As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Multiwinia = Total War + Tron (NSF56K)

FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
Multiwinia+Darwinia is now selling for 7.49! It can't get any lower than that. Games like this tend to get lost in the holiday shuffle so I decided to bring my launch thread over to help spread the word. I always go out of my way to support indie devs so please check the game out.

dar2.jpg

dar1.jpg

4-1.jpg

17.jpg

19-1.jpg

2.jpg

13.jpg

Website Quotes

Welcome to Multiwinia: Survival of the Flattest – the ultimate retro-arcade multiplayer experience! Choose from a selection of six hilariously fun, action-packed game modes, set in one of the most beautiful game environs you will ever set eyes on.

Challenge your opponent to a game of stick-man slaughter, and watch digital-war unfold, as your Multiwinian army struggles to complete a chosen task faster and better than your rival’s. It’s fast, it’s furious, and only the flattest will survive!

So what is this game about?
It is an action RTS in the vein of Syndicate, Cannon Fodder or Herzog Zwei. You have direct control over a squad and indirect control over the legions of Darwinians. The first title was focused on single player puzzle solving but this one is all about multiplayer action.

Modes:

Assault- One team defends a heavily guarded bomb that will explode within a set time period, whilst the other team must attack and try to capture and destroy the bomb before it detonates.

Assault

Rocket Riot- Each team has a giant rocket, and in order to win you must refuel and occupy the rocket, and perform a successful launch before your rivals get the same idea. At any point during these phases the rocket is extremely vulnerable to explosions so you need to watch out for attacking enemy armies at all moments!

Rocket Riot

Capture The Statue- Capture the statues dotted around the maps with your herds of Multiwinians and bring them back to your home base in order to score points!

Capture the Statue

King of the Hill- Capture more spawn points to grow your army quickly. Capture King of the Hill Zones to start scoring points. Capture crates for powerups.

King of the Hill

Domination- Fight your enemies for control of spawn points dotted around the map. The more spawn points you capture, the bigger your army grows and the greater the chance of victory…spawn and conquer!

Domination

Blitzkrieg- You start with a ‘home’ flag and your aim is to capture all the flags which link your own home flag to your opponent’s home flag. If you manage to capture your enemy’s home flag, whilst successfully defending your own, then you win the game. With massive gun defences surrounding your home flag and continual reinforcements to your Multiwinia army, flag sites quickly become areas of chaos and carnage!

Blitzkrieg

Unit Types

Spawn Points
Build your Multiwinian army by capturing the various spawn points dotted around the map in order to create new Multiwinians. Spawn points can be won from your enemies. This can be done by killing their Multiwinians that are currently controlling the building, and then occupying them with your own. Spawn and conquer!

Trunk Port
Trunk Ports are gateways to other parts of the Darwinian world. In some modes trunk ports are purely decorative. In others they can spawn Multiwinians at a regular rate to reinforce your army in Assault, Rocket Riot and Blitzkrieg.

Officers
Elect one of your Multiwinians to role of officer by selecting him with the right mouse button.Officers can move your Multiwinians into formation mode to present a more formidable attacking force to the enemy. Officers can also order Multiwinians
to move to a certain location.

Crate power-ups
Capture the crates that randomly fall from the sky by surrounding the area with your Multiwinians in order to harness the special power-ups they contain! They could contain something useful to help you beat the enemy e.g. an Air Strike or Gun Turret. But be warned… they might also contain something unpredictably destructive…

Armour
Use armour to transport up to 100 Multiwinians quickly and easily across the map. They are great for going across steep mountainous terrain with ease, and can go across water too! Armours are vulnerable to attack and a severely damaged armour will start to flicker before being destroyed.

Gun Turrets
Gun Turrets are stationary platforms that spit out a variety of deaths at the Multiwinians. They come in 3 flavours: Regular, Flame and Rocket. While they vary in range and firing rate they are all a formidable force to be reckoned with.

Where can I get this?
Introversion's Store
Steam

Update

Ambx support has been added in the latest patch. Information here

FreddyD on

• Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I already bought Darwinia once.

I think I need to buy it again.

Tig on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I picked up the demo of Multiwinia just before I headed to work and had a pretty enjoyable time. But it's been an awful long time since I've played an RTS, so I think I'll need to put in a bit more time into the demo to see if it's worth the purchase. Is Darwinia pretty much the same?

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    TeeMan wrote: »
    I picked up the demo of Multiwinia just before I headed to work and had a pretty enjoyable time. But it's been an awful long time since I've played an RTS, so I think I'll need to put in a bit more time into the demo to see if it's worth the purchase. Is Darwinia pretty much the same?
    Darwinia is paced more like a puzzle game than a chaotic free for all. Think Lemmings and Cannon Fodder. Darwinia is also entirely single player with no skirmish mode that I'm aware of.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm bumping this thread one last time for the last minute Steam shoppers. This thread has been rather quiet so far, so I'm hoping the game gets more buzz when Darwinia+ is released on XBLA early this year.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I already bought Darwinia due merely to indie cred, but have not played it yet. I'm not sure what's holding me back. Maybe that I usually feel like strategy games require a big investment before they start returning the fun. Is that the case with this game, or am I off base placing my genre assumptions on Darwinia?

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    I already bought Darwinia due merely to indie cred, but have not played it yet. I'm not sure what's holding me back. Maybe that I usually feel like strategy games require a big investment before they start returning the fun. Is that the case with this game, or am I off base placing my genre assumptions on Darwinia?
    I get what you're saying. Some titles have a period where you feel useless until you learn how to play, and it makes you want to stick to games you're already familiar with (which is partly why my backlog is so large). But I wouldn't worry about it for Multiwinia. It's pretty lightweight, even compared to Darwinia, and you should be able to figure it out in the first 5 minutes if you've played an RTS before. It's straight up point and click, with a few simple commands like formations and waypoints.

There are also playable tutorials that will walk you through all the concepts. Skirmish mode is another good way to practice.

FreddyD on