As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Condensation inside windows.

Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I live in a three story condo on the bottom floor in Florida. Recently I have been coming home to find that the inside of ALL of my windows are soaking wet, including part of a sliding glass door. None of my neighbors have any water on their windows. I set my a/c on heat and auto at 73 so it only runs when the temp goes below 73 inside which is not very often in the winter. Why is this happening? Is the air in my apt too humid? It was it the high 60's today outside.

What I do for a living:
Home Inspection and Wind Mitigation
http://www.FairWindInspections.com/
Liquid Hellz on

• Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    is it double pane glass?

If so there is usually an element in the middle, argon, I think. Well when windows get too old the element in the middle usually leaks out somehow. Can't remember exactly why the condensation is so prevalent, maybe the hot air trapped in between the two panes.

OK worst explanation ever so far because I can't remember exactly from the last person who told me, but the point is that your windows may be too old and need replacing now.

maybe googling old windows or window replacement and such will explain the phenomena that I can't remember.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I am not a ... whatever... but yes, that sounds like you have humidity issues. Condensation will build up when there is a temperature and humidity difference between the inside and outside. Same reason why windows fog up in the rain or snow.

See if anyone else more qualified than I comes to post. It might be worthwhile buying a de-humidifier for your condo.\

truckasaurus: Well I don't think he means the INSIDE of a double-pane window. It sounds like he just means condensation on the glass that he can touch.

JediNight on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, if he's near seawater it could've caused some nasty problems with his windows. Seawater is a pretty corrosive substance and just eats away at everything. So that could be the problem with some buildup of condensation here and there.

Probably just really fucking humid outside and not so much inside, or vice versa.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Buy a de-humidifier and you're all set.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    How often do you let fresh air in?

Like once a day it's good idea to open all windows for a period of about 5 minutes. It will replace the air and could help with the humidity?

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If I remember correctly, putting a couple of charcoal briquettes on your window sill will help soak up the moisture. I don't know how it works.

Ah, here we go:

Make a dehumidifier
    A humid closet, attic, or basement can wreak havoc on your health as well as your clothes. Get rid of all that humidity with several home-made dehumidifiers. To make one, just put some charcoal briquettes in a coffee can, punch a few holes in the lid, and place in the humid areas. Replace the charcoal every few months.

Banish bathroom moisture and odors
    Hide a few pieces of charcoal in the nooks and crannies of your bathroom to soak up moisture and cut down on unpleasant odors. Replace them every couple of months.

Keep books mold-free
    Professional librarians use charcoal to get rid of musty odors on old books. You can do the same. If your bookcase has glass doors, it may provide a damp environment that can cause must and mold. A piece of charcoal or two placed inside will help keep the books dry and mold-free.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You don't happen to work for the charcoal lobby do you? ;)

I kid. That's actually a pretty good idea.

I wouldn't be too afraid to buy an active dehumidifier either, not sure how well passively dehumidifying works via charcoal bricks.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, today before I left I put the a/c up to 74 and come home to find no water on any windows at all.

Joe Chemo - Thanks for the tip with the charcoal I will have to try that out.

truck-a-sauras -They are double pane windows.. probably a little old.

bowen - Im a few miles away from seawater.

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
    Home Inspection and Wind Mitigation
    http://www.FairWindInspections.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Close enough. You might have water damage but I doubt it. Just seems like a humidity imbalance between inside and out. Try opening your windows once or twice a day.

bowen on