As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

1up.com sold to UGO/Hearst; EGM shut down. Yes, the podcasts too.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've heard a couple of those podcasts, and they were quite addictive to listen to, especially while playing Fallout 3. I've been somewhat interested in doing a podcast, myself, and this talk about freelancing has me wondering if I could somehow join those guys in a podcast conversation, except I would be using my mic while sitting at home. Pretty sure today's technology can do that with no problem.

In all seriousness, where is the most likely place that these guys will be advertising for new help? Do I check with the UGO-owned 1up to see if they'll hire for freelance work, or am I better off following the ex employees, who are likely going to band together and form a new site like Giant Bomb?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You could probably do both.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    admanb wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »
    Apparently, according to Sam Kennedy, he's hoping to bring back the crew of all the podcasts (yes, the ones who were fired and "unceremoniously shoved out the door") as Freelancers, for the purposes of podcasting.

:|

I hope they spit on his feet.

Really? Really?

I feel bad for the guy. First of all, it's not like he's the guy responsible for this decision, but he's in the uneviable position of trying to keep the ship afloat. Remember, there are still plenty of people still left at 1UP and I'm sure he's trying his damnedest to make sure their jobs are still safe. Yes, he totally sounds like an ass and a tool in his posts, but unfortunately that's the position he's in and I'm sure he hates having to self-edit himself for the sake of his new bosses.

For all we know, the recently-departed would love to come back on the podcasts as freelancers. At least it pays the bills until they get more solid work. It's the least he could do or offer at the moment. And if they don't want to do it, then that's fine too. At least the offer is out there.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I guess I'll just keep an eye on the situation and see if something could potentially come up for me.

I know that sounds a bit immoral, but while my heart bleeds for those veterens who lost their jobs, it shouldn't prevent hopeful newbies like me trying to get the same chance they once had.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JCRooks wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »
    Apparently, according to Sam Kennedy, he's hoping to bring back the crew of all the podcasts (yes, the ones who were fired and "unceremoniously shoved out the door") as Freelancers, for the purposes of podcasting.

:|

I hope they spit on his feet.

Really? Really?

I feel bad for the guy. First of all, it's not like he's the guy responsible for this decision, but he's in the uneviable position of trying to keep the ship afloat. Remember, there are still plenty of people still left at 1UP and I'm sure he's trying his damnedest to make sure their jobs are still safe. Yes, he totally sounds like an ass and a tool in his posts, but unfortunately that's the position he's in and I'm sure he hates having to self-edit himself for the sake of his new bosses.

For all we know, the recently-departed would love to come back on the podcasts as freelancers. At least it pays the bills until they get more solid work. It's the least he could do or offer at the moment. And if they don't want to do it, then that's fine too. At least the offer is out there.

Yeah, I hold no animosity towards Kennedy for this. He's try to put up a friendly face when you know he's gotta be hurting.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Jeff Green and Sean Elliot sure knew what the fuck they were doing when they both jumped ship in the past few months.

And why did they fire all the veterans but keep Tina? I know UGO is all about the puss but what gives? She just showed up and the others have been doing it for a long time, do they not care about writing credentials?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Zeromus wrote: »
    EGM should have folded long, long ago.

Man, don't read it if it's not up to your snuff...but a bunch of people are probably about to lose their jobs. Have some compassion and realize that not everything needs to exists to entertain you.

Sorry if that's harsh, but as a journalist, It's starting to make me sick seeing how hard some of my friends in the news industry have been hit.

But you only care about this because you heard about it and because it relates to video games. A lot of small developers fold all the time and everyone just shrugs. A lot of other people are losing their jobs every day besides 1up. Why should we be any more concerned about this?

That wasn't my point at all. I don't care if you're concerned or not about this issue...it's the 'this company/magazine/whatever should have 'gone under' a long time ago mentality that bothers me. The fact that this is videogame related it totally beside the point.

You're goddamn right other people are losing their jobs every day at other places besides 1up. When you grow up a little bit, you realize it's kind of shitty to wish that the entity they depend on to make their livelihood needs to 'just die already.'

I think it's perfectly reasonable to wish some livelihoods would stop existing. Drug traffickers, for instance, or telemarketers. This is not a comparison to 1up, I just refuse to accept that all livelihoods are ok just because it helps somebody get through life.

Just as I dislike some livelihoods that are disruptive, annoying or harmful, I can understand if somebody else has the same feelings about a media source.

But above all, you need to understand that nobody is really saying "these people deserve to lose their jobs." When someone says EGM should've folded, they don't mean it should happen out of spite or nastiness, they mean because something about it was wrong that needed serious correction. In this case, mainly the fact that it was a print magazine in the internet age. EGM could've taken steps to change this and other lingering problems without losing most of its employees, but they didn't, and this is the consequence.

When someone says EGM should've folded long ago, they mean EGM should've changed into a better entity a long time ago, but a history of reluctance to change doesn't give people much hope for that.

But oh no, if they'd stopped being a print magazine, what about those poor paper distributers? :(

I'll admit, I knew the poster wasn't wishing for anyone to lose their jobs...in fact, as I wrote that post, I was thinking in my head a lot of the same things you just wrote. I guess it's just starting to get to me that I'm working in an industry where I wake up every day hoping to god my job is still waiting for me. And shit, I'm still often behind on my bills.

I used to freelance to supplement that, but now many publications aren't even willing to shell out the money to buy someone's piece...and is especially shitty because my last few stories are, I feel, the best I've written. I'm having trouble finding a place to pitch a 1,300 word story where I profiled a teenage honor roll drug dealer for fucks sake. :\

I don't mean to throw a pity party, as we're all having it rough right now...just letting you know where some of my 'angst' is coming from, I suppose.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    Jeff Green and Sean Elliot sure knew what the fuck they were doing when they both jumped ship in the past few months.

And why did they fire all the veterans but keep Tina? I know UGO is all about the puss but what gives? She just showed up and the others have been doing it for a long time, do they not care about writing credentials?

Have you looked at UGO?

Writing credentials are nowhere near a concern for them.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    I paid $10 for a year subscription of EGM...what happens to the rest of my subscription? Those motherfuckers.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I paid $10 for a year subscription of EGM...what happens to the rest of my subscription? Those motherfuckers.

I hope you like O Magazine

Renzo on
  • Options
    DemosthornDemosthorn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man, this is sad. EGM was one of the only magazines I looked forward to getting after GFW died. I wouldn't mind it if they didn't lay off 90% of the writers I enjoyed the most. The worst part for me is definitely the podcasts, 80% of my large subscribe list was their stuff and it was always fun to listen to. It's a shame.

Demosthorn on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Renzo wrote: »
    Fizban140 wrote: »

I hope you like O Magazine

Oh man, I can't wait to see who the cover model for this month's O Magazine will be!

(checks)

Oh, it's Oprah Winfrey. Again. For the 47,981st time.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well, life just got more depressing for me...

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I guess I'll just keep an eye on the situation and see if something could potentially come up for me.

I know that sounds a bit immoral, but while my heart bleeds for those veterens who lost their jobs, it shouldn't prevent hopeful newbies like me trying to get the same chance they once had.

Honestly, I think this is a pretty bad time. First of all, it's not like all of 1UP got canned. A lot of folks (management like Sam Kennedy) are still around and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they favor freelancers that were former 1UP writers. I find it hard to believe that they're going to suddenly start looking for new talent. Unfortunately it looks like the freelance job market just got very crowded with some folks that have quite a bit of experience.

That said, best wishes and luck to you!

Also, regarding Tina, I believe her official role is community manager. She's the one in charge of moderating the forums, comments, etc. I do think any writing that she did was more of a side job. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that's why she was retained. The site still needs someone in charge of moderating the masses (which is going to be even more difficult than it was before).

JCRooks on

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    This is sad.

Because the 1UP Show is gone.

Not that I'll miss their opinions, but I will miss the lengthy, largely uninterrupted, high def video segments of in game footage. Best reason to watch.

Jeremy Parish is still there. Shame about that bald guy Shanne whatshisname. Only two characters I gave a shit about.

Wait, there was that super cute girl that recently got a new job. Jennifer Tsao? Oh yeah. I'll miss her too.

Sheep on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    victor_c26 wrote: »
    Well, life just got more depressing for me...

Now your sig really is the truth.

GFW Radio/The Brodeo/ LAN party all died last year.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    On the topic of doing podcasts...

Why isn't there a Penny Arcade podcast or few?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »

Gabe and Tycho used to have a podcast. I don't know why they stopped doing it.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I type this with the best intentions cause I love PA. We really didn't need to hear them giggle for an hour and a half, did we?

Sheep on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

They didn't "stop" doing it, they just only do it when they feel arsed to.

It is not a weekly service to get you to come to their website. That is what their comic is. The podcasts, when they occur, are purely bonus material.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Please.

If this were the case, why review Paper Mario at all? By your Metric, GI went out of their way to give a game their reading populace normally wouldn't give the time of day a bad review, and for what?

You're right, GI is a business. Which is why I find it really sad that in an apologetic editorial to quell the backlash that review got by the gaming populace that read the magazine, GI flat out admitted that their reviews are for a specific subset of people and not for those who would happen to like the game they're reviewing. The entire idea of a review is to apply an objective opinion on the quality of an event or product that appeals to the widest populace possible. with this review, GI flat out said to a portion of their base; don't bother reading us, we're not for you.

Well, Paper Mario is a game that was on store shelves and can be bought, so yes, it should be something that's reviewed, even if the magazine thinks that it's game that their audience isn't going to like. What's the alternative? Don't publish any bad reviews? Obviously that's preposterous.

Also, there are different understandings of what a "review" should be. Personally, I disagree that a review is an "objective opinion on the quality of an event or product that appears to the widest populace possible". Entertainment is subjective, so I much prefer reviews that are the same way. Sure, the writer may be biased, but I hope that I get to know the author by his/her previous work, appearances on podcasts, etc. Then when he/she writes that they like or dislike a certain game, I have some context. If the author's taste in games similar jives with my own, then I know the review is something I might want to pay attention to. And vice versa.

That said, my understanding and preference for what a review should be is different than yours (and likely others). I'm not trying to "defend" GI or say what they do is excellent by any means, either. All I'm saying is that at least they were up front and honest about what and why they do things. They admittedly cater to the lowest common denominator, because it sells magazines. Sure. Fine. I'm not that, so at least I don't have to wonder if that's actually what they do because they just went out and admitted it. Hurrah for them. Frankly, I'd prefer that than other sites that claim they are otherwise, but in the end, it's the same damn thing.

The only reason they were "upfront and honest" about their views is because of the massive blowback and resulting firestorm from posting the article in its state in the first place.

Basically, they released it, got shit for it, and doubled back the best way they knew how. They gave that ridiculous response as an excuse. It wasn't a matter of fact for the sake of it. That's why I originally said that they up front admitted that their magazine isn't worth reading, which you seem to be agreeing with now, oddly.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

They didn't "stop" doing it, they just only do it when they feel arsed to.

It is not a weekly service to get you to come to their website. That is what their comic is. The podcasts, when they occur, are purely bonus material.

Fair enough.

Renzo on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I am talking about us, the PA forum goers. No one has every wanted to have a podcast for the forums?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The only reason they were "upfront and honest" about their views is because of the massive blowback and resulting firestorm from posting the article in its state in the first place.
    Keep in mind that "massive blowback" is all relative, especially when it comes to the Internet. Well of course Nintendo fanboys on the Internet are going to get all in a rage. We've seen that happen time and time again over the most idiotic things (like the "omg Twilight Princess is an 8.8? FOR SHAME!"). However, what percentage of that is their actual userbase? My guess is fairly small. Isn't GameInformer the magazine essentially handed away or upsold with almost every GameStop purchase? That's pretty freaking mainstream right there.

Really, I hadn't heard about this "firestorm" regarding Paper Mario until it was brought up here. I find it hard to believe that it really is a big deal.
    Basically, they released it, got shit for it, and doubled back the best way they knew how. They gave that ridiculous response as an excuse. It wasn't a matter of fact for the sake of it. That's why I originally said that they up front admitted that their magazine isn't worth reading, which you seem to be agreeing with now, oddly.

Hey, go re-read my original reply. I never said that the magazine was worth reading for myself or other gaming enthusiasts. Instead, I said quite the opposite. I was just pointing out that at least they are truthful with what the purpose of their reviews and how they do it. Tis all. Don't get all angry at me over the wrong thing. :)

My point is that at the end of the day, there are tons of magazines out there on store shelves covering a wide variety of subjects in very different ways. Some skew for a more sophisticated audience, others pander to the lowest common denominator. To each their own. I don't criticize People magazine for the way they cover the news because I just don't care. Or I guess I could, but it's sort of pointless. I feel the same way regarding GameInformer and UGO.

JCRooks on

• Options
    edited January 2009

I am talking about us, the PA forum goers. No one has every wanted to have a podcast for the forums?

It's been done before. I think it was called Platformers. It eventually moved to its own website.

Renzo on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    This is sad.

Because the 1UP Show is gone.

Not that I'll miss their opinions, but I will miss the lengthy, largely uninterrupted, high def video segments of in game footage. Best reason to watch.

Jeremy Parish is still there. Shame about that bald guy Shanne whatshisname. Only two characters I gave a shit about.

Wait, there was that super cute girl that recently got a new job. Jennifer Tsao? Oh yeah. I'll miss her too.

Man, something about that girl got me irrationally pissed off. She was always talking through her teeth and smiling in this really annoying way. I had an urge to kick her in the face.

Food on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

It's been done before. I think it was called Platformers. It eventually moved to its own website.

This?

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009

This?

Oh lord, those idiots are intentionally posting shitty reviews that give popular games low scores in order to drive their traffic count. Way to go guys, that's never been done before. *golfclap*

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    After their letters section went from being a good read to EGM mocking the letter submitters 100% of the time (and some of them obviously written by the staff), everyone there deserved to lose their jobs.

And I haven't been to UGO since like, 1999, or whenever the fuck it showed up, and I don't intend on going there anytime soon.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

This?

Oh lord, those idiots are intentionally posting shitty reviews that give popular games low scores in order to drive their traffic count. Way to go guys, that's never been done before. *golfclap*

Platformers has zero association with the people that actually were doing the podcast post-April 2008. I mean hell, for the longest time they were just posting edited Adam Corrolla podcasts.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    And I haven't been to UGO since like, 1999, or whenever the fuck it showed up, and I don't intend on going there anytime soon.

Man, I don't even know what UGO.

I will not Google them. Don't wanna make them think I'm interested or anything.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Remember Geocities sites?

Think of that, but people actually getting paid to make one.

It looked like that back then, and I'm pretty damn sure it still looks like it now.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ah, I was wrong about the Platformers thing. Fyrewulff knows what's up though.

Renzo on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Remember Geocities sites?

Think of that, but people actually getting paid to make one.

It looked like that back then, and I'm pretty damn sure it still looks like it now.

Most websites looked like that back then. It now looks like a generic gaming website.
    http://web.archive.org/web/19990427133627/http://www.gamespot.com/
    http://web.archive.org/web/19990417133416/http://www.ign.com/

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Needs more black backgrounds!

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Keep in mind that "massive blowback" is all relative, especially when it comes to the Internet. Well of course Nintendo fanboys on the Internet are going to get all in a rage. We've seen that happen time and time again over the most idiotic things (like the "omg Twilight Princess is an 8.8? FOR SHAME!"). However, what percentage of that is their actual userbase? My guess is fairly small. Isn't GameInformer the magazine essentially handed away or upsold with almost every GameStop purchase? That's pretty freaking mainstream right there.

Really, I hadn't heard about this "firestorm" regarding Paper Mario until it was brought up here. I find it hard to believe that it really is a big deal.
    I don't think it much matters how big the blowback was. Statistically, the call they made is an outlier, and that should be the first indication that something is wrong. Oh, of course they can score games however they like; but to claim your score reflects the desires of your readership? The readership that overlaps with all those other publications who ranked it 25% higher?

In fact, you even mentioned it - they are pretty freaking mainstream, and that's why a score should reflect the mainstream's tastes. Judging by all other accounts, it's a far better game than what they said it was. You would expect them to dislike the game, but score it high anyway since others probably would enjoy it, not the other way around. You expect the outliers to be the little guys looking for attention, the ones who give Halo a 4/10 a decade later.

The reason there was an outcry surrounding it was because it was just a leap too far, confirming something about them that almost everyone already knew. I'm less concerned with their review than the terrible rationalization.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Let's put it this way. A game can't appeal to absolutely everyone. There's huge numbers of people who won't ever get into Halo. But marking Halo down because not all of humanity has frothing demand to play it is stupid.

Same as this case.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door sold 1.23 million in the US and 409,000 in Japan on niche console. It was fairly mainstream and liked by the gaming public. They then gave Katamari Damacy an 8. They gave ANIMAL CROSSING a 9.5. The GC Fire Emblem, a freaking SRPG, got a really good score.

The Paper Mario games aren't even that childish.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

This?

I'll just go on record saying that if a group of forum guys here would be interested in doing a legit podcast where we discuss, debate, or pick apart a certain game or series, I'd be willing to participate.

Also, I'm going to try and find a vid from this promotional VHS tape that covered Dreamcast launch titles like Sonic Adventures, and at the end featured this round table discussion on which sneaking game was better, Tenchu or MGS. I guarantee you won't find a more annoying laugh than the giggling idiots during this discussion.

• Options
    edited January 2009
    It can be done, but don't aim for it to be longer than a half hour.

Back when it was actually a podcast, I was editing 1 hour-2 hour podcasts. Never again.

FyreWulff on