As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Once and Future Spider-man Movie

aquabataquabat Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I couldnt find the original Spider-man movie thread, so here we go.
NEW TRAILER AWESOMENESS

It contains a pretty fucking big spoiler though, so be warned

I think it looks pretty cool but some of the CGI in there is beyond beyond beyond shit. They tend to work on these things right up until the final day, so it might change. Im surprised they let that BIG ARSE spoiler out in the trailer though. Strange

aquabat on

• Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    What spoiler? Did I miss something?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Dublo7 wrote:

I'm sure he's talking about the ridiculous fucking retcon wherein
    Sandman killed Ben, rather than the guy EVERYONE FUCKING SAW DO IT in the first movie

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    NoomNoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Dublo7 wrote:

I'm sure he's talking about the ridiculous fucking retcon wherein [spoiler:331e0b4a0e]Sandman killed Ben, rather than the guy EVERYONE FUCKING SAW DO IT in the first movie[/spoiler:331e0b4a0e]
    [spoiler:331e0b4a0e]When I saw that I literally said "That's retarded, this is all very retarded"[/spoiler:331e0b4a0e]

Noom on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Noom wrote:
    Dublo7 wrote:

I'm sure he's talking about the ridiculous fucking retcon wherein [spoiler:df0f985890]Sandman killed Ben, rather than the guy EVERYONE FUCKING SAW DO IT in the first movie[/spoiler:df0f985890]
    [spoiler:df0f985890]When I saw that I literally said "That's retarded, this is all very retarded"[/spoiler:df0f985890]

I thought :

[spoiler:df0f985890]Hey I mean the last 2 movies were good it wouldnt be a comic book to movie, if the director didnt fuck the work to death then shit on it. [/spoiler:df0f985890]

Golem on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Dublo7 wrote:

I'm sure he's talking about the ridiculous fucking retcon wherein [spoiler:92230909ba]Sandman killed Ben, rather than the guy EVERYONE FUCKING SAW DO IT in the first movie[/spoiler:92230909ba]

Hahah, oh yeah. [spoiler:92230909ba]I had to think about that for a second. That is so fucking stupid.[/spoiler:92230909ba]

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I hope, at the end of the movie, that Venom just kills everyone, then smiles at the camera and says "That's all folks" and we never see another Spiderman movie again.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2006
    Is it cool to hate these movies now? I can't keep up.

Tube on
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I expect to like this but be in the minority. Judging by the amount of people already pissed off it.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    edited November 2006

Its cool to hate it when they go back and fuck up there own plot and fuck up the storyline. Screw these movies!

Golem on
  • Options
    edited November 2006

I dunno, the first two movies were ok, but kinda bugged me, it seems like, with the third, they're throwing all pretenses of a logical plot out the window, dropping this retcon shit in with Sandman, having Harry take up the Goblin stuff (and manage to look like even more of a douche while he does so), have Spiderman deal with the symbiote, and then Venom to top it all off.

I mean, I like Spiderman, and I'm excited to see Venom, but I don't know why they felt the need to cram so much into one movie.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Fastasaurus_rexFastasaurus_rex Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Pls correct me if im wrong but in the first movie we dont actually see the fag with the bad hair kill ben do we? It is my memory that we just come upon him all dying and shit? is it not possible lets say that sandman shoots him and the homo swipes his car?

Fastasaurus_rex on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Pls correct me if im wrong but in the first movie we dont actually see the fag with the bad hair kill ben do we? It is my memory that we just come upon him all dying and shit? is it not possible lets say that sandman shoots him and the homo swipes his car?

We don't see it, but there's a ton of people gathered around who did, and they mention him shooting Ben and stealing the car, IIRC.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Fastasaurus_rexFastasaurus_rex Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    AAHHH i see thank you. But still no need to get ur panties in a twist just remember we go to be movies to be entertained..if you wanna bitch and complain about every little detail move to France.

Fastasaurus_rex on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I hope, at the end of the movie, that Venom just kills everyone, then smiles at the camera and says "That's all folks" and we never see another Spiderman movie again.

Maaaaaan. We all know how its gonna end. The last scene will involve [spoiler:3bbb82fe96]the symbiote[/spoiler:3bbb82fe96] sliding its way to some undeserving/unsuspecting, wrathful character and then he'll look at the screen and the credits will roll. I hope its Mary Jane.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Malkor wrote:

Maaaaaan. We all know how its gonna end. The last scene will involve [spoiler:0036f8b4ed]the symbiote[/spoiler:0036f8b4ed] sliding its way to some undeserving/unsuspecting, wrathful character and then he'll look at the screen and the credits will roll. I hope its Mary Jane.

Or when the credits roll, it comes up with real life footage of Kirsten Dunst hurling herself off a fucking bridge. Everybody cheers, and Spider-man 3 gets Oscars out of it's ass.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

We don't see it, but there's a ton of people gathered around who did, and they mention him shooting Ben and stealing the car, IIRC.

[spoiler:8dd8446609]i think they just said that some guy shot ben. the only time you see the guy in the first movie is when he's running past peter, and then when he dies in the abandoned building. there's no one to actually point the finger and ID the body to the murder. there is room for an accomplice.[/spoiler:8dd8446609]

although, my memory is foggy. there could be chunks that i'm forgetting.

i'm entheused about this movie regardless.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2006

Chill with the gay-slurs, or your tenure here is going to be painfully short, kthxbi.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Also, I know how this movie ends. Bwahaha.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:

THE INFINITY GAUNTLET?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:

I plan to spoil it for anyone in the office who gets too excited/annoying about it in revenge for having to listen to rampant speculation about Laguna Beach and the OC.

Malkor on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    They probably wanted to cram so much into this movie because if they want any more, they have to fit in Gwen. As Kirsten is leaving. Smart move on her part, apparently.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:

THE INFINITY GAUNTLET?

I'll never tell!

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Malkor wrote:

Maaaaaan. We all know how its gonna end. The last scene will involve [spoiler:864ccee3c0]the symbiote[/spoiler:864ccee3c0] sliding its way to some undeserving/unsuspecting, wrathful character and then he'll look at the screen and the credits will roll. I hope its Mary Jane.

They've already shown the scene in the earlier footage from whatever comic convention it was, with Eddie Brock in a church praying for a way to get rid of Spiderman, or something to that effect, and the symbiote dropping on him.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    AAHHH i see thank you. But still no need to get ur panties in a twist just remember we go to be movies to be entertained..if you wanna bitch and complain about every little detail move to France.
    Having just come back from France, I can tell you... most of the trailers and posters for movies there looked pretty damn bad too.

Just Google "Poltergay" and I'm sure you'll see what I mean.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:

THE INFINITY GAUNTLET?

I'll never tell!

THE INFINITY WAR, then?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:

THE INFINITY GAUNTLET?

I'll never tell!

THE INFINITY WAR, then?

I take it back the Infinity cross over could be a sweet movie.

Golem on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    A Secret Wars movie series would be awesome

Xaquin on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I can handle the retcon just fine. I don't mind looking the other way since the movie looks like it'll have legitimate character development and drama.
    In the last movie they explained Doc Ock's arms [spoiler:cc10619977]as being some kind of retarded way for him to control a miniature sun, yet the AI is too powerful and evil for some reason and turns him into a homicidal madman. Also how did they rationalize him having a 2-foot fucking knife in one of his arms? Did he need to stab the sun in case it got out of control?

Also, Topher Grace is playing Eddie Brock. Eddie Brock is Venom you idiot, Mary Jane is not going to become the symbiote.
    [/spoiler:cc10619977]

I expect this will be better than Spider-man 2 and have the best fight scenes in the series. You want canon? Read the comics. I don't want my Spider-man movies ruined by aliens and super-villains. Hyped-up street thugs is what Spidey should be fighting and hyped-up street thugs is what we get here, plus a new Goblin.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hyped-up street thugs is what Spidey should be fighting and hyped-up street thugs is what we get here, plus a new Goblin.

The movie would be enriched by the removal of the New Goblin. That's not based on inside information, that's just the Law of Overly Cluttered Movies.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't want my Spider-man movies ruined by aliens and super-villains.

:shock:

did.... did you really just say that?

:shock:

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Golem wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:

THE INFINITY GAUNTLET?

I'll never tell!

THE INFINITY WAR, then?

I take it back the Infinity cross over could be a sweet movie.

[spoiler:9b3e9b5a72]Infinitygems002.jpg[/spoiler:9b3e9b5a72]
    :o:o:o:o:o

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Wish I had a gauntlet. :(

Malkor on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think it looks pretty good, but I only have a passing interest in Spider-Man. The only comic series I collected was Darkhawk and I was 12.

Also, I have the first 5 Infinity War comics, but NEVER read the sixth! Argh!

Nova_C on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The biggest problem with the retcon is that
    [spoiler:032d4f5c79] his failure to stop the criminal that killed Ben beforehand is what essentially led to him becoming a super hero... yeah, the With Great power speech is nice, but honestly what always drove Spider-Man's character was guilt. First guilt over Ben, then guilt over Gwen... taking that away is a pretty big deal. [/spoiler:032d4f5c79]

I'm kinda hoping the previews are misleading... that there is actually something else going on... but then, I hope for a lot of things.

That being said, I found the last two movies to be highly entertaining, so I don't feel justified bashing this one until I've seen it. I owe that much, at least.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:

THE INFINITY GAUNTLET?

I'll never tell!

I certainly don't want you to.

Able to share with us HOW you know, though? Worked on the set? Know the right people? Done a little 'extra work' for Ms. Dunst?

:winky:

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Nova_C wrote:
    I think it looks pretty good, but I only have a passing interest in Spider-Man. The only comic series I collected was Darkhawk and I was 12.

Also, I have the first 5 Infinity War comics, but NEVER read the sixth! Argh!

magus wins. for serious.

[spoiler:243c8af10c]that was a lie.[/spoiler:243c8af10c]

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So guys, Spidey in this new movie...

I hear he has two suits.

Sorry, I've been reading the Wii thread too much. :oops:

Back on topic, retconning movie continuity is lazysauce. It's barely acceptable in comics and in movies it's unforgiveable. Retconning Ben's death had better not be true.

That's right, Spider-Man 3; I'm putting you on notice.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Forar wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:

THE INFINITY GAUNTLET?

I'll never tell!

I certainly don't want you to.

Able to share with us HOW you know, though? Worked on the set? Know the right people? Done a little 'extra work' for Ms. Dunst?

:winky:

My company is making a Spider-Man game loosely based on the movies. In order to write the design doc, I had to read a poorly-written synopsis of the movie. I know all the plot points, and the major events that transpire, and how it ends, and so on, but I don't know anything about how a particular scene plays out. A fight scene would be summarized as something like:
    Spiderman and Sandman fight. Sandman hits Spiderman really hard, injuring his shoulder, then runs away.

(That isn't actually based on anything, I just made shit up to illustrate the point.)

I can say that, based on what I've seen, the general storyline doesn't suck. The movie will succeed or fail based on how they piece it all together and handle the individual scenes, and I don't know anything about that.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Dublo7 wrote:

I'm sure he's talking about the ridiculous fucking retcon wherein [spoiler:1ccd59df7a]Sandman killed Ben, rather than the guy EVERYONE FUCKING SAW DO IT in the first movie[/spoiler:1ccd59df7a]
    Okay, seriously, what the fuck?!

[spoiler:1ccd59df7a]Among other things, that means Spidey killed an innocent man.

However, I should note to whoever said it that you do NOT see the guy kill Uncle Ben, but it is stated pretty transparently by the cops who it was.[/spoiler:1ccd59df7a]

I do like that they have the belltower scene, but I'm confused as to how it can be a symbiote if it's apparently only bonded to his suit, not to his actual body.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    [spoiler:35c3193824]Among other things, that means Spidey killed an innocent man.[/spoiler:35c3193824]

[spoiler:35c3193824]i don't think spiderman killed the guy in the first movie. the guy tripped and fell. and i don't think the guy was innocent, regardless.[/spoiler:35c3193824]

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg