As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alone on Christmas

KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
My friend Mildred is from Paraguay and was unable to go home for the holidays this year and is going to be spending Christmas alone. Does anyone have any ideas of what she could do besides drink herself blind to keep busy and have at least a somewhat enjoyable day?

KyleWPeterson on

• Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My friend Diana is from Paraguay and was unable to go home for the holidays this year and is going to be spending Christmas alone. Does anyone have any ideas of what she could do besides drink herself blind to keep busy and have at least a somewhat enjoyable day?

Christmas with good friends.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Are you kidding? Its still just a day like any other, apart from shit being closed.

So do whatever she'd do on a day that isn't christmas. Read a book, play some games, catch up on some movies, get a start on spring cleaning. Whatever hobbies she's into, or get prepared with some supplies for one that she's been thinking of getting into? Go for a walk to check out peoples lights. Go to a christmas church thing... Sleep in if she doesn't get the chance often...

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    invite her over to spend it with you and yours?

if she cares about being alone on christmas there isn't a whole lot of anything she can do. the movie theaters are open, and no other place really is.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Denny's is open. I drove around on Christmas day trying to find a place to eat. I can't express to you how disappointed I was to find the Chinese restaurant closed. I figured they were a sure bet.

However, Denny's was open, and I was served coffee by a woman in a santa hat. Everyone did their damndest to be nice to each other and express some sense of cheer. It was sort of a bonding experience for all the solitary travelers.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Last year when I was alone on christmas I just went and saw a few movies. Paid for one, snuck into the rest kind of thing

blakfeld on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    oh this reminds me. I have to hit up the liquor store tomorrow or tuesday. Probably tomorrow seeing as its the annual celebration of my birth.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    This will be my second xmas in a row I will miss. I also have to work xmas so it doesn't really matter, does this person have an extreme problem being a lone? Xmas is not really special just another day except most places are closed and most people are spending time with their families getting sweet gifts. She could go to church if she really wanted to.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    This will be my second xmas in a row I will miss. I also have to work xmas so it doesn't really matter, does this person have an extreme problem being a lone? Xmas is not really special just another day except most places are closed and most people are spending time with their families getting sweet gifts. She could go to church if she really wanted to.

I think you're wrong about christmas being just another day!

For some it may be so but for others it can be rather grim to be alone on that day. It all depends on where you come from - not in a geographic sense but if your brought you with the holidays being a big thing. Lots of family stuff and all not being part of that can be a big thing.

I for one don't really care for christmas as such but since I'm currently single and my friends have all reached the age where they do their holiday with their kids plus perhaps parents and grand parents I do find my self being alone this year. Just a simple thing as not having anyone to buy a present fells bad. I'm sure I could tag alone with some of my friends but it would feel like I was imposing on their family thing.

To the OP. If possible invite your friend to be part of your christmas but make sure it does not sound like a pitty thing but like you really want her there.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Christmas for the wife and I will be spent house-hopping from family to family. Hopefully in the evening we will have time to just hunker down at our house and cozy up on the couch for the evening.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Have a long bath, eat a cheaty unhealthy meal, open any gifts, watch some movies that are upbeat.

Not much else you can do.

onceling on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm sorry. I must have missed it, but is preventing you from inviting her to enjoy some Christmas with you and yours?

Slagmire on
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    She and I used to date so it would just be awkward is all. And thank you for the suggestions, there are a lot of good ideas there.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    She could volunteer to help serve food at a local soup kitchen, strike up conversations with some folks.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If there's a Dave and Busters nearby, they're always open on Christmas. Good arcade/bar/restaurant social atmosphere.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Marley & Me comes out on Christmas. Have her watch that.

Also, if she's able to I'd highly recommend finding a Chinese restaurant to make it a perfect Christmas away from home.

Quid on
  • Options
    RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've missed many Christmases and other holidays and had to spend them alone. Not a big deal. I just did whatever I was ussually doing and didn't think it of it as a holiday. Just a normal weekend off.

I've eaten gas station food for Thanksgiving once. It won't kill her/you. Just do whatever you would do on a weekend/day off.

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • Options
    TopweaselTopweasel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    She and I used to date so it would just be awkward is all. And thank you for the suggestions, there are a lot of good ideas there.

Are you currently seeing someone else. If not I would still throw out the offer. I mean for the most part its just another day but if your asking then you or her feel this is special day. Me personally I never want to not be with family on Christmas. There is a reason it is pretty high on the list of days that people kill themselves. So either tell her to keep herself busy (Denny's and Movies best idea) like its any other day or find a way for her to take part in somebodies Christmas.

Topweasel on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    Marley & Me comes out on Christmas. Have her watch that.

Also, if she's able to I'd highly recommend finding a Chinese restaurant to make it a perfect Christmas away from home.

That movie is so fucking sad at the end. I saw a sneak peak last Thursday. Plus it's terrible, and nowhere near the hilarity of the book.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!