As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

X3 - Shiny Star Ships in Space

• Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah but thats Premo shit. Smells like a hop field in full bloom.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited February 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you believe!

Synthetic Orange on
    edited February 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh god i'm so confused D:

Fuck Raiders, fuck them and their undodge-able missiles

101 on
    edited February 2009
    Strafe, strafe! Unless you're piloting a T? class ship in which case you're screwed.

Synthetic Orange on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    the space weed has been improved via cosmic rays

Weaver on
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is space weed a common currency in X world? Or is that a TC only thing?

Also, I started Reunion last night. After I crashed my ship trying to dock with the Renown on the first training mission, I realized this is going to be a steep learning curve.

Then I realized there's a the docking computer...then I felt silly.

LTM on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    well it's going to be a steep learning curve regardless.

but not because of docking.

check out this in the official forums, some of the stuff looks hella outdated but I bet it's still probably one of the best ways to get past the learning curve. some excellent guides in there.

Cilla Black on
  • littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also that is like 4700 creds for a metric ton of weed.

you're selling weed. by the metric ton. jesus christ

edit: aaand I'm finally trying out this game

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
    edited February 2009
    I think i'm gonna leave this till i've got the time (and energy) to figure out what the fuck everything does.

101 on
    edited February 2009
    Downloading 7.5gigs at 1.1MB/s, cripes.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
    edited February 2009

[Deleted User] on
    edited February 2009
    I'm on a university wireless connection with a thousand other people so I'm pretty happy with my download speed.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
    edited February 2009
    Wait, what

You guys get megabits per second?

I'm glad when i get 600Kb/s ¬_¬

101 on
    edited February 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Can you land on planets?

DJ Cam Cam on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2009
    I played on normal and got myself killed by the scouts in those opening story missions. This is embarrassing. So I went down to easy mode until I get a little better feel for things

DJ Eebs on
  • LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i was playing pretty well until i got a mission to go get this one ship. I claimed it and got back in mine and went through a gate thingy. I noticed that the ship following me was going really slow, it was taking forever to get through the gate. i decided to switch ships, cause i'd rather be flying the slow one than waiting on it to catch up with me. so get in the slow ship, and command my own ship to follow me, because i'm about to get going. it promptly crashes into me

i dont know where i was last saved. i dont want to know yet

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
    edited February 2009
    This game is beautiful and runs flawlessly on my machine.

Too bad the download finished 20 minutes before I have to leave for class.

I went with "Custom Game" because all the other options looked lame, will I be adversely affected by this choice in any way?

Right now I have 6 credits and 6 Argnu Beef that no one wants to buy because I don't have ENOUGH beef. I'll figure out to make money eventually.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Generally in the X-series difficulty only effects your starting equipment and whether or not things like auto-target are automatically turned on (auto-target is still available in higher difficulties, though)

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lockout wrote: »
    i was playing pretty well until i got a mission to go get this one ship. I claimed it and got back in mine and went through a gate thingy. I noticed that the ship following me was going really slow, it was taking forever to get through the gate. i decided to switch ships, cause i'd rather be flying the slow one than waiting on it to catch up with me. so get in the slow ship, and command my own ship to follow me, because i'm about to get going. it promptly crashes into me

i dont know where i was last saved. i dont want to know yet

Finding out where you last saved after a multi-gate jump into the middle of Xenon territory is oftentimes rather depressing.

Turned me off the game for a couple of weeks because it annoyed the crap out of me.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited February 2009

I went with "Custom Game" because all the other options looked lame, will I be adversely affected by this choice in any way?

Right now I have 6 credits and 6 Argnu Beef that no one wants to buy because I don't have ENOUGH beef. I'll figure out to make money eventually.

Depends. If you're playing Reunion, you dont get the storyline missions. If you're playing Terran Conflict you're fine.

Synthetic Orange on
    edited February 2009

Depends. If you're playing Reunion, you dont get the storyline missions. If you're playing Terran Conflict you're fine.

Cool, I'm playing TC. Now to find out where to take this beef.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
    edited February 2009
    Argnu beef goes to a Cahoona bakery where it gets turned into a one-ton slab of meatloaf, apparently.

Synthetic Orange on
    edited February 2009
    but does it sell man, DOES IT SELL?!

I'm going to have so much fun slowly going crazy trying to figure things out myself.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
    edited February 2009
    Trading isnt that hard to figure out in this game. If an item is overstocked, it will be cheap. If it's understocked it will be expensive. Buy where it's abundant, sell where it's needed.

i.e. a solar power plant with a full warehouse will sell energy cells for 12c each. A factory with no energy will buy at 19c. You can get even better deals by bartering with traders at stations, but that's a little tedious since it requires manual trading. After I get my first million or two, I just buy a merchant ship and set a trader on it to work for me.

Prices at trade stations, equipment docks and outposts are static however, so it's a good place to dump if everywhere else is overstocked.

Synthetic Orange on
    edited February 2009
    I hit autopilot and my ship randomly turned around and smashed into a gate. Now my top speed is 37m/s and repairs are stupid expensive. I have 7,000 credits haha

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
    edited February 2009
    Urgh, i got given a Raiper to replace my Sabre. And it seems a little underpowered.

Like, Xenons are kiling me in a single attack run T_T

101 on
    edited February 2009
    how do you get pick up folks from stations to take them places? whenever i dock the guy starts to say something but then he gets cut off

edit: nevermind, figured out i can't pick up passengers

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I got myself stuck in my first autosave death loop in Reunion last night.

On the second mission, from the Gonar Temple, chasing down that one pirate guy in Farnham's Legend. I saw a Kha'ak attacking a mining ... thing. So I swerved, killed the Kha'ak, docked at the mining facility for kicks...

Then promptly got swarmed by a bunch of pirates when I undocked with some sort of odd tractor beam like weapon that engulfed me in a cone of suck. The closest autosave was...docked at the mining facility.

It was rather unamusing...

LTM on
    edited February 2009
    Lockout wrote: »
    how do you get pick up folks from stations to take them places? whenever i dock the guy starts to say something but then he gets cut off

edit: nevermind, figured out i can't pick up passengers

I think you need to buy life-support for your cargo bay.

EDIT: Also, made 500Cr selling some meatloaf.

Need a bigger cargo-hold ¬_¬

101 on
    edited February 2009
    I made a few thousand running energy cells back and forth. But I really, really need to find myself a new ship. Or a way to repair this one.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
    edited February 2009
    I made a few thousand running energy cells back and forth. But I really, really need to find myself a new ship. Or a way to repair this one.

I looked at ships. They're expensive.

Does everyone start off with a Buster?

101 on
    edited February 2009
    It depends on which start you pick. The Terran defender starts you out with a terran M4. The Bankrupt assassin gets a Split M3.

You can repair your ship by ejecting in your space-suit (shift-E), then firing your repair laser at it.

Synthetic Orange on
    edited February 2009
    It depends on which start you pick. The Terran defender starts you out with a terran M4. The Bankrupt assassin gets a Split M3.

You can repair your ship by ejecting in your space-suit (shift-E), then firing your repair laser at it.

Thanks for that tip, I've been going back to the last save because i can't afford repair costs.

QQ, how did you get up to a couple a million credits? I don't want to be ferrying power cells back and forth for days D:

101 on
    edited February 2009
    Hm, well if you've got an m4 you can start attacking pirates til your race rep is good enough to buy a police license and you get paid to do it. Attack and capture pirate transports, run missions, trade in higher margin goods, anything.

Synthetic Orange on
    edited February 2009
    Where can you buy a police license? And is it possible to make ships trade for you, instead of doing it yourself? I thought someone said you could

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
    edited February 2009
    You can buy a police license at any trading station. You need Trading Software Mk 1-3 on the ship you want to do the trading for you if you want fully automatic trading (Sector and Universal Traders) or a trade extension on your own ship, if you want to do manual, remote trade runs.

Really guys it's in the manual. :(

Synthetic Orange on
    edited February 2009
    I also just watched the entirety of Venture Bros Season 3 in one sitting and went to the thread here to talk about it, only to find that it was like the stupid singularity. What the hell SE++?

Synthetic Orange on