As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hard drive has broke- Fixed thank you!

HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello folks.

I can no longer as of this morning load up windows. It crashes to a bsod and gives me an error code. I looked up the code and it seems as if my drive is toast. Is there any way I can get the data off it before i chuck it?

To be fair its an old one (4 years) but if I can save anything it would help me alot.

Thanks.

See all of my Let's Plays Here:
Youtube Channel!
Helloween on

• Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If it's sata can't you just unplug it, and put it into another pc to dump the stuff off it? Assuming it isn't totally fried?

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    If it's sata can't you just unplug it, and put it into another pc to dump the stuff off it? Assuming it isn't totally fried?

Yeah I could I suppose. Never thought of that. But if its not booting up windows would it let me explore the disc on another machine?

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It might. Just try it. I've had luck sometimes, sometimes not. It might be something to do with windows being corrupted. You never know.

Last time this happened to me, I was able to get some stuff off, but not lots :( it'd barely let me explore the drive.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It might. Just try it. I've had luck sometimes, sometimes not. It might be something to do with windows being corrupted. You never know.

Last time this happened to me, I was able to get some stuff off, but not lots :( it'd barely let me explore the drive.

Well im hoping its just a windows error. Im going to try and in a min and i'll let you know how it goes :(

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The other machine I plugged it into ran the chkdsk and fixed it. yay! Thanks for the idea to do that :D

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!