Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Not enough memory?

FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I just got the hard drive I talked about in my other thread. Windows is installed and I have my drivers updated and I thought everything was working fine until I tried to download Adobe Flashplayer and it said I don't have enough memory and to set aside 5000 KBs and try again.

What? My hard drive is new. And blank. Not sure what it's talking about.

Faynor on
do you wanna see me eat a hotdog

• FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tried everything I know how to do and it's still doing it. Halp :(

edited December 2008
    Even though it seems like I'm talking to myself here, I may have misdiagnosed the problem. I tried to install a few programs since then, and they've done fine. Why is Adobe the exception?

• pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Memory necessarily isn't the same thing as HD space. You could have all the HD space in the world and still run out of memory. What is the exact error and where/how are you downloading flash?

steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
    edited December 2008
    pacbowl wrote: »
    Memory necessarily isn't the same thing as HD space. You could have all the HD space in the world and still run out of memory. What is the exact error and where/how are you downloading flash?

From the actual site. Everything else I've installed is working fine (Even WoW, which is gigantic as compared to this I would think). When I download the executable file, and launch it, it says there isn't sufficient memory.

• ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    By exact error, he meant "do not paraphrase as 'there isn't sufficient memory'"...write the exact quote from the error box. You are illustrating right now a fundamental misconception many people still struggle with on computers. A computer has memory and storage space. Many people accidentally refer to storage space INCORRECTLY as memory.

Memory is what actually runs your programs. Your OS, your games, your network services, etc. A typical computer these days has 1-4 GB.
    Storage Space is where your mp3s, your programs not running, the data for your running programs, etc. is stored. It is very cheap, and most computers have over 100GB.

Adobe is complaining because you are out of memory. How much do you have, and what OS?

subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.
    edited December 2008
    "You do not have sufficient disk space to complete this installation. Please free 5000 KB and try again." is the exact error message.

By memory, do you mean RAM? I have 1 GB of RAM, I think. I've been meaning to get more, but regardless. Everything was working fine before I got the new hard drive. And the only program that's acting wonky (so far) is Adobe.

edited December 2008
    Go to start > run > type "dxdiag" > click "save as" > open the saved text file and post it here. Im looking specifically for pagefile and free temp space.

edited December 2008
    Spoiler:

edited December 2008
    Spoiler:

Had to put it in two posts. Is that what you wanted?

• stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Som installers try to force app installs to the C drive (default for most installations). This is most likely the issue. Do you have any memory card readers, or cdroms labeled C?

edited December 2008
    The fact that your system drive is H may have something to do with it. Flash may be hardcoded to extract itself into a C temp directory before installing and since there is no C, it's giving an error. While it shouldn't happen, I have seen funny things occur when you're not using the standard C drive letter.

edited December 2008
    I'm not sure why it did it to H. It did them automatically. So, what can I do?

• AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, you can change the primary drive from H to C in disk manager. Right click My Computer (I'm assuming this is XP), Manage, Disk Management. Right click H and choose Change Drive Letter and Path (or something like that).

Some of you other programs may wig out since they might look for stuff on an H drive that no longer exists. Personally I would reformat the thing and get shit right, but I'm kind of OCD about that stuff. You could just try switching it to C and if it breaks too much stuff switch it back to H.

I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Download the setup file to desktop if you're not already. It should also give you the chance to change the installation folder, but it doesn't sound like it is.

Spoiler:
    edited December 2008
    AtomBomb wrote: »
    Well, you can change the primary drive from H to C in disk manager. Right click My Computer (I'm assuming this is XP), Manage, Disk Management. Right click H and choose Change Drive Letter and Path (or something like that).

Some of you other programs may wig out since they might look for stuff on an H drive that no longer exists. Personally I would reformat the thing and get shit right, but I'm kind of OCD about that stuff. You could just try switching it to C and if it breaks too much stuff switch it back to H.

Yeah, I tried that. It won't let you. I found a program called Partition Magic that will, and some people say if you do a Windows Repair that makes it good as new, but I probalby should just reformat.
    Download the setup file to desktop if you're not already. It should also give you the chance to change the installation folder, but it doesn't sound like it is.

Yeah, it doesn't let you change where it goes, it just starts up and tells me fuck you. =\

• NatsusNatsus Registered User
    edited December 2008
    This may be a long shot, but are you using a MAC and running bootcamp?

If you are, update the bootcamp software... I believe it's v2.1

edited December 2008
    Natsus wrote: »
    This may be a long shot, but are you using a MAC and running bootcamp?

If you are, update the bootcamp software... I believe it's v2.1

Nope, not using a MAC!

Suppose I'll reformat tomorrow and report my findings.

• flatlinegraphicsflatlinegraphics Registered User
    edited December 2008
    is the hard drive a SATA drive? that may be what forced the H: designation. when you reformat, make sure that you name the drive C: when installing windows (when it asks where to install, and if you want to format the disk).

edited December 2008
    is the hard drive a SATA drive? that may be what forced the H: designation. when you reformat, make sure that you name the drive C: when installing windows (when it asks where to install, and if you want to format the disk).

Yeah it's SATA. Do what now?

• embrikembrik Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Are you using the download called "install_flash_player.exe"?

If you are, the thing is basically a zipfile w/ an exe extension. You can manually extract the files and installer with 7Zip, Winrar, etc. Then you can run the real install from wherever.

"Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • flatlinegraphicsflatlinegraphics Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Faynor wrote: »

Yeah it's SATA. Do what now?

its been awhile since my last clean install, so i'm going by memory..
    when windows installer asks where to install the system, it should give you a list of drives and their formatting info. f8 (i think) will format the disk, and you should be given the option to label the disk then. (options should be listed on the bottom of the screen)

also, if you are planning a reformat/reinstall, try this knowledgebase article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188/EN-US/
    this may fuck things up if it doesn;t work, but if you are going to reformat anyway......