As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hesher] Hardboiled and Still Hellbound

• Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hahahah, tav, you ass.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    hahaha

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Heartlash wrote: »
    Wibod wrote: »
    Also their vocalist is a gigantic tool and talked shit to Anders Fridén for making a joke about his seriousness on stage.

Hahaha, wow.

"Hi veteran vocalist of a 10+ year band that is incredibly well respected and produced maybe one of the greatest melodic death metal albums of all time. How dare you imply that I am not the godhead of a new metal revolution, and should take myself less seriously!"

On this topic; I am of the general opinion that live shows suck when the band is all srs bsns. This is unfortunate since so many metal bands do this and it prevents them from putting on an awesome show as opposed to a good show. Yes I know you can swear like a sailor, but it really doesn't add anything.

Wibod on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Heartlash wrote: »
    Also their vocalist is a gigantic tool and talked shit to Anders Fridén for making a joke about his seriousness on stage.

Hahaha, wow.

"Hi veteran vocalist of a 10+ year band that is incredibly well respected and produced maybe one of the greatest melodic death metal albums of all time. How dare you imply that I am not the godhead of a new metal revolution, and should take myself less seriously!"

On this topic; I am of the general opinion that live shows suck when the band is all srs bsns. This is unfortunate since so many metal bands do this and it prevents them from putting on an awesome show as opposed to a good show. Yes I know you can swear like a sailor, but it really doesn't add anything.

Same here. You guys are getting to play to an audience and rock out in front of tons of excited fans.

At least try to look like you are having fun.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Narian wrote: »
    I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm starting my journey into the Realms of Chaos and if I don't return... then it's been nice knowing you.

I'll join you on that trip. My interest in Bolt Thrower has been piqued.
    Blood for the Blood God!

You guys should hear the Sabbat (UK, not Japan) song "Blood for the Blood God". It came on a flexi-disc in a White Dwarf Magazine one month, a few decades ago. Great song. Some of the Games Workshop artists also contributed art to their first two albums (they never did any 40k stuff really though). So Bolt Thrower wasn't the only Warhammer related metal band; Sabbat did it first by a few years.
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    See, that makes sense. I guess I'm more irritated by people who jump on the 'it's cool to hate metal band X' bandwagon (mostly because both my guitarists are like that). But disliking them because you actually don't like them is totally logical.

I am the complete antithesis of cool. After all, I am the one who thought Cold Lake was a great Celtic Frost album...

autothrall on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What is it with bands who wear their own merchandise on stage and in photographs? Yea, we know you are if we're at your show.

I was just reminded of this annoying habit when I came across a Suicidal Tendencies video and Muir and the rest of his cholo douchebag band are on stage, decked out in ST merchandise from basketball jerseys to shorts to a bandana.

Get fucked, that is horrible.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think I tried to wear an Extinction Agenda shirt but it was too small so...didn't really fit. Wasn't at a show though, and I've never worn it again.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Any band that wears their own shirts for shows/photos should probably be avoided.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    On a related note:

MattHeafy.jpg

Morgenstern on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    A 2008 album I'm surprised no one mentioned on their list, including myself, is that last album from Canvas Solaris.

Morgenstern on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well played.

Also GISing Trivium is a trip that always ends in lulz/

http://images.google.ca/images?gbv=2&hl=en&safe=off&q=Trivium&btnG=Search+Images

Wibod on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Damn. This band seriously has some of the shittiest album covers....ever....I mean, every single album cover sucks...

Trivium_120001_small.jpg

Take those shirts and patches off...what the fuck is this?

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE.

autothrall on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Suicidal Tendencies suck. Even thinking about how fucking inbred Trujillo looks makes me seethe with anger.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Actually, that one cover reminds me of a rejected Blood Mountain cover.

Or would have been a rejected Blood Mountain cover.

Morgenstern on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Tav wrote: »
    Suicidal Tendencies suck. Even thinking about how fucking inbred Trujillo looks makes me seethe with anger.

Lights...Camera...Revolution is a good melodic speed metal/thrash album. Very catchy. Their old punk/hardcore stuff is also fun.

I met them and they were pretty cool guys as well. Mike Muir is tiny IRL.

Otherwise....I have no defense for them.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Morgenstern on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Goddamnit, now you are going to make me love this band again...

S . T. ! ! !

Also, Tav....they've got THIS to say to YOU, SIR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVwto8Xk2o4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yo5zVdKFCY

GO ROCKY GEORGE! GO!!!!!!!!!

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    This one of the three songs I actually like from them. Mainly because this one actually has a decent message to it and it's catchy.

Morgenstern on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh Goddamnit, they are wearing their own hats and shirts......ALL THE TIME.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So I just realised that Rebellion is releasing the third part of The History of the Vikings in April/May. For those not familiar with the first two parts The History of the Vikings trio isn't really about Viking history, but about how much ass is kicked in Norse mythology. I request autothrall's input on this subject.

Wibod on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    new Rebellion is good news indeed.

I can't remember, are Dark Moor worth listening to? Their new one is out.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    new Rebellion is good news indeed.

I can't remember, are Dark Moor worth listening to? Their new one is out.

I like Dark Moor, but I find people fall into one of two groups; they love Dark Moor or they despise them.

Older stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Ni-wrFwVs

Newer stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcpU_gI-pFI

I wouldn't say I have the most discerning of tastes as I choose whatever I find pleasing as opposed to overwhelming uber quality. :P

Wibod on
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wiki says that Yob might release a new album this year. My penis prays that this is true.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    New Deathstars is out, but there's something wrong with my copy, so I'm gonna wait to check it out. Sounds like they're overstaying their welcome, though. Those "riffs" are getting pretty stale.

hey, does anyone have any links to the old threads we had? I'd like to have a list of those in the op, since I know I like to go back and see what albums we were talking about.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    New Deathstars is out, but there's something wrong with my copy, so I'm gonna wait to check it out. Sounds like they're overstaying their welcome, though. Those "riffs" are getting pretty stale.

hey, does anyone have any links to the old threads we had? I'd like to have a list of those in the op, since I know I like to go back and see what albums we were talking about.

There's a good chance most of them have been bumped off the forum.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So I just realised that Rebellion is releasing the third part of The History of the Vikings in April/May. For those not familiar with the first two parts The History of the Vikings trio isn't really about Viking history, but about how much ass is kicked in Norse mythology. I request autothrall's input on this subject.

It's power metal, so take the lyrics with a grain of salt. Power metal concept albums are usually more of a fantasized 'tribute' to their subject matter than based on any true historical perspective. However, Rebellion seems to have researched numerous historical figures and folktales so I would say that these concept albums are slightly more accurate. Norse mythology is very important to the Viking lore but it seems this is about the Vikings themselves, and their eventual subjugation and assimilation. Miklagard was indeed pretty awesome.

Expect more lyrics like:

Come Skald sit thee with us and tell us of the past
    The deeds of viking warriors in your songs they'll ever last

We long to hear of Hakon, the Earl of Norway's shores
    Or how he killed the Gravskin and stood the Jomsburg force

He was born the son of Sigurd, his father stabbed by royal hands
    He escaped and turned a viking, his frame spread across the lands

And on the day he faced the Gravskin, anger wished just like a burning flood
    Hakon the maker of widows taking lives as his blade drinks blood

The fish return now into the fjord, the harvest rich Hakon we hail thy sword
    Raising temples where a church did stand. Odin smiles to praise the land

Sword in the storm, the rock in the battle
    Hakon you stand and be Odin thy guide
    Strong be thy arm, oh sword in the storm
    Thor grant you strength to defend what is right

And when the viking of the Jomsburg set their sails against our shores
    Strong in numbers famous heroes, Hakon you fought them to the core

And in the middle of the bloodshed, standing strong I saw your hands reach for the sky
    Calling for help in the turmoil, Odin took your son as a sacrifice

The fish return now into the fjord, the harvest rich Hakon we hail thy sword
    Raising temples where a church did stand. Odin smiles to praise the land

Sword in the storm, the rock in the battle
    Hakon you stand and be Odin thy guide
    Strong be thy arm, oh sword in the storm
    Thor grant you strength to defend what is right

But in the end of people asked for the reign of a christian king
    Betraying Hakon they soon forgot the good his rule did bring
    In his sleep, killed by a thrall a hero's bitter end
    Trygve's son was to succeed to rule the Northern Land

And, really, what else do we need?

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That's what it looks like to me. I can't find anything in between the Blood Fire Update and our previous thread.

New Yob would be excellent, especially after that Wisconsin fucking abortion of existence ruined Middian. Fucking breeders, they've got their shit coming, one way or another.

Oh, and here's the new Deathstars video to scare away anyone that might have been interested
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWUmw2ITaFA

METAzraeL on

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    New Yob would be excellent, especially after that Wisconsin fucking abortion of existence ruined Middian. Fucking breeders, they've got their shit coming, one way or another.
    Huh, I didn't know about this until now.
    wiki wrote:
    The group was sued by a Wisconsin-based band named Midian due to the similarity in names. Midian had never played out of their state and had no albums released. As a result, the band that got sued, Middian, got dropped from their Metal Blade Records and to pick up the moniker "Age Eternal", after their album of the same name.

What bullshit.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Deathstars once again dream of what Marilyn Manson's life could have been and try to re-create it.

Hey, Deathstars, newsflash: IT HAS BEEN DONE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgsoJrzplUI

QUEUE: MOAR TONGUE. MOAR EXPLOSION!

Also, @METAL: Thanks for those old links...wow, my old avatar was so dorky and awesome. Way better than this one.

"Not all vampires suck blood.
    Not all of them die for love."

*swoon* at my emo self.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Kaputa wrote: »
    Huh, I didn't know about this until now.
    wiki wrote:
    The group was sued by a Wisconsin-based band named Midian due to the similarity in names. Midian had never played out of their state and had no albums released. As a result, the band that got sued, Middian, got dropped from their Metal Blade Records and to pick up the moniker "Age Eternal", after their album of the same name.

What bullshit.
    It makes me so goddamn pissed off, especially since Middian's debut was pretty brilliant. I...ARGH HATE HATE HATE

where's my incinerator...
    autothrall wrote: »
    Deathstars once again dream of what Marilyn Manson's life could have been and try to re-create it.

Also, @METAL: Thanks for those old links...wow, my old avatar was so dorky and awesome. Way better than this one.

"Not all vampires suck blood.
    Not all of them die for love."

*swoon* at my emo self.
    The nostalgia is fun :)

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    I'll give you guys nostalgia.

BEHOLD GREATNESS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Ly8nstfxo

Also, I listened to Killing Technology in the car with my new GF a few weeks ago and she admitted it was cool. HOW ABOUT THAT.

autothrall on
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I once shouted angrily at an ice maintenance kid wearing a Trivium shirt at a hockey game but I think my cries were lost amidst the wall of drunken screaming polluting the air.

Blakout on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIqAVm5R_vM

Normally I'm not so much into the fan videos, but this one just made me smile

Chainsaw dueling and log drumming included.

If the band had actually used this as an official video, they would have had my heartfelt respect forever.

So, have we ever thought about doing a top metal videos list? It would at least be amusing, though I realize they are pretty much all terrible.

autothrall on
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    autothrall wrote:
    So, have we ever thought about doing a top metal videos list? It would at least be amusing, though I realize they are pretty much all terrible.
    I was thinking about it earlier, actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A_tSyJBsRQ

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    edited January 2009
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nah, that second one was me.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love Meshuggah's first EP, parts of Ritual really remind me of Alice in Chains

This is great too
    If you blokes weren't aware already, Realm of Chaos' album art was actually supplied by Games Workshop, and an ex-designer did the art for the follow-up, Warmaster. Warhammer was a pretty big influence on these albums.

also, don't ever buy any Bolt Thrower stuff from Earache. If you need the cds (shirts are impossible to get :(), either go with Metal Blade or get used. Earache are still fucking them over with unapproved releases and they're not even signed to them.

Earache sound like a bunch of cunts, between this and their part in destroying TOOH

Adrenaline wrote: »

There's a good chance most of them have been bumped off the forum.

I don't think threads get deleted after an amount of newer threads/posts, I can't remember where any of the discussions about this are though

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think there were erm unpleasantries associated with the metal threads, possibly causing them to be erased from memory, but that was before I joined so I'm not really sure. And yes, Earache are not good peoples, indeed.

I just got back from seeing a pretty good small black metal band in Santa Cruz and found a bunch of new electronic music to check out, so I'm stoked. Oh, and I got the new Leviathan album for the friend I was with at one of the record stores then, whereupon someone else informed me that Wrest is a tattoo artist in the area that I live. I have been working on tat ides for a while...:D Oh, and the whole deal with Leviathan going under isn't the end, he's just going to do work solely under the Lurkers of Chalice name from what I can tell.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I really really hate Meshuggah's vocals.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.