As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk about iphone/ipod touch games

• Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyone given Chaos Rings a go?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuiXjmhZ4-8&feature=player_embedded

gah. not out in the US

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    I'm finding most of the stuff made for iPhone to be overly simplistic and dull, but the platform does get some well made, dirt cheap ports of really good games like Peggle, Plants vs. Zombies, Bookworm, Myst, Doom, Final Fantasy, and supposedly there's a port of Pheonix Wright on the way. There's fun to be had, but yeah, I certainly don't consider it a "legitmate" platform in and of itself.

I consider my iPod touch to be a an iPod first (music, podcasts, videos, etc) that has some nice extra features here and there.

I've put more time into iPhone gaming than I have on my PSP and DS this year... combined.

edit: 99.99999% of apps are worthless junk.

The .000001% is really great stuff.

solsovly on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Completely forgot about Chinatown Wars. I may need to check that out.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I'm probably being unfair to a few awesome indie developers in that post. Generally, though, it holds true for me.

Darlan on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I'm probably being unfair to a few awesome indie developers in that post. Generally, though, it holds true for me.

Who cares what the percent of good to bad is (unless you are a dev). Outside of picking games, it doesn't matter what the percent of good games are to me. If there is 50 good games out of 1,000 or if it's 50 out of 75, I'll still have 50 good games.

solsovly on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    solsovly wrote: »

Who cares what the percent of good to bad is (unless you are a dev). Outside of picking games, it doesn't matter what the percent of good games are to me. If there is 50 good games out of 1,000 or if it's 50 out of 75, I'll still have 50 good games.
    The percent of good to bad matters with obscure indie games because it's impossible to tell them apart in the app store, and even efforts like TouchArcade to sort them out aren't enough to mitigate the effect.

Darlan on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    jaseofbase wrote: »
    I registered just to say I added people a while back from the openfeint, etc... list. username is jaseofbase.

Just on openfeint, or on the other services as well?
    Y'know, so I can add you to the list.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, you guys are free to like whatever apps.
    I just prefer platforms in which the best games are deeper than peggle.
    And low price doesn't make games better or more fun. It's just that I'm disapointed in iphone gaming so far, and I think it's hilarious but truly horrifying when someone says that the Iphone will kill the other portables.

because that would be a really shitty future to live in.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, you guys are free to like whatever apps.
    I just prefer platforms in which the best games are deeper than peggle.
    And low price doesn't make games better or more fun. It's just that I'm disapointed in iphone gaming so far, and I think it's hilarious but truly horrifying when someone says that the Iphone will kill the other portables.

because that would be a really shitty future to live in.

Just remember that for the first year or so of the DS's life, the "deepest" game on the system was Yoshi Touch 'n' Go and a port of Mario 64. Give it time, friend. :P
    Yoshi Touch 'n' Go was actually a surprisingly deep game, but it was still arcadey in nature and you really had to get good at it in order to really discover what the game really had for expert-level play.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Cryo84RCryo84R Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Warp Gate. That's all I can say. Too busy playing it.

Cryo84R on
    So, I see the caterpillar has emerged from his cocoon...as a shark...with a gun for a mouth.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    Spider is one of the best 2D platformers I've ever played and the controls are perfect for the platform.

I don't think it's going to kill other platforms, as the thing is split between an MP3 player and a phone. But it's definitely giving the DS some stiff competition.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh, and Chaos Ring is on the US App Store now.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cryo84R wrote: »
    Warp Gate. That's all I can say. Too busy playing it.

That good, huh? iPad or iPhone?

zilo on
  • Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    @Stormwatcher:
    I guess it's about software generations- like Lunker mentioned, the DS's early lineup was pretty abysmal, to say the least, and it took time to take off. Also, come on man- you were being a little unfair- it's not as though it's a crime to like arcadey kinds of games is it?

App store is relatively new, so i guess time is going to tell. One way or another, it's most certainly not going away, so all we can do is hope that we see some great stuff coming out. Definitely won't kill handhelds, but doesn't need to either.

Personally, after i bought my ipod touch earlier this year, i sold my handhelds (PSP and Neo Geo Pocket Color), and haven't looked back, as i like the shorter play style that i have in the ipod. It's not stopping me from ploughing into something like Undercroft, though.

I'm REALLY looking forward to Swords and Sworcery- just watching the trailer gives me goosebumps. I know not everyone likes pixel art, but i definitely am enthused for it. The sound seems pretty nice too.

DusT_HounD on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Eh, I dunno. The DS did have an absolutely horrible start, but within a year it got a second wind and never looked back. Meteos and Kirby in the early summer and then Nintendogs and Mario Kart that holiday season. The rest is history, really.

This is the App Store's second birthday coming up, and I feel like there's no killer app yet. Apple is clever, however, and didn't push the app store initially. People buy the device because they need a phone or mp3 player. The apps come later.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Square-Enix putting all of its other games on sale to celebrate launch of Chaos Rings

I'm seeing some preliminary impressions of Chaos Rings on GAF and it sounds pretty good.
    Alright, ive played the game for about 40 minutes and anyone who's on the fence in regards to performance on older devices can proceed to safely shell out for Chaos Rings. Im playing it on an Edge 2G iphone and the performance is quite good. The framerate is perfect during cutscenes and battles. However, it'll feel like its chugging a bit every so often when youre runnin across the field, but it's not a dealbreaker as its not terribly noticeable. The sound never stutters either.

As it stands, the game is much better than what i was expecting. The graphics and music are obviously very good but the story and characters seem interesting as well. To top it off, the battle system has an interesting twist to it, as you pair off with a partner and at the start of a turn you can choose to act alone or in a pair. Acting in a pair allows you to combine attacks with your partner but also leaves both characters open to an attack during a turn as well. There is also some kind of point system that grants a limited advantage to either the player or the enemy depending upon the choices made during the course of battle. Although thats not quite as frenetic and engaging as XIII's Paradigm deck switching, its more than what i was expecting.

So yeah, if youre wondering if its worth shelling out for, As someone else mentioned, this game has more effort put into it than comparative titles on handhelds selling for three times the price.
    I've played about 30 minutes of the game so far. My sentiments mirror everyone elses so far. It definitely has the charm of the old school PS1 S-E turn based RPGs and I'm digging the battle mechanic where you can either choose to fight solo or as a pair. The job and gene system look to be very interesting as well in regards to building your character. Good stuff. I started off with Eluca, so it'll be neat to see how different the story is in comparison to Escher's.

Now for performance, that also reminded me of old school PS1 SE RPGs. I have a 3G and it performs rather well when cutscenes are abound, but once crazy particle effects start showing up, framerate takes a nosedive. I wouldn't call it gamebreaking, but those who have a 3G and expecting consistently smooth framerate are going to be somewhat disappointed. I'm sure people with the 3Gs and iPad are going to have a much better experience. Regardless, I'm really enjoying the game so far with the battle mechanics and its dungeon crawling.
    So wait. Is this a dungeon crawler RPG or one that is more story driven (towns, NPCs, etc.)?
    You enter different zones and have to find a ring in each, usually from a boss and on the way you get the story just like any other square rpg. For a portable it's done very well, no one has got far enough yet to say if any other places open up.

After each area so far you return to the hub which is a bunch of rooms you are forced to stay in with your partner, but there is a store with npc you can talk too.

And some off-screen footage of the JP game running: The framerate looks a lot better in person. Anyone looking for an iPhone RPG with depth might want to check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HxYHI0t7SU]Chaos Rings gameplay

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Grabbed Chaos Rings but haven't had a real chance to play it yet. Also picked up Warp Gate despite mixed reviews.

On title I noticed thanks to toucharcade I wanted to point out to TD people is Mikado Defenders. You place little squads of units rather that stationary towers, although they only roam so far the visual flavor is more faux-old school japanese army fighitng demons and such than gun turrents shooting things.

511788_3.jpg

desc on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm really enjoying Chaos rings, its a beautiful app and a really steady JRPG.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm absolute trash at tower defense games, but Mikado Defense does look really pretty. The only one I've tried is Geodefense Swarm, and I'm so bad that it's scared me off of every other TD game ever. Except PvZ, but that's an obvious exception.

Adda, glad to hear you like Chaos Rings -- I'm really intrigued, but I just can't swing any more purchases right now.

Lunker on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lunker wrote: »
    I'm absolute trash at tower defense games, but Mikado Defense does look really pretty. The only one I've tried is Geodefense Swarm, and I'm so bad that it's scared me off of every other TD game ever. Except PvZ, but that's an obvious exception.

Adda, glad to hear you like Chaos Rings -- I'm really intrigued, but I just can't swing any more purchases right now.

You, sir, are absolutely destroying me at Words with Friends. I'm kind of sad about it. Although I started a random match, and the score is currently 67/9, in my favor. So that makes me feel a little better.

I started with "TAUNT" down the middle, he played "HUT" off of my U, so I dropped "MINAE" on the N right underneath it, also forming "HI" and "TA" from his HUT. Not to mention leaving him with an absolutely terrible board to play on. So he just dropped a "D" underneath the "E" on "MINAE" to make "ED." I took "DOZE" off of that "D," landing the "Z" on a triple-letter.

Good, good times =)

Xaviar on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    chaos rings looks really good
    might have to get it...

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We Rule update - Adds pinch zoom and map interaction when you are zoomed out! Makes managing my bank 'o peasent houses a little more managable.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have to say having added all of you to We Rule makes it a lot more interesting. Building things in your buildings for other people is a lot better than them just cycling out small bits of money. Also, some people are way, way more creative at building their land than I am so far.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lunker wrote: »

Geodefense Swarm is crazy hard. It's even harder than the first Geodefense, which I already thought was pretty damn hard. The first Geodefense was at least mostly doable for me, but I couldn't progress much at all in Swarm. (I'm not all that skilled at the game genre).

I haven't tried Mikado yet (but I can't resist trying it because of the visual style), but every other tower defense game I've tried on the iPhone has been way easier than the Geodefenses.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    chaos rings so far is very polished (which is expected)

i didn't play much, though, so i haven't seen a lot of the stuff (like gene system)

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bought Chaos Rings.

So far, I like it. It has Crisis Core-level graphics, a battle system faintly reminiscent of Chrono Trigger and while the plot is pretty thin, it seems to want to stay out of your way so you can focus on dungeon crawling and building up your guys.

The magic system is pretty neat, you get Genes from the enemies you fight, and you can equip those to use different kinds of magic. When you use a kind of magic, your "element" switches to match that type, which might make you vulnerable to other kinds of attacks if your fighting a diverse group of enemies.

All in all, I don't mind having spend $13 on it, because I want to encourage larger scale development on the platform, and this is a pretty fun game.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How fast does it drain batteries?

wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Geo Swarm got me stuck on the FIRST level with the orange paths
    Fuck that shit

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    in chaos rings at the very beginning
    the female knight looks exactly like lightning but with bigger eyes

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Eh, I dunno. The DS did have an absolutely horrible start, but within a year it got a second wind and never looked back. Meteos and Kirby in the early summer and then Nintendogs and Mario Kart that holiday season. The rest is history, really.

They were talking about the lack of "deep" games on the iPhone. I wouldn't really consider any of those games "deep", especially in this context, as puzzle games, 2D platformers, stupid virtual pet apps, and racers are a dime a dozen on the appstore. It wasn't until later that the DS started gaining really solid, lengthy titles, and the iPhone platform for gaming is still growing by the day.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So Chaos Rings is worth a purchase, yes?

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    So Chaos Rings is worth a purchase, yes?

i would say yes
    but i haven't played much and i am splitting the cost with my brother since we're both gonna play it

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Only meteos is a pretty deep match 3 game, with lots of amazing mechanics, and it's also pretty hard to make work on a PSP or home console. So it's a deep enough game that actually makes use of the DS' features.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Only meteos is a pretty deep match 3 game, with lots of amazing mechanics, and it's also pretty hard to make work on a PSP or home console. So it's a deep enough game that actually makes use of the DS' features.

There are many iphone games that match this criterion. Not enough to really consider the thing as a direct competitor to the DS yet, but credit where credit is due. Heh, Apple's strategy for games here seems to actually be quite similar to Nintendo's with the Wii.

Atheraal on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I find myself pretty sucked into Warpgate, but every time I get any kind of "making money" game, I inevitably get super sucked in for a while and usually then immediately burn out. I do like all the variety of ships and the issues of deciding with whom you'll ally and stuff.

I probably should not have bought the $1.99 dlc space ship. I bought it on a whim, but I could have been making incremental upgrades without feeling like a cheater. Hmm.

desc on
  • Options
    jaseofbasejaseofbase Registered User new member
    edited April 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Tried RedLaser, actually very cool. Trying to find a good QR Code Scanner, too, (free). Played some of that MMO... uhm... Legends.. or something Legends... it's actually very decent for a mobile MMO. I was pleasantly surprised. I'm a little sketchy on how it downloads patches and stuff, seems a bit odd.. but I'm a tinfoil-hat kind of guy.

Going to look into the other MMO... I think it's called "iMo"

If you haven't found a free QR scanner yet, I've been using one called i-nigma. Works fine so far.

jaseofbase on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I got CIV: Revolutions for my iPod touch. The interface is kind of clunky and the graphics too complicated. The zoom levels feel either too cramped or too distant. No good. Aside from that, I've stayed away from everything but Flight Control, which is a great iPhone app, but, I don't know. Not a very good 'game'.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Despite the DS gaining the status of "for everyone", prompting comics like this:
    227266538_TAhJD-L-2.jpg

I think the iPod Touch and iPhone are actually just taking gaming beyond whom the DS has reached, allowing even more and more people to game. Sure, they will share some of the same demographic, but neither will ever replace the other.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Despite the DS gaining the status of "for everyone", prompting comics like this:
    227266538_TAhJD-L-2.jpg

I think the iPod Touch and iPhone are actually just taking gaming beyond whom the DS has reached, allowing even more and more people to game. Sure, they will share some of the same demographic, but neither will ever replace the other.

See, that's perfectly reasonable and sensible and I agree with it.
    Thing is, some frenzied zealots piss me off mightily when they proclaim that the Xbox and the PS and the DS and PCs are doomed because the iphone is the best gaming thing ever and the Ipad is the best computer ever.

And NO, i'm NOT referring to anyone in this forum, unfortunately that was a friend of mine (whom I promptly blocked in all IM networks because he's fucking insuferable).

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jaseofbasejaseofbase Registered User new member
    edited April 2010
    Xaviar wrote: »
    Just on openfeint, or on the other services as well?
    Y'know, so I can add you to the list.
    My username is jaseofbase on pretty much all the services, OpenFeint, Plus+, Crystal and Agon. Can't wait for the official apple social so we can consolidate them into 1.

jaseofbase on
This discussion has been closed.