As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hi! My name is... (or "Why I hate anyone with more than 1 'X' in their name")

Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
I had a giant, rambling preamble here but fuck that wall of text.

The purpose of this post is to discuss any and all of the following:
1) Your name and any special relevance is has. (IE: Kris is my first name, and both the "x" and the "K" stand for different aliases. Its a long story)
2) Do you judge other gamers based on their names? (IE: I would know "Cardboard Tube" to be a PA fan, and if I randomly met him on Xbox Live I would be more willing to give him credit. This is the opposite of meeting "420 Killarz" whom I would likely put on a preemptive mute.)
2.5) COROLLARY: Your best "Guy lives up to his nickname" moment (IE: Sheep "baaaa"-ing at people bitching about us "hacking" in CoD4)
3) Your favorite nick/gamertag/PSN ID/whatever you have seen. (IE: Random Battle. I've only "met" him once, but I will never, ever, EVER delete him from my GT list based on his name alone. Yes Random, you should be worried)

And... go!

calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
Kris_xK on

• Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    My name is self explanatory.

Obs on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My tag derives from my love of Superman lore and history...on XBL I added the K at the end due to the fact that someone already had the name Brainiac 8....so yea.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just hate people giving me shit when I sign up for something and the name "Darmak" is already taken so I usually append a "X99" to the end of it because that was a clan I was in for a long time years and years ago and they're all, "olol yuo haev faggy letter and numberz on yuor naem!" :|

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My name comes from a time when I was all stupid and waaaaaay into my own religion.

I would like to change this name.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Last night while playing Halo, we encountered someone named "IamBenBen" and another player called "iknowbenben".

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I got my name from my Mum.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    LewieP wrote: »

Who is an awesome woman, by the way.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I had a old dude as a high school chemistry teacher that was a little off-center. For whatever reason, he deliberately mispronounced my name during roll call on day and called me "Carl". As everyone who has been in high school knows, high schoolers are jerks. So for a while I got stuck being called Carl (in a good-natured fashion). Then Carl became Snarl. Then Snarl had the first letter of my middle name appended to it (Peter) and thus it became Snarl P. During the transition from the Xbox to the Xbox 360, I somehow lost the information to transfer my Xbox Live tag of "Snarl P" and was forced to add "Ninja" to keep my proper name.

Additionally, I also rate people with excessive numbers, x's, or random enclosing symbols (such as ||XxIEatWang420xX||) in their names as closer to domesticated livestock than people. I know there are millions and millions of people out there, but it shouldn't be that hard to come up with something mildly personal and original. Even if you just have to stick a number or two on the end, even a boring name like Bob 96 is a thousand times better than some unreadable mess.

EDIT: I laugh every time I kill somebody in a surprising or creative fashion and end up rewarded with exclamations along the lines of "Damn Ninja!" These events are rare, but always amusing.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Usually xX KILLA LORD Xx is because straight-up KillaLord was already taken and people are, as a whole, not that imaginative. Turns out that Willeth is a name I never have trouble getting on any service and so I've not run up against it an awful lot.

I get 'what're you talkin' 'bout, Willeth' a lot less than I expect.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    1) UnbreakableVow

Harry Potter reference, sixth book to be precise. Occasionally I'll run into someone online who'll comment on it. I like the books, and I like the idea of the Vow, but really I just think it goes together well, it just rolls off the tongue. The first time I read it, I was just like "This sounds really cool."

2) I pretty much always judge people based on their screen name online. But only the really stupid ones, like you mentioned.

3) I like Random Battle too! But my favorite screen name I've ever seen is also here on PA: LookFreeGrenade. Laughed my ass off the first time I saw it, I could just imagine seeing his name show up next to the little "You've been grenaded" symbol in COD4.

EDIT: There's also a guy on my friend list named NeoVsR2D2. The mental image alone makes his name worth it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Started as h8 bill g8ts but MS made be change it --> h8billg8ts then --> h8b1llg8ts for the last three years.

My wife is i h8b1llg8ts 2

My alt is Master B8ters when I'm bored ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »
    Started as h8 bill g8ts but MS made be change it

Hahahahahahaha

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My name is the answer to "what is delicious?"

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    3) I like Random Battle too! But my favorite screen name I've ever seen is also here on PA: LookFreeGrenade. Laughed my ass off the first time I saw it, I could just imagine seeing his name show up next to the little "You've been grenaded" symbol in COD4.

Ahahahaha, that is great.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am also a mandolin player.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »
    Started as h8 bill g8ts but MS made be change it

Hahahahahahaha

And this was back in '02 when Xbox Live first came out. I got the call from a head VP who told me I was the talk of the town in Redmond but it had to be changed.

I just hate the random "why do you hate Bill Gates?" "he invented xbox". I just shake my head in shame for those people ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Why do you hate Bill Gates, though. I mean, he's a very successful entrepreneur.

I seem to remember running up against someone called Yourself and being mildly amused the first time I saw 'You killed Yourself'.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My forum name is a combination of my love for the Zelda series and stupidly thinking that I could change my forum name to something else than my login much like Xbox Live.

My gaming name was a result of a conversation with a friend in high school. Back then people still cared about Jennifer Lopez and called her J-Lo. So my friend brilliantly deduced that I "needed" a nickname, that the first initial of my first name was J, and the short form of my middle name was Bob, thus J-Bob was born. The nickname never stuck in real life, but thinking of a name for my video games made me remember that nickname. Thus, I've stuck with it.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    Why do you hate Bill Gates, though. I mean, he's a very successful entrepreneur.

I seem to remember running up against someone called Yourself and being mildly amused the first time I saw 'You killed Yourself'.

I used to be "loadsa bullets" when me and my mates got together for Timesplitters sessions.

LewieP on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My name came from waaaaaaaaay back in 1997, when I wanted to pick my own yahoo e-mail name. I was going to go for Storm Eagle, since I was into Mega Man X and my younger self thought that was awesome. It was taken and I didn't want random numbers in my name, so I kept trying random word combinations til I got this one.

And man, it sucks. I really need to change it, but since Tube keeps the name change thread open for a tenth of a second at 3 a.m. once every leap year, that'll never happen.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My forum name comes from a super old AOL specific gaming site called ANT, the VGM was for Video Game Master, and the 64 was, well, I had an N64 at the time.

Shut up, I was 12.

My GT comes from when I was helping a girl train for her black belt in karate, and she had to practice throws, so I kept coming up to her and going "I'm not Meekin! Rawr!" (my last name is Meekin).

Favorite GT ever? I saw one that said Takesitdeep once and thought it was mildly amusing.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh, I forgot. My favorite tag ever was "John F. Kennedy," seen in Halo.

"You Assassinated John F. Kennedy"

edit: also "Justin Credible"

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When I was much younger, I picked up Lipnickey as a nickname because Jerry McGuire came out, and apparently, I looked like him. It got shortened to 'Lip'. Sometimes I use yekciNpiL, Sometimes NpiL, and sometimes piL. I think NpiL is interesting visually, with a symmetry of squares, since both the N and the L suggest very squarish forms in different ways, and the inside characters have two portions of similar height, with one that goes below the line (which also reminds me of a signature), and a point above, another point of symmetry.

Unfortunately, even though I always think of it as Enpill, I can't really blame people when they say nipple.

All that didn't go into it when I picked it, but somethings want more than three letters, or pretty much all three-letter combinations are taken.

piL on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My tag comes from what i was scratching when trying to think of a name to register.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Same.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Visti? That's a real name?

That's a pretty sweet name.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Visti wrote: »

Same.

In this thread, families are reunited

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My PSN name is RenegadeGuardian because Guardian452 was taken already.

Guardian 452 is Bob's ID from ReBoot. RenegadeGuardian refers to Matrix, because Bob gave Enzo guardian classification but he was never officially trained, and in season 3 Matrix referred to himself as a Renegade. I am such a ReBoot nerd.

I'm ashamed of some of my older handles, though. My very first Diablo II account that I made when I was 11 was 'dbzfan2themax'. My first character was a barbarian named 'dbz_fan'. I want to go back in time and punch my younger self.

Oh, and I guess my forum name is from Trevor Reznik, the main character in 'The Machinist' played by Christian Bale. It doesn't really have any significance other than I watched the movie a little while before I registered.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    SirGrinchx because I use Mr_Grinch when I can. SirGrinchx came about because every single variety of username I could think of on XboxLive had been taken. I kinda like it now.

The Grinch part came about because I was looking for an online username 10 years ago in college (God, that's depressing). I discovered that putting pennies in the can machine we all sat near blocked it up, any other money that got put it didn't drop through the coin dispenser and wouldn't come out. I furthermore discovered that jamming a knife down the coin slot freed all of the trapped money via the coin return.

Of a morning I'd put a penny in, people would put cash in, it'd get stuck, they'd go to reception and reception would give them their money back and say they'd report the fault. At the end of the day I'd come along and put something down the coin slot and pocket about £10 in change, which would then go towards booze money.

A friend's girlfriend called me "The Grinch that Stole the Money from the Can Machine". I kinda liked it, logged on to IRC as _Grinch_ that night and it's stuck since.

Boring story done!

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The KI at the end of my name is the text representation of the D'ni numeral for three from the Myst universe:

40px-D%27ni3.png

I started using it when I was trying to register for an online game and every single variation of my old screen name was taken. It's really simple, but I like it. Plus, it's not as lame as "Aaron3" is.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Felt like getting a new screenname back in the AOL days. Wanted "Carcass", after the band, but it was taken. Like medieval stuff, so SirCarcass was born.

Registered on the forums after the crash but never got my activation email. A couple of months later, I registered again, but it wouldn't let me use SirCarcass (since I had already "registered" it), so I put the space.

Xbox gamertag was SirCarcass. Couldn't remember my info for the 360, so I just created a new one and threw an X on the end. Very creative, I know.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My name comes from when I was ~14 years old (waaaayyy back in '94). I was a somewhat angsty nerd. One day, during class, I noticed that one of my friends was reading a Robert Jordan book. I saw the name 'Kinslayer' and thought it was cool (or, 'kewl' as we used to say back then). I decided to spin it into my own thing, so I came up with Nightslayer.

My family had AOL at the time, and back then there was a 10 character limit to screen names. So Nightslayer was shortened to Nightslyr. I was too lazy to change it when I outgrew that phase of my life. It seems to be somewhat unique. I haven't had to change it very often online. So, it has that going for it.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Willeth wrote: »

To the smart ass my response is 'because he's richer then me".

But because you asked it was because Xbox Live came out my second year of law school and my second year of marriage. Games like Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six 3 almost made me flunck out of school. Plus, at the time, my emphesis was Intellectual Property Law and MS and Bill Gates could write about 16 seperate books on the subject alone.

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif

• Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My name used to me MightyVVhitey here.

SO called because when i joined this forum i was a bit of a fan of the Bloodhound gang, and in one of their songs they declare "i'm mighty whitey tightie and im smuggling plums"

the double V because i never wanted my name to be taken.

after having 5x10^23 people think that my niock was racist, i had good ol CT shorten it to mighty. because everyone in games/vent called me "mighty" anyways

the avatar is because i like rolling bomber special. its also on my phone, myspace, and facebook.
    take that as you will.

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Cherrn is the phonetic spelling of one local septuagenarian's pronunciation of the Danish word for "butter milk", which can be translated literally as "churn milk". A friend of mine used to work in a supermarket, and this dude would constantly come in asking for "CHERRRRN milk", and the way he said it was the funniest thing ever at the time. My friend and I have used it as a colloquialism ever since.

"Just cherrn that shit, man"
    "I just cherrned him. That was some cherrny cherrn"

And we both use it as an online name. Though I've started using Hakkesshu so we don't get mixed up. It's the name of the Orochi cabal in the King of Fighters series. I like how it sounds.

I don't generally judge people by their names, but I draw the line with people called ~~--=|//[UN1TY]FrEcKLZoN\\|=--~~ or the like. I also find it weird just how few people I encounter on XBL that have simple one-word names with capitalization in them.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My name comes from way back when Warcraft III was coming out. I saw the little advertisements for World of Warcraft and was already planning out my class and race and eventually name.

After reading a whole lot of Lore about Orcs in Warcraft, I decided on Kor'malod. I used this name while playing WarcraftIII online and on a couple of older forums. ( I was like 14 at the time).

Later, much later, I was 18 and in the military. A couple of guys were trying to get me to go to a LAN party. Something I had never heard of. They asked me for my handle and I didn't know how to respond. I thought of Kor'malod, but that name just seemed too... I dunno... formal? So I just shortened it to Kor.

This worked out great for me later when playing UT2K4, and people kept shouting get Kor/get the core!

It provided much confusion in my favor.

edit: For my XBL tag. the "of Memory" part was just a recommendation from microsoft when Kor wasn't available.

For a story...

Well, yesterday, while playing halo, my wife and I came across someone named "Jaybagger"

We pondered for like the next 3 or 4 hours what the hell a Jay bagger is. Our conclusion: The female equvalent to TeaBagging, spawning from the oprah coined term "va-jay-jay"

We didn't get the chance to check the profile to see if it was indeed female.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I forgot my old PA accounts password and the e-mail it was tied to no longer existed. I was playing Aria of Sorrow at the time and was too lazy to be creative.

The whole "venganza" thing came from an old Spanish speaking online gaming group and I would always pick that name (its vengeance in Spanish). I used it in EVE and WoW as well. If its taken, I throw an 01 on it and if that's taken...well shit.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Threepio - usually available. No one ever wants to be the gay robot from star wars.

On PSN: rogerwilco - from Space Quest, my first love. Also, apparently on PSN - back in the day - someone wanted to be the gay robot from star wars before I did.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Threepio was essential to the Star Wars Universe. A golden god.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    ChalkbotChalkbot Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Any X's in a name, Z's in place of S's, T's in place of ED's, or numbers in place of letters is tending toward douche-baggery.

Ha! Take that.

With that note I must say that my friends and I enjoy changing our names to exactly that, the most douchey names we can come up with. This is because it's so much more satisfying to kill someone in TF2 for example, and have them know that they were just bested by Xtr3meNutBuzta69. Feel free to use that one, I just came up with it now.

So next time you're about to pre-emptively mute xXTurboButt5echsXx, just know that it might be one of us.

Chalkbot on