Anywway, in light of this new infomation, OP you can wear anything, but I still think black shoes would be best.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    a flask

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I went commando with a flask.

Kivutar on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kivutar wrote: »

Wait, where did you put the flask?

D:

Comahawk on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Comahawk wrote: »

D:

The obvious answer here, my friend, is that you do not want to know.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Comahawk wrote: »

D:

In a very special place.
    The butt muscles are strong. Why do you think the muscle is called "Flaskius Claspius" :winky:

rfalias on