As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Midsomer Murders (British TV thread)

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Janson wrote: »
    that certainly is a sporting sweater that chap is wearing to the murder scene

Well the murder has taken place inside a cricket score booth!

(Troy was participating in the game).

oh god, so british

my interest in this show is peaked. twelve seasons, you say? is this one of the shows were Strange and Dire Continuity will force you to follow it from the beginning, or can a person just jump right in? And if it is the latter, what episode would you recommend as a jumping point?

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You can jump straight in!

Oh goodness...couldn't recommend any particular episode off the top of my head. But I'd say go for one from one of the earlier seasons, maybe season two or three? Maybe check imdb for ratings on individual episodes?

Janson on
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Watch the first 2 episodes of Season 1, then jump straight to Season 3 and watch any you find of that.

Junpei on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I used to watch this with my dear mama. it is quite a wonderful show, wot wot

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    and this all reminded me of the avengers
    its only ever on here at like 1am or so randomly but its always great

youtube doesnt seem to have too much thats not full episodes cut up but i did find this one pretty cool clip

just uh.. ignore the intro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpoHhTb34pM

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    NadsNads Bob Ducca Asleep in a cul-de-sac.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    I've always been a huge fan of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFaIhXEt6hg

Nads on
    3c5d24e9-b7f2-44ba-bbf2-3b4658af70bd.jpg
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Maybe I should pick up a season or two as a Christmas gift for my parents. My mother absolutely adores everything British.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yess the Avengers was so good

And then they utterly decimated its legacy with that awful, awful film

Janson on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Diana Rigg

No more needs to be said

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm quite fond of this show: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Martin

It's really quite charming.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yay for Midsomer Murders.

Janson gets a huge hi5 for this thread.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i heard jonathan creek was having a christmas episode this year, but i don't want to get my hopes up

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Nuzak wrote: »
    i heard jonathan creek was having a christmas episode this year, but i don't want to get my hopes up

From Wiki

"The Grinning Man" will be shown on 1 January 2009, guest starring Sheridan Smith as Joey Ross and Stuart Milligan reprising his role as Adam Klaus.[3] News of the comeback was reported in the Daily Mirror on 31 May, reporting that David Renwick, who wrote all of the previous episodes, had returned and that filming would commence shortly, stating "After a five-year break I think we're all looking forward to getting Creek back on the screen". Renwick is also directing the episode,[4][5] which started filming at the end of June 2008.

Ohfuck

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yesssss

Also, hi5 NaS!

Although, Jonathan Creek just wasn't the same after Maddy left.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Coupling is so awesome. The boxset comes out at Christmas all the time and it is a little disconcerting to have grandma laughing at 'I have the keys to heaven but too many legs!'

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man Stroke Woman had some pretty good sketches now and then.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Paramount Comedy is having a Black Books Weekend. Glee.

Also, spare some love for the panel show - Have I Got News For You, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, Mock the Week and the like. If it weren't for Mock the Week and Have I Got News For You, as well as the Friday night comedy on radio 4, I'd never know what was going on in the world outside university.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    gazamcgazamc Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    They are doing a new Midsomer Murders Christmas special this year.

gazamc on
  • Options
    Apathetics AnonymousApathetics Anonymous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Apathetics Anonymous on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think my mum and I have watched pretty much every episode of MM, with the exception of the last two or three episodes. The episodes of the last series felt very drawn out and dull. Before then, it was really enjoyable.

My favourite thing from MM is Troy's nickname for gay guys from the very first episode: "arse bandits".

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh, and Spaced. Spaced is good.

Black Books is still my favorite, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAM-ceTC1io

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    "Moo Ma! Moo Pa!"

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    So last night's, or rather, this morning's episode's murderer was a mentally-disabled man being controlled through a computer game by a precocious nine year old.

Janson on
  • Options
    Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Haha I was just watching KTEH when I realized it was a whole channel dedicated to padding the Americanization-acclimation process Janson must be going through.

They show a lot of actually good stuff -- Jeeves and Wooster, the Grenada Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett, and so on. It is like you need a fresh mug of HP sauce to go along with it.

Now I have the theme to Jeeves and Wooster in my head.

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
  • Options
    QuadropheniaQuadrophenia Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you haven't watched Are You Being Served? while really stoned, do yourself a favor and do it as soon as possible.

Quadrophenia on
    I'm so tired of partying.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    "Moo Ma! Moo Pa!"

The best bit of that episode was the reveal that Bernard's black suit is just a really filthy white suit.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Moriveth wrote: »
    "Moo Ma! Moo Pa!"

The best bit of that episode was the reveal that Bernard's black suit is just a really filthy white suit.

When Moo-Ma washed his suit and his hair and he looked really good, then about an hour later he was engrained with filth agan... I laughed my arse off at that.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hey, I remember that one!

Do you know what else I really love about Midsomer Murders? Half the murderers are dressed like the Black Stig.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Cyvros wrote: »

Do you know what else I really love about Midsomer Murders? Half the murderers are dressed like the Black Stig.

Bad guys do wear black - in popular media anyway.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Moriveth wrote: »
    "Moo Ma! Moo Pa!"

When Moo-Ma washed his suit and his hair and he looked really good, then about an hour later he was engrained with filth agan... I laughed my arse off at that.

"Who washed my clothes? WHO SHAVED ME?!?"

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I had tears rolling down my cheeks...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The one where Bernard tries to make the bookshop like a chain bookstore was good too

the couch eating the little kid

also Manny finding out that he's a natural pianist was great too!

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I like when they go on holidays together and have about two hundred connecting flights.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Cyvros wrote: »

Bad guys do wear black - in popular media anyway.

Is this going to link into that popular media thread I saw earlier?

Cyvros on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There's a new series starting on ITV on the 3rd January called Demons. japan's first thought when he looked at the wiki page was that it was a British version of Buffy but with a male lead. Apparently, the teenage boy is
    the last surviving person from the van Helsing line
    and learns to fight demons while still studying for his A-Levels, or something.

It'll probably be crap, but it's from the same people who made the reccent BBC series Merlin, which means I'll watch it for a couple of episodes before I decide how crap it is.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I used to like The Bill way back in the day, but I lost interest when it increasingly became more soap opera and less arresting young scrotes from housing estates that had nicked a vcr and stuck it in a lock up, or something equally minor and irrelevant.

YOU'RE NICKED SUNSHINE!

-SPI- on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    oh man, The Bill used to be so good. I don't know what happened but it became a soap in the worst way, even worse than Casualty, which I used to love when I was younger. ITV has a habit of fucking up good shows by making them into mini-soaps. It kinda sucks.

Just thought of another show which is worth watching (and not just 'cos of my humungous <3 for Stephen Fry), Kingdom:

Kingdom-5cc01b8c-0426-409c-aefd-fe7.jpg

kingdom.jpg

BobCesca on