As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anyone experienced with Excel macros?

Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer NipplesThe EchidnaRegistered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Incredibly specific question gooo!

So I'm wondering if someone knows how to form an Excel macro that will insert a specific character combination (#n) after a certain number of letters (43) in a cell. The catch is, it can't dissect a word that's already there, so if character 43 isn't a space it has to backtrack to find the nearest space.

Basically, the #n is creating a carriage return in the text, dividing it into 3 separate lines (for a Japanese game programmer, I dunno if that's common). I can go through ~20k lines and do it myself, but it's gonna take balls long, and I was hoping there might be a faster way. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Houk the Namebringer on

• Options
    capnricocapnrico Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Unfortunately, I don't think the "if in the middle of a word, backtrack to the previous space" bit is possible with Excel macros.

capnrico on
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    capnrico wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I don't think the "if in the middle of a word, backtrack to the previous space" bit is possible with Excel macros.

Actually, the way the OP wrote it, it's just a matter of finding the "last space" in a set of 43 characters. The logic is start at the last character and worked backwards until you find the space, then insert the #n.

I assume you have a column of cells containing 43 characters each? If so, the logic would follow:

(Pseudo-code)
    length = length of string (43)

for (int i = length; i > 0; i--)
       if InStr at i returns > 0 when searching for a space, a space was found at position i in the string (break loop, keep value of i)
       (otherwise keep looping)

The value of i gives us the position of the last space, so then we can break the string at i and insert our #n

If you're not a programmer and don't know how a for loop works let me know. I thought about writing a macro for you but I'm too out of touch with VBA :P

Seguer on
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Houk wrote: »
    Incredibly specific question gooo!

So I'm wondering if someone knows how to form an Excel macro that will insert a specific character combination (#n) after a certain number of letters (43) in a cell. The catch is, it can't dissect a word that's already there, so if character 43 isn't a space it has to backtrack to find the nearest space.

It sounds a bit to me like what you have is not really an Excel-file that needs to be handled but perhaps simply a list which needs to broken down into a list with items separated by line changes?

Is the file actually in Excel format or is it just really a file that for some reasons is opened by Excel. If it's the later you might have an easier time opening in something like Textpad (Advanced shareware text editor) and then solve you need by using it's advance search&replace function.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Does it need to be a macro?

Will it always have at least one space in the first 43 characters?

If you're happy to accept cell formulas and can guarantee that there's at least one space in the first 43 characters, then I think it might be possible by doing some trickery using stuff from here and a few formulas in adjacent cells.

In fact, I've whipped a quick demo up with the formulas here.

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Seguer wrote: »
    capnrico wrote: »

Actually, the way the OP wrote it, it's just a matter of finding the "last space" in a set of 43 characters. The logic is start at the last character and worked backwards until you find the space, then insert the #n.

I assume you have a column of cells containing 43 characters each? If so, the logic would follow:

(Pseudo-code)
    length = length of string (43)

for (int i = length; i > 0; i--)
       if InStr at i returns > 0 when searching for a space, a space was found at position i in the string (break loop, keep value of i)
       (otherwise keep looping)

The value of i gives us the position of the last space, so then we can break the string at i and insert our #n

If you're not a programmer and don't know how a for loop works let me know. I thought about writing a macro for you but I'm too out of touch with VBA :P

Your technique is correct but implementation depends on how his data is arranged in the spreadsheet.

OP, you need to explain more about the structure of the data in your Excel file. Is it 20,000 rows of text in column A? Or is all of the text in cell A1? Or what's the situation there?

If you can tell me how the text is laid out I can whip this up for you super quick.

Actually, fuck it. Here's VBA code that should probably run (on a mac without office, too lazy to google all of my syntax, pretty sure it's good though just tell me if you get errors and on which line and I'll figure it out as we go).

This is what you'd need to do to insert as many #n's as necessary for a string of whatever length is encountered.

The only substitutions you need to make are on the line that starts out with apostrophe. Remove the apostrophe and set the variable there to be equal to whatever it needs to equal. If the text is in cell A1, the easiest way to reference that is "activesheet.range("A1").value", but if you have a whole column full of cells that have text in them of varying lengths, we need to wrap a loop around the entire snippet below.

If that is the case, let me know which column the data will be in and I'll do the rest.
    Dim length as long, str1 as string, i as long, anchor as long, limit as long

'str1 = original text
    length = len(str1)
    i = 1
    anchor = 1
    limit = 43

do while (i + 43 < length)
    do while (i < limit)

if mid(str1,i,1) = " " then
    anchor = i
    end if

i = i + 1
    loop

if mid(str1,i,1) = " " then
    str1 = left(str1,i) & "#n" & right(str1,len(str1)-i)
    limit = i + 43
    anchor = i
    else
    str1 = left(str1,anchor) & "#n" & right(str1,len(str1)-anchor)
    limit = anchor + 43
    i = anchor
    end if

loop

So what we do here is loop until the current position in the text exceeds the length of the text.
    Then we enter into a loop that we follow until we hit the predefined limit (43 in this case)

While in the inner loop, we look for space characters and each time we find one, we place an anchor on it.

After we've run up to the limit of 43 characters we check whether the character we're on is a space character or not. If it is, then we insert the #n where we are. If it's not, we insert the #n back where our anchor is (the last space we'd encountered).

Then we take where ever we put our #n, and count 43 characters out from there and define that as our next limit, and repeat the inner loop and subsequent #n insertion check.

We keep doing these things until we've gotten to the point where 43 characters further would place us beyond the end of the text, and at that point skip out of the loops.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Also note that if you work for a dev (and we both know you do) you probably have access to someone who could whip up this same code, using what I gave as a model to save time explaining yourself, using a far quicker option.

If you were to do this with a text file and write the code in a real programming language rather than an embedded macro language you would find that the code executes about a million times faster. I work with a lot of VBA code written to automate spreadsheet tasks and to assemble reports and things and stuff like the project you're looking at tends to run very slowly in VBA.

Of course, if it takes half an hour to run in VBA and would only take 3 minutes to run in C++, either are pretty shit hot options to spending 3 weeks doing it by hand.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is a more "appropriate" method in my opinion. I just wrote it IN Excel to make sure it works, and it does.

This performs on the active cell (i.e. wherever your cursor is) but it can be automated to loop through an entire column if that's better.
    Sub Insert_Stuff_At_43rd_Character()
        Dim str_CellString As String
        Dim rng_Cell As Range
        Dim iChar As Integer

Const str_TextToInsert As String = "MOOGLYBOOGLY"

Set rng_Cell = ActiveCell

str_CellString = rng_Cell.Value
        If Len(str_CellString) < 43 Then
            rng_Cell.Value = str_CellString & " " & str_TextToInsert
            Exit Sub
        End If
        If Mid(str_CellString, 43, 1) = " " Then
            rng_Cell.Value = Left(str_CellString, 43) & str_TextToInsert & " " & Right(str_CellString, Len(str_CellString) - 43)
            Exit Sub
        End If
        If Mid(str_CellString, 43, 1) <> " " Then
            iChar = InStrRev(str_CellString, " ", 43)
            rng_Cell.Value = Left(str_CellString, iChar) & str_TextToInsert & " " & Right(str_CellString, Len(str_CellString) - iChar)
            Exit Sub
        End If
    End Sub

Personally, I prefer to nest my IF statements. And the "Exit Sub" lines are wholly unnecessary. I wrote it this way so it's easier for you to read and process. A more concise method would be:
    Sub Insert_Stuff_At_43rd_Character_Concise()
        Dim rng_Cell As Range
        Dim iChar As Integer

Const str_TextToInsert As String = "MOOGLYBOOGLY"

Set rng_Cell = ActiveCell

str_CellString = rng_Cell.Value
        If Len(str_CellString) < 43 Then
            rng_Cell.Value = str_CellString & " " & str_TextToInsert
        Else
                rng_Cell.Value = Left(str_CellString, 43) & str_TextToInsert & " " & Right(str_CellString, Len(str_CellString) - 43)
            Else
                    rng_Cell.Value = Left(str_CellString, iChar) & str_TextToInsert & " " & Right(str_CellString, Len(str_CellString) - iChar)
                End If
            End If
        End If
    End Sub

But they both do the same thing.

And of course you should change "MOOGLYBOOGLY" to whatever text you want to insert. The code above also assumes you want a space before and after the inserted text.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The process is basically to look at the value of the active cell and do the following:

First, determine if the string is less than 43 characters long. If so, add a space, append the text to the cell, and exit the macro.

Second, determine if the 43rd character is a space. If so, append the text at the 43rd character in the cell, add a space, and exit the macro.

Third, verify that the 43rd character is not a space (not entirely necessary at this point but it's good practice to check anyway). If so, use the InStrRev function to find the most recent previous space (starting at the 43rd character and looking backward), append the text at this location, add a space, and exit the macro.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Sorry, I just noticed you want a carriage return. That's easy enough. Is #n something that you are using in another interpreter? The carriage return in Excel is vbCr or Chr(13). If the former, just change the constant TextToInsert to vbCr and change the & " " & to &. If the latter, just change it to #n and change the & " " & to &.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Okay, Houk, I believe this is what you want:
    Sub Insert_Stuff_At_43rd_Character_Loop()
        Dim iChar, iRow, iLastRow As Integer

Const str_TextToInsert As String = "#n" 'this is the text that will be inserted at the 43rd character
        Const iColumn As Integer = 1 'this is the column in which your text resides, change it as necessary

iLastRow = Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row

For iRow = 1 To iLastRow
            str_CellString = Cells(iRow, iColumn).Value
            If Len(str_CellString) > 43 Then
                    Cells(iRow, iColumn).Value = Left(str_CellString, 43) & str_TextToInsert & Right(str_CellString, Len(str_CellString) - 43)
                Else
                        Cells(iRow, iColumn).Value = Left(str_CellString, iChar) & str_TextToInsert & Right(str_CellString, Len(str_CellString) - iChar)
                    End If
                End If
            End If
        Next iRow
    End Sub

Drez on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sorry, I guess I should have provided more detail. I whipped this up as my eyes were ready to bleed out of their sockets, so I sorta glossed over it.

First of all, this is an actual Excel file. I do localization for a game company, and the Japanese developer sent us this Excel with all the game text in it. So basically, each cell is a box of dialogue in the game. There's about 8500 separate cells, and each cell can have up to 3 line breaks (#n) to appear properly in the game. The max character limit for each line is 42 characters, so only if the 43rd character is a space can there be a break; otherwise, it has to break before that basically.

I don't know what voodoo the Japanese devs do with the Excel file when we send it to them, but it's our job to insert the line breaks ourselves. I probably didn't explain this very well because I have absolutely no programming/formula skill or anything. I'm gonna dive into a few of these formulas and see what happens. Thanks for the help!

Edit: I just realized another hitch that probably throws everything out of whack. Each individual cell will contain up to 3 42-character length lines of text, so after the #n is inserted there can still be more text after that that needs another #n. Hrrrmm...

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Edit: I just realized another hitch that probably throws everything out of whack. Each individual cell will contain up to 3 42-character length lines of text, so after the #n is inserted there can still be more text after that that needs another #n. Hrrrmm...

Well, we can work with that. Did the formula in the cells work for you? Or did the macros work better?

I'll update my formulas to do what you want if you want, gimme a few minutes.

Edit: Here you go. Reformatted the spreadsheet so that it handles up to 3 42-character length lines.

If you're happy to use formulas and cells, just copy the equations from the line highlighted in purple into your spreadsheet from here, and then copy down the columns.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pplXt6VPMU-mOb5CjM3voGw

I've got it so that it throws you an error in the final column (highlighted grey) if it:
    1.) Cannot find a space within 43 characters
    2.) The last line can't fit into 42 characters

What do you want to happen when a line fits into less than 43 characters?

e.g. see the "This is short." line

Did you want your output to go:

"This is short.#n"

or

"This is short.#n#n#n"

?

Edit2: At this stage, it might be getting too complicated for formulas, and if the problem got any more complex it would probably be best handled via Excel macros. I don't actually have Excel on this machine, so I shall leave it to the fine minds of Pheezer and Drez to do the equivalent solution.

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The macro I gave addresses a single cell with an unknown amount of text that could require thousands of #n's if necessary. Looping it across a range is trivial. If I'm understanding Drez correctly his would accomplish the same.

Since Drez actually has excel installed, I'd ask that he take a cut at it.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I hate to say this guys, but I'm sick, just woke up, am getting dragged out to Christmas Eve dinner, and won't be around until Friday afternoon/night as I'm going away tomorrow.

If somehow I get a chance to respond, I will, but please don't count on me. What you want to do though, Houk, is certainly doable.

Drez on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sorry guys, I meant to try this stuff out earlier but things got pretty busy at work. I might have to leave this for later during xmas break (no hurry on this since the files aren't due till after the new year). But I'm sure something here should work.

Ecco - ideally, if the total line is shorter than 43 characters it would just leave off the #n completely, but since that shouldn't affect the text in the final game, it doesn't really matter.

Thanks a ton for the help guys, sorry I can't validate your input faster :(

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ecco - ideally, if the total line is shorter than 43 characters it would just leave off the #n completely, but since that shouldn't affect the text in the final game, it doesn't really matter.

Done and done.
    Thanks a ton for the help guys, sorry I can't validate your input faster :(

No worries. Merry Christmas! =)

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Sorry, I guess I should have provided more detail. I whipped this up as my eyes were ready to bleed out of their sockets, so I sorta glossed over it.

First of all, this is an actual Excel file. I do localization for a game company, and the Japanese developer sent us this Excel with all the game text in it. So basically, each cell is a box of dialogue in the game. There's about 8500 separate cells, and each cell can have up to 3 line breaks (#n) to appear properly in the game. The max character limit for each line is 42 characters, so only if the 43rd character is a space can there be a break; otherwise, it has to break before that basically.

I don't know what voodoo the Japanese devs do with the Excel file when we send it to them, but it's our job to insert the line breaks ourselves. I probably didn't explain this very well because I have absolutely no programming/formula skill or anything. I'm gonna dive into a few of these formulas and see what happens. Thanks for the help!

So what you're saying is this: The text in each of the 8,500 cells comes in a single line with no carriage return within the cell either, right? I mean it's a continous string within the cell itself?

And the string can be a maximum of 42 + 42 + 42 characters (which includes punctuation and spaces, but NOT the #n newline character, yes?

And are all the cells in a single column? If so that's very easy to do.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm also assuming that if the 43rd and 85th characters are spaces, you want to truncate the space. In other words, you don't want the new line to begin with a space (and you don't want the end of the last line to end with a space), correct?

So in other words:

Hi, how are you doing today my friend? The character before the word character was a space.

Should become:

Hi, how are you doing today my friend? The#ncharacter before the word character was a#nspace.

Right?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    This should do exactly what you need:
    Sub Insert_Stuff_At_43rd_Character_Loop_2()

Const str_TextToInsert As String = "#n" 'this is the text that will be inserted at the 43rd character
        Const iColumn As Integer = 1 'this is the column in which your text resides, change it as necessary

For iRow = 1 To iLastRow
            If Len(str_CellString) > 42 Then
                    Cells(iRow, iColumn).Value = Left(str_CellString, 42) & str_TextToInsert & Right(str_CellString, Len(str_CellString) - 43)
                Else
                        Cells(iRow, iColumn).Value = Left(str_CellString, iChar) & str_TextToInsert & Right(str_CellString, Len(str_CellString) - iChar)
                    End If
                End If
                If Len(str_CellString) > 85 Then
                    If Mid(str_CellString, 86, 1) = " " Then
                        Cells(iRow, iColumn).Value = Left(str_CellString, 85) & str_TextToInsert & Right(str_CellString, Len(str_CellString) - 86)
                    Else
                        If Mid(str_CellString, 86, 1) <> " " Then
                            iChar = InStrRev(str_CellString, " ", 86)
                        End If
                    End If
                End If
            End If
        Next iRow
    End Sub

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Drez, you've got it all completely right. Although the space before/after the #n is easy to kill with a mass find/replace anyway.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    man you guys are utterly badass. im working on other stuff at work right now, but ill probably give this a try later tonight when im busting my ass...at home...on christmas eve.

edit: oops, dunno why i double-posted instead of editing. oh well, that's how awesome you are!

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Had a slight bug. It wasn't deleting the space if the 85th character fell on something other than a space. The following works:
    Sub Insert_Stuff_At_43rd_Character_Loop_2()

For iRow = 1 To iLastRow
                    Cells(iRow, iColumn).Value = Left(str_CellString, 42) & str_TextToInsert & Right(str_CellString, Len(str_CellString) - 43)
                Else
                        Cells(iRow, iColumn).Value = Left(str_CellString, iChar - 1) & str_TextToInsert & Right(str_CellString, Len(str_CellString) - iChar)
                    End If
                End If
                If Len(str_CellString) > 85 Then
                    If Mid(str_CellString, 86, 1) = " " Then
                        Cells(iRow, iColumn).Value = Left(str_CellString, 85) & str_TextToInsert & Right(str_CellString, Len(str_CellString) - 86)
                    Else
                        If Mid(str_CellString, 86, 1) <> " " Then
                            iChar = InStrRev(str_CellString, " ", 86)
                            Cells(iRow, iColumn).Value = Left(str_CellString, iChar - 1) & str_TextToInsert & Right(str_CellString, Len(str_CellString) - iChar)
                        End If
                    End If
                End If
            End If
        Next iRow
    End Sub

Just plop it into the VBE in Excel and you're good to go.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    jesus christ in a picnic basket, damn thing works like a charm.

for some reason i have no idea why, the macro doesnt work when i swap out the column number 1 (column a) with column number 9 (column i, where the text is). but it DOES work with the default setting, so all i have to do is copy the I column into the A column of another sheet, run the macro, and copy it back

this is fucking aces

just for kicks ill probably play around with the other macros/formulas posted here to see how they go, but man...

Seriously Drez, you just saved me about 25 hours on this project alone, not to mention the uncountable hours on future projects. you are da man

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Houk, ONE SLIGHT PROBLEM.

Give me a few minutes.

The problem is this: Currently the code may allow a second line of greater than 42 characters. It's a slight math problem. Hold on.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    My solution doesn't allow for that at all :P

Pheezer on
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just got done testing and was totally going to nail you for that... I'm just not fast enough today I guess. Good catch.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Jobastion wrote: »
    I just got done testing and was totally going to nail you for that... I'm just not fast enough today I guess. Good catch.

H/A : We have a crack team of programmers, debuggers, and testers on call, 24/7, 365 days of the year? :P

Hahaha, oh man.

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Pheezer wrote: »
    Also note that if you work for a dev (and we both know you do) you probably have access to someone who could whip up this same code, using what I gave as a model to save time explaining yourself, using a far quicker option.

If you were to do this with a text file and write the code in a real programming language rather than an embedded macro language you would find that the code executes about a million times faster. I work with a lot of VBA code written to automate spreadsheet tasks and to assemble reports and things and stuff like the project you're looking at tends to run very slowly in VBA.

Of course, if it takes half an hour to run in VBA and would only take 3 minutes to run in C++, either are pretty shit hot options to spending 3 weeks doing it by hand.
    Oh and I missed this. The problem is that all the dev work goes on over in Japan, all we have in-house is tertiary stuff (producers, production staff, etc). And for the most part, it seems like Japan is pretty slow/ineffecient at getting stuff like this done.

Honestly I would kill to have a better option than doing all this in Excel and relying on macro stuff, but sadly that's not an option with the way they operate here. We actually shot them an e-mail yesterday morning before I posted this, but I'm pretty sure they're actually off for the rest of the year, so we never would have heard anything back.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    That's a shame. Of course, job security, right?

Drez, I don't know if this helps you or not but look at how I avoided ever having a string longer than 43 characters. When I have to insert a break based on the presence of a prior space instead of the current one, I look at the character position that break is at, and set my next limit point at that + 43.

To get it to work correctly for houk I'd have to fix it in light of more recent info he's provided, but it sounds like you're closer to getting it finished anyhow and I suspect your version will run faster than my nested loops.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    oh on the topic of speed, drez's macro ran through ~5k completed lines in a couple seconds, so on that end it's definitely very nice.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah then I know it's way faster than mine. Iteration and decision making are horribly slow in VBA, the provided functions are way, way faster because they're running compiled code from within Excel rather than interpreting mountains of VBA.

I'm somewhat stoked to learn about instrrev, though. I didn't know about that one. I guess it's somewhat limited in application, but still cool to know.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Actually I use InStrRev so often in my job. I'd say 80% of my macros that require string manipulation - even Access macros - use InStrRev.

I'm also a fan of using Regular Expressions but it's just easier to go this route.

Houk, I'm on the track. Worst case scenario is I have the foolproof solution for you early tomorrow. I have one procedural thing to puzzle out.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    See, I'm lucky: All of the data I have to manipulate comes from an Oracle database that enforces all manner of strict formatting rules on the shit stored in it. Nothing I do requires finding anything within a string, it's all about quantifying and categorizing data that's been at least halfway sanitized to begin with.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    So I don't see a fixed formula. So I fixed it for Drez, and added a feature from Pheezers code.

This will replace the space with the page break #n, instead of leaving the space in the code. (I can change that if needed.)
    It will error check the lenght after the second #n, so if you have a line that is properly broken into 3 segments, and the last segment turns out to be greater than 42 characters long it will both highlight the row, and add a line in the column directly to the right of it that says "Last line is greater than 42."

You can delete or change that as you will, it is one of the last lines in the code.
    Sub Insert_Stuff_At_43rd_Character_Loop_Edited()
        Dim str_CellString, str_CellSubString, str_CellCheckString As String

For iRow = 1 To iLastRow
                Else
                    End If
                End If
                If Len(str_CellString) - (InStrRev(str_CellString, "#n") + 1) > 42 Then
                    str_CellSubString = Application.WorksheetFunction.Replace(str_CellString, 1, InStrRev(str_CellString, "#n") + 1, "")
                        If Mid(str_CellSubString, 43, 1) = " " Then
                            Cells(iRow, iColumn).Value = Left(str_CellString, (InStrRev(str_CellString, "#n") + 1)) & Left(str_CellSubString, 42) & str_TextToInsert & Right(str_CellSubString, Len(str_CellSubString) - 43)
                        Else
                            If Mid(str_CellSubString, 43, 1) <> " " Then
                                iChar = InStrRev(str_CellSubString, " ", 43)
                                Cells(iRow, iColumn).Value = Left(str_CellString, (InStrRev(str_CellString, "#n") + 1)) & Left(str_CellSubString, iChar - 1) & str_TextToInsert & Right(str_CellSubString, Len(str_CellSubString) - iChar)
                        End If
                    End If
                End If
            End If
            str_CellCheckString = Application.WorksheetFunction.Replace(str_CellString, 1, InStrRev(str_CellString, "#n") + 1, "")
            If Len(str_CellCheckString) > 42 Then
                Cells(iRow, iColumn).Interior.ColorIndex = 36
                Cells(iRow, iColumn + 1).Value = "Last line is greater than 42."
            End If
        Next iRow
    End Sub

And it does about 1000 lines a second on my peeetiful PC.

Jobastion on
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Okay, great, I was going to work on this but I've been a lot busier than I thought. Thanks Job.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Holy thread camping Drez. Fess up. You were just hiding until someone did it for you, weren't you? :P

Jobastion on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Jobastion wrote: »
    Holy thread camping Drez. Fess up. You were just hiding until someone did it for you, weren't you? :P

Nope, I just happened to be posting in H/A about New York State auditing me and trying to fuck me out of thousands of dollars at the same time this bumped up.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I see that thread, and ouch. As a not tax expert, nor a livin in NY persona, I'mma just stay here in this thread, where its safe. Best o luck with that.

Jobastion on