As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vista. And networking. AGAIN.

RohanRohan Registered User regular
This has to be my 22nd or something post about networking in Vista. I just can't wrap my head around it. In XP, all you had to do was install the IPX protocol, go through the network setup wizard and create a network. Bingo. Vista's networking features, however, seem to have been designed by the biggest fucking muppets Microsoft could find to hire. Look at the Network and Sharing Center. Oh look, I have a choice of public or private networking - better go with public in order to avoid having to set permissions for every folder that we want to share. Oops, no, private networking is actually what I want, whereas public networking is a security-filled nightmare.

Or how about the network map? That would come in handy, I thought to myself. But no. Instead of being, you know, an ACTUAL NETWORK MAP, it is only a map in relation to how the computer I am using connects to the 'net. Brilliant. Is there some network wizard I can just start and go through and then change settings after it's done to just get it working properly like it did in XP? No. No, that'd be too easy.

Every now and then, Vista likes to kick me in the nutsack and just destroy the network. How about that issue I had last month when I tried to copy files across it and watched as the speed reduced until it told me that the source file(s) was no longer available? I asked about that in roughly four different forums, this one included, and nobody had a clue. Or how about now, when after NOTHING AT ALL HAS CHANGED ANYWHERE AT ANY TIME, Vista suddenly won't allow me access to files on the media pc over the wireless connection on my laptop. Just this morning I was watching some Robot Chicken across that connection. As I went to bed an hour ago I decided I wanted to watch a film, hey presto, the Films, TV Shows and Music folders that I meticulously set up on the media pc are no longer accessible and Vista wants me to go fuck myself.

The Public folder is accessible on the media pc but not the aforementioned folders. I set folder permissions for guests to be co-owners on all three folders a few months back and it has been working all this time, but just when I want to fall asleep while watching Dark Crystal or something, Vista decides to have a hissy fit and screw with the network yet again. For the love of all that is holy, what do I have to do to setup a network between Vista machines, and not have Vista fuck it up every now and then for the hell of it? I use Vista now on all my machines - desktop, laptop and media pc, and as an OS I think it's a great improvement on XP, so much that I couldn't go back now if I tried. But Vista is a fickle bitch when it comes to networking and it's starting to feel like Microsoft has decided to pick on me or something.

Sorry for the anger, but it's very late, I'm tired and all I wanted to do was watch a film across the network. Why can't the technology do what it's designed to do reliably?

...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
Rohan on

• Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MS removed IPX in Vista as well as TCP/IP over Firewire.

Dark Shroud on
  • KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Be pissed at Microsoft for pushing standards designed with a very limited scope in mind when it comes to networking because "the internet is just a passing fad." IPX/SPX lost to TCP/IP and NetBIOS/NetBEUI just needs to die already. You may never be in a position to appreciate the win and awesome that is TCP/IP but it's what makes the internet go-'round.
    Bill gates said that.

Krikee on