As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need help playing DVDs on PC if you can believe it

EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I can't seem to watch DVDs on my PC. It's a DVD-ROM/DVD-burner. My computer is new.

I tried downloading DivX. It plays the movie fine, but I cannot hear spoken dialogue. I hear explosions and music just fine, but not a fucking word.

I can even switch it to developer commentary and I can hear THAT. I remember having this issue before so I deleted DivX.

I tried Windows Media Player but that doesn't even recognize the DVD in my drive, even though I have the latest (WMP 11) player.

What the hell can I use that's good and easy?!
This is such bullshit.

Endomatic on

• Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What version of Windows is it? Media Center plays DVDs better than WMP, for some odd reason....

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Do you have 2 speakers, and if so, is your soundcard and/or whatever player software you use set to 5.1?

With 5.1 audio, dialogue typically occupies the centre channel, which will be absent if you only have two speakers plugged in.

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    No, I have 5 and a sub.

I'll try tooling with the settings a bit.

I need to know a good program. I can't even seem to get to my D : drive in the DivX browser (It only goes to the top of the C :\) and I can't drag and drop the DVD into the program either.
    I can't use it to play my DVD. I did it not 15 minutes ago, but it won't let me do it now that I've reinstalled it.

Okay, I made a folder option to use "Open with DivX" as an option and now it can't read my 'D' drive.

WHAT THE FUCK!?

It's right in my MY COMPUTER browser. I can open it and explore it.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Maybe try VLC? Thats what I use for all my dvd's.

Ponge on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ponge wrote: »
    Maybe try VLC? Thats what I use for all my dvd's.

I preferred Media Player Classic back when I was on a Windows machine, myself. But VLC will work just fine.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I have VLC, it's my favorite player, but I get "No DVD codec" errors.

Endomatic on