Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[WoW-EU] Obsidian Spur! What makes WoW fun? The people you play it with.

12526272830

Posts

  • KagliciousKaglicious Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, my rogue transfer just finalised, so you should see me on a ton more now :)

  • derangedhermitderangedhermit Madstrike PortugalRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    *Yawn* stuck at connecting/connected :s Guess it has something to do with the US maintenance :(

    EDIT: time to go play with the Dragon Age character creator!

    Battle.net: Madstrike#2175 , GuildWars2: Madstrike.1436
  • SenshiSenshi Registered User
    edited October 2009
    wow

    for someone who's so anti-drama in /o all the time

    that

    that right there?

    that's p drama HEH

    >Signatures
    >2012
    ISHYGDDT
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah well my guild is turning into dick city. What'd you expect? Cookies?

  • EchoEcho staring is caring Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    danx wrote: »
    Yeah well my guild is turning into dick city. What'd you expect? Cookies?

    You must be new to PA.

  • EchoEcho staring is caring Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    The thread will be back tomorrow.

  • LibrarianLibrarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    First one in after the lock :lol:

    So, threat reopened, everyone slept 1 night over it, hope things have cooled down a bit.

    I just wanted to say, that I think a guild meeting or a recap on this forum might be in order, since many people online last night and many of our new members only witnessed the fallout and not what really caused all the "drama".

    That being said, I do hope that Neeps does not leave permanently.
    I also think that Neeps is doing a great job as GM, maybe he just needs a "bad cop" as 2nd in command, someone who cracks down on people being total dicks.

    Just my 2 cent, I know I am not online often enough to have much weight in any major decisions, but it saddens me that a very small, but very vocal and very rude minority ruins the fun for everyone else.

    friedegg wrote: »
    Lord of the Flies. Frightening. Especially if you are a fat kid with glasses.
  • AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Librarian wrote: »
    I also think that Neeps is doing a great job as GM, maybe he just needs a "bad cop" as 2nd in command, someone who cracks down on people being total dicks.

    or, people could stop being total dicks.

    I would like to know what happened...

  • derangedhermitderangedhermit Madstrike PortugalRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Afty wrote: »
    Librarian wrote: »
    I also think that Neeps is doing a great job as GM, maybe he just needs a "bad cop" as 2nd in command, someone who cracks down on people being total dicks.

    or, people could stop being total dicks.

    I would like to know what happened...

    Right now you are the GM. Neeps wants you to send him a PM.

    Battle.net: Madstrike#2175 , GuildWars2: Madstrike.1436
  • AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    there should already be one waiting.

  • derangedhermitderangedhermit Madstrike PortugalRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Was just passing on the message ;)

    (p.s: the request you got on twitter just now is from me ;) )

    Battle.net: Madstrike#2175 , GuildWars2: Madstrike.1436
  • LibrarianLibrarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just sent you a PM, Afty, I am pretty sure I don't know the whole story, since I got no idea what or if anything happened in Officer chat or stuff like that, but that's my side of the story anyway.

    friedegg wrote: »
    Lord of the Flies. Frightening. Especially if you are a fat kid with glasses.
  • KaruwenKaruwen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, now I'm curious too. What happened?

    360 & PSN : Karuwen

    steam_sig.png
  • SenshiSenshi Registered User
    edited October 2009
    we're dicks

    echo, dazaki and zakiel may be new, but I've been a dick since day one. We never pull punches when it comes to puggers, and last night was a pug, no doubt about it. They were horrible, and yes, we are all better then they are. Be glad we were keeping most of the smugness in--that's right--our private vent channel.

    Should we have been nicer? Maybe. On the other hand, these guys had the audacity to try to make us carry them through a raid. They deserve my ridicule.

    RE: Neeps' leadership, he does a fucking fantastic job. Does he need a "bad cop"? Absolutely not. Does he need someone who keeps him grounded so he doesn't lose it and forget that it's all a game? Yes, and he's not the only resident of /o that does.

    Thankfully, the remainder of /o serve as this tether to reality, but they're not always online these days. We have a great crew, officers and members alike (not that there's much of a difference) but we've fallen on hard times lately--the majority of the original founders are taking extended breaks and we've had a constant stream of newcomers for a while now. Will we pull through? I'm sure of it, but not if everyone just gives up.

    The problem might be due to the fact that some people have started taking the game a little too seriously. Loot drops and rolls are random for everyone, wipes happen, raids don't always go as planned and not everyone automatically knows the instance as soon as they set foot (I'm not gonna name names but I think I've covered the three main reasons as to why there's tension in that list, and who is the main culprit. I'll even go as far as to say that yes, I am one of them). OS raids have never been and will hopefully never be srs bsns. That doesn't mean that we can't try hardmodes or attempt to be competitive in terms of progression, but we sure as shit aren't gonna lose sleep over it.

    We play the game because we think it's fun, and because the people we play it with are fun. It's right there in the thread title.

    Don't forget that.

    Edit: on a slightly unrelated note (and yet somehow not), I'll be taking a break once October 28th rolls around with the end of my current subscription. Regarding my return, it's a question of when rather than if. Maybe once 3.3 hits, maybe later. I'll still pay attention to the thread and so help me god if I have to resubscribe prematurely to fix another one of these inane problems I will make you all rue the day you were born. Play nice until I return, I want a warm welcome back from all of you.

    >Signatures
    >2012
    ISHYGDDT
  • derangedhermitderangedhermit Madstrike PortugalRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Senshi wrote: »
    We play the game because we think it's fun, and because the people we play it with are fun. It's right there in the thread title.

    Except, not really. I know that besides me there is at least another person who avoids OS raids(edit: and any other instance) because of the 'dicks'. And i hope that Exe only 'quit' because he needed a break and not also because of that.

    Then again, i'm new and don't really matter much so who the fuck cares.

    Battle.net: Madstrike#2175 , GuildWars2: Madstrike.1436
  • AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I agree with you wave and we've all bagged on pugs before, Powerkil for example. However


    If what you (not specifically you, the royal you) are doing over vent / chat / whatever, is annoying or upsetting someone else. I would expect You / me / whoever to be polite enough to stop it. That is the crux of this issue for me, not what you (again royal) were doing, but that you(r!) didn't stop when it's obviously causing issues for more than 1 person. It's an issue of civility and respect for people you claim to enjoy playing with.

    We (the officers) have spoken recently about lack of focus in raids causing stress for the officers who have run it XXXXX times before and know how it should go and I know that we don't consider raids to be deadly serious, but a balance has to be struck between goofing around and concentrating on getting stuff done and at the minute we are apparently on the wrong side of the balance.

    I know that I am not around much to help out with sort of problems but I am going to be coming back soon, I just hope the guild is there to come back to.

    Remember

    [WoW-EU] Obsidian Spur! What makes WoW fun? The people you play it with.

    is just as true as

    [WoW-EU] Obsidian Spur! What makes WoW not fun? The people you play it with.

  • Prof. AwesomeProf. Awesome Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I can't believe how thin-skinned some of you are.

  • DachandDachand Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What Kolbert said.


    Zak.

  • AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ninja Edits are made of win.

    I don't think it's being thin skinned to want to play a game I play to relax, in a relaxing environment. I also don't see why you should need to be thick skinned to get on with a group of people.

  • SenshiSenshi Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    You must be new to PA.

    >Signatures
    >2012
    ISHYGDDT
  • AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Senshi wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    You must be new to SE++

  • DachandDachand Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Afty wrote: »
    Ninja Edits are made of win.

    I don't think it's being thin skinned to want to play a game I play to relax, in a relaxing environment. I also don't see why you should need to be thick skinned to get on with a group of people.
    I agree.


    So why should I have to stay in a raid where I need to do the job of 4 healers on my own, because they cant do it themselves? And why should I be silenced when I voice my displeasure?

  • AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't agree with the way neeps handled it and I don't agree with what needed to be handled either. If you didnt want to stay in the raid, you could've said that you weren't happy with the raid and left.

    From my meagre understanding of the events that is not what happened?

  • DachandDachand Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Afty wrote: »
    I don't agree with the way neeps handled it and I don't agree with what needed to be handled either. If you didnt want to stay in the raid, you could've said that you weren't happy with the raid and left.

    From my meagre understanding of the events that is not what happened?
    That's exactly what happened.

    I complained about it in vent. Neeps left vent after a while, we stayed in vent and jabbered on. Then he demoted me and the others all of a sudden, and I had no idea where that came from. We wiped on Onyxia, I said I'm not staying around and playing with terrible people, left, and got flak for it.

  • AstnsAstns Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Senshi wrote: »
    I'll be taking a break once October 28th rolls around with the end of my current subscription. Regarding my return, it's a question of when rather than if. Maybe once 3.3 hits, maybe later. I'll still pay attention to the thread and so help me god if I have to resubscribe prematurely to fix another one of these inane problems I will make you all rue the day you were born. Play nice until I return, I want a warm welcome back from all of you.

    Le sigh,

    Seems I can't leave you guys alone for 2 seconds. Seeing as there seems to be some trouble in paradise I shall return when or shortly before Wave leaves to fill the gap.

    Goddamn drama.

  • Prof. AwesomeProf. Awesome Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Everyone seemed in a terrible mood that night, even before the onyxia raid, for whatever reason.

    While I understand the frustration, calling everyone terrible before leaving was probably not necessary.

    But I don't understand how people suddenly have such issues with making fun of bad people, as long as it is kept in guildchat or vent.
    It's kind of what we do, looking back at the early pages of this thread. It's catharsis for us, basically.

  • SenshiSenshi Registered User
    edited October 2009
    The bitching was, yes, entirely in ventrilo. You know, the ventrilo that only we're in? That one?

    The raid was a huge disappointment for everybody. We were expecting a guild like New Dawn and instead we got a motley crew of pug-level players. I can imagine Neeps feeling guilty for this and thusly being in a pissy mood, which is understandable, but I don't see why he didn't just run with it and have a laugh with the rest of us. The level of their playing was hilariously shameful and they deserved whatever I said in parting, which I seem to recall was two lines, one of which was a variation of "my cat's on fire".

    I don't really remember the other thing I said, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't as horrible as I am capable of, or even for what's considered the norm around me.

    The way I see it, these are people I never want to see--let alone raid with--ever again, if only for being such a gigantic waste of my time and energy, particularly given the current state of guild affairs.

    i hope you're all happy with yourselves, i just came from co-piloting an apache with some guy who--when engaging enemy choppers--would do barrel rolls to evade their missiles

    i could be doing much cooler shit right now but i love you all so much that i came all the way from barrelrolling attack helicopters (okay i'll be honest BF2 is still running in the background HEH steam overlay while dead HEH)

    >Signatures
    >2012
    ISHYGDDT
  • AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think that, what I want from the game doesn't really match up to what the majority of the guild want from the game.

    For that reason I am going to be leaving the guild this evening. Thank you all for a great time, raiding naxx with you guys was one of the best times I have had in wow.

    I'll still be on the server so please feel free to give me a shout and say hi.

  • SenshiSenshi Registered User
    edited October 2009
    It's been a good run, Afty. Sorry to see you go--might run into you some other time, some other place.

    Edit: You know, it just occurred to me that you're the only one I'm not very familiar with. You leveled your rogue, stopped leveling him when you brought your lock over, and by the time I got to 80 you were just about to leave again. Huh.

    >Signatures
    >2012
    ISHYGDDT
  • Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm out.

    It was (mostly) fun while it lasted, but if I wanted an SE++ guild - well they have a thread there.

    It's just not for me I guess.

    Farewell.

    steam_sig.png
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    We had some good times.

    I have no idea what I will be doing with myself now.

    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • SenshiSenshi Registered User
    edited October 2009
    this is amazing

    gquits galore, hm i wonder why

    >Signatures
    >2012
    ISHYGDDT
  • Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Senshi wrote: »
    this is amazing

    gquits galore, hm i wonder why

    See this is the problem.

    You just do not get it.

    Last post from me here.

    steam_sig.png
  • AstnsAstns Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
  • SenshiSenshi Registered User
    edited October 2009
    well, you won't see me seeking redemption

    et tu, brute?

    >Signatures
    >2012
    ISHYGDDT
  • AstnsAstns Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    After having found out whats going on and having spoken to those involved, I've decided to call it a day as far as wow is concerned. OS was pretty much the only reason I played wow and however this business turns out, it seems that OS(at least as I knew it) is dead.

    It was good whilst it lasted and I certainly had a blast playing with all of you guys.

    All the best.

  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    so the guild's broken now? oh well :/

    ...just realised that 25mans did break Spur.

    edit: it was prophesised.

  • KaruwenKaruwen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So drama finally hit OS, I guess. Sucks it had to be this way.

    I just want to say I had a great time playing with all of you, this guild was really something. Even though I was never the most vocal or active member, I really did have awesome times here.

    hi5's all around!

    360 & PSN : Karuwen

    steam_sig.png
  • LibrarianLibrarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Senshi wrote: »
    well, you won't see me seeking redemption

    et tu, brute?

    You really enjoy this, don't you?
    ...just realised that 25mans did break Spur.

    No, that's only part of the deal.

    Truth be told, this was coming for as long time.
    I will try to summarize how I see it, so that some of the new members get an idea what this is about, opinions may differ.

    First, in my opinion, it just being a game or us being a PA guild is no excuse for acting like a dick, actually that's a pretty cheap excuse, because while this may be just a game you are playing it with real people.
    Even bad PUG players deserve a modicum of respect, or you are not better than them and your behaviour towards them will fall back on the rest of the guild.

    To be honest, a lot of people found Wavefront's attitude and sense of humor annoying for the longest time and have been dealing with it since the guild was founded, but it was ok, because he was mostly a fun guy to have around and there was only one of him.
    Some of the stuff he did, like ripping off a PUG and taking a blue proto dragon was certainly not ok, but we tolerated it.

    As the guild grew, some people joined us who shared his "values" and sense of humor and this is were things went downhill.
    Wave alone was very vocal on vent, now it was 3 people constantly talking during raids and repeating their little internet memes nonstop and singing and making fun of people and acting like they were god's gift to wow.
    Now, with several people acing dickish and sometimes even towards other guild members this tendency amplified as they rebounded off each other.

    This was really annoying and several times other officers have expressed their dislike, but it did not stop.
    As someone who is new to raiding I found it very hard to filter relevant info from the constant stream of babbling, I am pretty sure others felt the same.
    This has led to some minor drama and several conflicts over the last few weeks, but this behaviour never stopped.

    I don't have any idea what else happened and if there were arguments in officer's chat for example.

    This culminated in the last 25 raid, I didn't participate but listened to vent and there was constant non-stop talking. The whole time talking about how bad the PUG was, that all these people were retarded, that you are never going to PUG with people that don't speak fluent english again, etc.etc.
    I was only listening and not playing and I still couldn't stand it anymore.

    So I can see how some people just left vent, since you just didn't shut up.
    Just quitting the raid after that once more made the whole guild look bad, but I guess you don't see it that way.

    You have not once apologized for your behaviour, no matter how bad, but "that's just me" or "it's just a game" or "but we are PA" or "but he's a good player" doesn't cut it any more after a while.

    So some officers left and made a new guild, because they had enough of this.
    Saying that they take things too seriously and need to get a reality check is just not true, some people just would like to play in a more relaxed environment and with people that respect other people.

    I do not think that the way this has happened has been ideal, as it was some hush hush secret operation so no additional drama would be caused.
    This has of course confused some people, especially the latest members, that might have no clue what this is about.

    I would have preferred a more direct confrontation and give people the opportunity to adress the problem, that's why I am posting here.
    I don't think that people should need to leave the guild to get rid of a few rotten apples, I would have taken a different road, but that decision has been made.

    I feel sorry for our latest additions and people that have only recently transferred to the server and I hope we can solve this and keep together as a guild, though maybe not as OS anymore.

    Osgurd

    friedegg wrote: »
    Lord of the Flies. Frightening. Especially if you are a fat kid with glasses.
  • EchoEcho staring is caring Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    Oh, this old chestnut again. Funny how I see this in every guild.

    Here's the thing: by being the guy that avoids people you dislike without telling anyone, you make yourself as big a part of the problem as the dicks. I have five years experience of quiet people that don't like certain other guildies and never tell anyone, and then suddenly explode in a massive fireball of rage and quit the guild in a storm of expletives.

    That's why we had a Very Important Rule in my last guild: if you have a problem with another guildie, tell an officer. Officers arbitrate and try to solve it.

    We have a bunch of dicks acting like dicks because nobody has expressed this as being a problem, and apparently prefer to quietly seethe instead. Since they're not telling anyone this makes me wonder what their opinion of me is. That's not exactly a position of trust in each other. Hence the Very Important Rule.
    Daxon wrote: »
    so the guild's broken now? oh well :/

    ...just realised that 25mans did break Spur.

    All I see is people deciding to turn independent raid drama into guild drama. Since the whole "Person X doesn't like Person Y and never tells anyone about it" was complete news to me (on account of never telling anyone) I can only assume that it provided a convenient excuse. Feel free to tell me otherwise, because I'd love to know what actually happened. Especially since we have people leaving that weren't even in the dramaraid. I don't have any illusions about these people talking to the Guild Dicks™ about what happened.

    If you never tell anyone, how are we supposed to know that you have a problem with parts of the guild?

This discussion has been closed.