As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dee Ehn Dee: it's dynomite!

1575859606163»

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Also, I dunno if anyone else has mentioned it, but the 4e Deluxe DM Screen is totally worth the money. That thing is fucking sweet.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Also, I dunno if anyone else has mentioned it, but the 4e Deluxe DM Screen is totally worth the money. That thing is fucking sweet.

Hell yeah, I have that. It is damn nice, though it's a shame there's errata for it.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »

Hell yeah, I have that. It is damn nice, though it's a shame there's errata for it.
    Before it came out I basically just printed out the various charts I used on a regular basis straight out of the 4e PHB and DMG and clipped them to my old DM screen. Worked out pretty well, cause I could layer them and whatnot and it only showed what I needed.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm going to be DMing a few sessions from now. I really need to work more on the adventure I want to do.

Is there any information on what's in MM2? I know the obvious answer is more monsters, but I seem to remember the previous MM sequels specializing in different types of monsters for the most part.

Demogorgon seems like a sure bet, though.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Some of the later MMs were more monster-type specific, but MM2 in 3e had a good smattering of all the different creatures. I think the later ones really had to start digging for material, so they hit up the planes and the more obscure stuff from older editions.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Some monsters were just terrible, though. I think there were flumphs, that were intelligent land-born jellyfish, or something.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I once ran a Changeling in a game where the other party members didn't realize I was the "old man in the tavern," their new elven guide, and the dwarf they hired to help them with their quest until halfway through their dungeon crawl.

Good luck trying to convince them that you're on their side after that.

I played a changeling once, a rogue "private investigator"

He is probably my best D&D character ever, he was wonderful.

He started out in the group as like a teenaged human acrobat girl from the local circus just helping them out for a bit. Most people didn't figure him out for the entirety of the first adventure, and then he started shifting forms more regularly. He was a terrible thief, and the party often cursed him out for his inability to do any standard thief things, but he could charm and bluff his way past every guard, and set up some of the most complicated bullshit using his shapechange and social skills.

Also he may or may not be immortal. He has a tendency to die, and then just claw his way back out of hell. He still shows up in our current campaign, just kinda passes through with a weird bit of advice or similar, and goes off to get murdered by the villains of the game again.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If nothing else, Eberron is fantastic for giving the world Changelings.

I was so happy to see that Dopplegangers were playable in 4e.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Question regarding D&D Insider. Do they actually send you a hard copy of Dragon and whatnot every month or is it just pdf stuff? Cause I have no need for even more magazines piling up around here and would just as soon stick with electronic.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    DE?AD wrote: »
    If nothing else, Eberron is fantastic for giving the world Changelings.

I was so happy to see that Dopplegangers were playable in 4e.

Yeah, Skaern was great. I don't know if the other characters liked him much, but I thought he was ace.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Question regarding D&D Insider. Do they actually send you a hard copy of Dragon and whatnot every month or is it just pdf stuff? Cause I have no need for even more magazines piling up around here and would just as soon stick with electronic.

The magazines are no longer in print form, it's just the pdf articles. They release new articles each week, and then collect them all as "issues" each month, for the respective titles.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A bunch of the back issues of Dungeon and Dragon pdfs are free, spanning a couple months either side of the release of 4ed, so you can check it out if you're interested.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Would it be acceptable for me to play a character in my own campaign? I was thinking about making a minotaur who had holed up in the mine's larder, waiting for rescue or to die horribly at the hands of an ugly tentacled monster.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    guys can i suggest that if there is another thread made that it is not about D&D exclusively but about tabletop RPGs in general

because i mean i am doing some pretty rad things right now i think and i would love to talk about them but they're all Storyteller system stuff, i don't really do D&D proper no mores

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Playing a character in your own campaign is fine, just don't turn him into the focus of it, which can happen unintentionally.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    guys can i suggest that if there is another thread made that it is not about D&D exclusively but about tabletop RPGs in general

because i mean i am doing some pretty rad things right now i think and i would love to talk about them but they're all Storyteller system stuff, i don't really do D&D proper no mores

I saw someone make one of these a couple days ago.

The mods shot it down pretty quick.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    that is a shame

well i'm going to yak anyway in D&D threads

it's not like i'm the only one who does it

Pony on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, Pony, we use this thread as the home base for my M&M game constantly

It'll be fine

Straightzi on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Got my PHB2, wheeee!

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Straightzi wrote: »

It'll be fine

Explain the Magic power structure to me, in great detail and how you use it, because I am wicked confused by the wording.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Straightzi wrote: »

It'll be fine

Explain the Magic power structure to me, in great detail and how you use it, because I am wicked confused by the wording.

As far as I understand it it goes like this:
    If you have magic as a power you get one power that is the same cost as the magic power itself + another power with the same cost as a powerfeat.

So if your magic power cost you 6 points you can get another power for 6 points and then another power for 6 points but then your magic power will cost 7 (Your spells can only cost as much as the magic power without powerfeats)

If I understood correctly, I haven't looked at it in a while.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Got my PHB2, wheeee!

Opinion?

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fishman wrote: »
    Got my PHB2, wheeee!

Opinion?

Worth purchasing if you don't have DDI, the racial paragon paths are very cool, the background options are neat, the Avenger and Sorcerer look extremely fun to play, really I'd say there's something in here for most any player to get excited about.

The epic destinies are kind of hit and miss, Glorious Spirit is pretty uninspiring, but Harbinger of Doom makes for awesome adventure hooks and I thought Revered One would be an excellent destiny for my paladin, or I guess any divine character not wanting to go Demigod.

They also managed to make Half-Orcs sound very fun to play, I wasn't much of a fan before but something in the way they described them makes them seem pretty noble and awesome. Devas also surprised me by not being terribly generic good guys, they have some depth to them.

If you have an up-to-date character builder though I wouldn't see the point of buying it. It's pretty much exactly what it says on the tin and that's an additional resource for making a character, albeit a rather good one.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, aside from Reaper, Rackham, and GW are there any other good mini-manufacturers?

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2009
    I almost said "yeah, whoever made your penis" and then I remembered who I was talking to

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Callius wrote: »
    So, aside from Reaper, Rackham, and GW are there any other good mini-manufacturers?
    Ironwind?

They mostly do Battletech stuff but I know they also have a fantasy section on their site.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
This discussion has been closed.