As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Books on Military Symbols and Heraldry

Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I am looking for some books on modern military symbols and heraldry, most specifically their meanings and uses. I'm looking for works relating mostly to the use of symbols in military regalia and uniforms (medals, patches, etc etc).

I'm not looking for collectors guides, unless they specifically describe what each symbol means. Most collectors guides talk about what the patch is made of and where it was made.

A general guide to military symbols would be great (not map symbols), but specific military regimes are fine (Nazi, Soviet). Essentially, I am looking for a book with a historical, or academic focus, not necessarily for collectors.

Please don't just type in military symbols on amazon and link me to it.

So with that, anyone have any ideas where I can find any books like this.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
Forbe! on

• Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I actually looked through Wikipedia a couple weeks ago on this very topic and found a ton of stuff. Try looking at a Wikipedia page and go through the sources that it cites from.

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • Options
    JustPlainPavekJustPlainPavek Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but the Institute of Heraldry is a US Army office responsible for creating badges, medals, unit insignias, and more. Check out their website; links on the righthand side offer an exhaustive listing of all of these symbols, as well as an explanation of their heraldic origins and meanings.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Amazing, thanks.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png