As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do I Want A G1?

RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So my Samsung U600 just fucked up and has no sound. Which is irritating, but my contract is almost up anyway so I'm looking for a switch. I'd quite like an Internet phone and I've been eyeing the G1 like a hawk since the beginning of December.
But... I'm not 100% convinced.

I don't think I want an iPhone. They're nice, but the tarrif is quite high (in the UK at least), and I really didn't wanna be paying more than £35 a month. So that's kinda out.

So the G1.
Basically, I want it for AIM and Internet browsing on my stupidly long commute to work. I do want it to have good basic phone functions as well of course.
Is the G1 worth it? Is it the kind of phone that breaks easily? Is T-Mobile UK ok? does anyone have any good/bad stories of their experiences?
Convince me I want one before I go sign my life away on an 18 month contract!

steam_sig.png
Rainbulimic on

• Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have no idea about the quality of T-Mobile's service across the pond, but here in the Bay Area (California) it's good enough - not great, but I get 3G anywhere outside and at work/home. The phone works really great for AIM/YIM stuff (and of course SMS messaging), the browser is not quite as awesome as what the iPhone has. (no multipoint touch screen) I've had mine for 3 weeks now and I'm really digging it a lot. Had no mechanical difficulties whatsoever, the screen seems fairly resilient and the slide function works fine. I bought a hard, clear plastic case for it so it'll survive being in my pocket, and that's working out well. I have the insurance plan for an additional $6/month so if it breaks it's only $130 to replace it instead of $400.

What is it about the G1 that you like? I bought mine because I wanted something like an iPhone but with an actual keyboard, then I saw the G1 and its open-source operating system really grabbed me, so I went with it. However there are other phones that do basically all the same things it does, with much better battery life. The G1's battery doesn't last very long at all, if you're the kind of guy that fucks around with it regularly (as I am, always pulling it out every 5 minutes for a text or email or whatever) it'll last about 4 hours or so. Not a problem for me, because it only has to last that long for me to get somewhere and charge it, but it might be a problem for you.

You may be interested in glancing through the cell phone thread in Moe's for some info on this and other phones.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It was basically for the same reason you did, I want something like an iPhone, but with an actual physical keyboard. (I also really like slide phones for some reason, hence a samsung preference).
    I'm a little iffy on the battery life, 4 hours actually sucks quite a lot. I don't suppose there are those emergency charger jiffies that are adaptable for the G1 as well is there?

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I went into a T-Mobile store on Friday and almost walked out with a G1. Turns out my rate plan would only go up 25 bucks, which is less than I first thought. But the battery life is my biggest turn off with the thing. Sometimes I forget to charge my regular phone every night, and I can see the same thing happening with the G1.

Plus I want to wait till my contract is up in four months and see what happens. When I was at the store though, a customer with a G1 raved about it,and talked about a suppose update called cupcake that will bring some new things/fix some old things to the G1 in the coming months.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    DanMachDanMach Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I own a G1. Had it for about 6 weeks now, and I love it. I use locale a lot, which is a program that lets you auto-config your phone based on location. Such as: when I get within 200 ft of my work my phone switches to vibrate and such.

I've used the google maps more then I can possibly count and its awesome. Its also helped me out at work because I can ping from the device to routers/servers at work. The games are fun, etc etc.

Weaknesses:

Camera is *CRAP*. It takes FOREVER to take a photo and its blurry 3/4 of the time.
    No flash.
    No video.
    Battery life will last a day of "semi-active" use.

Strengths:

Applications are generally well done.
    GPS is super useful, and is VERY well integrated.
    Its a great backup speedometer! :)

blah blah blah, i could list a billion strengths. Its so useful its scary. I would highly recommend it

DanMach on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh man, that locale program sounds awesome. My brother has the G1(he'll probably jump on this thread when he sees it), and what he seems to like the most is the million of programs that are out there. Since there's no certification process, lots of things are up for free DL, though I imagine you have to wade through the crap.

And that actually brings up a question. Has there been any reports of people dl aps that give them virus or fuck up their phone?

noir_blood on
  • Options
    DanMachDanMach Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I haven't read any, but I am 100% sure they exist. The nice thing is that google can make an application unrunnable. In short, they can broadcast out and say "You cannot run this program.". Yes, that worries me as well.. but google hasn't used it yet to my knowledge.

Also, something I forgot to mention is the sheer awesomeness of the layout. It feels like I am using my PC *almost*. the trackball is on the right.. keyboard is open. So you bounce between typing and moving the mouse with your thumb.

Its nice.

DanMach on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love the G1. The battery was annoying, but there's a power manager app that is essential and really helps out on extending the life of it. On the downside to really extend it, you need to shut off location and gps. None the less, when I had everything running, my phone would usually last me a good 6 or 7 hours, which was fine with me.

People have complained to me that is bulky, but I don't mind the size at all. Also, I really need to get a case for it, though it does come with a nice cover that has kept me from scratching my screen.

I think the two biggest upside to the phone is being connected to the internet and gps at all times, and that T-mobile's data plans are really affordable, at least when compared to AT@T.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Plus(and granted, this might be different over in the UK), but T mobile I found, has awesome customer service. They always been friendly and helpful whenever I call, which is a big reason why I stay with them.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The G1 is basically a computer in your pocket with a really good connection to Google maps, and this is way more awesome than it sounds. If you use it like this a decent amount (for instance, showing it off at parties or something, or using the GPS a lot, etc) the battery life is really short.

If all you'll be using it for is a phone with a keyboard for texting, the battery life is not a problem. You won't be using GPS, cell location, downloading a lot of apps, or playing MP3's from it. However in that case I question whether you really need something like a G1, when there are perfectly good flip phones with keyboards available for $50 or less.

Seeing as there are plenty of charging options (standard A/C outlet, via USB mini cable, car charger, etc) you probably won't have too much trouble with it unless all you do all day is web browsing.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    DanMach wrote: »
    Weaknesses:

Camera is *CRAP*. It takes FOREVER to take a photo and its blurry 3/4 of the time.
    No flash.
    No video.
    Battery life will last a day of "semi-active" use.

Camera and flash thing are correct. Straight up. I have a lot more problems with the GPS than you apparently, it always tells me I'm like 5 miles away from where I really am.

Video recording is being added in the "cupcake" firmware update that should be out soon and there are free video players in the market place.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    There are ways for developers to tweak the camera hardware. The barcode-recognition software is (somehow) able to trigger very fast captures, and someone else has put out an app that takes 30 shots in a row, which makes up for the blurriness quite a bit. (just pick one good one)

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RubickRubick Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love my G1. I've had it for about two months now, and it's great for texting/e-mail (except for Hotmail)/ Internet browsing and You Tubing. When there's an available WiFi connection it's crazy fast, but it can be slow and a pain when there isn't one (I'm in the Dallas area). I'd say go for it.

T-Mobile also has official forums for issues/etc surrounding it: http://forums.t-mobile.com/tmbl/?category.id=Android

Rubick on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've used the G1 a bit, and it makes a great impression. Probably the best touchphone out there next to the iPhone. My tech friend owns it, and he loves it, with two reservations. The first is the camera, as others have said. The second is the fact that downloaded applications go into the phone's skimpy built-in memory (250MB or so, if memory serves) and can't be sent to the memory card. That's not a problem now since their app store is just getting started, but in the future you could face strong limitations in the amount of apps you can have on your phone.

I wouldn't worry about the battery life... if it's anything like the iPhone, only true power users will have a problem with it.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Stephen Fry reviews the G1, among other smart phones

The only thing that he is wrong about is synching with your computer. It's just drag and drop, and it's extremely easy to put music into it, and take pictures out.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Stephen Fry reviews the G1, among other smart phones

The only thing that he is wrong about is synching with your computer. It's just drag and drop, and it's extremely easy to put music into it, and take pictures out.

He's also an apple fanboy.

If you're in europe, I'd suggest also going into your carrier's store and having a good look at the other smartphones which are available, there's a lot better selection of feature rich devices than here in the US. Espeically HTC devices.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png