As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Engine Replacement?

BaronSamediBaronSamedi Same dude as yesterday.The AlamoRegistered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Two days before christmas I noticed that my engine oil pressure was a little high at normal driving rpms (2-2.5k) and low during idle. The engine ran fine with no noticeable differences noise or performance wise. I took it in for an oil change because it was due for one hoping this might be the source of the problem. It was not. The oil pressure spikes and drops were not as severe but still continued.

Today I finally got the chance to take it in for a diagnostic test. The technician came back with the results showing that my bearings were failing. He then said that it is not a cheap problem to fix and that it generally costs around the same amount of money to replace the engine itself due to the labor involved in fixing the bearings. His advice was to drive it until it failed, basically.

A little background on the vehicle: 2001 Dodge Dakota, 87k miles. Maintenance is pretty regular. Driving is mostly highway. (I only put about 450 miles on it a month and about 380 is on the highway.) Bought from a friend after we came back from Iraq, so it sat for most of the 15 months we were gone, with his brother going out and starting it and driving it around for one day each month, but an oil change and other minor maintenance were performed on it before I bought it.

Now for my questions:

1. Was the technician right? Are the two repairs going to cost about the same? Is the only recourse to drive until it fails?

2. If I choose to fix it, how much should each repair cost? (I have been googling this for a couple hours but can't really get any good estimates. I know next to nothing about vehicles, so estimating the amount of man hours that go into taking apart an engine is near impossible for me.)

3. If I don't choose to fix it/can't afford to fix it, what are some things to watch for when the engine gets close to failure?

Thanks for your help H/A.

"Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit, and your shit is stuff?"--George Carlin
BaronSamedi on

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When you say bearings I assume you mean the crankshaft bearings.
    I cannot imagine the fix being as much as a new engine. I just googled a 4.7L engine for a dodge dakota and it was $2700 bucks for a new one, and thats just the engine cost. changing the actual bearings is easy, its just getting to them, but its still a job that can be done in a day. I would imagine the fix wouldn't be more than $1200 and most of that would be labor pulling the engine out and tearing it apart. I would take it to a different mechanic personally and get a 2nd opinion.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There is no fucking way you need an engine rebuild at 87000 miles unless you're running without oil in the motor. Take it somewhere else and get a second opinion.

That said, the amount of labor required to disassemble an engine and replace internal components is frequently much more than the additional cost of a replacement engine.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I assume it's the 4.7L? I can't imagine a 318 or 360 dying at 187k miles, much less 87k.

I second getting a second opinion. There's no reason that engine should be dying so soon. If the crank bearings are bad, there's nothing you can do. The engine might continue to run for 87k more miles, or might die after 10 minutes. I second having the engine rebuilt instead of tossing the whole thing (if you're interested in keeping it, anyway).

PS. Is it a 5-speed? Are you anywhere near the west coast? I've been looking for a later model Dakota, don't care much about the engine.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Actually you may want to check, an engine failure at 87k might be covered under warranty. I can't remember when Dodge switched to their new service plans, but they cover major engine repair for a long time.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I would take it to a different mechanic personally and get a 2nd opinion.

This, and don't tell Mechanic #2 what Mechanic #1 said it was, or how much.

Random googling led me to this ballpark for engine rebuilds for the Chryslers: http://www.rpmmachine.com/engine-rebuild-kits-chrysler.shtml
    4.7L master kit is $800, and includes:
    "Pistons, Rings, Gaskets, Cam Bearings, Rod Bearings, Main Bearings, Oil Pump, Freeze Plugs, Camshaft, Lifters,Timing Set And Wrist pin Bushings where applicable."

Mechanic #1 is probably quoting you for the full kit + labour, not just the bearings.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Actually you may want to check, an engine failure at 87k might be covered under warranty. I can't remember when Dodge switched to their new service plans, but they cover major engine repair for a long time.

It's an 01, I'm guessing he's outside the time limit for the engine even if he's within the mileage.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Some googling shows there is a good chance it is sludge buildup by the oil pump and this seems to be a problem with Dakotas. What bearings was the technician talking about? If he was talking about the oil pump bearings, it could be that but changing the oil pump won't cost as much as a replacement engine, even a rebuilt one. I found Dakota engines online in the 2 to 6k range and some advice saying switching to synthetics can help with sludge.

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3
    Link 4 Rebuilt for 2k

pacbowl on
    steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Lord Yod wrote: »

It's an 01, I'm guessing he's outside the time limit for the engine even if he's within the mileage.

New Dodge's have a lifetime warranty on the powertrain, but I don't think they've been running it since 01. I remember for a long time they had a 7-year warranty, which (depending on when the truck was bought) it may still qualify for.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BaronSamediBaronSamedi Same dude as yesterday. The AlamoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanks all for the replies. I am going to take it into another mechanic and see what they say. Not looking forward to the diagnostic fees again. Might just breakdown and take it to a local dealership.

The lowest price I have found for an engine is 2300. Didn't even think about checking ebay. Thanks alot for the point in that direction.

@Fats: Im in Texas and unless I come into some money (or good credit) fixing it is my most feasible option.

BaronSamedi on
    "Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit, and your shit is stuff?"--George Carlin
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    pacbowl wrote: »
    Some googling shows there is a good chance it is sludge buildup by the oil pump and this seems to be a problem with Dakotas. What bearings was the technician talking about? If he was talking about the oil pump bearings, it could be that but changing the oil pump won't cost as much as a replacement engine, even a rebuilt one. I found Dakota engines online in the 2 to 6k range and some advice saying switching to synthetics can help with sludge.

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3
    Link 4 Rebuilt for 2k
    Sludge? Isn't there like crazy stuff these days that apperantly reduce sludge this and that the other thing?
    Like that Lucas oil stuff?

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    b0bd0db0bd0d Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, you can buy engine oil cleaner. Just dump it in with the oil and then change it. I like to drain the oil, leaving the old filter on. Put the drain plug back in, fill up with new oil and run for 5-10 minutes, then do an oil change. Grabs a lot of junk.

b0bd0d on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Did you try swapping out the oil sender? If it is faulty, you can get wide variations in the readings as well.

stigweard on