Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

1up.com sold to UGO/Hearst; EGM shut down. Yes, the podcasts too.

1789101113»

Posts

  • LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I never really liked Luke. He just seemed like a blatant troll. I guess if you have a "do it all for the lulz" kind of mentality you'd have liked him, but if it takes more than rape and dick jokes to make you laugh, you'd tire of him.

    cancer.jpg
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User
    edited January 2009
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Going back to listen to the 'wrecking your shit with math' vintage 1uY when Luke Smith was a regular.

    Man they need a bungie podcast again. that guy is funny.

    'Wrecking shit with math' was from Shawn Elliot and he said it well after Luke had left (off the top of my head it was after Mark and John left and they were looking for 3rd/4th chair replacements).

    Anyway, really great podcast. I didn't really mind the length since it was the last 1UP Yours we'll get for a LONG time (assuming they even reunite eventually).

    Also, Co-op's great but I'm kinda concerned what they'll do after the GOTY wrap-up. They don't have the same access to early previews and interviews that they did at 1UP so what are they going to cover? Games after release? When everyone else is playing them too?

    No, wrecking shit with math was definitely Luke Smith, I remember it well.

    You're wrong.

    Yeah, it was definitely Shawn Elliot that made the "wreck your shit with math" comment; I just listened to that particular podcast a couple days ago. I just started listening to 1up yours just shy of a year ago, so I've been hoarding old ones to listen to when I'm working.

    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    Spoiler:
  • devoirdevoir Registered User
    edited January 2009
    Lukin wrote: »
    I never really liked Luke. He just seemed like a blatant troll. I guess if you have a "do it all for the lulz" kind of mentality you'd have liked him, but if it takes more than rape and dick jokes to make you laugh, you'd tire of him.

    I disagree. He's a really sharp guy, and reined in Shane and Garnett really hard when they stepped over the mark or made stupid comments (quite common, even now). He had a bit of lowbrow humour, but then again so does Shawn Elliott or hell most of the guys at 1up.

  • korodullinkorodullin What. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I didn't like Luke for a long time when I was listening to 1up Yours, but once he left, I really began to miss him.

    I didn't miss him enough to listen to his irregularly-scheduled Bungie podcast, though.

    impale.png
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    It's mainly because there is no Bungie product out. Smith mentioned he has been shifted internally to core writing staff anyways while there is no PR or marketing to handle.

    I'd imagine when Recon is near launch we will hear nothing but Bungie this and Bungie that.

    Uh, they just released a new podcast a few days ago

  • TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User
    edited January 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    The final 1up Yours went in up today, clocking in at a whopping 3 and a 1/2 hours.

    Link?
    I loved 1up Yours, but I am excited to see the new companies that spawned in the wake

    This one's the old crew. The fab four, etc. If you want the new guys that's next week.
    Spoiler:

    Ah, wait, that's it.
    I don't listen to podcasts.
    I was confusing that with the 1up Show.
    I watch podcasts, because my attention span is too short for just listening.

    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well, here is, presumably, the last podcast to come out of the death of 1up:

    http://alifewellwasted.com/

    By Robert Ashley. It seems to be taking a different approach, similar to NPR, with short interviews in-between. It's very interesting.

    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Going back to listen to the 'wrecking your shit with math' vintage 1uY when Luke Smith was a regular.

    Man they need a bungie podcast again. that guy is funny.

    'Wrecking shit with math' was from Shawn Elliot and he said it well after Luke had left (off the top of my head it was after Mark and John left and they were looking for 3rd/4th chair replacements).

    Anyway, really great podcast. I didn't really mind the length since it was the last 1UP Yours we'll get for a LONG time (assuming they even reunite eventually).

    Also, Co-op's great but I'm kinda concerned what they'll do after the GOTY wrap-up. They don't have the same access to early previews and interviews that they did at 1UP so what are they going to cover? Games after release? When everyone else is playing them too?

    No, wrecking shit with math was definitely Luke Smith, I remember it well.

    You're wrong.

    Yeah, it was definitely Shawn Elliot that made the "wreck your shit with math" comment; I just listened to that particular podcast a couple days ago. I just started listening to 1up yours just shy of a year ago, so I've been hoarding old ones to listen to when I'm working.

    You're wrong.

    I swear, I will hunt down that episode and show it to the world!

    Granted, Shawn Elliot might have said it once, but Luke Smith said it first to John while talking about some submarine game.

  • VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Going back to listen to the 'wrecking your shit with math' vintage 1uY when Luke Smith was a regular.

    Man they need a bungie podcast again. that guy is funny.

    'Wrecking shit with math' was from Shawn Elliot and he said it well after Luke had left (off the top of my head it was after Mark and John left and they were looking for 3rd/4th chair replacements).

    Anyway, really great podcast. I didn't really mind the length since it was the last 1UP Yours we'll get for a LONG time (assuming they even reunite eventually).

    Also, Co-op's great but I'm kinda concerned what they'll do after the GOTY wrap-up. They don't have the same access to early previews and interviews that they did at 1UP so what are they going to cover? Games after release? When everyone else is playing them too?

    No, wrecking shit with math was definitely Luke Smith, I remember it well.

    You're wrong.

    Yeah, it was definitely Shawn Elliot that made the "wreck your shit with math" comment; I just listened to that particular podcast a couple days ago. I just started listening to 1up yours just shy of a year ago, so I've been hoarding old ones to listen to when I'm working.

    You're wrong.

    I swear, I will hunt down that episode and show it to the world!

    Granted, Shawn Elliot might have said it once, but Luke Smith said it first to John while talking about some submarine game.

    Christ I dont know why we're arguing this but...

    I definitely remember it being Shawn Elliot saying it in a convo going from IL-2 to Silent Hunter 4 and him talking about trying to plan out a torpedo trajectory by hand and all the math involved.

    tron_sig_PA.jpg
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    You're wrong.

    I swear, I will hunt down that episode and show it to the world!

    Granted, Shawn Elliot might have said it once, but Luke Smith said it first to John while talking about some submarine game.

    Wrong. Check for yourself if you want.

    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Normally I hate E-drama but in the ever growing story of the 1up closure we now can look at this battle.

    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350398

    Now to give the gist of it is this. James Milke gets rehired by 1up, decides to write a mammoth 11k word blog post a, makes him self sound like gods gift to the Ziff Davis Game Group while calling out unnamed people. EGM alum Greg Sewart calls bullshit all over his blog post.

    Now normally I would just leave it at that BUT Shawn Elliot (FartOfWar on GAF) gives his view and pretty much confirmed James is being very one sided and douchey.

  • CadeCade Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Figured there would be some sort of drama with some people that ended up fired and not fired, there has to be, it's one of the laws of the universe. The fact the whole thing has happened without so much drama was pretty amazing but there you go, got a bit of blood in the water at last. Might lead to more or maybe they'll stop that before it begins.

  • devoirdevoir Registered User
    edited January 2009
    I wonder what Mielke did to get a job again after he was let go.

  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    devoir wrote: »
    I wonder what Mielke did to get a job again after he was let go.

    Like Shane, I don't think he was actually let go in the first place. He just decided to pursue a job in game development after EGM was closed but Sam Kennedy managed to convince him to come back.

    It was mentioned in a blog by him, probably the one right before the infamous 11k word two-parter.

    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • devoirdevoir Registered User
    edited January 2009
    I'll be up front with you guys. I have plans that lie beyond the horizon, dreams that would take me into development (finally), and I told Sam and Simon a few months back that I would most likely be pursuing that dream by summer of 09, which made it easier for me to be 'let go' in the layoffs. But, in what is now a time-honored ritual, Sam Kennedy and I had a dinner at Mel's almost four years after we last met there, to discuss, among other things, my return to 1UP. I admitted that I wasn't much for sitting around doing nothing, and that I was going to be doing something that I might as well do it for 1UP. It would be easier now, for me to do the high-impact projects that you probably know me for. As it turns out, UGO --who never wanted me to leave-- would like that very much, and have welcomed me back with open arms. They've said to me, quite literally, "Dude, the cuffs are off. Go get 'em." I still have a head full of awesome feature ideas; there are some guys on 1UP I want to mentor, and help to become the real new school of games journalism. There are ideas that simply must see the light of day, and I still have enough gas in the tank to keep my editorial flames lit until I decide what I'm doing next. I may eventually move into development, I may not. I don't assume I'm doing anything until I've signed on the bottom line. But what I do know is that for the immediate future, I'm staying right where I am (I'm still not done packing all my shit up at 1UP) and doing the best that I can for every reader we have, and for the people I have the honor of working with every day. Maybe I'll be here forever, we'll see. Sam and UGO have basically taken the leash off me, and the first thing you're going to see from us --which I'm proud to announce-- is the return of 1UP Cover Stories . I know you miss them, I missed them too. Matt Leone and I and the art team at 1UP have been brainstorming the return of our cover stories, and we expect the first two to hit in February, so I do hope you're excited for those. Expect them to be awesome. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

    Wow. I feel lightheaded. Because he is just so awesome. That and his ego has consumed all the oxygen in the room.

  • ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    He's always been a blowhard douche.

    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I basically bought EGM so i could read the Hsu and Chan comics

    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Well, here is, presumably, the last podcast to come out of the death of 1up:

    http://alifewellwasted.com/

    By Robert Ashley. It seems to be taking a different approach, similar to NPR, with short interviews in-between. It's very interesting.

    Wow, I really really like this. :^::^:

  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What the fuck happened to this week's ListenUP?

    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User
    edited February 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    What the fuck happened to this week's ListenUP?

    IIRC, Garnett was in NY for comic-con.

  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Comic-Con

    Edit: RAAASK

    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    But my weekend has remained unconfirmed! :'(

    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Bullied BatRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Can someone update the OP with links to where all these guys are and what they're doing? It's a bit hard to keep track.

  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Area 5 (1up show): http://area5.tv/
    Rebel FM (1up FM, plus Anthony Gallegos and his friend): http://www.eat-sleep-game.com/
    Geekbox Radio (Ryan Scott, Greg Ford, among others): http://www.geekbox.net/
    A Life Well Wasted (Robert Ashley): http://alifewellwasted.com/

    1up Yours and Retronauts are still running. Additionally, Shawn Elliott said a while back that he would some sort of announcement pertaining to podcasts "in the coming weeks".

    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Shawn Elliott said a while back that he would some sort of announcement pertaining to podcasts "in the coming weeks".

    I think that's likely wishful thinking.

    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Bullied BatRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So basically they're all podcasts, no independant websites like Giant Bomb?

    Also, I don't suppose anyone knows how long it takes for UGO to respond to an e-mail resume? They were asking for freelance writers about four weeks ago, but I never got a response back. Not sure if I got rejected, or if they're still tallying up potential employees.

  • AJRAJR You took too long Now your candy's goneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So basically they're all podcasts, no independant websites like Giant Bomb?

    Well no, not yet. It took months for Giant Bomb to get off the ground though. At this stage the websites aren’t being used for a whole lot outside of showcasing the new podcasts/media and twittering.
    Also, I don't suppose anyone knows how long it takes for UGO to respond to an e-mail resume? They were asking for freelance writers about four weeks ago, but I never got a response back. Not sure if I got rejected, or if they're still tallying up potential employees.

    I’m sure UGO have to deal with tons of resumes, so who knows whether it got looked over or not. Just keep hounding anyone you can to look at your work.

  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Bullied BatRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, I could try hounding UGO on a weekly basis if you think that'll help.

  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also, I don't suppose anyone knows how long it takes for UGO to respond to an e-mail resume? They were asking for freelance writers about four weeks ago, but I never got a response back. Not sure if I got rejected, or if they're still tallying up potential employees.

    All the times the 1UP Staff discussed the subject on their podcasts, they just recommended that you continue working on your writing and then sending those samples in.

    Anyway, did anyone else listen to the last episode of Rebel FM? They really need to get rid of Arthur and revert back to the Phil, Nick and Anthony formula (with appearances from Matt, Jay Fresh and either of the Ryan's).

    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Bullied BatRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That's a good idea. Instead of just duplicating my first message, I'll update them with my latest reviews.

  • AJRAJR You took too long Now your candy's goneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It might be worth making a thread over at the Help/Advice forum, since there are probably a few freelance writers who can give you tips.

    Alternatively, this might be helpful.

  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Shawn Elliott said a while back that he would some sort of announcement pertaining to podcasts "in the coming weeks".

    I think that's likely wishful thinking.

    Maybe. I'm just relaying what he said.

    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Anyway, did anyone else listen to the last episode of Rebel FM? They really need to get rid of Arthur and revert back to the Phil, Nick and Anthony formula (with appearances from Matt, Jay Fresh and either of the Ryan's).

    Or at least just try and stay away from idiotic go-nowhere arguments. Arguing the merits of PC centric FPS games with people who played them on console on one side and PC players on the other was just moronic and painful to listen to.

    8t2qhu8l050f.jpg
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Bullied BatRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    AJR wrote: »
    It might be worth making a thread over at the Help/Advice forum, since there are probably a few freelance writers who can give you tips.

    Alternatively, this might be helpful.

    Thanks for that, but since I've already been freelancing for over a year, I'm pretty much caught up on those details.

    I sent UGO another e-mail, this time showcasing my news posting skills, linking them to all the news I've covered so far in BeefJack.

    Edit: A search in monster.com revealed a retailer position from Nintendo.

    I filled a rather lengthy job application, followed by listing some of my website contacts as references. I hope it pays off. It would be pretty amazing to actually work for Nintendo.

    I hate what they're doing with the Wii with a huge passion, but I won't argue that they're one of the biggest companies right now. Working with them would be one heck of an oppurtunity.

1789101113»
Sign In or Register to comment.