As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hi! My name is... (or "Why I hate anyone with more than 1 'X' in their name")

• Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Arcibi wrote: »
    There is no significance behind my name

Basically it was something I came up with when I decided I wanted a username that probably wouldn't ever be taken, and it's literally the first three syllables that came to mind

Incidentally, how do you pronounce your name?
    Ahr-kai-bai?
    Air-sai-bee?
    etc etc

I always thought it was "ar-chee-bee," but I could be wrong.

I read it as R-C-B.

This is how I've always read it, although Ahr-kai-bee is kind of an interesting take on it now that it comes to mind (it would probably make more sense considering I've gone by Arc for short in more than a few games)

It's always fun hearing someone struggle with how to pronounce it over voice chat though

Also so many people swap the c and r around when typing it that I've stopped caring when someone spells it Acribi

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's a song. Shiny Disco Balls.

I have a dj friend who used to cut in on the mike whenever I was dancing to it, and he'd shove my name in the song.

Not the first song he's done that to, either.

My dad, Douglas, was a DJ back in his day.
    Apparently he revelled in the fact that he could change the names of "Boogie Wonderland" and "Blame It On The Boogie" to be "Dougie's Underpants" and "Blame It On Big Dougie".
    Anyone who knows him from his DJ days are EXTREMELY quick to remind me of this when they meet me.

My friends do this kinda shit to me, except they don't put as much thought into it.

"There's nothing I can James, a total eclipse of the Jaaaaaaaaames" is only funny for the first hour.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    shinydiscopaulshinydiscopaul Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Seeks wrote: »
    There's a song. Shiny Disco Balls.

I have a dj friend who used to cut in on the mike whenever I was dancing to it, and he'd shove my name in the song.

Not the first song he's done that to, either.

My dad, Douglas, was a DJ back in his day.
    Apparently he revelled in the fact that he could change the names of "Boogie Wonderland" and "Blame It On The Boogie" to be "Dougie's Underpants" and "Blame It On Big Dougie".
    Anyone who knows him from his DJ days are EXTREMELY quick to remind me of this when they meet me.

My friends do this kinda shit to me, except they don't put as much thought into it.

"There's nothing I can James, a total eclipse of the Jaaaaaaaaames" is only funny for the first hour.

Try hearing "Heaven is a place on Paul" in public several times.

shinydiscopaul on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hahahaha, I share your pain.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    shinydiscopaulshinydiscopaul Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The best (other than my username) was him singing No Doubt's "I'm Just a Girl".

But replacing every instance of the word "girl" with my name. Made me giggle.

shinydiscopaul on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    I like it when people spell my username Fyrewolf.

On a forum.

My screenname is right there how the hell are you misspelling it

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Gears of War is very boring.

I didn't want to get lynched around the time I signed up, so I added Xeno in front of it. Xenogears is many things, but its not particularly boring.

Somehow, I ended up still offending both groups.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    FyreDonkey wrote: »
    I like it when people spell my username FyreDinkey.

On a forum.

I dunno, it seems pretty easy to misspell to me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    commathecommathe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My name is from a Buffy the Vampire Slayer quote.

Buffy: I'm the Slayer.
    (Riley looks blankly.)
    Slay-er. Chosen One. She who hangs out a lot in cemeteries.
    (He still looks blankly.)
    You're kidding me! Ask around. Look it up. Slayer, comma, The.

People often read it as "Coh-mah-thee" or "Commath" and in one unfortunate incident "Comanche".

commathe on
  • Options
    BigKevBigKev Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mine is just bigkev, who was a vague Australian celebrity a couple of years back.

Anyway, relating to the people living up to their names, there is a guy who plays in Australia who plays alot of TF2 who's name is Arnie, and who never drops his admittedly impressive Schwarznegger impression. It's quiet surreal actually, playing entire matches with the Terminator as your teammate.

BigKev on
    Steam ID : BigKev87
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    FyreDonkey wrote: »
    I like it when people spell my username FyreDinkey.

On a forum.

Tell me about it. Someone please tell me how the fuck people think I'm 'Willith'. It's ridiculous.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    commathe wrote: »
    My name is from a Buffy the Vampire Slayer quote.

Buffy: I'm the Slayer.
    (Riley looks blankly.)
    Slay-er. Chosen One. She who hangs out a lot in cemeteries.
    (He still looks blankly.)
    You're kidding me! Ask around. Look it up. Slayer, comma, The.

People often read it as "Coh-mah-thee" or "Commath" and in one unfortunate incident "Comanche".

My live tag is dixonater, and I always get called di-oxintaor or something weird. They never say it right...I didn't think it would be that hard to read :(

Dixon on
  • Options
    ZuldaneZuldane Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mine is a derivative of a death knight from one of the Warcraft games (either 2 or 3, I forget now). Anyway, been using it since day 1 of Everquest launch.

Zuldane on
    Zuldane.png
  • Options
    JeiceJeice regular
    edited January 2009
    I've always liked the name "Jace" and since I was into DBZ at the time, I decided to go with the spelling they used in the Ginyu Force. "Jeice". But, for some reason, no one can ever say it right, they always say something like, "Jeece" or "Juice" :(

Jeice on
  • Options
    PasteePastee Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My screen name is a take on my favorite food as a child.

Pastee on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My gamertag was an amalgamation of my wife's name and my own, because at first we thought we had to assign one account for the whole system. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Despite being a keen gamer I wasn't really into the whole intarwebs so never needed a nick or handle until a friend introduced me to star wars galaxies. Came up with Adda which is my name (Adam) in welsh.

I tend to use it for most things now but it is used more often than I like by other people so I now have the dubious PSN tag of AddaUK and and XBLtag of AddaLive (but I think I might have the Adda tag on my original xbox somewhere).

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    programjunkie because I liked coding for a while.

My GT is Wicked Demiurge, because I defy anyone to say that is not sweet, and it has never been taken before, so, you know. I used to be Solacus, but despite the fact I made that up based on naming conventions for a millenia old language, it was not unique.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    McPudgyMcPudgy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My wife is an insatiable fan of the show "Grey's Anatomy"...
    I imagined that if I were the new hot stud doctor coming into the nurses station on my first day after my transfer from my post working in the Congo with sick orphans what my name would be...
    ... hey, there are chubby chasers everywhere. It could work.

McPudgy on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    McPudgy wrote: »
    I imagined that if I were the new hot stud doctor coming into the nurses station on my first day after my transfer from my post working in the Congo with sick orphans what my name would be...

There's a new intern on Scrubs who's hot and a chubby chaser. It would've been so sweet if I could've found a link.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

There's a new intern on Scrubs who's hot and a chubby chaser. It would've been so sweet if I could've found a link.

that last episode was incredibly depressing.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »

Yeah, but the good kind of depressing.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »

I must confess...
    I don't really watch the show.
    But as my wife does and always manages to recruit two to three friends to join her...
    I've relegated Thurday to "Game Day" for me and my RPG buds.

McPudgy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I've just got season 7 on DVD and watching them now...I have the two new season episodes on PVR to. I can't wait!

Dixon on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dixon wrote: »
    I've just got season 7 on DVD and watching them now...I have the two new season episodes on PVR to. I can't wait!

Just so you know the last episode you have there (I think 12) is meant to be episode 9. It will save you a bit of confusion.

edit: horrible totp.

Umm... lets see. Not names per se, but I love how many crude objects can be made from Halo's icon things. I've seen penis tips, boobs, pot leafs. Hell the other day I saw what I believe was a womans stomach all the way down to her knees, with hips and legs clearly defined. Of course, I hate these people and assume they have an IQ of about .2

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My name has no deep meaning, but it does predate Halo. I despise the game infact.

redhalo on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kor wrote: »

Just so you know the last episode you have there (I think 12) is meant to be episode 9. It will save you a bit of confusion.

Umm... lets see. Not names per se, but I love how many crude objects can be made from Halo's icon things. I've seen penis tips, boobs, pot leafs. Hell the other day I saw what I believe was a womans stomach all the way down to her knees, with hips and legs clearly defined. Of course, I hate these people and assume they have an IQ of about .2

Actually, I usually enjoy it. At least if they are creative or well done. It's not like the icon thing is even as powerful as MSPaint. These people are really working for it.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Actually, I usually enjoy it. At least if they are creative or well done. It's not like the icon thing is even as powerful as MSPaint. These people are really working for it.

No, one or two people are working for it. Then you've got the countless retards that see, "holy shit a penis, I'm totally steeling that!"

Admittedly, my wife and I do get a chuckle if we see a penis that is not of the normal color. Green usually. Again though, I'd never ever talk to these people, and I sure as hell wouldn't friend them.

Kor on
  • Options
    X Pr3dat0R XX Pr3dat0R X Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kiz wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Kiz wrote: »
    Kiz is the natural nickname of Kieran, so my nick isn't terribly imaginative. Though in my case it was a little bit more interesting. I was Kieran -> Kizza -> Kizzabazza -> Kizzawizzaboomfartpoo -> Kiz. Most of that is from before I can remember though.

Really? I've always gotten "Kie".

The only other "Kieran" I knew got Kiea (no idea how you spell it but phonetically it works out Key-a)

It might be an Australian thing. A lot of people get z names here.
    Barry? Baz. Daren? Daz. Sharon? Shaz.

Happens alot in Ol' Blighty as well.

X Pr3dat0R X on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    hey guys... Not to be a noob "May the rules apply Nazi" but, um, yeah... this is a
    what's your name and why thread. (though I do appreciate the fact that my subject matter has sparked some random tangent from the main subject. =)
    although I have to say... Redhalo, I love the Mitch Hedburg ref toon in your sig. Very swasi-neo-avant-gard...

McPudgy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Actually this thread asked us 3 questions.

1 being what you said.

2 being "2) Do you judge other gamers based on their names? "

and 3 being, What are some funny names and such.

I don't think there is much harm in replacing name with emblem, since it drives home the same purpose.

Kor on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The toilet is one of my favourite Halo emblems.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ah thanks for the heads up Kor, I think I'm on episode 6 so far. Just watching a couple a day.

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

1 being what you said.

I don't think there is much harm in replacing name with emblem, since it drives home the same purpose.

I stand corrected

McPudgy on
  • Options
    X Pr3dat0R XX Pr3dat0R X Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

1 being what you said.

And, in turn, do people live up to their emblems?

X Pr3dat0R X on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ah thanks for the heads up Kor, I think I'm on episode 6 so far. Just watching a couple a day.

OMG... how many people watch this show?

No offense intended. genuinely curious. My avid fan of a spouse keeps telling me they're hurting for numbers...

Then again, I hear T.V. period is hurting for numbers. Does this mean more people are reading. Has education finally come around?

Nvr Mnd... Movies are at a record sales high. I get it.

McPudgy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

1 being what you said.

Well, while the kid in the t-shirt was the same from the old Man Show on Com Central...
    I am affraid that in my latter years, I have come closer and closer to seeing this as a gradeschool pic of myself.

And really... aren't we all what we what we think others see of us. Emblem or not.

McPudgy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

1 being what you said.

Its hard to say. I mute by default now a days. So someone with a penis might be a dick, might be in the closet, I dunno. I will say that for the 3 seconds people haven't been muted yet, more often than not, anyone with a penis emblem usually sounds like they haven't hit puberty yet.

OMG... how many people watch this show?

No offense intended. genuinely curious. My avid fan of a spouse keeps telling me they're hurting for numbers...

Then again, I hear T.V. period is hurting for numbers. Does this mean more people are reading. Has education finally come around?

Nvr Mnd... Movies are at a record sales high. I get it.

My wife and I love it, but we don't watch it primetime. We watch it on comedy central mostly. I find it hard to believe the show is hurting for numbers though. I mean, last season was the writers strick, so thats all fucked up. The 8th and final season just started like 2 days ago I think, so I doubt they've announced how well they're doing.

Kor on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

1 being what you said.

Shit, I change my avatar and sig so much that they don't really matter. Right now it's just from two of my favorite RPG's (Secret of Mana and Phantasy Star IV), last time it was from EVE Online. Who knows what it'll be next?

Haha, doubtful. More likely that people are watching their TV shows online or renting movies, etc.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Darmak wrote:

Haha, doubtful. More likely that people are watching their TV shows online or renting movies, etc.
    Or there are simply more options and numbers are down over what they used to be for shows 20 years ago. The problems of using old ways of thinking with new technology and options.

Also the problem of going horribly, horribly off topic...

At one point, I'd wanted to use the name E. Piphany, but I don't know if anybody would get it.

Santa Claustrophobia on