As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

salvaging iTunes and iPhone apps and music

TrakkerTrakker Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I decided to wipe my mac clean and start over fresh. Time machine had backed everything up anyway, so no big deal.

Until I decided I wanted to add a song to my iPhone, and had a now blank iTunes telling me that it would wipe out all the data on the phone instead of sync the info from the phone. Guess I should have seen that coming. I'm not all that concerned with salvaging my music, but the prospect of having iTunes wipe out all the apps I have on my phone and having to download them all again seems painful and pointless.

I still have my backup drive, but I just don't really know what to do with it. Where does iTunes keep its data? Is there a way I can dive into my old hard drive and pull out the apps, or should I just bite the bullet, wipe my phone clean, and get started redownloading my apps?

Brawl Friend Code:
2105-8311-5414
Trakker on

• RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's the "library" file in your iTunes folder. Can't you do an OS install and restore your settings from a Time Machine backup? I thought that was one of the options when you install OS X.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • TrakkerTrakker Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, the migration assistant lets you do that, only I put that task off for too long and then time machine made a new backup of my comp, and now the migration assistant only wants to help me move files from the backup of my new computer, and no longer sees the old comp's backups. Which I guess is an issue for a whole other issue.

Hey, I found the itunes data. I'll try to just copy it all over and see if that does the trick.

Trakker on
    Brawl Friend Code:
    2105-8311-5414