As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moving large video files in XP [solved]

bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm converting some VHS videos to DVD. The videos were pretty long, so the files are like 7~8GB (mpg). I need to get them over to my external HD so I can edit on my Mac, but apparently XP wont copy files over 4GB.
I tried using unstoppable copier and teracopy, but that just truncated the files at 4GB leaving behind half the content.
I also tried using 7-zip to split the file then expand it on my external HD, but that still failed at 4GB (using 7zip in XP)

Is there a free prog that can split the videos into smaller clips (while keeping the quality) or copy very larger files?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
Steam ID: Good Life
bloodatonement on

• CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Winrar can break down large files into .rar files, but I don't know if it has any file size limitations or not.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The reason why you can't copy the files over is because your external HD is formatted for FAT32, which won't handle files over 4gb. NTFS will handle larger files but you would need to reformat your external drive.

Winrar and winzip will compress and split up the video file into smaller chunks so you can use it to transfer them to your mac, but you would have to unzip them on the mac, not on the external drive.

pacbowl on
    steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    pacbowl wrote: »
    The reason why you can't copy the files over is because your external HD is formatted for FAT32, which won't handle files over 4gb. NTFS will handle larger files but you would need to reformat your external drive.

Winrar and winzip will compress and split up the video file into smaller chunks so you can use it to transfer them to your mac, but you would have to unzip them on the mac, not on the external drive.

Ah, kick ass. Thanks!

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
This discussion has been closed.