As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer locks

SteevLSteevL What can I do for you?Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I work at a library with over 50 PCs in the public area, and a good number of PCs also located in the staff areas. We have one laptop behind the desk I work at which has been locked down via something like this.

A few months ago, we had an incident where one of our public PCs disappeared. I guess there's been a lot of fuss over it behind the scenes, and today my boss's boss asked me to look into finding locks for our PCs similar to the one I linked, but preferably cheaper.

I've searched newegg and amazon and found a few different types of locks. Does anyone here have any recommendations? Like I said, this is a library, and we're always dealing with real and possible budget cuts, so we're trying to keep the prices low. All our PCs have a notch in the case similar to the one we use to lock the laptop down.

Thanks everyone.

SteevL on

• Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    http://us.kensington.com/html/1434.html

Quick google result for "laptop cable lock" gave that link. Don't know anything about the products, though.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have bought PC Guardian brand cable locks in the past. They sell 25 packs of the combo locks through companies like CDW. Also, you can get them direct. If you want 50, I'd suggest calling them to get a quote. Might be a bit less than that $35 price. (From CDW, the 25 packs average out to around $29 a lock)

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Be careful when buying Kensington cable locks. I think newer ones are Ok, but there are handy "instructional videos" on Youtube that cover how to bypass the old-style Kensington cable locks.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer