As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

applying to a job knowing I'll leave soon

spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'll put the TLDR up here: I want to apply for a job, but I will be joining the Peace Corps in 8 months. Do I tell the place I am applying to that I will be leaving the country?

And for the full story:

For the past year I have been in the process of applying for the Peace Corps. Initially I was nominated to serve so that I would leave in January '09. Since I graduated college last June, I have no had a steady job or career. So I have been working as a substitute teacher, and on days I do not teach I work at a local factory (they are very flexible with my hours and let me come in as needed). Between these two jobs I have been able to make student loan payments and keep myself busy until I thought I would be leaving in January.

I am currently in the very final stages of the peace corps application process, and as of a few weeks ago my Peace Corps placement officer informed me that my nomination slot for January '09 has been filled by someone else, however I was also told that with almost complete certainty I would receive an invitation to serve in August '09. I am excited that I will be serving in the future, however since it is not as soon as I initially expected I need to now find a new job. I cannot work more than 90 days in a given school district as a substitute teacher in Illinois. And quite frankly, the factory job sucks (the only reason I'm making more money there now than I was when I was 17 is because minimum wage has gone up).

So, in light of the current situation I've decided to find a new job until I leave for the Caribbean in late August. I am currently living in my parents basement (har har) and am desperate to move out. My sister recommended I move down to Kansas City near her and her husband just so I could get away from home. Looking for a job, today I found an opening that is perfect for me, and is in the field of working with at-risk youth (which is exactly what I will be doing in Peace Corps).

So now my predicament is that if I decide to apply to this place, do I tell them that I am leaving the country in 8 months? I think the advantage would be in saying I was nominated to serve in the Peace Corps working with at-risk youth. However who wants to hire someone knowing they will be leaving shortly?

any suggestions or advice?

test.jpg
spacerobot on

• supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You need to be up front about it. Hiring people can be very expensive for many businesses, both in terms of hiring someone and having the staff doing the hiring distracted from other work. It’s unethical to take a long-term job while secretly planning to leave in less than a year. And given the current state of the economy, it’s also a really shitty thing to do.

supabeast on
  • LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you think they're looking for a long term employee, don't tell them. I wouldn't hire someone knowing they'd be leaving in a few months. Not worth the costs of training. However if you think this company is use to people coming and going, then yeah, let them know.

Some places know they're just a stepping stone for people who are looking for bigger and better things and they want people who are interested in that field or industry since you'll be enthusiastic and a hard worker while you're there. Others want to train people with the hopes that they'll be there for life.

Lail on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Get a job waiting tables. It basically makes you an entirely disposable person to the company, so no hard feelings when you leave, but you can still make a decent amount of money with tips. Probably just as much as substitute teaching I would imagine.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't think you have any obligation to tell them, but realize that when they find out you're leaving, you may burn them as a reference. Also, if they find out before you're ready to leave that you will be going, be prepared to be stuck with busywork or fired before you're ready.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Raziel078Raziel078 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Normally I would recommend not telling them but, yeah since its a place about working with at risk kids. I would tell them. Wait tables, its easy you make decent money and you get the chance to make out with waitresses.

Raziel078 on
    I would like to put something clever and about me but I fear my company will find it
  • MurphysParadoxMurphysParadox Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    How long will you be with the Peace Corps? It may be possible to work something out with this company such that you will go to them first for some amount of job time after your service. Obviously they wouldn't have to hold a position open for you and you wouldn't be paid by them, but they may like the idea that you would sign on for a year or so after your tour.

My sister-in-law had the same thing with a business she worked for - she started working and then shortly afterward got officially accepted to do her masters abroad at Cambridge (she knew it was 85% certain when she got the job). The company was OK with it so long as she checked back with them afterward. She is now done with her masters and back with the company. Your milage may, as they say, vary.

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Getting a job for 8 months and then quitting is not a big deal, unless you're jumping into some career type job where they expect you to stick around for a while. What seems like it will be a much larger problem (from my standpoint) is getting that apartment with only a 6 month, or month to month lease. Those are hard to find where I am at least.

NotYou on
  • spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The way the job was described, it does not seem like a career... perhaps something to push into a career. Also considering the pay isn't that great (10-12 /hour) However, a good point was made about telling them since I'll be working with at-risk youth. It seems like that could be pretty important if I create relationships with the children then just end up leaving.

spacerobot on
    test.jpg
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I guess - i'm sure people leave a $10-12/hr job all the time when something better comes along. I wouldn't worry about it, and I wouldn't tell your employer you're leaving.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yea, that sounds like a low paying, short term type job. I bet it's rare for most people to last over a year in that sort of job. And 8 months is not a short amount of time somewhere. Most jobs I've held have been well under a year. Just give your boss a month's notice when you're going to leave.

NotYou on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I say definitely don't tell them, especially with the economy the way it is where people are competing for jobs. There will be other people who are just as qualified as you who will be willing to work longer, and they will hire them instead.

Give them the requisite notice to quit once you get the job. You honestly don't know owe them more than that.

Asiina on